• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Reyne

Federer did well to deliver that double bagel yesterday, though I doubt todays match will be as smooth as all that. Haas's no joke on grass, and will probably provide a real challenge for Federer today. Though I think Fed is hungrier for this title than he was last year...

szaromir

Banned
Roger is down a set, but up a break in the second. He definitely needs this title, he hasn't won one since Cincinnati so this would be a big confidence booster.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Roger is down a set, but up a break in the second. He definitely needs this title, he hasn't won one since Cincinnati so this would be a big confidence booster.

Final should be simple for him either way, though I'm sure he'd rather have Gasquet lose :p

szaromir

Banned
Final should be simple for him either way, though I'm sure he'd rather have Gasquet lose :p
Haha, getting a lapdog is always nice when you're struggling with confidence.
Tomorrow's line-up is Fed-Youzhny and Murray-Cilic, the second one could be a cracker.

Niraj

Haha, getting a lapdog is always nice when you're struggling with confidence.
Tomorrow's line-up is Fed-Youzhny and Murray-Cilic, the second one could be a cracker.

Yeah Cilic usually plays Murray tough (still remember last year's choke...)

Niraj

I was expecting to have woken up with it over already :/ Fed dump that first set or did Youzhny earn it?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I was expecting to have woken up with it over already :/ Fed dump that first set or did Youzhny earn it?

Youzhny served great for most of the match, except managed to go 0-40 down once every set. Came back in the first, but was broken is 2nd and 3rd. He also ballbashed pretty much everything fairly successfully in the first. Federer was kind of sleepwalking at the start, but served well enough.

Murray with a scary slip. Glad he wasn't injured before Wimbledon, but would have been hilarious if Cilic had won 2 Queens titles in a row without having to win the final.

Reyne

Isn't it 1 vs 8 in the quarters...

Nah, it is supposedly random. 1-4 faces random 5-8 in the quarters ( assuming they make it ). First seed has had sixth seed in Wimby twice in a row now in quarters though, and in 2010 it was seventh seed.
So Nadal vs Djokovic is possible, you would think. But then, you never know what happens behind the curtain, if you believe in rigging and such...

Reyne

He'll get Federer, just watch :(

Crazy how they haven't met on grass since that match five years ago. Somehow I sort of want to see a rematch on grass and yet not. Federer just seem like a shadow of his former self these days ( despite just winning Halle ).

mcfrank

With Nadal seeded #5 the draw is going to be a huge factor. I am really hoping it is a Nadal v Ferrer in the QF and then the SF is Fed v Murray and Djoker V Nadal.

MiKeD

Banned
Nah, it is supposedly random. 1-4 faces random 5-8 in the quarters ( assuming they make it ). First seed has had sixth seed in Wimby twice in a row now in quarters though, and in 2010 it was seventh seed.
So Nadal vs Djokovic is possible, you would think. But then, you never know what happens behind the curtain, if you believe in rigging and such...

Ah gotcha. I watched almost every single Grand Slam (some religiously) for the last decade now and I never realized it. Wow.

Jay Sosa

QF lineup: Djokovic vs. Berdych, Ferrer vs. Del Potro, Nadal vs. Federer and Tsonga vs. Murray

what a joke

yep one of the reason that I enjoy the womens side much, much more. I mean sure, we all know who's gonna win(if she fells like it) but besides that it's gonna be as nutty as always (I hope)

Serena-Kerber
Radwanska-Li
Sharapova-Errani
Azarenka-Kvitova

good luck with that, especially errani on grass lol

Reyne

Wow. Djokovic got a dream-draw. Federer, Nadal and Murray in one half. Djoker will be all smiles and say "Why so tired?" to whoever gets to the final.

Niraj

Soooooooo lame :( having to beat Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic is such bullshit. No way Fed can do it now :/ This is looking pretty good for Djokovic really.

Niraj

Was wondering if anybody here is going to the Cincinnati Masters next month. I'll be there for the QFs!

szaromir

Banned
I can't believe I'm following Hamburg this year. Usually I never watch post-Wimby clay events, but I'm very curious about Roger's form. Hopefully he can snatch 500 points here, he's going to need them bad!

Peru

SHOCKING outburst from everyone's favorite MICHAEL RUSSELL

AMERICAN tennis journeyman Michael Russell has reportedly branded Lleyton Hewitt "racist" and "a douche bag" in a stunning outburst on his Facebook page.

The post on a Facebook page, believed to be Russell's, came after Russell was bundled out in the semi-finals of the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships in Rhode Island.

Russell was beaten by Mahut, who then took on Hewitt in the final on the same day because of an earlier rain delay, beating the Aussie 5-7 7-5 6-3.

Despite finishing his match hours beforehand, the American took exception to a post-match interview in which Hewitt blamed fatigue and a tough draw for his loss.

"Lleyton Hewitt - what a douche bag and a racist by the way too," the Facebook post said.

"How about you choked and stopped making excuses."

"I would have loved to see Mahut/Hewitt on the side court 1 at Newport and see how many excuses Lleyton would have made then."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...n-lleyton-hewitt/story-fndkzym4-1226679610459

Peru

I'll be honest - I don't see the angle on hiring Connors. I'll believe Hogsted's claim about wanting to spend time with the family for now.

Oh and this just in: Martina Hingis taking a doubles wild card for SoCal open.

szaromir

Banned
And Roger changed his racket from 90 to 98. Seems like a big change, it should result in less shanks, but I wonder if his shots won't lose their penetration.

Reyne

Weird to see Federer play with a new racquet. Did pretty well with it too. Seem like he was able to hit with more angle and spin on the forehand than normally. Serve seemed better as well.

Top Bottom