• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Got my Wielding Axe (Conjunct) and enchanted up to +9. I failed Masterwork about 8 times. I'm going to be seeing a lot of Ebon Tower and Labyrinth of Terror this weekend. ._.

Leading Battlegrounds is really frustrating when people don't listen. Here is an example of a match I had last night:

NOTICE: EVERYONE Mid! ONLY one person ninja North.
*3 people go North and another 2-3 go South*
*spam location marker on Mid*
*wiped out at Mid*

NOTICE: Let them have Mid! Capture and hold North and South until they leave Mid.
*Everyone goes Mid*
*North and South are lost*
*Wiped at Mid again*
*Enemy is triple capped*

We manage to keep things close by running around the map and constantly recapping points left unguarded by the enemy while the rest of our team scatters around the map road fighting aimlessly, no matter how many times I try to direct them to specific capture points.

NOTICE: Everyone South! TERA up in less than 30 secs!
*location scan*
*spam BAM location at south capture point*

Everyone fights over North and we lose the BAM and give the enemy a buff.
Some people in Raid chat: "Why was everyone at North?"

NOTICE: NAGA up in less than a minute. EVERYONE NORTH! GO GO GO!!
*location scan*
*spam location marker on North*

Everyone is fighting over Mid.

*bomb North in last ditch effort to KS the NAGA as a few team members finally begin showing up at the last second*

Naga is lost.

This continues up until the end of the match. It's a lot of work to fight people while also stopping all the time to cast location scans, meteor, waypoints, and give instructions and really disheartening when NOBODY is listening. This is why I never check the "able to lead" box, but sometimes the game forces me to anyway or someone else ends up randomly passing it to me.

Also frustrating is getting thrown into a garbage team with no gear and PVE weapons against a team stacked with +12 VM premades. That matchmaking. I guess this is why they don't allow you to queue into normal Battlegrounds with more than 5 people, but it would be nice to be able to play with more friends. The matches can be so uneven sometimes it really doesn't even matter. Just let me play with more friends and guild members! At least then we can have fun while getting face rolled.

BGs illustrate in stark detail everything that is wrong with PvP in this game. Which is pretty much everything. This game has the worst PvP of any MMO I have ever played, which is quite an accomplishment when you realize how much potential is wasted with the action combat system. It's so unbalanced that Aion is literally a better balanced game. Classes have literally no balance at all and gear makes skill completely unnecessary. If you are in VM you already won, the other team can just go AFK and wait for 15 minutes for their 30 points. Classes are adjusted based on their popularity, which is why Lancer keeps getting buffed even though they have always been OP. Balance is generally done by Bluehole throwing shit at the wall like monkeys flinging poo which is why a fucking retarded stagger mechanic was added to PvP which actually unbalanced the game even more instead of fixing anything. There is so much lag and desync that only classes with lock-on attacks can even hit anything. The framerate is atrocious in BGs. There is literally no matchmaking system at all, the game just populates one team at a time in the order people queue which is why it's always stacking premades on one team against a bunch of solo queues with T12 quest gear.

Izayoi

Banned
Sooo, is the game even fun at level 60? Because the way you guys are describing it kinda sounds like a huge pain.
I think some people are very invested in it and might come across as angry or annoyed, but they are playing still, right?

I love the game. Recently transferred to MT and am playing with some folks from a while back and it's been great. I love running dungeons, and running dungeons in TERA is probably the most productive thing you can do, so it's a win-win.

I think that as long as you don't get super invested and let enchanting or PvP get under your skin it can be a lot of fun. Definitely some of the best dungeons in any MMO, and a lot of the new content has awesome bosses and mechanics. It's very hard, and to be honest, that's kind of refreshing after the past few years of mind-numbingly easy MMOs.

docbon

BGs illustrate in stark detail everything that is wrong with PvP in this game. Which is pretty much everything. This game has the worst PvP of any MMO I have ever played, which is quite an accomplishment when you realize how much potential is wasted with the action combat system. It's so unbalanced that Aion is literally a better balanced game. Classes have literally no balance at all and gear makes skill completely unnecessary. If you are in VM you already won, the other team can just go AFK and wait for 15 minutes for their 30 points. Classes are adjusted based on their popularity, which is why Lancer keeps getting buffed even though they have always been OP. Balance is generally done by Bluehole throwing shit at the wall like monkeys flinging poo which is why a fucking retarded stagger mechanic was added to PvP which actually unbalanced the game even more instead of fixing anything. There is so much lag and desync that only classes with lock-on attacks can even hit anything. The framerate is atrocious in BGs. There is literally no matchmaking system at all, the game just populates one team at a time in the order people queue which is why it's always stacking premades on one team against a bunch of solo queues with T12 quest gear.

