• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Saty

Fognini finds momentum every year before RG. A player i like watching and would like him to do better all-year.

I really hope they seed nadal over murray in RG. That way we won't have a Nadal/Djoko semi or even QF and the other two clowns mug it out on the other side.

szaromir

Banned
I really hope they seed nadal over murray in RG. That way we won't have a Nadal/Djoko semi or even QF and the other two clowns mug it out on the other side.
Just imagine Djoker/Rafa/Fed in top half and Murray/Ferrer in the bottom one.

If Nadal wins Monte Carlo and Rome he should be the #1 seed at RG no question about it.

Globox_82

Banned
why is novak doing this to himself? if he is injured he can't win this, he can only make it worse and maybe get a serious problem with ankles in the future. I don't get it really.
Unless he is faking it.

Globox_82

Banned
Dimitrov putting a solid fight vs Rafa in second set. Showing his talent.
EDIT1: wow he will have a chance to seve for the second set.
EDIT2: WOW he breaks rafa twice and takes the second set. Only 3rd set Rafa ever lost in MC.
I think Rafa is clearly not 100% no intensity atm. I still think he will get this.
EDIT3: rafa taking a time out before 3rd set, probably to take that famous juice he has been using for 8 years now. Expect him to be a different man now...

LuuKyK

Go Djoker!

But man I feel for Grigor, he almost had it. :( he has been playing amazing tennis lately, I guess dating sharapova helped lol Anyway, I foresee a great future for him if he keeps improving.

Globox_82

Banned
I can't understand why people like tsonga. Guy has no tennis IQ just raw power and mentally he is a joke.
Just one more proof why Dimitrov will soon be the next big thing(top 8 imo). Guy has all the shoots and high tennis IQ like roger.

szaromir

Banned
I can't understand why people like tsonga. Guy has no tennis IQ just raw power and mentally he is a joke.
Just one more proof why Dimitrov will soon be the next big thing(top 8 imo). Guy has all the shoots and high tennis IQ like roger.
Tsonga is a very smart player actually, he's turned around many matches in his career.
His backhand can be very wonky though, and he doesn't cover the ground as well as the top 5 guys.

Globox_82

Banned
Tsonga is a very smart player actually, he's turned around many matches in his career.
His backhand can be very wonky though, and he doesn't cover the ground as well as the top 5 guys.

last 3 TBP prove my point. Nadal having a match point.

EDIT: he won...I can't stand Rafa when playing like this. just spin spin spin and waiting for a mistake. or passing shot.

szaromir

Banned
last 3 TBP prove my point. Nadal having a match point.
From 3-3 in the TB Nadal hit 1 brilliant passing shots and Tsonga hit 2 poor backhhands. However, two poor points do not prove anything, Federer's countless shanks would lead you to believe he's a terrible player.

Globox_82

Banned
From 3-3 in the TB Nadal hit 1 brilliant passing shots and Tsonga hit 2 poor backhhands. However, two poor points do not prove anything, Federer's countless shanks would lead you to believe he's a terrible player.

except he has 17 GS and 75+ titles so your comparisson is ridiculous.

Globox_82

Banned
It wasn't a comparison, it was just an extreme example. What is ridiculous is your viewpoint - you either have multiple slam champions or terrible players with nothing inbetween.

please quote where I called tsonga "terrible", don't put words into my month.
I said he has low tennis IQ. Has all the shots(BH ?) and when it clicks he can be brilliant but most of the time he does silly mistakes, or doesn't know what to do. Compare that to Dimitrov from yesterday. He stayed in that match thanks to smart play. That was my point. Tsonga is frustrating to watch because of this (IMO).

Globox_82

Banned
Well dream final. Neither of the players are 100%.
Rafa favorite imo, won last 3 clay matches vs Novak. that counts.

"Rafa, happy to play Djokovic in he final?":"No. (Smile and general laugh) I'm not that stupid to want to play the best, better when easier"

I hate this Rafa BS. No way Novak is "best" on clay. Drop that nonsense. You were using it on Roger for years.

EDit ""I'm not getting out there against Nadal to play my best, I'm getting out there to win", Djokovic.””

BITjFtbCMAAtuzT.jpg:large

szaromir

Banned
please quote where I called tsonga "terrible", don't put words into my month.
I said he has low tennis IQ. Has all the shots(BH ?) and when it clicks he can be brilliant but most of the time he does silly mistakes, or doesn't know what to do. Compare that to Dimitrov from yesterday. He stayed in that match thanks to smart play. That was my point. Tsonga is frustrating to watch because of this (IMO).
Mistakes just come with the territory. Aggressive play-style results in errors.

Tsonga does have tendency to go down on himself or sometimes he loses focus (which both happened today), but certainly doesn't have low tennis IQ. He can certainly construct a point like very few others can. He also went up the rankings from #22 up to #5 in the period he did not have a coach.

Globox_82

Banned
(CNN) -- The scene is set: the world's best tennis player against "the King of Clay."

"I'm not going out there to play my best; I'm going out there to win," Novak Djokovic said after setting up a Sunday final showdown with eight-time defending champion Rafael Nadal at the Monte Carlo Masters.

"Whenever you play Rafa, you know what to expect -- you expect the toughest challenge possible on clay. I'm ready for that. I'm very happy that physically, mentally, emotionally I have been improving as the tournament was going on. Each day I feel better on the court, more confident."

The world No. 1 brushed aside Italy's Fabio Fognini on Saturday, winning 6-2 6-1 in less than an hour to give himself a chance of avenging his defeat to the Spaniard in last year's title match in the principality, and also that of 2009.

Read: Nadal survives quarterfinal scare

"Of course, I will have to be on top of my game," the Serbian said. "I will have to be focused and motivated from the start to the end in order to have any chance of winning against Nadal. I need to have a very optimistic mindset in order to get a win."
Can 'Baby Federer' become a champion?
Little girl takes on tennis giants
The story behind Sharapova's success
Tipsarevic's clay court master class

While Djokovic is returning to fitness after injuring his ankle on Davis Cup duty earlier this month, Nadal's longterm knee problems seem to be behind him after earning his fifth consecutive final appearance since his February comeback.

The 11-time grand slam champion was tested for the second match in a row before defeating France's world No. 8 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-3 7-6 (7-3) in Saturday's opening semifinal in one hour and 36 minutes.

"Playing five tournaments in a row after injury, being in five finals in a row is great," said Nadal, who has won three of four of those so far.

"It will be very tough. Djokovic brings you to the limit of your game if you want to have chances to win. I know I have to play better than what I did today and yesterday to try to win tomorrow. I have to play more aggressive."

Read: Tennis is clean, says Tipsarevic

They have not met since Nadal won last year's French Open final -- his record seventh title on the red clay of Roland Garros -- and the Spaniard holds a 19-14 career advantage in their matches.

"These kind of matches are special all the time. I am very happy to have the chance to play these kind of matches another time," said Nadal, whose only defeat in 49 appearances in Monte Carlo was back in 2003.

what dude picked Novak. Well maybe if it is cool as in last two days. Than Novak can take the ball and the rise and crush it
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/...arlo-2013-Saturday-Experts-Final-Preview.aspx

Akira

"These kind of matches are special all the time. I am very happy to have the chance to play these kind of matches another time," said Nadal, whose only defeat in 49 appearances in Monte Carlo was back in 2003.

What? Isn't Nadal undefeated at Monte Carlo?

Top Bottom