• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nadal's down a set to Ferrer. Ferrer broke in the second for 4-2, but then Nadal broke back at love for 4-3 :p

Edit: now 4-4

Edit2: and the standard Spanish player choke begins...

Edit3: And he breaks back? Weird. That doesn't usually happen :p

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hahaha at Ferrer hitting the ball right too Nadal. Pathetic.

The amazing thing is how surprised he is each time that it comes back to bite him in the ass

Well he just got broken after hitting a simple forehand way out. No point in watching this one anymore.

Djokovic losing early - Hahalol
Federer losing early - Well he has to start getting old one day =P
Nadal losing to Ferrer on clay - Pretty sure that would indicate the coming apocalypse. I bet it's even in the bible and stuff.

LuuKyK

Whats with these guys that defeat the favorites just to fold in the next round. I mean its expected since you had to peak sooner and had to kinda lower you enthusiasm since you have already done much more than was expected of you. But still, Dimitrov and Kei... what a missed opportunity. :( I still think Grigor is a much more promising player though.

szaromir

Banned
Nadal losing to Ferrer on clay - Pretty sure that would indicate the coming apocalypse. I bet it's even in the bible and stuff.
I think Nadal did lose once on clay to Ferrer
back when he was still babyRafa though

Whats with these guys that defeat the favorites just to fold in the next round. I mean its expected since you had to peak sooner and had to kinda lower you enthusiasm since you have already done much more than was expected of you. But still, Dimitrov and Kei... what a missed opportunity. :( I still think Grigor is a much more promising player though.
Dimitrov's loss was easy to predict, although the match was somewhat close. I'm surprised about Nishikori though, he's been flying under the radar but already has some big wins at slams and two ATP500, he should be experienced enough to sustain his level and his opponent wasn't exactly on the level of Wawrinka.

As for Wawrinka, after years of countless chokes he deserves some deep runs and perhaps even titles. But I like Tsonga more, maybe at these freak courts he could his first Masters since forever.

MIMIC

Banned

Federer has been "old" for about 5 years now apparently.

MIMIC

Banned
And he's won 5 slams as an old man, almost as many as Djokovic total lol.

If any, it's been 1 (Wimbledon last year). Fed doesn't magically become "old" when he gets beaten

If some people had their way, Fed was "old" back in 2005 when he lost to Safin

qindarka

Banned
Stats of Grand Slam winners show a sharp decline between the ages of 26 and 27. He is old in tennis terms, for a few years at least.

MIMIC

Banned
Stats of Grand Slam winners show a sharp decline between the ages of 26 and 27. He is old in tennis terms, for a few years at least.

That's when you take into account everyone that has ever won a slam. The greats win slams PAST that age and beyond. Agassi, Sampras, Federer....

szaromir

Banned
I've never seen a player asking for the balls during a changeover. I imagine if one did (under normal circumstances), it would cause quite a ruckus among the ballkids and the umpire. I mean, just imagine:
umpire: "-player x leads y games z. new balls please"
player 1: "oh yeah hand over those balls to me"
umpire and ballkids: "WHAT???!!!"
My point is, the ballkids must have been instructed to do it before the match and the umpire asked not to make any remarks. I know it reeks of conspiracy, but it's Madrid with its bad reputation and they probably wanted to have a Spanish player in the semis as well.

Peru

At least I don't think we'll see it allowed again.

Bulgarian reporters - a special breed:

BJ_QrPKCEAEPb3k.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
They need to play mixed in the French. Also, I hope Dmitrov doesn't mind a 3 way relationship because right now Serena owns her. Tomorrow is her next appointment.
Wasn't he close with Serena before? Maybe Sharapova got mad and snagged him up real quick :lol

Anyway, I'd really like to see him succeed, even tho his game is different enough from Fed it's still almost as entertaining to watch!

So happy Wawrinka managed to come back. Down a break and 15-40 I thought it was over and that stupid fuck Berdych would go on. But he breaks back and manages to break again to win yayyyyyyyyy.

Saty

Not like the drubbing in the first set. But still good. Somewhat embarrassing that the 2nd ranked player in the world can't do much against the 1st when lower ranked players give Serena a tougher battle.

szaromir

Banned
Not like the drubbing in the first set. But still good. Somewhat embarrassing that the 2nd ranked player in the world can't do much against the 1st when lower ranked players give Serena a tougher battle.
It's a match-up issue and Serena probably doesn't come out as focused against lower ranked opponents.

Title #50, incredible. She should pass Davenport and Seles soon enough.

LuuKyK

Its just a bad match up for Maria because they play VERY similar, just that Serena is better in everything when compared. Didnt help that Maria's first serves were non existent and ServeBotRena was hitting everything in the lines. Maria has to play perfect and wish for Serena not to play so well to win. Her best chance would be in Rome or Roland Garros where the surface is not so fast (the Madrid clay is not slow), it would still be hard as hell though.

Top Bottom