• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Hello, this question might be on the stupid side,
but how do you bring back a shortcut tray that has disappeared?
I can't seem to find it in any UI option.

edit: I think there was no way other than resetting my UI positions... fml

Izayoi

Banned
Hardly anybody does Secret Base at level 22 anymore though because they made it story optional. Which sucks because for most first-timer low levels that means they won't actually have to learn their party roles until Sinestral Manor at 26 and you'll get your shit wrecked in that dungeon if your party doesn't have a clue how to play in a party. I feel sorry for the F2Plebs who had to queue with the BRs in SM, that must have been awful.
All of the alts that I've brought up so far have had no trouble queuing into the first three instances in the game. I even see groups of people standing around outside them. Most of the low level dungeons aren't all that challenging anymore though, as many people know them and/or are gear carried through them.

When can we get the maid outfits and emotes?
Probably in a few months.

Hello, this question might be on the stupid side,
but how do you bring back a shortcut tray that has disappeared?
I can't seem to find it in any UI option.

edit: I think there was no way other than resetting my UI positions... fml
There's some little red boxes next to your main shortcut tray, one of them should open the second tray back up. I can't remember exactly which off the top of my head, maybe the one with the "+"?

There's some little red boxes next to your main shortcut tray, one of them should open the second tray back up. I can't remember exactly which off the top of my head, maybe the one with the "+"?

Yeah, but my entire shortcut tray was missing, so I couldn't even try the small boxes :(

Btw, I got a good look at the beast.
QRmwRSs.jpg

Does Windows 8 cause frame drops for sure? my friend was telling me about it, and since I'm getting about 30 FPS on my new computer it may be true.

Katoki

There's a secret base instance at 22? Only ones I know of are BoL then SM.

Because I'm sitting there healing Manor and people're complaining about heals when they're sitting in front of the boss eating everything. Dodges are only to look cool.

NeOak

There's a secret base instance at 22? Only ones I know of are BoL then SM.

Because I'm sitting there healing Manor and people're complaining about heals when they're sitting in front of the boss eating everything. Dodges are only to look cool.

BoL is the secret base.

Izayoi

Banned
The unfortunate side effect of the game being F2P. You'll see less of that the closer you get to endgame, as bosses start hitting a lot harder and in some cases will one-shot. Most people wise up a bit. Don't be afraid to talk back a bit, as healer you have a lot more authority than the DPS. Shitty tanks however, especially those who are used to the passive mitigation tanking common in most other modern MMOs, are another story altogether. You're probably going to want to find a guild or a friend that can supply decent tanks, queuing into endgame stuff and ending up with a tank that's garbage is a huge pain.

mileS

If I buy the Book weapon skin for the sorcerer from the item store, can I trade it to a friend? I think it says bind on pick-up but I still have no idea if its tradeable. Any help and that would be great.

Izayoi

Banned
If I buy the Book weapon skin for the sorcerer from the item store, can I trade it to a friend? I think it says bind on pick-up but I still have no idea if its tradeable. Any help and that would be great.
As long as you buy the permanent character version. Rentals and account-wide permanent items can not be traded or sold.

Tiops

Started playing the game a couple of weeks ago. Tried a few classes, and finally decided to play a priest, as it is really fun to help parties on quests. I'm still at level 24.

My God, warriors/slayers are stupid. They just rush into the enemies, thinking the healer has infinite MP. I still didn't got any complaint about my healing, but still... it's really frustrating when they do that. Other than that, I'm enjoying being the support of parties.

Izayoi

Banned
My God, warriors/slayers are stupid. They just rush into the enemies, thinking the healer has infinite MP. I still didn't got any complaint about my healing, but still... it's really frustrating when they do that. Other than that, I'm enjoying being the support of parties.
Make sure you find some good people to play with if you're going to stick with a healer. It's a thankless enough job as it is, especially in this game where people don't realize how difficult it can be to keep everyone topped off.

Izayoi

Banned
I actually have issues trying to not gain agro over running out of mp.
Either you're overhealing or the tank is not managing his threat properly. If everyone is doing what they should be, the healer will never have aggro in TERA (except on freshly spawned adds, and even those can be picked up with one taunt from the tank).

Big heals draw big threat, and you should never be in a situation where you're spamming them (assuming your group is competent).

At most you'll be targeted by secondary aggro attacks or temporary threat wipes (these are sometimes noted with a purple circle at your feet).

Katoki

It's mostly because everyone's getting hit. It is only the second instance people get thrown into. I could tell how new the group was early in but that's life. Oh, we also had no tank. It was a slayer, a berserker and myself at that point I think.

