• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

mileS

Does changing it to 10MB on that page save it globally? I remember this one setting always resetting itself depending on the webpages I visit. Anyways I had no idea about this. Thank you.

Dizzy-4U

I tried playing with a 360 controller and it's pretty good (except for navigating the HUD). I have serious problems with aiming though and for my mystic is pretty vital to have that one down. I think I'm gonna keep playing with KB/M and get one of those Naga thingies since I'm playing STO also.

Windam

Scaley member
Just ordered the digital edition from En-Masse's site. When can I expect the invoice/receipt? Also, would it be possible to cancel the subscription before it gets charged to the CC? My sister owed me some money, so she let me use her card to order it on the condition that it's "$19.99 only". Really loving this game so far; the combat is excellent, though it's strange having to stand still for basic attacks coming out of GW2 and while playing WoW at the same time.

I ordered that same version yesterday afternoon. After a few hours of not getting anything, I did some investigating and found this in their support section:

If you purchased TERA from the En Masse Store through PayPal and you are out of the United States the payment may take a couple days to process.

That would have been nice to know before I paid. That's Digital River for you though.

Windam

Scaley member
I ordered that same version yesterday afternoon. After a few hours of not getting anything, I did some investigating and found this in their support section:

That would have been nice to know before I paid. That's Digital River for you though.

Huh. Well, I'm in Canada, but I didn't use PayPal (direct CC payment). Hopefully I get something in a few hours. Thanks for the head's up. :)

omlet

Just ordered the digital edition from En-Masse's site. When can I expect the invoice/receipt? Also, would it be possible to cancel the subscription before it gets charged to the CC? My sister owed me some money, so she let me use her card to order it on the condition that it's "$19.99 only". Really loving this game so far; the combat is excellent, though it's strange having to stand still for basic attacks coming out of GW2 and while playing WoW at the same time.

If anything, I find it far more strange to be able to do attacks with ungrounded, abbreviated, or flat-out aborted animations while sliding across the ground or jumpflipping. Really kills the immersion. TERA's limited animation lock strikes a pretty perfect balance between something like WoW's jumpflipspam woobely (I just made that word up) combat where character animations are kind of meaningless and something like XIV's overly rigid attack animation locks look cool but commit you to such a long un-cancelable animation that they're just frustrating.

Anyway, as for your question about billing, go into your account management on the website and make sure your billing status is "Canceled" or whatever. The way the page displays things is a bit deceptive; makes it look like your subscription is going to auto-renew but it won't if it's in canceled mode.

I'm on the pvp server, but joined the Reddit guild after reading the pvp guild here is no more.

> Reddit Guild

I guess you and I are fated to be mortal enemies, then.

And yes, the animation lock is there to keep you honest. This isn't some shitty tab-target auto-attack run circles around mobs while spamming 12345 MMO. It's more like God of War than EverQuest. You have to time your attacks when the boss isn't about to attack or it will hurt.

Sora_N

Question, what happens if I play the trial and then I buy a retail copy? Can I activate a code onto my account or no? I can buy a physical copy for the same price as digital, prefer to have the case lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did they make the grind any less painful? My brother is a bit skeptical given how long it took him to get his zerker to 32 back when the game first came out. I'm 48 and a bit worried myself about the final 12 levels, ha.

Windam

Scaley member
Question, what happens if I play the trial and then I buy a retail copy? Can I activate a code onto my account or no? I can buy a physical copy for the same price as digital, prefer to have the case lol.

You can activate the code on your account and you'll automatically be upgraded to a standard account from a Discovery account. When the F2P launches, you'll also be upgraded to Founder status.

NeOak

Yes, you can.

Did they make the grind any less painful? My brother is a bit skeptical given how long it took him to get his zerker to 32 back when the game first came out. I'm 48 and a bit worried myself about the final 12 levels, ha.

That was more because zerker S U C K E D

Sora_N

You can activate the code on your account and you'll automatically be upgraded to a standard account from a Discovery account. When the F2P launches, you'll also be upgraded to Founder status.

Yes, you can.

That was more because zerker S U C K E D

Great, thanks. I'm gonna try out the game tonight, then order. :)

EDIT: I just read about the digital download version on their site, are those freebies worth it? If they are then I think I'd rather just have the items instead of waiting for the game to ship.

Uh oh... I shall watch for your red name. :)

I just came back from a long layoff so I'll be too busy grinding for cash and gear to actually go out and grief lowbies. But from what I gather Territ are KoS and some guys are already roaming the nub zones killing every Territ they see.

Kammie

I've spent six hours on this and I'm already bored out of my mind. The quests have been nothing but "Kill 10 of these" or "Talk to so and so" over and over again. Everyone is concerned about the big leader being missing but they just sit around while they order footsoldiers to collect items for them. When does this suffering end?

