• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Kammie

This game still looks absolutely gorgeous. It's strange but recently I've been wishing for a friendly Questing experience game to play while listening to music and podcasts... something with generic quest lines I dont have to pay attention to, but fun combat and fun sense of exploration.
The quests are as generic as they come, so you'll love it! In fact, the game is more enjoyable if you don't read all that crap.

T.O.P

Banned
LOL the Trade Broker prices crashed, i just got a new pair of T14 boots and armor (best on broker) for 7k, they were 19k before the patch

Tonight i'll do a shitload of BGs, can't wait to get me the pvp set

i'm loving this, everything is much more afforbable :3

For those on the PVP server it sounds like they are still interested in revamping the Outlaw system and they know that it is pretty much broken. I was watching the livestream yesterday and Knoxxer (Chris Knox) said that the alliance system in the new update is the first step in updating the system. Could this mean alliance (faction) based PVP in the open world?

LOL the Trade Broker prices crashed, i just got a new pair of T14 boots and armor (best on broker) for 7k, they were 19k before the patch

Fuck. I just bought a T14 axe and armor. Knew I should have waited. I bet I'm going to feel even worse when I can get a masterwork T14 for the same price or cheaper, now that they can drop from dungeons.

omlet

This game still looks absolutely gorgeous. It's strange but recently I've been wishing for a friendly Questing experience game to play while listening to music and podcasts... something with generic quest lines I dont have to pay attention to, but fun combat and fun sense of exploration.

Solo questing in TERA sounds right up your alley. However, if you try fighting BAMs (Big Ass Monsters, enemies tuned for a party to fight, though many can still be soloed with enough time and skill) that hit dangerously hard while listening to a podcast you will probably not have the attention for both at once. :p

NeOak

Everyone and their mother trying to get gold to buy MW alka?

Stefan™;47330980 said:
I have 100g left. ;_;

Same her, burned like 10k on MW alka and Spellbind to stock up.

For those on the PVP server it sounds like they are still interested in revamping the Outlaw system and they know that it is pretty much broken. I was watching the livestream yesterday and Knoxxer (Chris Knox) said that the alliance system in the new update is the first step in updating the system. Could this mean alliance (faction) based PVP in the open world?

Yea and no. What he meant was more along the lines of getting infamy working like it was supposed to. The Faction system is something built on top of the Vanarchy system with the 20v20 BG and other stuff.

T.O.P

Banned
Fuck. I just bought a T14 axe and armor. Knew I should have waited. I bet I'm going to feel even worse when I can get a masterwork T14 for the same price or cheaper, now that they can drop from dungeons.

Yeah, i actually wasn't exepting a pricing drop so fast, also the Broker is practically empty compared to few days ago, it seems that everybody is on a shopping spree atm

BTW there's a new Vendor that sells T14 Masterwork +12 Gear at Kaiator's HQ
You need Killing Spree points to buy those...BG killings i guess?

Yea and no. What he meant was more along the lines of getting infamy working like it was supposed to. The Faction system is something built on top of the Vanarchy system with the 20v20 BG and other stuff.

Right. It would be interesting if they brought this same functionality into the open world system though.

froliq

Time to jump in again. Unsure if I want to continue my berserker on the PvE server or start over on the PvP one.

At the moment I keep getting "Source file checksum error" when the patch finishes downloading.

T.O.P

Banned
Did an ACNM run with a warrior, got 3 MW Alkatest each

Not so bad actually, i always do 2-3 run per day so it's ok

Will try a solo run for LOT and i'll let you know

omlet

Time to jump in again. Unsure if I want to continue my berserker on the PvE server or start over on the PvP one.

At the moment I keep getting "Source file checksum error" when the patch finishes downloading.

Are you using any dat/texture/etc. mods?

Did an ACNM run with a warrior, got 3 MW Alkatest each

Not so bad actually, i always do 2-3 run per day so it's ok

Will try a solo run for LOT and i'll let you know

Check ET for us while you're at it?

NeOak

Holy shit, these elite buffs.

I can make like 1800g doing the 20 dailies. Add that the double credits/rep.

Yay, Sorcerers didn't lose Glyph of Sharing on Fireblast! Someone posted on the TERA forums that it's now a passive skill purchased from a trainer. Bonus!

DLing this today, can you really play the whole game for free?

Edit: Whats the best class for someone who likes to click alot? (I play alot of sc2)
Also whats the class that has the least to do?

What US servers will the Gaf guild be on!!!

Prior to the patch the PVE guild was on Tempest Reach, while the PVP guild was on Mount Tyrannas. I doubt that'll be changing, though I'm sure we'll see some movement back and forth with people changing from one to the other.

DLing this today, can you really play the whole game for free?

Edit: Whats the best class for someone who likes to click alot? (I play alot of sc2)
Also whats the class that has the least to do?

Yes, you can play the whole game for free. There are perks for people who bought the game or who continue to pay a subscription but content isn't locked out if you play for free. As for class, have you played any MMOs before? If so, what kind of classes did you enjoy in those games, and what role did you like to perform (tank, healer, support, melee dps, ranged dps)?

Xamdou

Prior to the patch the PVE guild was on Tempest Reach, while the PVP guild was on Mount Tyrannas. I doubt that'll be changing, though I'm sure we'll see some movement back and forth with people changing from one to the other.