Izayoi

Banned
It's mostly because everyone's getting hit. It is only the second instance people get thrown into. I could tell how new the group was early in but that's life. Oh, we also had no tank. It was a slayer, a berserker and myself at that point I think.
Ah, yeah, early on the tanks have less tools to generate threat and generally speaking the DPS is probably not going to be familiar with boss tells and active damage mitigation in general. It will get better the higher you get.

This is actually the first MMO I've ever played where I thought tanking was actually fun. Who knows, maybe if I had played a Lancer at launch I would have stuck with this game considering how eternally OP they have always been.

Izayoi

Banned
There's almost nothing a Lancer can't solo. MCNM is an extreme case but Lancers can solo KNNM and keep all the MES to themselves for instance.
Although KNNM for Lancers isn't quite as efficient as Zerk or Warrior doing ETNM. I don't know how long it takes for a Lancer to solo MCNM, so I can't comment on that.

NeOak

Although KNNM for Lancers isn't quite as efficient as Zerk or Warrior doing ETNM. I don't know how long it takes for a Lancer to solo MCNM, so I can't comment on that.

KN NM is about 13-15 mins solo, can be down to 8-9 mins with a priest.

The MC NM i was told lasted 2 hours.

I got my Alloyed Chestplate masterworked and with the leftover scrolls I managed to roll double HP restoration on the body and extra PVP damage on the Axe. It's made quite a difference so far. I'm closing the gap on getting the Conjunct gloves, so that leaves only one more piece to go and then I can work on upgrading my jewelry and giving Champion's Skyring a shot. I would like to start focusing more on PVE as well.

We had a string of great BGs yesterday with the guild. Probably won about 8/9 matches and got the achievement for winning 5 consecutive matches. We brought our guild's newly minted level 60 Lancer, Mr.Fuzzyface along with Silfer (SmallWind) and Alora (androidcandy). There was one insane BG against a JFW premade in which both teams fought fiercely over the central control point for nearly the entire duration of the match. Their team was much stronger than ours overall but we managed to keep them at bay somehow (great heals). That was one of the most epic and hilarious Battleground battles I have ever participated in.

The TERA Union update page for the Korean version is up:

http://tera.hangame.com/union.nhn

It looks like the new Federation PVP gear will be relatively easy to obtain and fall between Fraywind and Conjunct as a sort of stop-gap similar to the faction PVE gear that you get from Jax Trust and Unified Theory. The Federation gear has lower stats than the Fraywind but can actually be Masterworked. Once Masterworked, the Federation set will probably be slightly better than Fraywind. It's still weaker than Conjunct and in order to make Conjunct you will still need to acquire Fraywind so it sounds like a good trade off. The new jewelry on the other hand looks to be much better than what you can get with Bellicarium or in PVE so there seems to be enough incentive for both new players and veterans to participate.

Also, the Power-Level for Prizes event has been updated:

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/power-level-for-prizes

You no longer have to create a new account to participate in the event. Prizes have been updated and will now be awarded to everyone's highest level character at the end of the event. What is unclear is whether existing level 60 players will get the Slepnir mount or not as it is currently only listed in the level 50-59 tier.

JFW aren't exactly geared or anything but yay I guess.

I suppose I should log in at least once in the next 2 weeks so I can get 10 free semi-enig scrolls. Congratulations to EME for taking what could have been a fun event and making it pointless for people who already have a 60 character.

Izayoi

Banned
Downed Queen a couple times today. Hopefully start working on hardmode tomorrow.

And yay, finally~

axe0vk8c.png

Now I just need to roll 3% on it and it'll be done.

Rinoa

Make sure you find some good people to play with if you're going to stick with a healer. It's a thankless enough job as it is, especially in this game where people don't realize how difficult it can be to keep everyone topped off.

I noticed since it went F2P my Priest had an extremely hard time keeping people (especially the tank) topped off, and I thought it was just me... but months ago on the same instances and same levels I had zero problems keeping people full. I don't like having people walking around with not-full bars.

RK9039

I recently started playing again, stopped back in June. So I've heard the Slayer is like the worst class in PvP right now along with the Zerker (which was a bit underpowered when I last played this game), can anyone confirm how true this is?

My main is a level 55 Slayer that's why... But luckily I also have a level 52 Lancer.

NeOak

I recently started playing again, stopped back in June. So I've heard the Slayer is like the worst class in PvP right now along with the Zerker (which was a bit underpowered when I last played this game), can anyone confirm how true this is?

My main is a level 55 Slayer that's why... But luckily I also have a level 52 Lancer.

Slayer is good against 1 target. Lancer is just... OP leash, sorc/archer nukes... leash again...

RK9039

Ah, I thought so. I still enjoy playing the Slayer, although my Lancer seems to do some insane damage for no reason, it got buffed did it?

jdavid459

Does TERA stop getting grindy at some point? I'm only on the first island and I love everything about the game besides the actual quests. Really repetitious and it seems like it'll take forever to hit max level. Combat is awesome though...