Arksy

I've spent six hours on this and I'm already bored out of my mind. The quests have been nothing but "Kill 10 of these" or "Talk to so and so" over and over again. Everyone is concerned about the big leader being missing but they just sit around while they order footsoldiers to collect items for them. When does this suffering end?

Yeah most quests are fairly standard fare but the BAMs are quite good fun. (Elite mobs)

PewPewK

Sorcerer has been extremely fun so far, but that's the only class I've played for an extended period of time so take my opinion for what it's worth. I love the kite tactics you have at your disposal (I've gone from level 1 to nearly 20 soloing all of the quests and bosses so far), and it seems like really good burst damage. It's AoE spells are great for taking out groups of enemy minions as well it seems.

Sorcerer really takes off once you get into the higher levels, too. I can't quite remember what level you get it (I haven't played in a long time, but I'm 54 and I got it not too terribly long ago), but the ability itself will change how you view the Sorc. The spell itself is kind of boring, but its consequences are what change the class. It speeds up all actions by some ridiculous percentage, and that includes all spell animations, etc. So it looks like you activate hyper-mode and can cast everything about 2-3 times as fast as you could before.

Unfortunately, pretty much all of the quests boil down to this and it gets no better as you go on.

Not sure if it has gotten less painful. I asked NeOak and he said there's a grind from 56-58, but hopefully it isn't too painful. I'm sitting at 54 and not looking forward very much to those last 6 levels to 60.

NeOak

Not sure if it has gotten less painful. I asked NeOak and he said there's a grind from 56-58, but hopefully it isn't too painful. I'm sitting at 54 and not looking forward very much to those last 6 levels to 60.

Well, its not exactly painful, but if you expect those last 10 levels to be like 1-11...

out.

Jomjom

Banned
Back in the day I bought 3 copies of vanilla Tera and 1 copy of CE Tera. I used the codes from 1 vanilla and the CE. I still have 2 vanilla copies sealed. Should I go ahead and registered another 30 free day code now or should I keep them for once f2p goes live?

I'm thinking there will be some kind of bonus later where you get a monthly stipend for subbing? In most other games a 30 day free code is the same as subbing for 1 month.

Kammie

Yeah, I have to admit, this game is lame. Now they have me picking flowers. There are really a thousand better ways to spend one's time.

Edit: Uninstalled.

NeOak

Back in the day I bought 3 copies of vanilla Tera and 1 copy of CE Tera. I used the codes from 1 vanilla and the CE. I still have 2 vanilla copies sealed. Should I go ahead and registered another 30 free day code now or should I keep them for once f2p goes live?

I'm thinking there will be some kind of bonus later where you get a monthly stipend for subbing? In most other games a 30 day free code is the same as subbing for 1 month.

No, keep them to give accounts "founder" status.

Yeah, I have to admit, this game is lame. Now they have me picking flowers. There are really a thousand better ways to spend one's time.

Edit: Uninstalled.

Bye.

Kammie

I...what?
They had me on a mission to pick flowers.

I dunno, I wanted something where I could just jump into a group and kill stuff. Instead I spent my first six hours on an area that was littered with individual fetch quests, and when I finally cleared the area, it was more of the same. The game didn't really sell me on its mechanics.

That doesn't mean someone else can't enjoy it, but I'd just rather be playing something else.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They had me on a mission to pick flowers.

I dunno, I wanted something where I could just jump into a group and kill stuff. Instead I spent my first six hours on an area that was littered with individual fetch quests, and when I finally cleared the area, it was more of the same. The game didn't really sell me on its mechanics.

That doesn't mean someone else can't enjoy it, but I'd just rather be playing something else.

I guess that's fair. Once you get further in, it becomes MUCH more about hunting monsters and killing BAMs. But if you're not interested in investing the time to get there, you likely won't enjoy it much.

Kammie

I guess that's fair. Once you get further in, it becomes MUCH more about hunting monsters and killing BAMs. But if you're not interested in investing the time to get there, you likely won't enjoy it much.
I also really can't justify that type of time investment. I wanted to give this a try since it was going F2P and see if it hooked me in, which it didn't fully. But it'd be for the best if I don't get sucked into it. The game itself is fine, though, I know it probably takes a while to get to the actual good stuff. This thread is full of screenshots showing that.

Okay so at the launcher I'm getting a "Unable to download manifest" error and can't play.
Just FYI, I got this when I finished the patch. I had to restart the launcher about 10 times until it finally went through.

Windam

Scaley member
Finally got the order confirmation email. I'm also finally off that bloody starter island (been taking it slow and playing lots of WoW as well). Reminded me of Maple Island from Maple Story. God I hated that place.

Makki

My girlfriend and I have been playing since Beta and came back. We have 2 lvl 60s but want to start over on a berserker and a priest. Could I get an invite to the guild (Tempest Reach PVE server) on Piggyback my lvl 28ish berserker and then bring my girlfriend over? shes a priest of the same level.

