• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

omlet

Any bets on how quickly the servers will implode when the F2P flood gates open in February? I hope they have a plan for that...

Cities and global chat already seemed pretty crowded last night with returning Founders. I was out questing on my lancer for most of the time I was on, though. I hope they have a plan or, yeah, current servers probably won't be able to handle the zerg.

Alur

Cities and global chat already seemed pretty crowded last night with returning Founders. I was out questing on my lancer for most of the time I was on, though. I hope they have a plan or, yeah, current servers probably won't be able to handle the zerg.

I hope so as well. It's a delicate balance between too many new servers and too many overcrowded and unplayable ones once the first week or two rush dies down.

FLEABttn

Banned
So, how are the tanks/healers in this game? Normally I roll DPS in all MMO's I play because of the PITA nature that is tanking/healing, but given this different combat system, I'm curious if it's less like punching myself in the junk and more like actual fun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So, how are the tanks/healers in this game? Normally I roll DPS in all MMO's I play because of the PITA nature that is tanking/healing, but given this different combat system, I'm curious if it's less like punching myself in the junk and more like actual fun.

Tanking is awesome and is significantly more active than any other MMO I've ever played.

Dizzy-4U

So guys, I have a question. Back when the game launched, I remember being a lot of gankers outside newbie town and they kept switching the instance so they never get caught. Is that still an issue?

Dunlop

So guys, I have a question. Back when the game launched, I remember being a lot of gankers outside newbie town and they kept switching the instance so they never get caught. Is that still an issue?

If you read the offical forum there are a whole lot of butt-hurt members that plan on doing just this to the F2P'ers...real forward thinking lot

I went with the Gaf PVE server to avoid that sillyness

Dizzy-4U

If you read the offical forum there are a whole lot of butt-hurt members that plan on doing just this to the F2P'ers...real forward thinking lot

I'll visit the forum this afternoon. It should be fun.

But yeah, going PVE for now. I'll start from scratch since I don't remember how to even move.

Nopren

All my characters are on the PVP server, and I've always just switched to another instance when Lumbertown Bridge would be crowded with gankers. Never been a problem for me.

Alur

Yeah, there was a lot of the similar kind of attitude in SWTOR when F2P came out. F2P players are somewhat a scourge, but they are also the thing that keeps the game going and will eventually feed into the folks those maxed players play with. Especially in TERA where content isn't going to be restricted, so folks who leveled up and left because things stagnated can come back mostly full force.

I'll never understand the need for players to drive folks away from a game you love.

All my characters are on the PVP server, and I've always just switched to another instance when Lumbertown Bridge would be crowded with gankers. Never been a problem for me.
There are way fewer channels now than then. It should be interesting to see what happens if they don't open new servers just for the new F2P players and also don't increase the number of channels.

notworksafe

Downloaded this to give it a shot since it's going F2P...

How relevant are the difficulty rankings for classes? Lancer looks like the coolest class but it has a high difficulty rating. Should I pick an easier class to learn the ropes of the game and then switch to Lancer? I'll probably be using a controller (but I can switch to kb/m if controller is useless).

omlet

Downloaded this to give it a shot since it's going F2P...

How relevant are the difficulty rankings for classes? Lancer looks like the coolest class but it has a high difficulty rating. Should I pick an easier class to learn the ropes of the game and then switch to Lancer? I'll probably be using a controller (but I can switch to kb/m if controller is useless).

Oh man, if you want to see a good time you should ask this in global chat in game :D

But to be serious, they are not really that meaningful, in a sense? They are more like estimations of the amount of attention you need to pay to play the job well in a group setting, I guess? Or an indication of how flexible the class is. I would just say ignore them, honestly. Like, leveling as lancer is super easy because you're so tough, so in that sense it's like 1 star difficulty. However, in a dungeon, tanking as a lancer can be pretty challenging--way more than, say, playing a sorc.

Different classes need to rev up different skills in group settings that they don't use as much or at all in solo play. For example, a good lancer is not just going to hold block and hit shouts (taunts); you need to be doing your own damage skill rotations and maintaining debuffs on the boss while reducing incoming damage to manageable levels without losing hate (learning to read enemy attacks and knowing how to time blocks) and maintaining awareness of your surroundings (WALL DRILLS CRAB BATTLE) and your party members positioning. This may sound like standard MMO tanking requirements, but the active combat system makes late game encounters (especially hard modes) challenging to multitask in. Meanwhile, your slayer and sorcerers are mainly just going to be focused on doing a skill rotation for as much DPS as they can with much less attention needed to be paid to certain factors.

tl;dr don't let the star ratings deter you, but be aware of what the class's role actually is (as in, don't pick a lancer and expect to be a damage dealer).

notworksafe

Thanks for the advice! I've tanked in pretty much every MMO I've played so I'm used to it. I'll probably make an Archer for some practice at DD too.

So controller is pretty good as an input method?

Also where is everyone else playing? PvE server?

EDIT: One more question...if I end up buying the game am I able to upgrade my trial account and still get 30 days free?

omlet

I've heard mostly nothing but good regarding controller play. However, mouse-controlled camera precision/speed is just something I can't live without. I also don't like putting down my controller to type, so I just stick with kb/m.

Izayoi

Banned
Lancer is a tank. You've got lots of survivability, but a relatively small amount of DPS.

Berserker or Warrior are probably going to be the easiest solo classes. In groups, the Sorcerer is the easiest DPS. Everyone relies on the tank in instances, so keep that in mind if you're rolling a Lancer - the role is not without its stress.

Ricker

Lancer is a tank. You've got lots of survivability, but a relatively small amount of DPS.

