• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
Weird to see Federer play with a new racquet. Did pretty well with it too. Seem like he was able to hit with more angle and spin on the forehand than normally. Serve seemed better as well.
Some forehands were ridiculous. Still many shanks from the backhand side, especially in the first set.

szaromir

Banned
Hilarious but good match between Verdasco and Delbonis. Delpbonis was serving for the first set, choked, had multiple set points in the next few games but ultimately lost in the tiebreak. In the second set Verdasco had a gazillion break points, but squandered all of them and Delbonis took it to the tiebreak. Verdasco went to a 5*-2 lead before Delbonis' incredible comeback. Sadly I had to stop watching after the second set, but Delbonis closed out the match 64. The kind of play similar too, lefthanders with tremendous forehands and average backhands. It was the first time I saw Delbonis in action, powerful but his service motion and backhand are quite ugly. Still, good mentality I must say.

szaromir

Banned
It looks like The Fog came down to Earth a little bit in the second set. I hope he continues to improve, he could be challenging for big clay titles next year.

Reyne

Man, if Roger loses this tournament...lol

Then people will call for a even bigger racquet...
Interesting match against Mayer right now. Mayer hitting some crafty shots so far. Though Federer did start out slowly in his past two matches so even if he drops a set I expect him to bounce back..

clemenx

Banned
He probably takes pride in never missing games or whatever, but Roger needs take a month off or something, he's serving without rotating, that back must be giving him a lot of pain.

Bigfoot

He probably takes pride in never missing games or whatever, but Roger needs take a month off or something, he's serving without rotating, that back must be giving him a lot of pain.

Federer has withdrawal from tournaments in the past because of his back... the only thing he has never done is retire mid-match.

The back does seem to affect his serve the most.

RedAssedApe

Banned
whoa...fed finally changed his raquet. i know people were suggesting it for some time now...especially with what sampras said years ago about how switching from his old frame to a bigger head felt like cheating lol

szaromir

Banned
The Fog becomes such a clown once has a chance to break.
tumblr_inline_mq8enqlsFM1qz4rgp.jpg

The one BP he did convert was off Almagro's unforced error when trying to serve & volley.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Olderer being old again.

EDIT: Man, Federer's RoS is so bad these days. I mean, it was never the best on tour, but I mean damn. That was just tragic. Beaten by the world 114 who has barely even played outside challengers before.

EDIT2: I think half of the problem isn't just Federer's play, it's the fact that,as Stahkovksy said, people are playing him and his ego but these days his ego just doesn't cut it. Delbonis was so solid, never choked, consistently going for fearless shots. In the old days, guys often used to look like they'd given up already when they started a match with Federer, and if your opponent isn't confident you can easily run away with things even if you are having a bad day. Now, bad days end up with Federer losing.

MIMIC

Banned
I keep forgetting this thread was moved here. lol

Anyway....wow. I am legitimately shocked. Delbonis is literally a challenger. Didn't see the match so I can't comment on it.

Remyzero

Olderer being old again.

EDIT: Man, Federer's RoS is so bad these days. I mean, it was never the best on tour, but I mean damn. That was just tragic. Beaten by the world 114 who has barely even played outside challengers before.

EDIT2: I think half of the problem isn't just Federer's play, it's the fact that,as Stahkovksy said, people are playing him and his ego but these days his ego just doesn't cut it. Delbonis was so solid, never choked, consistently going for fearless shots. In the old days, guys often used to look like they'd given up already when they started a match with Federer, and if your opponent isn't confident you can easily run away with things even if you are having a bad day. Now, bad days end up with Federer losing.

Yeah...I am still pretty shocked at the results

szaromir

Banned
Sad times
Yeah, Stakhovsky and Melzer were mocking Fed's return of serve and for a good reason - it seems like literally rolling the serve to his backhand means the ball will not come back. :( I hope he'll find the spark that will reignite him soon.

Cuddler

And Fognini won! Crazy match, I thought it was finished after that warning and Fognini completely losing his concentration. But Fognini is unpredictable. lol

Top Bottom