• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

modulaire

The fuck at Li losing to Cirstea. Pretty random, I wonder if Sorana played well or Li played like shit. Or both? lol

Li played like shit for most of the time, but Sorana fully deserves the win. She's like a totally new person since she started working with with Darren Cahill.

This guy is awesome, his coaching is simply brilliant and they seem to click.

Bigfoot

Novak put it in a higher gear. Nadal could be in trouble.

Either way, a 3rd set is good for Milos (as if he has any chance of winning tomorrow).

szaromir

Banned
The writing seems on the wall for Nadal ever since he got broken at 5*-2 in the first, but they're both capable of choking against each other in winning positions, so who knows :p

szaromir

Banned
Gotta say Djokovic's game has become a lot more aggressive over the course of this year. In ATP finals last year he was doing some extreme pushing, especially in the final match. AO2012 final and Miami 2012 final both had so many never-ending rallies.

szaromir

Banned
lol djoker sprayed many errors in that tiebreak. The umpire announcing with delay the score at 5-0 and the crowd laughing must have been one of the most embarassing moments in Djoker's career.

MIMIC

Banned
MIMIC, post if you're okay.

*posting from jail*

EDIT:

I don't know what the freak is going on with Novak, but I am not too hopeful for the U.S. Open. I didn't see much of the beginning of the opening set (because ESPN was too busy showing Serena), but I hear that he double faulted a bunch of times to hand Nadal the break).

How in the hell can Novak be scared of Nadal on a hard court? I'm almost convinced enough to say that he's more comfortable against Nadal on clay (even though Nadal is more superior). He was so much more relaxed in Monte Carlo (and just went balls out at RG) but here....he kinda just was submissive and let Nadal drag him around the court. It was inexplicable.

I turned the TV off when Nadal went 3-0 in the tiebreak. Djokovic was just guiding the ball in, waiting for Nadal to make an error. As SOON as Nadal got the ball he wanted, he went for his shots. I couldn't watch it anymore (even though I was studying for a test at the same time, lol).

EDIT #2: I posted on MTF that I wouldn't root for Novak in the next couple of tournaments if he managed to fuck up and lose to Nadal. So....he's on probation. He is undeserving of my fanaticism for the time being :)

(edits)

Globox_82

Banned
Gotta say Djokovic's game has become a lot more aggressive over the course of this year. In ATP finals last year he was doing some extreme pushing, especially in the final match. AO2012 final and Miami 2012 final both had so many never-ending rallies.

Yes he has become more aggressive, but he is much smaller then in 2011. He lacks "power" that helped him play against Rafa. Rafa overpowered him last night....on a fact HC!

I am in awe when it comes to Rafa. People say that he doesn't have the same raw talent as Roger and Novak, but is there really any other play that has improved as much as him? Last night ...I have never seen him return better and serve better. Maybe USO 2010 he served better, or harder at least. But placement that he now has?! WOW. He is my pick for USO. He seems strong as fuk. Maybe Andy can keep up with him on that field. He gained some muscle in last year. But Novak? time to dump Vemic, Vaida and that other B staff circus with him.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Last 6 meetings are now 5-1 for Nadal. If he had managed to keep his Monte Carlo crown this would start to get embarrassing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
*posting from jail*

EDIT:

I don't know what the freak is going on with Novak, but I am not too hopeful for the U.S. Open. I didn't see much of the beginning of the opening set (because ESPN was too busy showing Serena), but I hear that he double faulted a bunch of times to hand Nadal the break).

How in the hell can Novak be scared of Nadal on a hard court? I'm almost convinced enough to say that he's more comfortable against Nadal on clay (even though Nadal is more superior). He was so much more relaxed in Monte Carlo (and just went balls out at RG) but here....he kinda just was submissive and let Nadal drag him around the court. It was inexplicable.

I turned the TV off when Nadal went 3-0 in the tiebreak. Djokovic was just guiding the ball in, waiting for Nadal to make an error. As SOON as Nadal got the ball he wanted, he went for his shots. I couldn't watch it anymore (even though I was studying for a test at the same time, lol).

