• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Globox_82

Banned
Damn. He finished off Querry 6-1, 6-0 with that serious of an ankle injury? I hope he recovers soon

that's because anti inflammatory meds kicked in after the second set, his words in on coart post match interview. the seriousness of this type of injury is known once the ankle cools down.

Serious injury is any type of injury that prevents him from practicing for next 2 weeks. And it is clay season now.

that's because anti inflammatory meds kicked in after the second set, his words in on coart post match interview. the seriousness of this type of injury is known once the ankle cools down.

Serious injury is any type of injury that prevents him from practicing for next 2 weeks. And it is clay season now.

Yeah that sucks. Clay season is what he has been looking forward to since his FO final loss to Nadal. He wants that career slam, and if the ankle injury is bad, then he may have to wait until next year

Djokovic is a free 2 points, but thats it. It takes 3 points to win, and if Canada wins doubles, it's anyones match. If the US won doubles, I think the US would have won the tie.

Not sure about Canada's chances in doubles. They almost choked a 2-0 set lead against the Italians. Nestor is a great doubles player but he's 40.

I think it's great that they made it this far but the odds are definitely stacked against them for Serbia.

Globox_82

Banned
Man Globox, I'm glad you're ok. When he lost to Haas in Miami and you weren't posting I feared the worst =P

lol I was banned up to a few days ago :p

His family probably put him on suicide watch :p

Totally serious.

If injury is nothing serious I will take that bet, and add one of my own. Fed won't win a single title before HC comes back :p

EDIT:found this on twitter
Douglas Robson ‏@dougrobson 1h

Word from #Djokovic camp is that ankle appears to be not that bad but he has yet to have an MRI, which will be tonight or tmrw. #atp #tennis

John Dunbar

correct about everything
saw the video of the ankle twist, did not look pleasant. djokovic was kind of a fucking idiot for continuing to play, though.

MIMIC

Banned
10-30 days. That's pretty unspecific. lol

I twisted MY friggin ankle just about a month ago. And just like Novak, I played on. But I kinda see why he did it.

I've never sprained my ankle before and just thought that I mildly tweeked it, so I continued with the match. It didn't hurt that much. It wasn't until after it was over that I realized the severity of my injury. I limped off the court and could barely walk the next day. My ankle swelled up like a balloon.

I'm back to running and jumping now, but I'm gonna give myself an extra week before I get back onto the court (but this nice weather may make me start even sooner). I was pissed more than anything because I never get injured/fall down. I think it was my shoes.

Hopefully Novak recovers nicely and is back in full flight for Madrid/Rome. But Murray seeded No. 1 at Monte Carlo is all kinds of hilarious.

Globox_82

Banned
saw the video of the ankle twist, did not look pleasant. djokovic was kind of a fucking idiot for continuing to play, though.

He did the same crap back in 2011. Injured him self in the final of USO, then flew to Belgrade to play injured vs Delpo, made the injury worse, had to give up as well. He was out for 2 months I think. Returned in Basel and played like crap rest of the season.

Globox_82

Banned
Here is the official statement from Novaks site

09. 04. 2013. · The world’s top player has undergone an MRI examination this morning which revealed no structural damage to the joint capsule and ligaments. A joint structures strain requires therapy and strict rest in the following days.

Depending on the recovery, a decision will be made on Nole’s participation at the upcoming tournament in Monte Carlo.
http://novakdjokovic.com/en/news/tennis/statement-on-novaks-ankle-injury/

Previous "news" that I posted seemed to have come from a shitty site called "Kurir". They tend to fabricate stories. I only just found that out. But since this is from Novaks site, it doesn't sound so bad. even if he skips MC. He will be able to practice soon...

EDIT:"I'm doing the best i can with my team to recover fast for the upcoming tournaments. Very grateful for your support and prayers #NoleFam!

proxy.jpg

Unrelated but funny. Novak retwitted it a few days ago. LOL

BGtzDAsCAAAYZHX.jpg:large

MIMIC

Banned
If Novak is considering Monte Carlo, then the injury must have been relatively minor.

MC starts in a week, right?

LuuKyK

Honestly, I feel for Novak (injuries suck), but yeah he might as well skip Monte Carlo if he is not feeling so well. Would be terrible if it got worse and he wasnt even able to play well. But then again I dont even know how many points he is defending...

Anyway, in more relevant news...

My waifu:

Globox_82

Banned
Honestly, I feel for Novak (injuries suck), but yeah he might as well skip Monte Carlo if he is not feeling so well. Would be terrible if it got worse and he wasnt even able to play well. But then again I dont even know how many points he is defending...

Anyway, in more relevant news...

My waifu:

your wife looks like that russian tennis player, can't remember her name atm....

John Dunbar

correct about everything
does anyone else find it morally questionable for a professional athlete to be hawking candy? federer doing chocolate commercials is borderline, but to have your own brand of sugary death just seems wrong to me.

LuuKyK

does anyone else find it morally questionable for a professional athlete to be hawking candy? federer doing chocolate commercials is borderline, but to have your own brand of sugary death just seems wrong to me.

Not really, since in every single interview she does when promoting the candies she says that to practice sport is one of the best things to do if you want to have a healthy life, and the candies are like a reward to the effort. She used to do that when she was a kid and says it was an incentive of her father on her very early ages (basically, train hard and you will have a lolipop, or something). Its not her fault if the parents skip or completely ignore the sport part of what she says.

