• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Kareha

God damn I wish I knew about the GAF guild before I got to 30 on another realm =\

Isn't transferring free atm?

I started playing again but on the EU Fraya realm as I'm playing with someone from my WoW raiding days. Not doing anything of much, just levelling and doing Nexus, but may look to join a guild at some point if the urge to get some high level instancing done.

Going to install the US client though as can't remember what state I left my chars on there at.

Check and see if you can transfer now. There may be some restrictions on Mount Tyrannas because of the high population numbers. If you can't transfer now, I'm pretty sure you will be able to transfer once you get to level 40 (a requirement they added). It's free to transfer.

Aw the transfer service is garbage
"Character currently carries over the gold limit
Source server is not able to be transferred from at this time"

Can't leave Lake of Tears.. also gold limit? I barely have 100 gold lol.

Moaradin

If transferring is free, then I guess I'll transfer over to the GAF server.

Game is very fun. I encountered my first BAM today, and it didn't go well.

omlet

OK thanks...but is this like a Monster Hunter game where you slay monsters to advance armour and weapons

Not in the sense of killing things to get body parts to craft new stuff out of. While leveling, quests will give you most of the gear you need and dungeons around level 21, 28, 40, and, uh... a few more on the way to 60 will have bosses that drop random armor and weapon loot. At level cap, advancing armor and weapons largely consists of running dungeons to get gear then spending large sums of money on enchanting it to make it better. Or just buying your gear, since the best PvE gear is BoE you can buy/sell it without ever actually learning how to do the dungeon it's from if you prefer.

In the sense of the primary draw of the game being
elins
the combat system and the best thing about the combat system being BAMs (or maybe PvP depending on who you ask?) and boss fights being generally fast and furious while still lasting several minutes and fighting them over and over being the main way to get drops, then yeah I guess?

Midou

Got a couple hours in and joined the guild, at first combat was confusing since I was trying to mash attack but then I figured it out. :p

It has a nice feel to it to be sure. A little disappointing you can't block and dodge with every class, but I can see where they were going with it. Also kind of miss being able to lock onto stuff and strafe around it. Feels solid overall though. I just don't get super addicted to MMOs, but I look forward to maxing eventually.

NeOak

Man, today has been an awful day.

I've been grumpy all day long, and 2 people seem to have been dropped from their static without warning and 1 was stolen into an static. Also, a friend has full VM gear and nothing else to do in the game so he's going to stop playing for a bit.

Doesn't help that someone stepped down from being an officer due to the one being stolen and I'm worried about one that was dropped from the static.

Never a dull day in this game. *sigh*

Styles

I've been grumpy all day long, and 2 people seem to have been dropped from their static without warning and 1 was stolen into an static. Also, a friend has full VM gear and nothing else to do in the game so he's going to stop playing for a bit.

Doesn't help that someone stepped down from being an officer due to the one being stolen and I'm worried about one that was dropped from the static.

Wow, that sounds like a mess. D: Haven't logged on today because I haven't found the time to, but when I do I will probably be on leveling my alt for the rest of the week.

TERA can be a roller coaster sometimes. Tuesday was pretty sad.

We gathered a large guild group for Nexus and NT, all decked out in our PVE gear, and just minutes before Nexus begins, everyone in our raid group starts randomly dying. I barely have time to react before I see a swarm of red arrows and then a resurrection prompt. The Nexus node that we were at was locked and it seems that a douchebag guild called Shatter decided to declare on us randomly in order to try and wipe us out and get the quest for their members. What those idiots didn't know is that you don't lose the quest when you die. Unfortunately, anyone that resurrected back to town lost the quest and was unable to do Nexus or NT. In a panic, I think several members ended up resurrecting. I resurrected back to try and concede the war so the rest of us could continue our Nexus uninterrupted but it seems the game makes you wait an hour before you can concede.

One of their officers whispered me the reason for the declaration and a sincere apology but it was still a pretty bitch move.

After Nexus we put a hunting party together to try and get some revenge on Shatter but it was mostly a failure. These scumbags would run into safe zones as quickly as possible and everyone that we found out in the open world, away from safe zones, kept getting summoned and disappeared or unstucked back to town. One Lancer in particular must have been dual boxing with a healer alt or had a healer in their PT. We found him on 3 different occasions and every single time he instantly vanished just before he was about to die.

He actually fell down the cliff side once and clipped through the side of the mountain. We were beating on him while he was stuck there but he eventually freed himself and fell down to the bottom. In a rush to try and finish him off, we all followed him down and with everyone at 1 HP, he managed to clip and kill one of our members before getting summoned out of the zone.

We caught a few more at the gate to Kanstria but some Nerd Rage outlaws decided to interfere and went after us while we were fighting. We killed the Nerd Rage but Shatter made it back to the safe zone with their tail between their legs.