I've been grinding my mystic to 60 specifically for the chance to run BGs, and this has me worried. I sincerely don't understand mixing in the gear grind with controlled PvP instances. From what I hear, I'll spend the beginning of my BG career getting obliterated in single shots, with the chance to pay it forward later on. Honestly, neither sounds fun for me or my opponent.

Masterworked my Wielding Axe and got +12. We did some ET guild runs for MES and it only took about 4 more tries. Alora (androidcandy) also got MW and +12 on her Crasis Robe.

I think some people are very invested in it and might come across as angry or annoyed, but they are playing still, right?

I love the game. Recently transferred to MT and am playing with some folks from a while back and it's been great. I love running dungeons, and running dungeons in TERA is probably the most productive thing you can do, so it's a win-win.

I think that as long as you don't get super invested and let enchanting or PvP get under your skin it can be a lot of fun. Definitely some of the best dungeons in any MMO, and a lot of the new content has awesome bosses and mechanics. It's very hard, and to be honest, that's kind of refreshing after the past few years of mind-numbingly easy MMOs.

PM sent! Join us :3

I've been grinding my mystic to 60 specifically for the chance to run BGs, and this has me worried. I sincerely don't understand mixing in the gear grind with controlled PvP instances. From what I hear, I'll spend the beginning of my BG career getting obliterated in single shots, with the chance to pay it forward later on. Honestly, neither sounds fun for me or my opponent.

It's nice because there is a sense of progression but the matchmaking makes it painful at times because of potentially unbalanced teams. You have to take the good with the bad in most cases. As a Mystic you will probably be better off than a melee starting BG since you can mostly hang in the background and heal/assist which makes it easier to escape when things get rough. By playing smart you can still contribute a lot and score points by capturing pylons and getting assists.

If you buy the base Victor's set it will help your survivability when starting out but there is definitely a large or rather enormous gap between that and someone in full MW VM.

Dizzy-4U

Do I need to download a new launcher somewhere (I'm updating from the old client)? Please don't tell me I have to download the whole thing again. After a few downloads, the new launcher is still missing.

Izayoi

Banned
It donwloaded a couple of files, it says 100% done, but the new launcher doesn't show up. I think it's kinda broken.
Try restarting your computer and see if the new launcher works. It took me a while to get it to show up as well, but after some time it ended up switching over automatically.

docbon

It's nice because there is a sense of progression but the matchmaking makes it painful at times because of potentially unbalanced teams. You have to take the good with the bad in most cases. As a Mystic you will probably be better off than a melee starting BG since you can mostly hang in the background and heal/assist which makes it easier to escape when things get rough. By playing smart you can still contribute a lot and score points by capturing pylons and getting assists.

I guess I can understand how other people want the time invested in their character to show. The only sense of progression I really want to feel in a pvp context is in my own skill. For me, gear stats being such a tremendous variable only muddies the question "Was I / My opponent outplayed?"

With regards to mystics, I also have a question:

Since mystics are more of a healer / crowd control hybrid, I'd like to know how noticeable the passive CC resists are in general, and if there's any 2-player combo to 'prime' a target so my spells aren't resisted quite as often. It looks like all my CC abilities have cooldowns ranging from 30 seconds - 3 minutes, so it's important that they count.

Izayoi

Banned
Since mystics are more of a healer / crowd control hybrid, I'd like to know how noticeable the passive CC resists are in general, and if there's any 2-player combo to 'prime' a target so my spells aren't resisted quite as often. It looks like all my CC abilities have cooldowns ranging from 30 seconds - 3 minutes, so it's important that they count.
Sleeps are absolutely brutal in PvP. I haven't done much PvPing, but as a Zerker a Mystic is my best friend. Crit buffs + a slept target = death. PvP sets build on damage increase and reduction, not resistances, so I don't think you'd be resisted very often (if at all).