A name of the Guild leader would also work to ask if there's room left

Arksy

I also really can't justify that type of time investment. I wanted to give this a try since it was going F2P and see if it hooked me in, which it didn't fully. But it'd be for the best if I don't get sucked into it. The game itself is fine, though, I know it probably takes a while to get to the actual good stuff. This thread is full of screenshots showing that.

Just FYI, I got this when I finished the patch. I had to restart the launcher about 10 times until it finally went through.

The picking flowers quest is literally the first quest of the second zone (lumbertown).

I don't even like that zone. I think it's pretty lame. I think valley of the titans is where it starts to pick up pace.

But if the game's not for you, it's not for you.

Makoto

Rolled a character on the PVP server. Level 12 and at Lumbertown. My character will never be able to go past the rest area of this effing town, will he?

Arksy

Rolled a character on the PVP server. Level 12 and at Lumbertown. My character will never be able to go past the rest area of this effing town, will he?

The level 12 fuck around areas are literally the only ridiculous run around snooze fest I can remember for the next 30-40 levels. It doesn't get much better until about level 15 (1-2 hours depending) near the end of that zone when you get into the flow of it.

Alur

Okay so at the launcher I'm getting a "Unable to download manifest" error and can't play.

I fixed this by launching it directly from the TERA folder and not using a shortcut. Had the same problem a few days ago. I relaunched the client about 20-25 times and restarted my system twice before discovering that. Maybe it'll work for you.

Wallach

You've got a few hours of lameness left, but it picks up just after that area. This game definitely has a sense of leveling momentum, where not just the zone design slides into more and more interesting combat, but your character gains more and more in-combat ability. Unless you're a Priest, in which case level in a group as much as possible because solo leveling never really gets interesting.

NeOak

My girlfriend and I have been playing since Beta and came back. We have 2 lvl 60s but want to start over on a berserker and a priest. Could I get an invite to the guild (Tempest Reach PVE server) on Piggyback my lvl 28ish berserker and then bring my girlfriend over? shes a priest of the same level.

A name of the Guild leader would also work to ask if there's room left

Serena is my priest.

There is space. However, i only accept people to the guild when they are online.

Sora_N

This game is so fun...name is Fyerin on Tempest Reach, definitely gonna pick up a copy now for Founder (I want more characters). Are the digital quick start bonuses from en masse worth it?

PewPewK

This game is so fun...name is Fyerin on Tempest Reach, definitely gonna pick up a copy now for Founder (I want more characters). Are the digital quick start bonuses from en masse worth it?

The mount is certainly worth it alone, however, you only get it on one character - so be careful which one you give it to.

Styles

I also started a new character(chose Slayer) on the PVP server and am currently at the exact same location. There's this player named Mistressarcher who goes around and one-shots everybody; I found it hilarious, tbh, even though I died 6 or so times to her. Hehe.

Playing as a Slayer is much more fun than a Priest, however I still suck at the class, lol.

Tc91

If I was to purchase a US copy of the game. Would I need to redownload all of the files? I already have it installed but from the EU setup file.

Veitsev

Does anyone here know how to contact Tera support (WITHOUT logging in) or if there is something wrong with their system? I cannot log in to my account because I cannot receive account armor emails. I cannot file a support ticket because it requires a log in. I have tried to create a new account to try and file a ticket that way but I cannot even receive account verification emails (for that account) on separate computers, in separate locations, on separate email addresses.

Wallach

Does anyone here know how to contact Tera support (WITHOUT logging in) or if there is something wrong with their system? I cannot log in to my account because I cannot receive account armor emails. I cannot file a support ticket because it requires a log in. I have tried to create a new account to try and file a ticket that way but I cannot even receive account verification emails (for that account) on separate computers, in separate locations, on separate email addresses.

Actually, earlier today I tried to log into their website and hit the "Account Armor" thing too, and it failed to send the e-mail. The day prior, I had logged into the game itself, and got the prompt but it sent the e-mail correctly. To fix it, I logged into the game again (which didn't prompt me for the code since I had done it the day before) and that considered me logged into my account on the website.

That said, it could just be that it is down altogether right now, so both the game and website might not be working. Have you tried both, or just via the website?

Veitsev

Actually, earlier today I tried to log into their website and hit the "Account Armor" thing too, and it failed to send the e-mail. The day prior, I had logged into the game itself, and got the prompt but it sent the e-mail correctly. To fix it, I logged into the game again (which didn't prompt me for the code since I had done it the day before) and that considered me logged into my account on the website.

That said, it could just be that it is down altogether right now, so both the game and website might not be working. Have you tried both, or just via the website?

I tried both and I am getting the account armor on the launcher as well. This has been happening since yesterday.

Wallach

I tried both and I am getting the account armor on the launcher as well. This has been happening since yesterday.

I can open a chat with them real quick on your behalf. PM me your account name (not your password, obviously).

Edit - Well, I can in two hours anyway, their live chat is not open until 11 PST.

Top Bottom