• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Certinty

Just to be clear I am for faster courts and more variation, but blue clay is not clay. It is really fast, with lower bounce and slippery, that is not clay.
That's the thing though, excluding it being slippery last year, it wasn't much different in the other departments.

I can't say I'm glad that the blue clay has gone, but I am glad all the top players are playing Madrid.

Globox_82

Banned
That's the thing though, excluding it being slippery last year, it wasn't much different in the other departments.

I can't say I'm glad that the blue clay has gone, but I am glad all the top players are playing Madrid.

except it was very fast aka nothing like clay is supposed to be.

Certinty

except it was very fast aka nothing like clay is supposed to be.
But it's always pretty fast anyway as it's at altitude.

Perhaps it was a little faster last year but given the amount of ridiculously slow hardcourts we have on tour now it's refreshing to see such a fast surface even if it is clay.

Globox_82

Banned
But it's always pretty fast anyway as it's at altitude.

Perhaps it was a little faster last year but given the amount of ridiculously slow hardcourts we have on tour now it's refreshing to see such a fast surface even if it is clay.

Like I said I agree. and some 250 events should do it. but you can't do it 3 weeks before RG. The whole point is to prepare for that event. and it was way way faster. Or rafa would not struggle as he did. He was unable to produce any top spin. I like how it looks (not how it plays(since it is supposed to be clay even- call it blue clay event))and I would like to see it in smaller events. But not 3 weeks before RG, when top players are tunning their game.

Certinty

Like I said I agree. and some 250 events should do it. but you can't do it 3 weeks before RG. The whole point is to prepare for that event. and it was way way faster. Or rafa would not struggle as he did. He was unable to produce any top spin. I like how it looks (not how it plays(since it is supposed to be clay even- call it blue clay event))and I would like to see it in smaller events. But not 3 weeks before RG, when top players are tunning their game.
Fair enough. I agree.

Would actually pretty nice to have some smaller events on har-tru too. One thing I actually like the WTA for is having an event on that type of clay.

mcfrank

As a Federer fan, I loved the blue clay. It would be nice to see some of the March hardcourt tournaments like Indian Wells and Miami switch to it. So HC for aussie, then fast clay through March, then slow clay through RG. The only problem with this is they would just start slowing down the blue clay like they do everything else these days =(

Globox_82

Banned
Maybe our athletes should cut out Gluten. Djokovic became a different animal when he dropped Gluten from his diet.

well even before that he was nr 3 for 4 years. Won a slam as 20 year old. 5 master he had 20 titles before gluten thing. I don't think it was just gluten. that DC win helped all Serbian players.

btw Fun fact Piere was eating pizza before his match vs Rafa(a few days ago) lol

well even before that he was nr 3 for 4 years. Won a slam as 20 year old. 5 master he had 20 titles before gluten thing. I don't think it was just gluten. that DC win helped all Serbian players.

btw Fun fack Piere was eating pizza before his match vs Rafa(a few days ago) lol

haha. i played a guy once that brought water, iced coffee, and coca-cola on the court. He beat me too! whatever works I guess?

But dude, Donald Young and Ryan Harrison might face each other in the Savannah final! The future of US men's tennis!!

wish I was dead

Dolan lost in the semis to an Argentine ranked 193. Harrison is still playing his semifinal match, but his ranking has dropped to 100. If he drops one more place, he'll have to try to qualify for Roland Garros. lol

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
haha. i played a guy once that brought water, iced coffee, and coca-cola on the court. He beat me too! whatever works I guess?

Dolan lost in the semis to an Argentine ranked 193. Harrison is still playing his semifinal match, but his ranking has dropped to 100. If he drops one more place, he'll have to try to qualify for Roland Garros. lol

When I posted that, they hadn't started yet. And wasn't expecting anything anyway lol

Globox_82

Banned

I think that ownage from novak at AO demoralized Ryan. He was talking how he has a chance to beat Novak, then he got trashed, big time. Tennis is such a "head" sport. Confidence and all that stuff.

I think that ownage from novak at AO demoralized Ryan. He was talking how he has a chance to beat Novak, then he got trashed, big time. Tennis is such a "head" sport. Confidence and all that stuff.

