• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Arksy

If I can get some of the GW2 crowd into TERA that would be amazing. This is the SECOND time a game I've subbed to has gone F2P the second day after I buy it. (TSW was the other).

Windam

Scaley member
The game is so different from other MMOs it's overwhelming, but still fun. :) Weird ass issue though, when I press O to open the menu, my FPS suddenly drops down to 1 for like 1-1.5 seconds before jumping back up. Is this normal? :s

NeOak

The game is so different from other MMOs it's overwhelming, but still fun. :) Weird ass issue though, when I press O to open the menu, my FPS suddenly drops down to 1 for like 1-1.5 seconds before jumping back up. Is this normal? :s

Unfortunately, yes. UI is software rendered.

You can reduce that stutter by increasing Adobe Flash's cache to 10MB and adding TERA as a trusted program.

Oh. I was wondering why my skills weren't chaining into Vampiric Blow. Turns out a recent patch to fix an exploit broke it. I had to ask another Zerker in my guild what was going on, apparently you can't push the key you bound to Vampiric Blow to chain it from other skills, you have to hit Spacebar for the automatic chain until this bug is fixed. Oh Bluehole, never change.

Being Zerker is definitely more fun than before. I still spend too much time chasing bosses around but at least I feel like when I line up a good back hit, it has a decent chance of doing decent damage when it crits. Part of this is the fact that I upgraded from a T12 to a T13 axe, but the other part is having Vampiric Blow chained to a Thunder Strike gives me a nice 2-hit succession. It also returns a decent amount of HP which is really nice. Being able to block halfway through a Cyclone has already saved my ass a few times when the boss decided it was a good idea to jump while I was spinning.

Apparently Zerkers who are geared up can solo Labyrinth of Terror and Ebon Tower. I went with another Zerker who had his T14 axe into ET and we cleared it as a duo. Thulsa with just me and another guy is pretty exciting.

You can reduce that stutter by increasing Adobe Flash's cache to 10MB and adding TERA as a trusted program.

How do this?

Dunlop

To go with the old school "kill X of...." gamestyle does it also have the oldschool leveling curve?

or how much of a grind to hit 60?

Izayoi

Banned
To go with the old school "kill X of...." gamestyle does it also have the oldschool leveling curve?

or how much of a grind to hit 60?
Not much. Getting to 60 is pretty easy now. Getting to 50 while only soloing in the original Korean version was much more of a chore, but even then the grind was minimal compared to most KMMOs.

Styles

Fighting BAMs as a group is still so much fun. I met a guild member from GAF during one of the sessions. I think I've been kicked from the guild for inactivity. ;)

Fireblend

Banned
So I tried to install and play this, but it seems I'm stuck here:

IXc3o.png

It's been "loading" there for about 30 minutes. =/ any of you guys know what's up? Is this a common issue?

Sophia

This game with the controller is so unbelievably amazing. The moment you start getting enough abilities to combo as a warrior it just clicks. I'm glad it's going Free to Play.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ask in mumble. Squishy, Auru and Soki are very good lancers.

Awesome, thanks. I was soloing some BAMs last night, so I think I'm starting to get a feel for things again. But I just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything of major importance out (or utility skills to watch for).

Are there any good dungeon/boss guides now, or does everyone just use the enmasse website?

Dunlop

This game with the controller is so unbelievably amazing. The moment you start getting enough abilities to combo as a warrior it just clicks. I'm glad it's going Free to Play.

I need to revisit this then ; )

I tried it on the starter tutorial and found it awkward (I had absolutely no idea how to even play the game at the time)...I could not see any options in the menu on how to customize the gamepad buttons even when you chose to play with one.

Have a 360 gamepad that wants to be used!

Wallach

Ordered a new wireless 360 pad (the one with the PC wireless hub) because I kind of want to try this with the controller again and mine is going bust after quite a few years. I can't imagine it working too well for the Priest but I can imagine it doing pretty well with the Berserker.

About the Berserker - did they ever improve the effectiveness of Axe Block? From what I remember people used to talk about it not scaling well enough when it came to hard modes or something. Maybe that was wrong altogether, I never even level capped my Berserker.

Styles

I tried it on the starter tutorial and found it awkward (I had absolutely no idea how to even play the game at the time)...I could not see any options in the menu on how to customize the gamepad buttons even when you chose to play with one.

It was the same for me at first, but you will eventually get the hang of it once you familiarize yourself with the controls. I bitched about it yesterday; I'd like to take that back now. :x

Sophia

I use a PS3 controller. I had to customize the buttons with MotionJoy to match the onscreen display, but once I got them in the right place it worked wonders. I just wish the cursor would snap to items.