With the exception of that certain Priest skill, resistances to status effects were essentially removed with the 3v3 Arena patch. You will land status effects on opposing players at a base rate of >90%. However the Mystic sleep in particular has been nerfed to break on damage, so the best thing to do is to send a Warrior or Lancer to perma-stun or perma-stagger someone you've slept because they will wake when you hit them. In all situations, the solution is always to send a Lancer or Warrior because they can essentially keep you continuously stunned or staggered from 100% -> 0% HP, and barring that, an Archer can also keep you staggered until they've burned all their CD skills. This is why the current "stomp comp" in 3v3 is Lancer/Warrior/Mystic, because of their infinite CC ability.

In BGs, the goal essentially at the beginning of all new BGs is to have the Lancers Giga-Leash everybody on the other team so the Sorcerors and Archers can spam all their AoE skills at once and try to kill 5-6 people immediately so your team can then faceroll any survivors. Everyone rushes the middle Crystal at the beginning to execute this identical tactic, and if your team has a premade with multiple Lancers and one or two Conjunct and VM Sorcs and Archers you can generally instagib the opposing team with this tactic. Remaining opposition can then be wiped out, then your team generally wins the BG at a rate of 100%. In other words a BG lasts 15-20 minutes but the outcome is usually decided in the first 30 seconds depending on which team gets annihilated at the start near the middle Crystal. Because this game's matchmaking system is so balanced, what this actually means is you can hold Z when you spawn into Fraywind Canyon and look at who's on your team and who's on theirs, and if your team has the all-VM premade you have already won. The outcome of a BG is pre-determined at the start, and if your opposition is the team with the all-VM premade you might as well create a macro which holds down Auto-Attack, face a wall in your spawn, attack it for 20 minutes, and go AFK.

In general, if you want to PvP in this game, I strongly suggest you roll Lancer, Warrior, Sorcerer, Archer, or Priest if you really love healing. There is currently no reason to play Slayer or Zerker in PvP, because Slayer got nerfed straight into the ground and Zerker has never been more awful in PvP than it is right now because you have to charge every skill and you can be staggered, stunned, or slept out of everything you try to do. There are literally 2 Zerkers in the top 50 of 3v3 rankings right now and soon there will be just 1 because I think one of the Zerkers gave up when he decided that PvP was too balanced so he said fuck it. Bluehole can go fuck themselves. Mystics aren't at all useful in BGs where you need to drop huge heals on large numbers of people but they are quite powerful in endgame PvE and they are preferred in 3v3s right now over Priest because of their Sleep. I've started leveling a Lancer recently because I also want to Giga-Leash everyone in a BG and then my team can BRAZZERS them. I love balanced PvP, and Tera has literally the most balanced PvP of any MMO I've ever played.

Izayoi

Banned
Tera or GW2??? What is the better MMO??
Well, you're asking in the TERA thread, so you're probably going to get a lot of "TERA". I'll try to give you some reasons as to why I'm going to say TERA.

1.) Totally free. F2P from start to finish, the only thing you won't have are 8 character slots and all of your bank tabs. Good news is that both can be bought on the Auction House with in-game currency, and there's no real reason to have more until you've invested a lot of time into the game. Almost everything that can be purchased in the cash shop can also be purchased with in-game currency.

2.) The combat is way better. GW2 is a step in the right direction, but it's nowhere near as dynamic as TERA. Giving everyone a roll does not an action game make.

3.) Better instances. TERA's instances are pretty straightforward until endgame, but they branch out significantly there and are quite entertaining. Even the low level instances are a lot more fun than I had with any GW2 instance.

4.) Super bright and colorful art style! One of the best things about TERA is progressing through the game and checking out the amazing art design throughout. I may be a bit biased here because I started GW2 as a Charr and most of their areas are really drab and colorless, so it kind of burned me out on the overall art direction. Later on the game does get better, especially in the alpine areas, but the beginning of the game left a bad impression on me.