EDIT #2: I posted on MTF that I wouldn't root for Novak in the next couple of tournaments if he managed to fuck up and lose to Nadal. So....he's on probation. He is undeserving of my fanaticism for the time being :)

(edits)

Do you need a hug? (>'.')>

szaromir

Banned
Serena won the first set 62. She must be spending more time on her eye makeup than on her actual pre-match routines. I hate that Azarenka keeps screwing up draws with her constant withdrawals - Williams-Radwanska should have been the final.

I'm sorry that my message isn't cohesive at all.

Globox_82

Banned
*posting from jail*

EDIT:

(edits)
Rafa was practicing in Spain while Novak was on vacation, while rafa was practicing in Montreal, novak was still on vacation.
Novaks "vacations" are longer and longer. Compared that to 2011 when Vaida had to chase him of the coart and you have your answer.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
sort of sad to hear the commentators trying to hype up this match when it doesn't seem to be anything but a routine win for nadal.

edit: not even routine, more of a clubbering. 5 games in a row now. raonic really has nothing but his serve. if it goes to a rally, the point is already nadal's.

LuuKyK

Fuck off Raonic. What a bland player. Zero personality. Gulbis would give a much bigger challenge to Nadal. Heck even Pospsil would. This is as routine as it gets.

Globox_82

Banned
Fuck off Raonic. What a bland player. Zero personality. Gulbis would give a much bigger challenge to Nadal. Heck even Pospsil would. This is as routine as it gets.

I have to agree. Shame for Gulbis, and Delpo

EDIT: I didn't even watch the match. Final was yesterday. I knew this will end how it ended.

I wasn't really paying attention to the time and completely forgot about this match, despite catching bits of the women's final :lol

At least I didn't miss much.

MIMIC

Banned
*doesn't look at score*

I bet Milos didn't win more than 4 games

*looks at score*

BWAHAHAHA. I knew it :) At least I didn't miss anything by not watching.

He really is a horrible player. Of all of the serve bots, I think he's infinitely the worst. I think Isner is more reliable than he is.

keit4

Banned
"B-But Nadal is a clay court only player!"

Rafa Nadal, unbeaten on hard courts this year. Can't wait to see him winning at the US Open.

MIMIC

Banned
If he plays that aggressively, he could most certainly win the U.S. Open. But I doubt that he will play like that the rest of the summer.

Reyne

Says none ever since 2010. Or if they do they are clueless. Still the surface his game is most suited to, though.

Rafa Nadal, unbeaten on hard courts this year. Can't wait to see him winning at the US Open.

Skipped almost the entire hard court season though and has only played two hard courts tourney so far, generally regarded as mid to slow compared to Cincinnati or US Open. Not like he hadn't had success on those before. Imo, The US Open is still the slam were Nadal is more like to be vulnerable ( maybe not as vulnerable Wimbledon early on before the slick grass wears off ) and if he faces Djokovic again, then I think that match up is a coin toss. Its not like it was easy for Nadal to win that last match with him.

Will be interesting to see how well he does at Cincinnati though, and if Federer's back is on the mend and he finds a rhythm to play like he did last year ( handing a bagel to Djokovic ) then things could get interesting. Doubt that will happen though.

zero_suit

Rafa is underrated on HC. If he's as aggressive as he was against Djokovic in the Montreal SF, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win it all.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Will be interesting to see how well he does at Cincinnati though, and if Federer's back is on the mend and he finds a rhythm to play like he did last year ( handing a bagel to Djokovic ) then things could get interesting. Doubt that will happen though.

I'm just hoping Fed gets to the QFs so I can see him lol

If he plays that aggressively, he could most certainly win the U.S. Open. But I doubt that he will play like that the rest of the summer.
He is peaking too early on his cycle. Its what has happened at Wimbledon the past two years, he gets off it after RG and long clay season and tries to restart a mini one before Wimbledon but it hasnt worked.

Top Bottom