After wasting a few hours on this, I just conceded the war because it was pointless. On the bright side, we did kill a ton of Asylum members. They are a notorious PK guild and right up there with some of the most hated guilds on the server. As a whole, their combined members have infinitely better gear than our combined members but we still managed to wipe them twice and kill some of their stragglers here and there. They did come back and revenge wipe us after the first time we wiped them but they had a couple more people than us.

A Focused Archer decided to try and randomly kill me at the Kanstria gate and when some guild members came out to help he called them all "shitty", I guess because he didn't get to kill me. Pretty much all my plans for Nexus, farming, and dungeons was shot so I did some BGs instead. I lost about 4-5 matches in a row on consistently shitty teams so I decided to just call it a night.

Yesterday was a good day but right at the end of the night after winning several consecutive BGs, we landed on a team with a really annoying player. He kept whispering me and calling our other members "bad". The score against the other team was actually really close despite our team's gear deficit. He had a couple more kills than I did but I had like 4 caps to his 0 and he had the balls to whisper me directly, "get a fucking clue kid", as I'm off alone, fighting someone off of one of our pyres. He was complaining about the rest of the team earlier. I usually don't respond to crap like this but it made me mad that he was trash talking the rest of our team, so I called him out on it. I just blocked him after the match and logged.

I love the game but this fucking community. My god. To be expected with F2P, I guess. Gotta' take the good with the bad.

Einbroch

Banned
Game is still freshly F2P. Eventually, the hope is that a community forms where people know other people and can avoid the terrible ones. It was like that in Ragnarok Online back in the day, hopefully it will be like that in TERA. Butt PK will be PK.

Oh, and I betrayed my Elin. Something about the Aman, man.

chualie

TERA can be a roller coaster sometimes. Tuesday was pretty sad.

We gathered a large guild group for Nexus and NT, all decked out in our PVE gear, and just minutes before Nexus begins, everyone in our raid group starts randomly dying. I barely have time to react before I see a swarm of red arrows and then a resurrection prompt. The Nexus node that we were at was locked and it seems that a douchebag guild called Shatter decided to declare on us randomly in order to try and wipe us out and get the quest for their members. What those idiots didn't know is that you don't lose the quest when you die. Unfortunately, anyone that resurrected back to town lost the quest and was unable to do Nexus or NT. In a panic, I think several members ended up resurrecting. I resurrected back to try and concede the war so the rest of us could continue our Nexus uninterrupted but it seems the game makes you wait an hour before you can concede.

I heard about this from fuzzy. I wish I was on, we would have won if I was there HAHA.

The community isn't as bad as I thought it would be with F2P. I was expecting a train wreck but with the level restrictions for global chat and so forth it helps the community aspect.

Izayoi

Banned
Don't play in statics, they only cause drama. That's what I've found over my many, many years of doing endgame content in MMOs. Many times experienced PUG groups are far better anyway - TERA makes this extra easy by letting you inspect someone and see how many successful clears they have of a particular instance. If you have friends who cleared it, get a group going with them, have them invite their friends, etc.

I've been able to do every single piece of endgame content in TERA without a static, and it's been sublime. No pressure to log in every day, no drama... it's great. Besides, with how easy MES farming is, it's not even like you need to do Queen in order to be rich. It's just there so you can get your Quills for your VM set.

Exactly why I rolled PvE right there. No regrets whatsoever.

No regrets here. PVE or PVP doesn't matter. There are assholes everywhere. Ever heard of people getting kicked from a dungeon because they were the wrong class, didn't have the right gear, or any other number of reasons? People talking trash in Battlegrounds? People making fun of someone for whatever reason? Training mobs on people to grief them? Stealing mobs? This is not exclusive to PVP servers. At least on PVP servers there are usually consequences for those actions.

Shatter definitely crossed the line but it was a failure in game design that empowered them to do so. Why allow GvG during Nexus? If you're going to allow this, why bother making the entire area a safe zone during the event then? Why do other safe zones work for GvG participants but not Nexus?

More mechanisms for abuse exist on PVP servers but it provides a much fuller experience. For example, Demons Souls and Dark Souls would feel like completely different games without the constant threat of invasion. I have really fond memories of all the epic battles I had in those games. The same goes for the server that I'm on. I have so many fond memories of the fun encounters, the epic battles, the PPKs, Lumbertown, my friends, the players, etc. I only wish that the developers made more competent choices regarding the PVP system.

NeOak

No regrets here. PVE or PVP doesn't matter. There are assholes everywhere. Ever heard of people getting kicked from a dungeon because they were the wrong class, didn't have the right gear, or any other number of reasons? People talking trash in Battlegrounds? People making fun of someone for whatever reason? Training mobs on people to grief them? Stealing mobs? This is not exclusive to PVP servers. At least on PVP servers there are usually consequences for those actions.

Shatter definitely crossed the line but it was a failure in game design that empowered them to do so. Why allow GvG during Nexus? If you're going to allow this, why bother making the entire area a safe zone during the event then? Why do other safe zones work for GvG participants but not Nexus?