The one thing I will say that GW2 has over TERA are very expansive, sprawling zones. TERA is a more focused and linear experience than GW2. However, TERA does excel at sprawling overworld dungeons that are a ton of fun to explore, something that GW2 lacks.

Someone explain factions to me.
Reputation factions?

docbon

If you do decide to play tera, don't try solo leveling a mystic. The combination of the dreadful questing system, and your attack power rivaling baby's fist, makes for the one of the dullest experiences in modern online gaming.

I've probably said the above before, but I feel it needs repeating.

P. S. Hit me up on steam whenever you level your alts, ROBO. The level 40 zone is feeling pretty empty, and my experience bar is moving slower than ever. I'm just not having fun playing alone atm.

Izayoi

Banned
If you do decide to play tera, don't try solo leveling a mystic. The combination of the dreadful questing system, and your attack power rivaling baby's fist, makes for the one of the dullest experiences in modern online gaming.

P. S. Hit me up on steam whenever you level your alts, ROBO. The level 40 zone is feeling pretty empty, and my experience bar is moving slower than ever. I'm just not having fun playing alone atm.
Honestly man, I'd shelve the Mystic until you have a leveling partner. I'm working on a Warrior and a Slayer right now, but it will be a while before they're 40, otherwise I'd offer to level with you. Unless you have a DPS running with you, it's only going to get worse in the 50's, and I'm worried that you'll end up quitting altogether.

Tera or GW2??? What is the better MMO??

Probably not the most unbiased place to ask this question but I did play Guild Wars 2 for a while. In Guild Wars 2, I leveled one character to cap and leveled several other classes and crafting trades. I completed a large majority of the dungeons, finished most of the jumping puzzles, explored close to 100% of the world map, and participated in WvW fairly often. Both games have their good parts and bad parts but I got bored with Guild Wars 2 rather quickly and prefer TERA by a huge margin. Here are the pros and cons of both games in my opinion:

Guild Wars 2

Pros:
+B2P - No subscription.
+Polish
+Exploration
+Jumping Puzzles
+Level Scaling - Players can be scaled down for PVE or up for PVP.
+No Queues - Overflow servers and game worlds eliminate the need for a queue.
+WvW - Amazing siege based gameplay on a large scale.
+Art Direction - Talented artists but feels wasted on poor graphics engine.
+Support - Outstanding support with frequent updates and seasonal events.
+Guild System - Robust account based system with most features covered and expanded.
+PVP Balance - While not always 'balanced', players are automatically scaled to equal footing (same level and abilities) with gear having minimal influence.
+Dye System - Dye system that allows a good deal of gear customization with a wide variety of colors. Collecting dyes is a meta-game of sorts.
+Encourages Grouping - Mob claiming, dynamic event mechanics, and level scaling encourages people to play together.

Cons:
-Dungeons - Horrible mechanics and poorly tuned encounters.
-Graphics - Not to be harsh but it just looks ugly. The level of detail in some areas is nice but it's not enough to compensate.
-Story - Personal story is dumb and the overarching story is weak. Still better than TERA. Barely.
-Voice Acting - Better than TERA by a longshot but still pretty bad. Some of it is tolerable to good.
-Lack of 'Holy Trinity' - Sounds great until you start running dungeons.
-Races - I almost never play a Human in an MMO but the alternatives here left me no choice.
-Dynamic Events - Did not live up to its promise and it was the primary method of leveling. Auto questing with zergs.
-Cash Shop - Rarely updated and items were not very attractive.
-Combat System - Generic combat with a dodge roll mechanic slapped on. Prone to button mashing.
-Underwater Combat - Loved exploring the depths but combat underwater was terrible and annoying.
-Trades - Crafting and gathering is shallow.
-Level up by doing everything - Thought this was kind of ridiculous (especially via crafting) but some people liked it.
-Progression - Your character stops growing at cap and most progression is reliant on updating your 'look' with new skins.
-No dungeon finder and grouping tools are lacking
-No mounts
-Too generic

End Game:
* Play WvW for the glory of your server.
* Compete in team based, structured PVP (SPVP).
* Run dungeons for tokens used to purchase armor skins and weapon skins.
* Legendary Weapons
* Guild Missions (New)
* 100% map completion.
* Complete Jumping Puzzles.
* Collect pets (Ranger class).
* Achievements - Daily and monthly achievements reward gold and items.