NeOak

Does TERA stop getting grindy at some point? I'm only on the first island and I love everything about the game besides the actual quests. Really repetitious and it seems like it'll take forever to hit max level. Combat is awesome though...

The quests are an excuse to kill. Its korean grind however at end game. NOT that bad like it used to be, but some things are just RNG.

Ah, I thought so. I still enjoy playing the Slayer, although my Lancer seems to do some insane damage for no reason, it got buffed did it?

Yup, Wallop hurts. Also:

Izayoi

Banned
Tank classes are crazy powerful right now, and if you're planning on PvPing, the Lancer would probably be your best bet.

The game is design completely around its combat. Like NeOak said, the quests are only there to nudge you out of town. There are instances to do while leveling up, lots of pretty things to look at, and some great overworld dungeons, but the quests are going to remain straightforward the entire time.

Zomg finally got a copy for $20 from gamestop, their last one. Yay toon slots mount and bank space :D Anyone have any tips for priests? I'm at 22 and my killing speed is finally getting slow.

Lol, that is hilarious. Especially the Mystic one.

I guess I'll start focusing on the Lancer for a little while.

It's a little outdated now. Warrior can now literally keep you unable to move from 100% to 0 HP now. It takes them awhile to do it solo though, so if someone else on your team shows up during your stun and stagger lock you can survive.

Shito

NeOak said:
I think this clearly shows how PvP is
This echoes my feelings about the PvP quite well.
Started doing BGs some 2 weeks ago, and as a zerker the learning curve is STEEP. I can only start to shine when in the middle of a big fight, everything else is at my disadvantage. One on ones are a guaranteed loss each and everytime, even against someone with the same gear as me.
It's a bit disheartening, almost makes me want to level up an archer just to dominate everyone else easily; even though for me melee classes are where the game's combat mechanisms really shine.

Really repetitious and it seems like it'll take forever to hit max level.
Getting to max level is really quick in this game: story quests give A TON of XP, and some really good gear. It took me a month of casual play to get my main to 60. Someone more dedicated than me could easily do it in 2 weeks. And someone crazy enough can achieve the same thing in just a week, or less.
After that, though, getting some really good gear takes FOREVER.

The Nexus changes sound really good and you get a ton of credits now with a lot less time and effort. Removal of the HP debuff is a godsend.

Hopefully it isn't too hard to coordinate a group to an open node. I'm still not sure why they didn't just let raid leaders accept the quest for everyone in the group. Also, there could be some potential confusion caused by people completing NT and then going to other open Nodes to do more Nexus quests since these people will not be able to do NT a second time. It could mess up other raid groups that they join which are preparing to enter NT afterwards.

The emotes linked to custom text commands sounds interesting (/laugh for "lol" kind of thing maybe).

Also, I guess the pet UI means a real pet system is coming soon.

Slayer is one of the most balanced classes right now but in comparison to how strong and unbalanced the other DPS classes are in PVP and to some degree due to the layout of the map (choke points), they are probably at the bottom along with Berserkers. Good Slayers and Berserkers will still score consistently high numbers but any player on another class that is equally geared and skilled could probably do better. It is my understanding that Berserkers are pretty much useless in Champion's Skyring against compositions of Warriors and Lancers. Well, this seems to be the case for pretty much every class at this point but I think Berserkers are even more useless due to their lack of speed, mobility, and useful interrupts.

Don't roll Berserker if your focus is on PVP unless you really love the class and can deal with the shortcomings. It will be challenging and possibly very frustrating. Berserkers are MUCH stronger than they used to be since the recent patches but they still need some work. PVE damage output is now comparable and possibly better than Sorcerers but they are still lacking in the PVP arena.

That said, I do not regret rolling Berserker and always have a great time in PVP conflicts (when not tossed on a shitty team or staggered and stunlocked from 100 to 0 HP by Warriors).

My advice is to level your Lancer over the Slayer if you enjoy both classes equally. Easy to find groups for dungeons and near invincible in PVP once geared.

This echoes my feelings about the PvP quite well.
Started doing BGs some 2 weeks ago, and as a zerker the learning curve is STEEP. I can only start to shine when in the middle of a big fight, everything else is at my disadvantage. One on ones are a guaranteed loss each and everytime, even against someone with the same gear as me.
It's a bit disheartening, almost makes me want to level up an archer just to dominate everyone else easily; even though for me melee classes are where the game's combat mechanisms really shine.

Getting to max level is really quick in this game: story quests give A TON of XP, and some really good gear. It took me a month of casual play to get my main to 60. Someone more dedicated than me could easily do it in 2 weeks. And someone crazy enough can achieve the same thing in just a week, or less.
After that, though, getting some really good gear takes FOREVER.