His rationale was that he lost to Novak 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 at Wimbledon, and he felt like his game had improved or was better on a hard surface. But Novak's best surface is the hard court so he took him to the woodshed in that match.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
btw Fun fact Piere was eating pizza before his match vs Rafa(a few days ago) lol

Aww man, this is almost the best part of evening/night matches in the summer! I'd chow down on those doner kebab snacks so hard during the side switches. Usually with a red bull or lipton iced tea as well

After the match a cigarette is great too sometimes, although having this all typed out I realize how unhealthy it all actually sounds :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Verdasco beat NADAL. lol

That shit was not clay.

Last 3 clay matches between the two
Monte Carlo (red clay): Nadal wins 6-0, 6-1
Barcelona (red clay): Nadal wins 6-0, 6-4
Madrid (blue clay): Verdasco wins 6-3, 3-6, 7-5

Sets Verdasco won against Nadal on red clay in 6 clay meetings: ZERO
Sets won on blue clay: TWO
And just for fun....number of times Nadal has bageled Verdasco on red clay: THREE

They should keep the experiments in the challenger circuit, not the pro tour.

szaromir

Banned
Sets Verdasco won against Nadal on red clay in 6 clay meetings: ZERO
Sets won on blue clay: TWO
And just for fun....number of times Nadal has bageled Verdasco on red clay: THREE
It would help if Nadal didn't deliberately tank the match by wasting 5*-2 lead in the third.

Just to be clear I am for faster courts and more variation, but blue clay is not clay. It is really fast, with lower bounce and slippery, that is not clay.
It has nothing to do with the dye, but the structure of the court and the altitude (600m above see level vs most tournaments being played near sea level) and hot and dry conditions.

I have nothing against red clay though, the season is 2 months only so it's OK if those tournaments are played only on a red/orange clay. The blue clay they had last year was beautiful though.

Peru

Top WTA players keep up last year's trend of stability. The top 3, Silliams, Azarenka, Sharapova, have lost a total of 2 matches to players not among those top 3 this year.

LuuKyK

Top WTA players keep up last year's trend of stability. The top 3, Silliams, Azarenka, Sharapova, have lost a total of 2 matches to players not among those top 3 this year.

i15JN1taaKvoA.gif

PorschePova. The blue one
Dimitrov
she won this year looks cooler. Congrats on the
contract
title Maria. :)

Globox_82

Banned
It would help if Nadal didn't deliberately tank the match by wasting 5*-2 lead in the third.

It has nothing to do with the dye, but the structure of the court and the altitude (600m above see level vs most tournaments being played near sea level) and hot and dry conditions.

I have nothing against red clay though, the season is 2 months only so it's OK if those tournaments are played only on a red/orange clay. The blue clay they had last year was beautiful though.

So you are saying Marid 2011 on red clay vs Madrid 2012 on blue clay had same speed? Of course Madrid is the fastest clay evnet, everyone knows this, but it is still clay event. Look at some YT videos from previous years, it still plays like clay. Difference is ball travels faster through the air. With blue clay it was WAY faster, ball would speed up like crazy once it hit the ground and it would stay low. Rafa was unable to produce any top spin(not supposed to happen on clay). It was slipery as well. So yeah in short it's not the same.

When I posted that, they hadn't started yet. And wasn't expecting anything anyway lol

Ryan Won the Challenger last week, American tennis SAVED!! lol

FD2A9405D72E4CF29B13A7BB5BCE2B8E.ashx

Him and his brother are both playing in a challenger this week too. I wonder how much longer until Ryan's brother beats him. They are on opposite sides of the draw so odds are they won't face each other this tournament.

szaromir

Banned
Nadal's (and many other athletes) doctor has been claimed guilty for giving athletes doping. However, all the court evidence (including the athletes' blood samples) is to be destroyed. Sounds like a huge cover up. Maybe all the jokes about Nadal's juice do not stretch too far away from the truth.

I know, but I just hope that's not the case. If players are doping, I hope it's just a select few and not as rampant and wide spread as it is/was in cycling.

Cycling is just the sport that happened to actually catch the players doing it. I have no doubt that other sports around the world have just as big problems with performance enhancing drugs. It's kind of annoying how sports like cycling have been shat on when other huge sports around the world don't put anywhere near as much effort into catching players using them.