Coming Soon: ???

TERA

Pros:
+F2P - No purchase or subscription required.
+Combat System - Action and skill based with mouselook and no tab targeting.
+Dungeons - Challenging content with tough bosses and great mechanics.
+BAMs - Challenging giant monsters that are fun to solo or take down in a group.
+Graphics - This is still one of the best looking MMOs to date.
+Art Direction - The art and design appeals to my senses much more than GW2.
+Races (dat Elin & Popori)
+Classes - All of them feel and play completely different and are equally fun.
+Traditional 'Holy Trinity' Setup - This works for a reason.
+Instance Matching - Easy to use system that helps players find other players to complete content with.
+Battlegrounds (MOBA like team combat)
+Polish - Not as polished as GW2 but competent and free of bugs.
+Support - Lacking since the F2P conversion but has been good in the past (Frogster/Gameforge in the EU on the other hand ... Yikes!)
+PVP - The PVP 'feels' better than any other MMO due to the combat system.
+Mounts - A wide variety of mounts to choose from with instant cast timers that can be used anywhere. Most dungeons allow the use of mounts.
+Cosmetic items - A wide variety of cosmetic items.

Cons:
-PVP Balance - Heavily reliant on gear. Some classes still feel a bit OP.
-Questing system - Dated, boring, and linear.
-Story - LOL
-Voice Acting - Some of the absolute worst.
-Trades - Crafting and gathering is shallow.
-RNG - Enchanting and Masterworking. Enchanting is a non-issue now but Masterworking can still be a pain.
-Nexus - Horribly implemented end-game content that lags everyone and destroys PC hardware and servers everywhere.
-Localization - Updates are relatively fast considering the region of origin (Korea) but could stand to be faster.
-Guild System - Needs work. Should be account based and allow for more granular and broad permission settings.
-Open World PVP - Poor implementation that can add some spice to leveling and can be fun when things are even, but unfortunately high level ganking and PK groups reign supreme. Lots of channels and ways to avoid them though.
-Matchmaking - Battlegrounds matchmaking is poorly implemented and has a tendency to create unbalanced teams.
-UI - A good level of customization but it lacks in some areas and still causes major performance issues.
-Not enough armor variety (armor for each race is completely different at least).

End Game:
* Play Battlegrounds (3v3, 15v15). Players are ranked and statistics tracked and reset every 90 days.
* Earn tokens in Battlegrounds to exchange for PVP gear, materials, and items.
* Deathmatches - For fun and/or practice.
* Duels - 1v1 fights For fun and/or practice. Stat tracking exists but has not been implemented.
* Open World PVP - PVP server only.
* GvG - PVP servers are unrestricted while PVE servers can only participate in consensual combat.
* Politics - Vanarchy. Based on popular voting and GvG. Winners get various benefits and manage a policy point system to control game zones.
* Daily Quests - Complete for progression, gold, credits, gear, materials, and items.
* Run dungeons for gear, weapons, recipes, materials, and items.
* Run dungeons for tokens used to buy advanced 'Master' glyphs that enhance skills and abilities.
* Nexus - 'Rift' like open world content for level 60 players.
* Nexus Traverse - 20-Man (or 7-Man) instanced raid for gear and items.
* Enchanting - Enhance weapons and armor by unlocking bonuses and increasing base stats.
* Masterworking - Advanced enchanting that allows you to go to +12 while increasing base stats and bonuses.
* Achievements - Unlock achievements for titles and rewards.

Coming Soon: Faction oriented PVP (alliances). Siege based gameplay over three continents. Consul politics. New raid (20 man Kelsaik raid). Patch to help fix horrible Nexus implementation.

Will do!

Mystic is definitely not an easy class to level solo. Try skipping all the zone quests and only complete the story quests in order to unlock dungeons. Then, run the dungeon multiple times to level up until you get to the point where you're not gaining much anymore. If you find yourself falling behind you can complete a few zone quests. BAM quests give the most experience but unfortunately also take the longest. If you get too far ahead of us we can power level you on BAM quests.