The learning curve is steep but extremely rewarding. It's probably the hardest DPS class to play in a PVP environment. To be successful in PVP takes a lot of skill, acuity, and awareness. It takes a lot of effort and not just in practice and execution. You will need a lot of master glyphs and good gear to stay competitive. It also helps to have a good team of players or friends that you can communicate with and back each other up.

It's extremely easy to level to 60 in this game but it can seem to take a while from 55-60 due to increase in monster difficulty and HP pools. This could get especially frustrating if you're playing solo or a low DPS output class like a Priest or Mystic. I'm not sure what the expectation is for leveling but it really doesn't take that long. It can be a bit mind numbing I guess because of how linear and boring the quests are.

From 1-42 I would focus on story quests, BAM quests, and running dungeons. You can safely skip most of the yellow quests and level off of dungeons while obtaining good gear for your level in the process. You get a ton of EXP from running dungeons at those levels.

After CR or possibly SA, you will need to focus on story quests and BAM quests. The later dungeons just don't provide enough experience to solely depend on them for leveling efficiently. You will need groups for most of the higher level BAM quests if you want to level efficiently.

I know I've said this numerous times in this thread but I've been too busy with school work for practically the first month of the game's free to play transition.

Is it too late to find a retail copy of the game either online or somewhere that can ship to Canada?

NeOak

So now that I have all the character slots unlocked I want to try out all the classes. Does the race matter much if at all end game?

Only for hitboxes. Elin has the smallest while Baraka has the largest.

They supposedly fixed that, but someone tested it like 3 months ago and they are still like that.

Paprikka

This chance at 1000 extensive alkahest event already has people going crazy over keys. Keys are over 500g and sell almost instantly. It seems every 15 seconds another notice pops up in chat that someone got it. I saw one person say they got 7 so far and I personally saw 3 of those.

I tried a bunch of keys myself but just got a few of the hats. It's probably better to just sell all your keys and then buy a bunch of extensive alkahest at the end of the event.

cilonen

Patch is out. This one is the big Nexus change...

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/patch-notes/patch-190403

Nexus Quests

Ten minutes before the nexus opens up, four NPC questgivers spawn at each nexus location on the map.
The first nexus quest is no longer automatically assigned upon entering the area. Individual players must now pick up nexus quests from one of the NPC questgivers manually. (The raid leader can’t do this for the raid.)
Subsequent-stage quests appear automatically.
Only 120 players can work on the quest per nexus location. So gather up 119 of your closest friends!
If you leave the nexus area, the quest automatically cancels.
If quests are no longer available, players can choose to participate and attack the monsters in the nexus, but will not get any rewards nor the Nexus Call buff (ability to enter the Nexus Traverse).
The actual quest objectives remain the same: finish each stage of the nexus.
If quests are still available, players can arrive at a nexus during the second or third stage and get the quest from an NPC—the progression is the same. We all know that one person who’s always late.

Inside the Nexus

Monsters in the nexus no longer drop reputation motes. Their reputation is bad enough.
Quest rewards for nexus changed to the following:
First stage: 50 Agnitor credits, 100 Agnitor xp, 10 gold
Second stage: 100 Agnitor credits, 200 Agnitor xp, 25 gold
Third stage: 150 Agnitor credits, 300 Agnitor xp, 40 gold
Players only need one Nexus Call buff to enter the Nexus Traverse (down from a stack of two). Because math is hard.
Nexus buffs no longer drain HP in addition to their main beneficial or detrimental effect. Now fewer healers will log off exactly at 7 p.m.
Stage three nexus BAMs have significantly reduced HP.

Nexus Markers on the Map

Colors of the markers on the maps show how populated a nexus is based on quests taken.
blue nexus symbol: more than 50 percent of nexus quests remain
yellow nexus symbol: between 30 and 49 percent of nexus quests remain
red nexus symbol: between 1 and 29 percent of nexus quests remain
lock icon: displays when no more nexus quests are available
The tooltip displays an exact number of taken quests. The tooltip still notes the current phase of the nexus. You’ll need to do math to know exactly how many quests are left.

Nexus Traverse

There are no longer different instances for each zone. Any of the traverse portals take players to the same traverse.
Nexus Traverse quest rewards have increased.
200 gold
4600 Agnitor reputation
1400 Agnitor credits

If you close a nexus and complete the Nexus Traverse, you can close another nexus and benefit from its quests, if they’re still available. You will not be able to complete another Nexus Traverse, however.

Nexus Times have changed. All times Pacific.

Saturday, Sunday—2 a.m., noon, 7 p.m.
Monday, Friday—noon, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday—6 p.m.

We also get emotes, it looks like, although I cant check as my update install is stuck at 89%. It's been two days of solid downloading and installing updates on my PC @.@

Top Bottom