• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

mcfrank

This match just shows how terrible tennis is going to be when Federer and Nadal retire if no young guns step up. The second tier of players are just terrible except as foils to Fed and Nadal.

Vomiaouaf

This is really painful to watch...

"Hey, how about we defend and never move from the baseline? Hell yeah!"

EDIT: Ferrer is a legendary choker.

Bigfoot

"Hey, how about we defend and never move from the baseline? Hell yeah!"
That's pretty much tennis these days. It all started with Nadal and his generation.

I think that is why so many love Federer. He is the last of the old tennis, although he has been pretty much forced to play the baseline game anyways.

Vomiaouaf

That's pretty much tennis these days. It all started with Nadal and his generation.

Yeah, but there were a few players breaking that pattern, including Federer (even though not so successfully) and that made for great matches to watch. Right now, Djokovic/Murray/Ferrer is absolutely dreadful grindfest without much magic in there.

FroJay

Banned
This just shows they need to speed up the courts, the courts are too slow which doesn't allow for enough winners to be hit in a match. So it turns into a grindfest by default because neither player can get the ball by the other one. Guys would come in more and get off the baseline if the tactic was effective, it simply is not on courts this slow. You would see them come in a little more at least if the courts were faster.

Globox_82

Banned
will Novak finally stop playing this shit competition? this could ruin his season if it is serious.
He played injured against delopo in DC back in 2011.

MIMIC

Banned
Soooo....Djokovic has bageled Querrey the last 3 times they have met (and 4 times out of 7 overall)

(edit: reworded)

Dizzan

MINI Member
Does anyone believe Roger has another grand slam in him?

I really can't see it with Djokovic and Murray dominating him lately and Nadal looking really strong again.

I think he would need too much luck ie Nadal and Djokovic injury and Murray having a bad day or losing early in the tournament.

The next 18 months is going to be interesting to see how he plays and how a string of looses will affect his legacy.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

I really can't see it with Djokovic and Murray dominating him lately and Nadal looking really strong again.

I think he would need too much luck ie Nadal and Djokovic injury and Murray having a bad day or losing early in the tournament.

The next 18 months is going to be interesting to see how he plays and how a string of looses will affect his legacy.

Definitely has a chance. Remember, the narrative was effectively the exact same last year, and he pulled through at wimbledon. In general, yes, some luck would be helpful in terms of a favorable draw, but he's kind of in a good position right now in terms of the rankings, since he won't have to face Nadal until the finals, if at all.

I might be crazy for saying so, but I don't think his chances at the French are too bad. He did have a terrible match last year against Djokovic, but that was after a long match against Delpo. He's generally a lock for the semis, so if he keeps his matches short, and Djokovic and Nadal face off, I feel like he has a decent chance to make the final. If he plays Nadal in the final, that's a given end result (he choked a great opportunity away in '11). Then again, he's never played Murray at the French, so who knows how that would end up. I feel like if he had beaten Tsonga quicker at the AO, he would've beaten Murray as well, though that's just conjecture. Would he have won the final? Doubtful, honestly. But he's still capable of making it there. I still say he has it, but I'm not sure how well this shortened schedule is doing for him.

As far as his legacy, I don't think he needs to worry about that even if he does start losing more :p

zero_suit

I'd say this year's Wimbledon is his best chance at one last slam.

Globox_82

Banned
Report: Novak Djokovic ‘in tears’ over ankle injury, says it ‘doesn’t look good’

http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/08/novak-djokovic-ankle-injury-davis-cup-serbia/

Here you can see video of novak in tears. This sucks so much, fuck DC, fuck it!
Just play the vid at the link
http://www.rts.rs/page/sport/ci/story/33/Тенис/1300578/Новак,+повреда+озбиљна.html

BHT8NXICYAAWGKj.jpg

Top Bottom