I have been focusing on my main a lot to try and complete my Conjunct set for PVP, practice ACHM, and farm MES and gold. Outside of the weekend, I think Tuesdays and Thursdays are the best days for me to level my alts since there isn't any Nexus on those days. Nexus and Daily quests tend to eat up 2-3 hours in the roughly 5-6 hours I have a night to play during the week and I tend to want to do BGs for Bellicarium credits (and fun).

I could skip dailies on some days but it's hard to say no to 2000G+ a day.

The sudden influx of gold into the economy is causing some incredible Zimbabwe style inflation. I don't know how I'm going to ever gear up my Lancer alt when Regentip and Queensplate have gone up in price to over 100k gold. The problem with the economy now is that it is divided into the haves (people who farm MCHM) and the have-nots (everybody else) and it's only getting worse. There doesn't seem to be any end in sight to this inflation, at the rate it is going we'll be looking at a scenario similar to what happened in FFXI.

docbon

Probably not the most unbiased place to ask this question but I did play Guild Wars 2 for a while. In Guild Wars 2, I leveled one character to cap and leveled several other classes and crafting trades. I completed a large majority of the dungeons, finished most of the jumping puzzles, explored close to 100% of the world map, and participated in WvW fairly often. Both games have their good parts and bad parts but I got bored with Guild Wars 2 rather quickly and prefer TERA by a huge margin. Here are the pros and cons of both games in my opinion:

Guild Wars 2

Coming Soon: ???

Just got back into GW2 myself.

As far as I know, dungeons are being rebalanced and tweaked one by one to make them more fun. They just did all three paths in the Ascalaon Catacombs, which I actually enjoy doing now, and I think Caudecus Manor is next. A WvWvW progression system is also going to be added in March, so you can gain additional world PVP centric abilities the longer you participate. PvE content is getting rolled out every week for the Flame and Frost storyline as well.

As far as endgame goes, a lot of the big meta-event chains across each zone have been rebalanced so they have some value even after you hit the level cap, mostly in the form of better, unique loot. Some of the more obscure encounters are fun to do, since people don't zerg for them either. You can also party up with a few friends/pugs and do the fractals of the mist, which are a collection of mini-dungeons with some interesting mechanics associated with them, along with a higher tier of possible item rewards.

The game still has a few kinks to sort out, especially the dragon encounters (which are basically laggy, game crashing loot pinatas), but I see it shaping up quite nicely in a relatively short amount of time.

edit: also the culling issue in world pvp is going to be dealt with, allah be praised.

Katoki

Yep. I started TERA when it went F2P because I got bored and felt GW2 needed work. Now I play both games in the same day because it's fun with how frantic it is to get to different events and what not.

I still very much enjoy TERA... so much so that my priest is nearing 30 and not quite at the point where it'll have the necessary quests for Sinestral Manor. Hell, I'll probably have out-leveled the guild quests for the stuff in SM by the time I get close to finishing the kill count.

ZenaxPure

Hi Tera-gaf, I've been playing the game a bit since it went F2P and after going through just about all the classes I think I like how the lancer feels the most (none of my characters have made it past 20 yet, though, so I haven't messed around with every ability and whatnot). Anyway I have a question before I dedicate my time to one, how is tanking in Tera? Is threat an issue when you are running dungeons or what? I play a lot of WoW and something I have appreciated over the last expansion is how Blizzard has made aggro not a big issue and instead had tanks focus more on actively mitigating damage.

Obviously Tera is a much different game but what I am getting at is I don't find much fun in struggling to hold threat but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of actually having to keep myself from dying. Tera obviously has active defense in the truest sense of the word but I am very curious about how the aggro system works in the game.

Also questing is such a bore :(, they flow nice and are easy enough to do but man just about every single one involves killing stuff. The combat keeps it interesting, at least though.

