• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nadal grinding down a grinder, same as usual. Ferrer's going after Nadal's second serve, so there's that.

Caught a bit of the first set and figured it was going to be a typical straight set win from Nadal. Looks like we might get to see another Ferrer third set chokejob though if he wins the second :p

szaromir

Banned
Caught a bit of the first set and figured it was going to be a typical straight set win from Nadal. Looks like we might get to see another Ferrer third set chokejob though if he wins the second :p
Nadal does everything to tire Ferrer out, chasing those endless dropshots/lobs combos must take a lot of energy out of Ferrer. If it goes to the third Nadal will win it easily like last week.

Niraj

Man, Jerzy is killing his serves. Fed's going to have to hope he drops off a bit in that regard if he wants to break. He's having trouble getting balls back into play at all.

Edit: well done by Fed! Takes the first set 6-4. We'll see how Jerzy regroups.

Niraj

So I take it chances for Janowicz win are non existent ? Still pretty happy for him, he showed he was not one hit wonder. I hope he can keep it up.

Yupikayey !

Quiet you :p
Jerzy holds to consolidate, 2-0 lead

szaromir

Banned
So I take it chances for Janowicz win are non existent ? Still pretty happy for him, he showed he was not one hit wonder. I hope he can keep it up.
He has more to his game than the likes of Raonic or Isner, but I can't warm up to him for some reason. Still, he should be in top 10 within the next two years, but tonight Fed must win!

Niraj

He really needs to rein in the dumb drop shot use. There's a time and place for it, but he uses it too frequently, in my opinion.

szaromir

Banned
He really needs to rein in the dumb drop shot use. There's a time and place for it, but he uses it too frequently, in my opinion.
It cost him dearly, but overall it's a great strategy against most guys. When you know you might need to go to the net at any time, you're a lot less comfortable just trading blows at the baseline, which is how most players play.

Niraj

It cost him dearly, but overall it's a great strategy against most guys. When you know you might need to go to the net at any time, you're a lot less comfortable just trading blows at the baseline, which is how most players play.

There's an argument towards unpredictability, but it could be argued that his overreliance on it would make it less of a surprise. Granted, I've only watched him 3-4 times, but that's just what I've noticed. Seems more of a liability than an asset. He's got plenty of other strengths without using one every game or so.

phaze

He has more to his game than the likes of Raonic or Isner, but I can't warm up to him for some reason. Still, he should be in top 10 within the next two years, but tonight Fed must win!

This isn't a very important tournament right ? I love Fed but would like to have Janowicz win against him, he's not gonna get many more chances at that.

Oh I agree from what little I've seen (I'm a complete bandwagoner) he constantly overuses it.

4:2 !!!!

Niraj

This isn't a very important tournament right ? I love Fed but would like to have Janowicz win against him, he's not gonna get many more chances at that.

This is one of two master tournaments Federer hasn't won (I think monte carlo is the other?). It'd be nice if he won it once.

Plus his year has been shit. He needs more match wins, quite frankly.

Niraj

Yesssssssss
Well played by Federer! Glad he came back after getting down early in the second. He's gotta feel good about that.

Niraj

I know, he's one of them best in history, I'll look it up.
Maybe if Berdych tires Nadal out we can have another Madrid 2009? Tomorrow vs Paire, another promising young gun.

edit: Fed is the best:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Reliability-Zone/Reliability-Tie-Breakers-Career-List.aspx

Ideally Berdych will take it to three, but I'd be surprised. I'm not too worried about Paire, I just hope Fed doesn't get destroyed by Nadal in the final. He's looked relatively vulnerable here so I'm kind of encouraged by that. Still the heavy favorite though.

Niraj

Women's final is Serena vs Azarenka. Should be better than Serena vs Sharapova was last week.

Niraj

Meh this was a foregone conclusion. Berdych hasn't beaten Nadal in 7 years.

Berdych...

Anything including Azarenka in it is already worse by default. Hopefuly Godrena will destroy her.

Probably will, but it'll still be a better final than if Sharapova was there.

BLACKLAC

Anything including Azarenka in it is already worse by default. Hopefuly Godrena will destroy her.

Sharapova pulling out when she had a tough draw was weak but the way she was playing I doubt she would have beat Errani let alone Serena or Azarenka.

Peru

Sharapova pulling out when she had a tough draw was weak but the way she was playing I doubt she would have beat Errani let alone Serena or Azarenka.

Eh? She seemed to have upped her game compared to Madrid and was breezing through first rounds. She won Stuttgart while playing at half potential.

This was her first withdrawal of this kind in like 5 years -- you can say a lot of things but that accusation just doesn't hold up.

She will beat anyone not Serena on clay 9/10 times at this point.

BLACKLAC

Eh? She seemed to have upped her game compared to Madrid and was breezing through first rounds. She won Stuttgart while playing at half potential.

This was her first withdrawal of this kind in like 5 years -- you can say a lot of things but that accusation just doesn't hold up.

She will beat anyone not Serena on clay 9/10 times at this point.

Yeah she did great in Madrid, it was an easy draw especially with Azarenka getting knocked out early but she handled her business up to the final. I was just really interested to see how she would handle her draw in Rome. Three setter against Garbine and played terrible against Sloane despite the score line. Sharapova probably should have double bageled Sloane the way she was playing.

I dunno, the way she was playing I could see Errani beating her on clay.

Reyne

Ugh. One match away from another Fedal final. And on clay too. It's enough to make me squirm. Even if I know beforehand that Fed will most likely lose, it still hurts to watch... I mean, if Fed put up a good fight we'll probably have an entertaining match, but that will just make a loss hurt more. Oh well.

LuuKyK

Yeah she did great in Madrid, it was an easy draw especially with Azarenka getting knocked out early but she handled her business up to the final. I was just really interested to see how she would handle her draw in Rome. Three setter against Garbine and played terrible against Sloane despite the score line. Sharapova probably should have double bageled Sloane the way she was playing.

I dunno, the way she was playing I could see Errani beating her on clay.

Wut!? She didnt go three sets against Muguruza... And she destroyed Sloane playing very well. Im not sure what you are talking about. And why would she retire being afraid of serena? Lol she lost to her countless times and already said she is her favorite opponent. I dont see her trying to escape at all, specially considering her retirement historic (when was the last time she retired?) She would easily beat Errani and have a great chance against Azarenka.

BLACKLAC

Wut!? She didnt go three sets against Muguruza... And she destroyed Sloane playing very well. Im not sure what you are talking about. And why would she retire being afraid of serena? Lol she lost to her countless times and already said she is her favorite opponent. I dont see her trying to escape at all, specially considering her retirement historic (when was the last time she retired?) She would easily beat Errani and have a great chance against Azarenka.

Eh, you're right about Muguruza my fault. I just caught the match against Sloane and for how poor Sloane was playing it seemed like Sharapova was having a harder time than she should of. Never said she was afraid of Serena, just that it was weak I couldn't see her against a tougher draw compared to Madrid.

Top Bottom