• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Reyne

You managed to upset Federer or Nadal? Sucks to be you, cause you are now destined ( or shall we say cursed? ) to lose the very next match you play! Enjoy your time in the limelight, cause its only for the night. :|

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
In fairness, Delbonis is the youngest player currently on tour to have made the final of an ATP500. Guy is a rising talent, he's not a Stahkovsky.

szaromir

Banned
Though I wonder how far back the stat holds for both players (not counting lost finals)? I think for Nadal it's Indian Wells 2012 where he lost to Fed in SF and Fed won the title.

In fairness, Delbonis is the youngest player currently on tour to have made the final of an ATP500. Guy is a rising talent, he's not a Stahkovsky.
FWIW Janowicz is a month older and has reached a masters 1000 final (obviously it doesn't negate Delbonis' stat and he almost won the tournament, too).

bud23

2002:

664811-eugenie-bouchard-rencontre-pour-premiere.jpg

2013:

80892204-98c1-426e-8a72-951c445c5669_182924_487042264701880_1673870498_n.png

Federer announces to play brisbane in 2014. I'm pretty convinced 2014 is his goodbye tour, clearing all the tournaments he didn't attend for a long time or never.

szaromir

Banned
Gasquet BH is just ridiculous. It's difficult to describe, but it's as if the ball's trajectory is unlike after any other shot in the game.

Wow, losing the first set to Brands? Federer's downfall may be expidited. I'm sure Roddick is at home watching Federer play right now screaming at the TV "Why couldn't you have played like this when I was on Tour!?!"

Saty

The chances of him losing was always going to be higher in the first tournaments with the new racket. Still adjusting and i reckon that's the reason he played those events.

Viktor Troicki suspended 18 months today for failing to provide a blood sample in Monte Carlo. Pressure is getting stronger for tennis to do something about its tacit acceptance of PEDs, so Troicki is the first substantial ''casualty'' (instead of a player ranked in the 600s like a couple of months ago...). Hopefully Nadal gets his due next time instead of a silent ban.

Viktor Troicki suspended 18 months today for failing to provide a blood sample in Monte Carlo. Pressure is getting stronger for tennis to do something about its tacit acceptance of PEDs, so Troicki is the first substantial ''casualty'' (instead of a player ranked in the 600s like a couple of months ago...). Hopefully Nadal gets his due next time instead of a silent ban.

Meanwhile, former alleged coke head Martina Hingis is making a WTA comeback. She'll team up with Hantuchova next week in the Southern Cal Open in the doubles draw.

Reyne

How far back does that curse hold true (not counting finals)? USO2011?

In Rotterdam Benneteau beat Federer and then G Simon ( and then lost to Delpo in the final ). Of course, its not such a massive upset.

Everyone else this year has lost the next round when they won against Federer, except of course Nadal.

Dunno about the years before. Still, it happens more often recently because Federer isn't really losing because the opposition is too great :/ You dont need to be playing the tennis of your life to beat Federer anymore.

What I have been saying for a few years now (i.e. tennis has a doping problem) seems to be proving true now. After Troicki, now Cillic has been busted. As a long time fan of MLB also, my eyes are telling me that tennis is at the point baseball was in the early 2000s: superhuman performances galore achieved through shady means. Let the skyfall once for all and get those uber cheaters at the top (Djokovic, Nadal, etc.) out of the game instead of just the B-tier players!

If Nadal and Djoker do, so does the rest of the top 100.
I don't think it's as clear cut as that, but there is a LOT of cheating going on, that's for sure. No wonder the kids can't break out anymore in that sport: the old guard prevents them to with their cheating ways... until the youngsters, themselves, start to dope. That's a vicious cycle.

If there is to be a cultural change, the stars will have to be more convincing than they are right now in their anti-doping ''efforts''. Baseball is getting there and it's encouraging; tennis can do it too, but it'll take years.

Whoa, thats pretty awesome.

Would be crazy if she wins her next two matches to qualify for Washington next week. I'll keep yall updated.

edit: I also watched the Kevin Anderson v. Ryan Harrison match today. Harrison switched back to his old racquet but still has those loopy topspin shots on his forehand which got him in trouble. He lost the match in straights, and will now need the USTA to burn one of their WC's to get him in the US Open. lol.

Hampton v. A.Radwanska is currently on ESPN2 for those who care. I like Radwanskas shiny blonde hair in HD

szaromir

Banned
The Fog has a shot at winning his third title in three weeks today. Hopefully he can do it. Such a nice game and it seems he's finally toughened out at crucial points, although that was still a massive choke from 5*-0 to to 5*-6 in the third set lol. Fingers crossed he carries this sort of form into clay court season next year, he could do some massive damage.

Radwanska very solid today, should grab another title tomorrow.

disgonbegud.gif

This is apparently why he missed Wimbledon (he was busted between the French Open and Halle). He is not tennis royalty enough for a silent ban apparently, lol.

Seems widespread, at least to my eyes. At the top, Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Ferrer seem obvious candidates. There have been rumours about Soderling and Fish as well. If indeed true, I hope all of these cheaters fall. And if Federer has been using as well (my favourite player) he has to fall as well. A clean-up is in order.

LuuKyK

Seems widespread, at least to my eyes. At the top, Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Ferrer seem obvious candidates. There have been rumours about Soderling and Fish as well. If indeed true, I hope all of these cheaters fall. And if Federer has been using as well (my favourite player) he has to fall as well. A clean-up is in order.

I agree, though I think the sport would have a massive hit in audience were for all the top players to fall like that.

I agree, though I think the sport would have a massive hit in audience were for all the top players to fall like that.
It would for a while. However, a new crop of youngsters would rise from the ashes of those stars and that would genuinely be exciting. It's no wonder the kids can't break out anymore: the elders are holding the game hostage in a way.

Again, look at baseball: 10 years ago, there were dozens of older players (34+) starring on teams and playing better than ever. Now that their "fountain of youth" has been taken down, if you will, older players with a preminent role are few and far between. However, a new bunch of highly talented players have taken their place. There is always hope but tennis has got to get going and clean up its act first.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Gasquet BH is just ridiculous. It's difficult to describe, but it's as if the ball's trajectory is unlike after any other shot in the game.
I saw it live once when he was in a doubles match, I was at ground level when I saw it and pretty up close, I was amazed by it, he takes it so effectively no matter the ball it seems

why are you excluding Federer from the obvious candidates list?

::

lol Youzhni thanked Federer for losing in the first round.

And this is why:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=Y061&oId=F324

Top Bottom