Peru

Cycling is just the sport that happened to actually catch the players doing it. I have no doubt that other sports around the world have just as big problems with performance enhancing drugs. It's kind of annoying how sports like cycling have been shat on when other huge sports around the world don't put anywhere near as much effort into catching players using them.

Not really. I'm sure you're partly right - some sports are as 'clean' as they are because not enough effort has been put into catching dopers, but there are obvious differences to how much you can gain simply by performance enchancing drugs in some sports compared to others.

Having said that it's pretty obvious from players' (and others) statements that tennis has been way to lax on it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Impressive win by Stan today. Didn't expect that.

And the Sloane-Serena stuff is hilarious. Sloane should focus on winning consecutive matches instead of falling for reporter bait.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sloane beat Serena again? That's good stuff

Nooo Nemo stahp.

There is no way someone genuinely liked that stupid slippery mess of a clay court. It may be pretty to look at, but no...
For looks I'm serious man, it was very nice to look at. Actual playing I can't judge haha

Peru

More drama:

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters 2h
BREAKING: John Tomic allegedly arrested 3 days ago in Madrid 4 head butting/breaking nose/knocking out Bernie's French hitting partner.
...John Tomic said to have spent 1-2 days in jail. Hitting partner still in Madrid with neck brace on & badly broken nose in cast

No but she says Serena froze her out after losing last time http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/04/sloane-stephens-serena-williams-2/

Ha. Sloane has had a 2-6 record since beating Serena at the AO. That's embarrassing. Maybe she should team up with Melanie Oudin in doubles at the French. American hopeful busts need to stick together

LuuKyK

For looks I'm serious man, it was very nice to look at. Actual playing I can't judge haha

Oh, yeah, as I said, I definitely agree that is LOOKS very nice. If only they could find a way to make it better to play at. I say that based on the massive amount of players complaint if nothing else.

More drama:

BREAKING: John Tomic allegedly arrested 3 days ago in Madrid 4 head butting/breaking nose/knocking out Bernie's French hitting partner.
...John Tomic said to have spent 1-2 days in jail. Hitting partner still in Madrid with neck brace on & badly broken nose in cast

No but she says Serena froze her out after losing last time http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/04/sloane-stephens-serena-williams-2/

I dont know, it just looks like Sloane is only trying to have her 15 minutes. I may be wrong but why would she do all this just because Serena is not the nicest person to her, something she doesnt need to be at all. All this plus the fact that the latest results from Sloane have been a mess overall. She went downhill after the win over Serena. But yeah, this is all really weird.

Btw, Peru, did you see Marias new photoshoot (Im guessing you are a fan based on your avatar :p)? The sport website I go for news just posted some of them in the tennis section:

Jesus. Those legs
and everything else
are to die for. @__@

Ha. Sloane has had a 2-6 record since beating Serena at the AO. That's embarrassing. Maybe she should team up with Melanie Oudin in doubles at the French. American hopeful busts need to stick together

lololol I remember this Oudin girl. Wasnt she the one that made ridiculous statements about politics/religion? Such a has been, never even heard of her after that...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
More drama:

Oooh drama :lol

If anything, tennis players are the ones who shouldn't act like rockstars off the stage. I think it definitely messes with performance and growth big time. It's almost a damn shame having worked most of your life to play tennis only to throw it away in the most important time of your career. I loved Tomic's game when I first noticed, but seeing him act like a douchebag of court and interviews makes me think maybe he hasn't thought it all through enough to realize how far he can come. Or maybe he has realized it and doesn't want to sacrifice that much

ghstwrld

Sloane sounds delusional...

Wasn't she always talking about how they're good friends, even up to like a couple of weeks ago during Fed Cup?

lol

Sloane ain't a bust brahs, I love how she speaks her kind in that SI interview...

Not yet, but she's headed down that same beaten path as Oudin. Find success in one major as a young teen, have a bad subsequent season that was brushed off as a "sophomore slump" and never gets her game back to the level she once played at. Sloane made the 4th round of the French last year so she has points to defend too.

MIMIC

Banned
Sloane sounds delusional...

Wasn't she always talking about how they're good friends, even up to like a couple of weeks ago during Fed Cup?

lol

Yeah, I read her comments and was thinking, "Wait, did SHE also perpetuate the fact that they had good, current relationship?"

Top Bottom