It's official, I'm hooked!

I started playing the discovery trial edition yesterday and after nearing level 20 (Elin Sorcerer - so cute!) toward the end of the night, I picked up the full digital version from the en masse store to lock down founder status. This game is seriously a ton of fun and I hope it going F2P helps bolster the playerbase because I can see myself sticking with this game and I'd hate to see it get shut down so soon.

Mims

So being on a PvE server can you still que up for battlegrounds or is that a PvP server option only? I love PvP but only when its fair/instance aka 15v15.

So I tried to install and play this, but it seems I'm stuck here:

It's been "loading" there for about 30 minutes. =/ any of you guys know what's up? Is this a common issue?

Yeah, that Happy Cloud streaming loader is shit. I got past that screen and then ran into a checksum error on the actual launcher. Started from scratch and downloaded the whole thing using the non-streaming option.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, that Happy Cloud streaming loader is shit. I got past that screen and then ran into a checksum error on the actual launcher. Started from scratch and downloaded the whole thing using the non-streaming option.
Ugh, might have to do that when I get home then. Too bad, I was looking forward to getting some hours in soon, but my internet connection is horrid :p

Thanks!

Mupod

I started out with a 360 pad but it rapidly became annoying since I like being able to quickly talk in guild chat. But the real reason I gave up is that it makes bank/inventory stuff incredibly frustrating and tedious.

As for Warriors they end up with so many goddamn abilities it was actually my primary influence for buying a Razer Naga. There's techniques that I'm not sure you could do with a gamepad, and are certainly difficult unless the button is bound to the mouse instead of the keyboard. Such as changing direction during Rising Fury allowing you to move around a BAM while attacking.

Anyways, game is patching now while I'm at work. I'll try and play a bit this weekend, although I will be quite annoyed if I lost my character name since I didn't even know there was a server merge until recently. Also I used to like running TERA on my SSD since it made quite a big difference, but the game's WAY too large to fit now. Maybe I'll buy another one sometime this year.

Slacker

Had fun BAM hunting last night with my mystic. Took a while to retrain myself with the controls. I must have fired off my right-mouse-click skill 50 times trying to run like I was playing GW2.

Is there official word somewhere about how long old players like myself have for free now? I've heard people say we all get a free week, but haven't seen where that's coming from.

Wallach

Had fun BAM hunting last night with my mystic. Took a while to retrain myself with the controls. I must have fired off my right-mouse-click skill 50 times trying to run like I was playing GW2.

Is there official word somewhere about how long old players like myself have for free now? I've heard people say we all get a free week, but haven't seen where that's coming from.

The free page says until the very end of the 16th.

omlet

We have until the 16th to prepare for the F2P zerg. Get your name changes, guild (re-)joining, etc. done before then if you can.

Looking at picking up a gaming mouse for Tera but I've never used one before, any suggestions? I was thinking about the Razer Naga, but I'm concerned about the button placement/formation being to awkward. The Hex version looks like it could be a little easier to use, but it loses quite a few buttons.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looking at picking up a gaming mouse for Tera but I've never used one before, any suggestions? I was thinking about the Razer Naga, but I'm concerned about the button placement/formation being to awkward. The Hex version looks like it could be a little easier to use, but it loses quite a few buttons.

People will argue and give different opinions of every type of gaming mouse.

That being said, I love my Naga and wouldn't trade it for anything. It works SOOO well for MMO's.

E: The button placement will take a few days to adjust to. But once you have, you'll realize how amazing it is to have all of those buttons at your disposal (especially when you through shift+ and ctrl+ into the mix).

Cool, thanks for the opinion. I'm kind of between the Naga and the Logitech G600. They're both the same price, so maybe I'll head to the store tonight and ask for a demo to see which feels better.

It's not worth losing the extra buttons. Get the epic or regular edition Naga; it's amazing. I have owned my Naga Epic for about a year or so now and it took me very little time to adjust (adjusted on the first day and got extremely comfortable in the following weeks). I can never go back to a standard mouse now. It's great for a wide range of games and not just MMOs.

Mupod

As I said above I got a Naga mostly because Warriors are ridiculous. Ended up loving the thing for many other games and I even miss it when I'm web browsing at work since I have F5/home/end bound to it.

There was a bit of a shitstorm a while back about their dumb Synapse software requiring an internet connection, but my naga predates the 2012 version and I can use their legacy mouse software.