More mechanisms for abuse exist on PVP servers but it provides a much fuller experience. For example, Demons Souls and Dark Souls would feel like completely different games without the constant threat of invasion. I have really fond memories of all the epic battles I had in those games. The same goes for the server that I'm on. I have so many fond memories of the fun encounters, the epic battles, the PPKs, Lumbertown, my friends, the players, etc. I only wish that the developers made more competent choices regarding the PVP system.

Should be fun with the federation update and the instanced areas.

"BUT YOU ARE MY FRIEND! STOP KILLING ME"

First month is gonna be drama hell because PvErs are not used to OWPVP without consent.

Westlo

Got myself a nice new beefy pc, was able to run TERa pretty well before but now I can afk smelt/scan auction house in WoW while playing TERA no problems more than likely.

Pretty big patch to download since I last played this, think I hit the mid 30s.... sigh I guess I'll have to make up new names... cool that I have 2750 EME points (bit over #20 worth) or whatever it is, dat founder status.

Swimsuits 50% off this weekend... nice...

Don't play in statics, they only cause drama. That's what I've found over my many, many years of doing endgame content in MMOs. Many times experienced PUG groups are far better anyway - TERA makes this extra easy by letting you inspect someone and see how many successful clears they have of a particular instance. If you have friends who cleared it, get a group going with them, have them invite their friends, etc.

I've been able to do every single piece of endgame content in TERA without a static, and it's been sublime. No pressure to log in every day, no drama... it's great. Besides, with how easy MES farming is, it's not even like you need to do Queen in order to be rich. It's just there so you can get your Quills for your VM set.

The Queen is the only thing left that I wanted to do though, and without a static it's really really hard (borderline impossible) to do Queen HM and clear it consistently. Which is why my character probably won't be logged in again until meido drops. There's nothing for me to DO in Tera until the next batch of content is patched in. I don't even care enough to grind the balanced PvP in BGs for my Conjunct set, because Bluehole made the same stupid mistake that NCSoft did and VM >> Conjunct for PvP. When the new content drops there will be T15 anyways and VM will go the way of Dreamkeeper.

Izayoi

Banned
When the new content drops there will be T15 anyways and VM will go the way of Dreamkeeper.
The new raids are T14, equivalent to the Regent set, and we won't be getting those for probably six months or so. VM will still be the best gear in the game for another year at least in the English version.

New K-Tera weapon skin

http://imgur.com/a/MBc7j#6

...wut
The best. I'm a fan of the bow and the lance in particular.

Cronox

Banned
I love the game but this fucking community. My god. To be expected with F2P, I guess. Gotta' take the good with the bad.

What I don't get is the "lol, so bad" kind of trash talk. It's such a nothing insult, so generic, the only reason to type it is to get people angry. And it works, the sheer flippancy of the insult gets to me... Recently I helped a guy who was being ganged up on by two red named people, they ran when I joined. But when the guy I helped started on the reds with the "lol, so bad, so bad" stuff I immediately felt bad for not letting nature take its course.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Hay dudes, just got this and installed a few days ago, joined Tempest Reach server and saw there is a GAF guild there, how do I app? (Can I?) It's blanked out right now.

Westlo

Haven't logged on since last June lol, lets see I have...

30 Slayer kept name
32 Warrior kept name
20 Priest need to rename

dispensergoinup

Gold Member

Rimshot

I started on Sunday, and am half way to 27 now. I must say I've been enjoying this game quite a bit so far. The only thing I feel like bitching about right now is the people... You get a lot of group quests, but not a lot of people like grouping up and doing them. So can be a lot of down time if you are set on completing the quests in the area like I am :)

Easter event starts tomorrow:

Caiman egg thieves are dropping bronze, silver, and golden eggs in the world of TERA from Thursday, March 28 at 11:00 a.m. PDT through Monday, April 1 at 1:00 p.m. PDT. Find a caiman in the world and defeat it to get your special Easter egg! Eggs contain a variety of goodies like scrolls, masterwork alkahests, and even strongbox keys.

Even better, each day you’ll automatically get a trio of bronze, silver, and golden eggs—just for logging in! You can only get one trio of eggs per account, but you can gather more by seeking out the egg thieves.

how is the world for TERA.. Is the world itself immersive? I understand the quests are fedex, but I am wondering if it's a better and more detailed world than say Warhammer or Conan or Aion!?

NeOak

Counting down the days until MEIDO. In the meantime I'll just casually level my lancer.

Keep Pushing!

Also, LOL at this RNG: (check the Enchantment correction)

PPLugSS.jpg

omlet

Don't know how you only got second, the winner's video is terrible.

It really is, I couldn't even finish it because of all that VOIP chatter overlay.

Also, ouch, I'm no stranger to 20+ tries for enchanting but 20+ correction factor, that is harsh! That must be like 80-something failures...

Top Bottom