Berserker or Warrior are probably going to be the easiest solo classes. In groups, the Sorcerer is the easiest DPS. Everyone relies on the tank in instances, so keep that in mind if you're rolling a Lancer - the role is not without its stress.

So true...I dont have a Lancer but I have been in some dungeons with my Sorcerer and with a good Lancer,nothing touches me,I can just sit back there and fire my spells,they really have to work hard it seems lol...

mileS

I'm on the pvp server I just cant play the end game dungeons :( the stupid ass flash based UI destroys my processor :(

they didn't fix the performance in dungeons yet? I remember getting great frame rates for just about every part of the game until the end game dungeons. The fps would tank down to 20 or below for no good reason.

Izayoi

Banned
they didn't fix the performance in dungeons yet? I remember getting great frame rates for just about every part of the game until the end game dungeons. The fps would tank down to 20 or below for no good reason.
Dungeons are very CPU heavy as the mob density is typically much higher than the overworld. An easy quick fix is to turn down the mob rendering distance. You should be able to improve framerates dramatically, especially in dungeons and crowded towns.

mileS

Well I found some of the biggest drops to be during boss fights. After everything has been cleared. its just a small party and the boss in a room... yet the fps drop to 20 or lower.

Compared to doing BAM groups out in the world, full party, mobs everywhere around us. 50+ fps. I really don't understand it.

Izayoi

Banned
Well I found some of the biggest drops to be during boss fights. After everything has been cleared. its just a small party and the boss in a room... yet the fps drop to 20 or lower.

Compared to doing BAM groups out in the world, full party, mobs everywhere around us. 50+ fps. I really don't understand it.
That's... unusual. I can't really say, as I've never had performance issues with the game, so I'm just going off of things I've heard work. Sorry man, wish I could help. :(

Windam

Scaley member
I've wanted to play this game for a long time, but I've been put off by the fact that my account would most likely lie dormant after my trial would expire, but now I don't have to worry about that. (Tried getting into beta but I didn't. D:) :D I'll be picking this up maybe tomorrow (for the Founder's status). Is there a specific GAF server, or is everyone spread out? I'd love to play with you guys. :)

Izayoi

Banned
I've wanted to play this game for a long time, but I've been put off by the fact that my account would most likely lie dormant after my trial would expire, but now I don't have to worry about that. (Tried getting into beta but I didn't. D:) :D I'll be picking this up maybe tomorrow (for the Founder's status). Is there a specific GAF server, or is everyone spread out? I'd love to play with you guys. :)
Tempest Reach in the US.

I've found that the Slayer is by far the easiest class to solo. It's also the fastest class to solo, once you've figured out Overhead Strike is the Win Button.

Izayoi

Banned
I've found that the Slayer is by far the easiest class to solo. It's also the fastest class to solo, once you've figured out Overhead Strike is the Win Button.
Not with the recent Warrior and Berserker buffs. It's still pretty easy, but the Zerk absolutely crushes everything with the most recent buffs. Warrior has stupid survivability now on top of very respectable damage output. Both are far more durable than the Slayer, and the Berserker out-damages it by a shitload.

NeOak

We active on any mumble?

Also, my brother is coming back, too. Woo.

Now to hit 60 on my Lancer!
I pay one for the guild, its:

believe.mumble.com:5756

Guild website/forum/calendar is believe-tera.com

If there is going to be a PvP GAF guild, we can use the mumble and website for both.

Dunlop

Tons of issues with logins today

First world problem but is there a way to get it to remember your e-mail? Having to type it each time when you login only to get booted out is annoying

Izayoi

Banned
Forgot to ask something when I dropped by Mumble.

Can you clear Queen HM with Abyss/Queen's Wrath gear? Or do you need Reagent gear to do it? How tight is the DPS race?

NeOak

Forgot to ask something when I dropped by Mumble.

Can you clear Queen HM with Abyss/Queen's Wrath gear? Or do you need Reagent gear to do it? How tight is the DPS race?
Yes you can, Regent gear only has 8% better base stats compared to Abyss/Wrath.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

That wasnt even my issue, with the UI active I would get sub 15 frames, and with it disabled over 60fps. Shit made no sense.

Not with the recent Warrior and Berserker buffs. It's still pretty easy, but the Zerk absolutely crushes everything with the most recent buffs. Warrior has stupid survivability now on top of very respectable damage output. Both are far more durable than the Slayer, and the Berserker out-damages it by a shitload.

I was gone for months. Did they really finally buff Bahsahkah? Like for really real?

Is there going to be a guild in the PvP server? Just started playing and I would love to play with a bit more like minded people. Also, a GAF PvP group would be pretty SICK y'all.

Just started (or rather finished patching after a day and a half) Tera.

If I wanted to join the neogaf guild, is there a preferred class I should play? I'm kind of the type who would try out every class and have lots of alts, so I'm not really opposed to any class really. They're all pretty interesting in their own way.

NeOak

Just started (or rather finished patching after a day and a half) Tera.

If I wanted to join the neogaf guild, is there a preferred class I should play? I'm kind of the type who would try out every class and have lots of alts, so I'm not really opposed to any class really. They're all pretty interesting in their own way.

Whichever you like the most, but tanks are the ones with very high demand.

Level 7ish Human Archer.
I'm still fumbling around the first city.

On the PvE server. How do I join the Neogaf guild?

How to Apply

e989c081.jpg

e5c1f5ee.jpg

Wallach

Really? Which patch notes would I have to look through for the big Berserker changes? I loved the Berserker (the only other class I played aside from Priest) but it was all about Slayer when I left.

Top Bottom