Of the four Razer products I've owned I've only had troubles with a Deathadder I got for christmas, but they are still pretty infamous for crappy build quality. There's certainly no problem with the button layout imo, mouse4/mouse5 are little awkward at first but I was completely acclimated to the mouse by level 20 or so.

Mupod

I played on EU during the beta quite a bit from Canada (so I could play every weekend instead of waiting 2 weeks) and the delay was slightly noticeable but quite manageable at off-peak hours when Frogster's crap servers weren't being hammered. Had no trouble soloing BAMs as a Slayer.

Hell I even tanked a dungeon on EU as a Warrior while using cellular internet during a storm in the woods of Northern Ontario. I don't recommend doing that unless you've got the predictive abilities of Joseph Joestar.

Kapoios

Neo Member
Just started today, playing on the NA servers from Cyprus there is a very slight lag (fractions of a second) but nothing unmanageable. I think you'll be fine.

The worst part is getting used to standing still while using skills after guild wars 2.

Kammie

I tried it as an archer but it really doesn't work at all.

Put three hours into this so far. Just now beginning to fight against a few higher-level enemies. Looks like it could be fun eventually, as soon as this extended tutorial ends.

Audioboxer

Anywhere to pickup the US version cheap for founder status? (has to be digitally I live in UK) I can buy myself a UK/EU copy for £9.99 but I read the only way to connect to US servers is with a US copy.

Dunlop

Any other digital download option around where you do not have to choose a sub at the same time (NA) ? Thought GMG would be good but the client was like $50 O_0

Rinoa

How do we expand the number of people we can have in a guild again?

My PVE FLAREgamer guild is still there, mostly empty right now lol.

Whats the ping like on NA for EU people?

I'd be connecting from England.

Got friends in England had no problem, but this was before the major servers condensed into 3..

Slacker

What's a good class for this game?

Depends on your playstyle of course. ;) I personally am working on a Mystic as my main, as well as a Ranger and a Warrior. I personally like the hybrid classes, and Tera does a pretty good job of making them valuable. I assume Mystic is underpowered at the moment because everyone was surprised to see one when I was grouping last night. :p

NeOak

Depends on your playstyle of course. ;) I personally am working on a Mystic as my main, as well as a Ranger and a Warrior. I personally like the hybrid classes, and Tera does a pretty good job of making them valuable. I assume Mystic is underpowered at the moment because everyone was surprised to see one when I was grouping last night. :p

Mystic?

An hero is you, kind sir /salutes

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yeah, Slacker's comment is right. All of the classes are VERY active.

Also, Mystic is a fun class. Kind of hard when the Mystic is the healer and (as a Lancer), I have to run around and pick up orbs...But still a neat class.

I want to try Ranger at some point. Did they adjust the range needed to obtain max damage, or is it still melee range?

Mrg8523-

Is the old GAF guild from the release of the game still active? I logged in yesterday to the pvp server and nobody was on. The guild log was full of people leaving the guild.

Sorcerer has been extremely fun so far, but that's the only class I've played for an extended period of time so take my opinion for what it's worth. I love the kite tactics you have at your disposal (I've gone from level 1 to nearly 20 soloing all of the quests and bosses so far), and it seems like really good burst damage. It's AoE spells are great for taking out groups of enemy minions as well it seems.

Sora_N

Mystic?

An hero is you, kind sir /salutes

Yeah, Slacker's comment is right. All of the classes are VERY active.

Also, Mystic is a fun class. Kind of hard when the Mystic is the healer and (as a Lancer), I have to run around and pick up orbs...But still a neat class.

I want to try Ranger at some point. Did they adjust the range needed to obtain max damage, or is it still melee range?

Is the old GAF guild from the release of the game still active? I logged in yesterday to the pvp server and nobody was on. The guild log was full of people leaving the guild.

Sorcerer has been extremely fun so far, but that's the only class I've played for an extended period of time so take my opinion for what it's worth. I love the kite tactics you have at your disposal (I've gone from level 1 to nearly 20 soloing all of the quests and bosses so far), and it seems like really good burst damage. It's AoE spells are great for taking out groups of enemy minions as well it seems.

Thanks guys, I actually may try Sorcerer first, I usually mix up my first class in new games. I played GW2 last, played Thief, so gonna try Sorcerer this time.

Planning to try Warrior, Archer or something else later though (if I like this game).

Slacker

I'm on the pvp server, but joined the Reddit guild after reading the pvp guild here is no more.

Top Bottom