Izayoi

Banned
The sudden influx of gold into the economy is causing some incredible Zimbabwe style inflation. I don't know how I'm going to ever gear up my Lancer alt when Regentip and Queensplate have gone up in price to over 100k gold. The problem with the economy now is that it is divided into the haves (people who farm MCHM) and the have-nots (everybody else) and it's only getting worse. There doesn't seem to be any end in sight to this inflation, at the rate it is going we'll be looking at a scenario similar to what happened in FFXI.
It's easy to farm a shitload of money as a result, though. Farming and selling MES can net you thousands of gold an hour. Getting enough gear to farm MCHM is not hard, you can do it with +9 Abyss. Took me four days total (probably 10-15 runs a day) of farming ET/LoT and doing my dailies to get a full +9 set (including axe). I'd say around 35k gold including enchanting costs.

Duoing ET at just under 15 minutes a run, with an average of four scrolls a run ends up being around 4000-5000 gold an hour.

Obviously Tera is a much different game but what I am getting at is I don't find much fun in struggling to hold threat but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of actually having to keep myself from dying. Tera obviously has active defense in the truest sense of the word but I am very curious about how the aggro system works in the game.
Eventually, when your gear is good enough at endgame, losing aggro will happen but only on occasion (DPS getting a 1,000,000+ crit, for example). You'll won't be actively fighting a DPS for aggro unless they're good and they've got a +12 Regent or Visionmaker weapon (which is a miniscule fraction of the all DPS).

cilonen

Hi Tera-gaf, I've been playing the game a bit since it went F2P and after going through just about all the classes I think I like how the lancer feels the most (none of my characters have made it past 20 yet, though, so I haven't messed around with every ability and whatnot). Anyway I have a question before I dedicate my time to one, how is tanking in Tera? Is threat an issue when you are running dungeons or what? I play a lot of WoW and something I have appreciated over the last expansion is how Blizzard has made aggro not a big issue and instead had tanks focus more on actively mitigating damage.

Also questing is such a bore :(, they flow nice and are easy enough to do but man just about every single one involves killing stuff. The combat keeps it interesting, at least though.

The dungeons where threat really was an issue (Fane of Kaprima Hard Mode, Lancer and Crab battles; Balder's Temple Hard Mode) are kinda obsolete now and there's no reason for a level 60, newly minted or veteran, to run them anymore. They've been nerfed quite considerably from when they were the ultimate in endgame content too. but I'm not sure if they specifically addressed threat in the nerfs.

You should be fine - TERA's best when you're having fun with your class and if tanking feels fun, go for it.

Rinoa

My slayer has the first one, Queen's Wrath and Regent set have that model/skin. Here's a pic of him.

The castanic female cloth set is obtainable from from Agnitor/Nexus Traverse if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks, and these can't be sold I'm guessing? They're just something you quest for?

Dec

How do I go about joining the GAF guild? I'm on Tempest Reach and saw the starting zone is owned by a guild with the GAF logo called "Believe" I assume that's you guys?

Babalu.

How do I go about joining the GAF guild? I'm on Tempest Reach and saw the starting zone is owned by a guild with the GAF logo called "Believe" I assume that's you guys?

you're not allowed to unless your are super uber elite lvl 60 willing to be hardcore and run endgame instances frequently without missing more then a few days in a row.

Dec

you're not allowed to unless your are super uber elite lvl 60 willing to be hardcore and run endgame instances frequently without missing more then a few days in a row.

I fall short of your modest requirements. :(

Edit: Oh wow, you weren't kidding. Haha, no thanks I'm fine with just me and my wife. :) Just wanted to chat with some people.

Sorry for the above sarcasm, I really didn't think there was any situation where that would be serious.

So could someone make a second guild? What makes the current guild "official" as stated on the site?

I fall short of your modest requirements. :(

Edit: Oh wow, you weren't kidding. Haha, no thanks I'm fine with just me and my wife. :) Just wanted to chat with some people.

Sorry for the above sarcasm, I really didn't think there was any situation where that would be serious.

So could someone make a second guild? What makes the current guild "official" as stated on the site?

You can always transfer and join the GAF guild on Mount Tyrannas. My wife and I always play together as well so it would be cool to have another couple on board. Mostly online during the week from 6-12 PM EST and frequently at many different times during the weekend.

http://tera-believe.guildlaunch.com

Katoki

Odd, can't connect to any server besides Lake of Tears. Can't seem to find any information either but I suppose life is telling me to get those assignments done.

soc

GM In game: Server will go down at 8 PST.
GM on forum: Server will go down at 10 PST.