Do they allow people to transfer their characters from one server to another?

Also is there a monk type class (Diablo 3) in Tera?

Do they allow people to transfer their characters from one server to another?

Yea server transfers are free at the moment, but they've eluded to them not being that way forever. There's also a delay in how often you can change if I remember correctly.

I'm not that familiar with D3, but from looking them up just now they seem like a speedy melee fighter rather than a heavy weapon user. I'd say that Warrior would probably be the closest to that. As a melee DPS they have fast combat speed and attack with dual wielded swords. They can also be played as an agility/evasion tank (as aposed to Lancer being the 'take it like a man' 'meat sheild' tank), but I've heard that they're challenging to play as a tank. For ranged dps, both Archer and Sorcerer are ranged burst DPS. I've heard that Archer kind of takes a back seat in terms of damage potential in late game PVE.

Yea server transfers are free at the moment, but they've eluded to them not being that way forever. There's also a delay in how often you can change if I remember correctly.

I'm not that familiar with D3, but from looking them up just now they seem like a speedy melee fighter rather than a heavy weapon user. I'd say that Warrior would probably be the closest to that. As a melee DPS they have fast combat speed and attack with dual wielded swords. They can also be played as an agility/evasion tank (as aposed to Lancer being the 'take it like a man' 'meat sheild' tank), but I've heard that they're challenging to play as a tank. For ranged dps, both Archer and Sorcerer are ranged burst DPS. I've heard that Archer kind of takes a back seat in terms of damage potential in late game PVE.

What class is closest to paladin tank, ala WoW?

I never played WoW, but from a tanking perspective the closest of the two tank classes would likely be Lancer. They wear heavy plate, use a lance and shield, and have a self healing skill. In addition to your standard threat handling, shielding, and attack abilities they can also use "leash" abilities to pull in and position enemies where they want them. From what I've seen Lancers are in high demand, and I think the PVE GAF guild was hoping for a few more.

Xamdou

What is everyone here playing as? Which character is the best for solo? Still deciding what to play as... how many characters can we make?

notworksafe

Blergh. Trying to also install Tera on my laptop and getting the error "Unable to contact reliable source" when patching. That's a new one.

What is everyone here playing as? Which character is the best for solo? Still deciding what to play as... how many characters can we make?

This page does a good job at summarizing what you get as each tier of account in the 'What are the different account tiers?' section. If you're going to be just a standard free account then you'll have access to 2 character slots with the option to purchase more.

I'm currently a 45 Sorcerer, it's a great dps class (super fun if you like ranged dps) and I've had no problem soloing so far with 'superior' rarity gear dropped from instances (and a few pieces from the broker/auction house). There are some quests and missions that involve BAMs (Bad Ass Monsters - aka Named Monsters or Notorious Monters in other games) that you will likely need to group with others to deal with, regardless of class, unless you're skilled enough to solo them.

omlet

Lancer is the heavy armor tank in the game but it can't self-heal like a paladin can and it can't change specs to DD when not tanking. Lancer tanking is more like WoW's prot warriors.

Click a lot? Well, kinda depends on how you have your key/mousebinds set and how your skill chains are configured. I find I click the mouse and press spacebar a lot more on Lancer than on Sorc, but push number keys more on Sorc, for what it's worth. Slayer is a bit clicky. Berserker is definitely not a very clicky class because you want to be sure and aim before you commit to an attack.

Also whats the class that has the least to do
I'm not sure how to answer this. Is this a trick question? I guess all I can say is I hear more complaints from healers than anyone else about being bored when the tank/DD are good at avoiding/blocking. While I was leveling and doing instances on lancer (which are mostly easy, mechanics-lite bosses), healers were always complaining about being bored so I'd take off my armor or something so they'd have to pay attention for when I missed a block or got flanked lol. Generally though at level 60 as a healer doing endgame stuff I don't think that's the case; things are more dangerous in the level 60 dungeons, especially hardmodes.

What is everyone here playing as?
Anything and everything.

Which character is the best for solo?
The one you like.

Still deciding what to play as... how many characters can we make?
Per-server limit is 2 if you're f2p, 8 if you're founder/subbing. I suggest you visit the official site, their FAQs/support pages are very good.

Nope. Check OP for class/race info links.

notworksafe

Finally got the patcher working. What a hassle. Curious to see how this runs on my old laptop and to play around with my new Founder horse! :D

Still wanting to join the GAF guild. My Warrior is at L46 now, name's Renault.

Those Emeralds sell for a huge stack of cash at NPC shops, I got one from a strongbox and was like O.O when I saw the price.

My patcher has stopped at 12% of the applying patch phase. Googled it and cant find anything. Anybody else have this problem?

edit: I think I fixed it by making some more space.

OatmealMu

Wow. First game I've come across that has native support for PS3 button icons. Not sure the warrior class is suited for a gamepad, though. I'll keep playing and see if things eventually feel more natural.

Anyone have backed up files for the elin outfits that are altered by the decensor mod? It looks like I didn't back them up and the patch is rejecting because of the decensor.

I was able to patch my client without any problems and I have the Elin decensor mod installed.

Anyone have backed up files for the elin outfits that are altered by the decensor mod? It looks like I didn't back them up and the patch is rejecting because of the decensor.

I think I have the original files but not sure where I could upload them at the moment.

Edit: PM sent!

Top Bottom