• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
So the night matches are Fed/Nadal followed by Wozniaki/Azarenka.

I hate how organizers think it's a good idea to occasionally make the womens matchup the headliner. When will they learn?
What do you mean?
Shame Radwanska withdrew. The rematch of the Li-Radwanska match at the Wimbledon quarters should be the women's match of the day.

edit: Isner is looking sharp. He might have a chance in a best of 3.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It was the same way last year too. Most people left after Fed's match. Tbh, Azarenka v Woz will prob be the best women's match.

What do you mean?
Shame Radwanska withdrew. The rematch of the Li-Radwanska match at the Wimbledon quarters should be the women's match of the day.

edit: Isner is looking sharp. He might have a chance in a best of 3.

Watch the US Open night sessions on nights they have the men go first. At least half the crowd leaves after the mens match. The men hit harder. They are bigger and stronger. After seeing a battle like that, its hard to watch a downgrade. The Tennis organizers can deny that all they want but they can't force the crowd to stay to watch the womens match, and because of that, half the crowd will leave before the womens match. If the women started the night session, they would have a much larger crowd.

szaromir

Banned
Watch the US Open night sessions on nights they have the men go first. At least half the crowd leaves after the mens match. The men hit harder. They are bigger and stronger. After seeing a battle like that, its hard to watch a downgrade. The Tennis organizers can deny that all they want but they can't force the crowd to stay to watch the womens match, and because of that, half the crowd will leave before the womens match. If the women started the night session, they would have a much larger crowd.
True, but why would the organizers particularly care? They sell one ticket for the night session, not for individual matches. Forcing people to sit through women's matches isn't a solution in my opinion.

Isner's up a set :D

szaromir

Banned
I bet the viewers at home do the same thing tho
Well if women want more money they need to raise their game, so to speak. The level of women's game has suffered from slowing down the courts (which was done to make points in men's game longer), but in general it's true that men hit with more power and with much higher consistency and variety.

Well if women want more money they need to raise their game, so to speak. The level of women's game has suffered from slowing down the courts (which was done to make points in men's game longer), but in general it's true that men hit with more power and with much higher consistency and variety.

They get equal prize money already at least in the slams. Some WTA and ATP events are separate though so at those tournaments its more based on ticket sales.

Niraj

So far I've gotten to see most of every match but the Vinci-Jankovic one, which I figured would be a snoozefest. Currently waiting for Roger at a practice court :D

szaromir

Banned
Isner has added some subtlety to his game. Sadly he comes up with poor shots whenever he goes deep into Djoker's service games.

LuuKyK

Novak... the fuck are you doing...

Oh well, Isner played well, so kudos to him. Rooting for the winner of this semi to win now, or Berdych, but I doubt he is going to beat Murray. >_>

Niraj

Heard the roar, shared a hearty laugh with strangers :D

Guess it's next year for Novak, Mimic (again )

Saty

At least in Slam's, the men's match at the night session is first because it could go to 5 sets and be very long, and then they need to play another match tomorrow. If you wait for the woman's match to end and then have a 5-set match, the players are screwed.

MIMIC

Banned
lol, I had a slight inkling that Novak would lose
Since he's been playing like crap

I didn't get a chance to see the match (had to get my car serviced and didn't get any sleep).

It's only a matter of time before Djoker surrenders the No. 1 rank to either Nadal or Murray. It's such a meek surrender, too His form has been MIA since Monte Carlo (which is where he recorded his last impressive win).

His form has been like Federer in the last few days: will pummel an absolutely nobody into the ground (like Gasquet and Goffin recently) and gets routined by the first person with the tinniest bit of belief.

At least in Slam's, the men's match at the night session is first because it could go to 5 sets and be very long, and then they need to play another match tomorrow. If you wait for the woman's match to end and then have a 5-set match, the players are screwed.

eh, they get started at 7pm. Even a 4 hour epic would get the ladies on before midnight which isn't uncommon. Besides, some of the most exciting matches ever have gone into the wee hours of the morning. The 2012 AO final comes to mind.

edit: pretty good start from Serena. She's hungry for bagels

Reyne

Well no bakery products for the first set, thats reassuring... :)

Nah, actually I like what I am seeing from Fed so far. Hope he can keep serving well and take a break or two, maybe a tie break?

Reyne

bIDZss4.jpg

szaromir

Banned
What a set! I can't help but imagine what would Roger's career be like if they didn't start slowing down the courts from 2008 onwards. :/

szaromir

Banned
Other than Fed spreading errors like crazy yesterday, Haas also was taking Roger's serve much earlier than Rafa is today. Makes all the difference in the world.

Top Bottom