Server goes down at 9:15.

Cronox

Banned
Don't worry, devs are getting plenty of shit for it on the official forums. I had a named quest BAM down to 10% when they went down too.

I actually wonder if EME will give Elite people any free times for all the server outages or not. I'm going to cancel my Elite anyways, as I've been cutting my playtime back to almost only weekends and pretty much just leveling my alt.

jdavid459

Thanks dude, that was a great post. Appreciate it. I've been playing TERA, level 8 or so now. I really like it. The questing gets pretty boring but the graphics, art and combat keep me hooked. Hoping for more interesting gameplay once I get high enough level for dungeons/pvp/raids and the like.

So, I just got into this game this morning. I'm only level 8 but I'm really loving this game so far! I'm sick of paying for wow, it's lack of pvp support isn't worth it and GW2's combat and movement is just to clunky and awkward. Does anyone have any tips for a new player? I'm a priest btw.

Cronox

Banned
So, I just got into this game this morning. I'm only level 8 but I'm really loving this game so far! I'm sick of paying for wow, it's lack of pvp support isn't worth it and GW2's combat and movement is just to clunky and awkward. Does anyone have any tips for a new player? I'm a priest btw.

Some of the starter island quests let you choose 1 of 3 rewards. Take the Arunic Panacea, you can sell it later at the trade broker for ~17 gold.

So I'm level 12 and made it to the first big town. What level can I start queuing for dungeons or battlegrounds? I click their queue tabs but theres no options.

Ok thanks, one last question for now. Does anyone know where I can find a digital key or a boxed version online so that I can still get founder? I'm guessing people grabbed them all.

cilonen

So I'm level 12 and made it to the first big town. What level can I start queuing for dungeons or battlegrounds? I click their queue tabs but theres no options.

Battlegrounds are only available at endgame, you have to be lvl60 to get in to them. The first dungeon instance is around about lvl22 IIRC, but it'll let you queue a couple levels either side of that I think.

Battlegrounds are only available at endgame, you have to be lvl60 to get in to them. The first dungeon instance is around about lvl22 IIRC, but it'll let you queue a couple levels either side of that I think.

Hardly anybody does Secret Base at level 22 anymore though because they made it story optional. Which sucks because for most first-timer low levels that means they won't actually have to learn their party roles until Sinestral Manor at 26 and you'll get your shit wrecked in that dungeon if your party doesn't have a clue how to play in a party. I feel sorry for the F2Plebs who had to queue with the BRs in SM, that must have been awful.

Ok I hit 15 today on my priest and its a fucking blast. According to Raptr I put in 11 hours today, my first day playing this. Thank god I had the day off. I can't believe I paid for GW2 and not this, I really wish I had founder =\ THis game is the most refreshing mmo I've played since wow first came out. Infact I haven't been able to sit infront of a game for probably 6+ years like this. Most games bore me within a few hours since I got older. I'm a tad drunk atm so imma shut up now.

SmallWind

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...yers-PowerLevel-for-Prizes?page=1#post-801276

TERA’s “No Sleep ‘til 60!” event encourages new players to power-level through a world of true action combat, with special prizes for those who reach level 30, 40, 50, or 60 in just two weeks.

The event, open to anyone who creates a new account after 12:01 a.m. PDT on March 12, will help get you and your friends ready for TERA’s exciting endgame. To enter, all you have to do is start a new TERA account. (Existing players can certainly help the new folks level up, but they can’t start new characters to earn prizes.)

We’ll check your leveling progress at 12:01 a.m. PDT on March 26. Here’s what you’ll get for your highest-level character:

Character level 30–39

- 5 strongbox keys, 7-day 50% XP boost, mirrored shades

Character at level 40–49

- 10 strongbox keys, 7-day 100% XP boost, mirrored shades

Character at level 50–59

- 10 strongbox keys, 7-day 100% XP boost, mirrored shades, Sleipnir mount (permanent, character-based)

Character at level 60

- 10 strongbox keys, 7-day 100% reputation boost, mirrored shades, EX-TRM mount (permanent, character-based), 1 extra character slot

Top Bottom