Certinty

If Djokovic pulls out of Monte-Carlo, Murray, who's never made a final on clay will be the No.1 seed.

Hoping Djokovic plays, but if not as a Murray fan I look forward to seeing him have that seeding!

Globox_82

Banned
FedKilla for his ninth consecutive title? He's in Murray's half, so Djoker-Nadull final seems most likely.

has draw been announced?
EDIT: Yup just saw it. I hope Andy plays Rafa, I really want to see this "new Andy" vs Rafa. I think Andy just used his chance while Rafa was injured or he would have not won OG and USO. imho

EDIT2:

Hope for Nole vs Gulbis in rnd3.
Novak could play gulbis rnd 3, delpo rnd4, Berdych SF, Rafa

Rafa and Andy easier draws up to SF. Andy could play Tsonga in QF but Tsonga is not that great on clay.

szaromir

Banned
has draw been announced?
EDIT: Yup just saw it. I hope Andy plays Rafa, I really want to see this "new Andy" vs Rafa. I think Andy just used his chance while Rafa was injured or he would have not won OG and USO. imho
What a load of crap.
Regardless, it's clay, Murray's worst surface, nobody's expecting him to win against Nadal.

has draw been announced?

EDIT2:

Hope for Nole vs Gulbis in rnd3.
Novak could play gulbis rnd 3, delpo rnd4, Berdych SF, Rafa

Rafa and Andy easier draws up to SF. Andy could play Tsonga in QF but Tsonga is not that great on clay.

heh why did DelPo get a wild card? He's the 5 seed, his ranking could have gotten him in!

MIMIC

Banned
Nice to see Novak is playing. If anything, I hope it means that his ankle is OK (and he's going to give 100%) rather than using it as a test tournament.

Globox_82

Banned
same here, it sounded pretty bad.

well like he said it was the first time that something like that happened to him. I think he paniced and got a little emotional. MRI showed that it is not so bad, which is great of course.

Nice to see Novak is playing. If anything, I hope it means that his ankle is OK (and he's going to give 100%) rather than using it as a test tournament.

He won't play before Wednesday so that will help as well. 4 more days to rest. He is not practicing 100%. For example he spent 50 min today, while Rafa practiced for 2 hr. It will be a great tournament. Let's hope no one get injured.

Globox_82

Banned
Djokovic Hoping To Be Fit To Play Monte-Carlo

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic confirmed his ankle is feeling better by the day, and is hopeful that he will be able to take to the court for his first match on Wednesday at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.

The 25-year-old Serb, a Monaco resident, twisted his ankle last weekend on Davis Cup duty, and is battling to be fit in time to compete at the Monte-Carlo Country Club. He reached the final of this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 clay-court tournament last year, falling to Rafael Nadal.

“I’m feeling better and better every day,” said Djokovic. “I’m always inspired to play my best in this tournament, because I live in Monaco and I spend the majority of my time, when I’m not at tournaments, here at this club, practising on these courts. I have a lot of friends, people who come to support me during the event. That’s extra motivation and inspiration for me to try to be fit and ready to go.

Visit Official Tournament Website

“I’ve been practising for the past few days on the court and before that I was working on the rehabilitation, strengthening my ankle, and we’re still in the process. Things are looking good. It’s better than I expected it to be. I still can’t 100 per cent guarantee that I will be on the court on Wednesday, because I have to be realistic and cautious and see in practice in the next few days, if I push myself to the limit, if I’m going to have any big problems. It will give me an indication if I should or should not play.

“It’s a very strong tournament and I think there is no room for any compromise, especially not for me. To compete at a high level, I need to be 100 per cent fit. So I’ll be putting on a lot of tape and doing everything I can in order to play. I know there’s a lot of people who expect me to be there. I want to be there more than anybody. I consider this place very special to me. Myself and my team will do everything in our power.

Djokovic confirmed he will decide by Tuesday at the latest if he will be fit to play his opening match against either Mikhail Youzhny or Daniel Gimeno-Traver.

“I have the understanding of the Tournament Director and the tournament organisers, which is important to me,” said the Belgrade native. “I’m more optimistic than I was at the beginning of the week, that’s for sure. I’m on court. This is the third day in the row that I’m practising. My practices haven’t been 100 per cent effort, but I’ve been increasing it day-by-day. The state of my ankle is more positive than I expected it to be.”

szaromir

Banned
what is load of crap?
Stating that he only won what he won because some other player was injured. You could put that asterisk to any champion ever. Eg. if only delpo didn't have his wrist injury, we would be living in the delpo era not, not in the djoker era etc.

Globox_82

Banned
Stating that he only won what he won because some other player was injured. You could put that asterisk to any champion ever. Eg. if only delpo didn't have his wrist injury, we would be living in the delpo era not, not in the djoker era etc.

lol are you being serious when comparing those two? ok never mind.

After winning the Houston clay court tournament, John Isner gets bounced first round in Monte Carlo to Gulbis. lol at least MIMIC is happy about that result

szaromir

Banned
lol are you being serious when comparing those two? ok never mind.
Comparisons between the two would go the other way around if not for del Potro's injury. :p not serious here, still the original point remains

I'm loving the ongoing Djoker-Youzhny match, many fantastic points.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
so novak going out in next two round? he looked like crap to me. I also pick stan for an potential upset tomorrow.

Eh, Monaco's a decent clay court player, but I doubt it. Stan winning is possible. Hope Nadal v Kohlschreiber is decent

Top Bottom