• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Izayoi

Banned
Yup. Instant queue times vs. hours for everyone else give them too much power. I've stopped trying to queue at cap and just run guild groups.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's Warriors.

Go ahead and queue as a tank with a warrior.

That's the point I was making. As a Lancer, I dislike the reputation we are already getting. I try and be super friendly and engaging with my randoms. I actually get bothered when some of them don't respond to, "Let me know when you're all ready!"

Wanchan

There's Warriors.

I'm playing a 60 lancer on EU (playing Ktera too), but i'm almost sure you can only queue as DPS with a warrior.

Biggest problem is not really lancer being the only tank class no, biggest problem is 90% of players picking DPS class then whine about having to wait in queue cause there's no tank (maybe cause they lvl way faster than us tank...?)

mileS

That's not saying much when playing zerker is playing Tera in Hardmode and playing slayer is playing Tera in faceroll Easymode.

I find it hilarious that people honestly think slayer is a faceroll and zerker takes soooo much more skill. If you're talking about leveling? sure slayer is pretty darn faceroll once you get your chains down and the overhand strike glyph. Instance bosses or BAM's? Please play a slayer before you say its easy mode because its not. I'm not saying its harder, but one person says it and everyone just magically agrees it must be true. DPS warriors have it much easier. Nobody talks about that though.

Tess3ract

Banned
Zerkers are hard mode because they're pretty fucking immobile and they rely on overcharged attacks and for mobs to not move

slayers can do fine with things moving around

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I find it hilarious that people honestly think slayer is a faceroll and zerker takes soooo much more skill. If you're talking about leveling? sure slayer is pretty darn faceroll once you get your chains down and the overhand strike glyph. Instance bosses or BAM's? Please play a slayer before you say its easy mode because its not. I'm not saying its harder, but one person says it and everyone just magically agrees it must be true. DPS warriors have it much easier. Nobody talks about that though.

Because it is still faceroll compared to a zerker

mileS

Slayers still have about 80% of the biggest attacks that have a 1-1.8 second start up cast. If the boss is moving, you will probably miss.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Slayers still have about 80% of the biggest attacks that have a 1-1.8 second start up cast. If the boss is moving, you will probably miss.

Still face roll. I'm sorry YOU are having a hard time with it. But that doesn't make it a challenge or hard.

Tess3ract

Banned
Only 1-2 second start up cast? hahahahaha

If you aren't thinking at least 5 seconds ahead of time with every attack, you aren't playing a berserker right

mileS

Still face roll. I'm sorry YOU are having a hard time with it. But that doesn't make it a challenge or hard.

lol at you automatically thinking i'm having a hard time because I said its not as complete face roll as some may think. Playing the slayer to the best of its ability is still a challenge. I'm sorry you can't understand that. Again I'm talking strictly BAM's and Instance boss fights.

Only 1-2 second start up cast? hahahahaha

If you aren't thinking at least 5 seconds ahead of time with every attack, you aren't playing a berserker right

Slayer also has to think ahead. But yea it doesn't really compare in that sense. My point is slayers aren't that great in moments where theres a lot of boss movement either. Then again we also have headlong rush and sprint. So I guess I should shut up lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lol at you automatically thinking i'm having a hard time because I said its not as complete face roll as some may think. Playing the slayer to the best of its ability is still a challenge. I'm sorry you can't understand that. Again I'm talking strictly BAM's and Instance boss fights.

Maybe soloing an instance or bam. But with a tank? hell no.

There are only 3 things in this game I consider even remotely challenging

Tanking as a warrior

Playing a Zerk and doing 100% of your possible dps

Playing a Mystic to 100% of the classes utility

Slayer also has to think ahead. But yea it doesn't really compare in that sense. My point is slayers aren't that great in moments where theres a lot of boss movement either.
You have a teleport that has a chance to cooldown on dodges. As well as a dash. Why would a boss moving around even remotely mean shit?

mileS

lol I put an edit on my post about 20seconds before you did. Yea you're right. I haven't got the backstab teleport skill yet. I'm sure that makes it pretty easy to get back in there.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ah fuck it. Ill take on the zerker challenge. Ive played some of the hadest dps roles in mmos before, i enjoy it.

Im in.

Wallach

Ah fuck it. Ill take on the zerker challenge. Ive played some of the hadest dps roles in mmos before, i enjoy it.

Im in.

Rules to doing 'Zerker DPS:

- Don't overcharge unless required to get into range of boss to release due to movement (overcharge is inefficient DPS time)

- Love Thunder Strike, if you don't like Thunder Strike you don't like 'Zerker (every other action you perform single target is this move)

- No crying before you hit lvl 32 and get Dash (man up and walk over there babby)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Rules to doing 'Zerker DPS:

- Don't overcharge unless required to get into range of boss to release due to movement (overcharge is inefficient DPS time)

- Love Thunder Strike, if you don't like Thunder Strike you don't like 'Zerker (every other action you perform single target is this move)

- No crying before you hit lvl 32 and get Dash (man up and walk over there babby)

thanks fren! any glyph tips?

Wallach

thanks fren! any glyph tips?

I'm still working that out myself. Obviously you'll want to glyph the shit out of Thunder Strike, and I like the CD for Triumphant glyphed as well as the glyph for block that returns 3% mana per block. Anything you block from a boss in a dungeon that hits you a ton of times (like blocking a trample movement or fire stream or something) will give you a shit ton of mana back.

DrBo42

I know I'm not the person you're referring to, but I have played a lancer and I think I can help. The simple answer to that question (and probably not the one you want) is that there really is no best time. In a situation like that no matter what you're doing, you're going to take some damage when you break your guard so unless you are lucky enough that the entire group has a recurring pattern you can exploit you are going to end up taking some damage. By being a lancer however, you should be able to absorb alot of the damage so as long as you remember to block a few times you should normally sruvive.

Just as a suggestion though, as a lancer there are only really 3 situations where you should be pulling a huge amount of mobs like that:

1) You're in a party, and therefore not the main damage dealer on the group of mobs you've pulled.

2) You're solo, but facing one or two mob groups with a leader.

3) You're solo, but facing one or two mob groups without a leader.

If you're doing this in any other situation you're not really playing to the lancer's strengths as they are absolutely horrible at doing any sort of aoe, and like you have realized, it becomes practically impossible to find a good time to drop block to attack. Which means you will end up taking alot of damage, and doing very little due to the way damage is spread out when hitting multiple mobs (you do less damage when your attack hits more than 1 target). My suggestion would be to limit your lures at most 2-3 mobs or mob groups while soloing so that blocking becomes more manageable and your damage doesn't drop to nothing so you can actually kill them.

The above being said, in the 3 situations outlined above there are a few things you can do.

1) If you're in a party and luring an entire area its probably best to just use your taunt to ensure you have aggro on the group, get into a good blocking position and let your other dps partymates kill the mobs. When you get shield counter at level 28 you can also use that while tanking as it will reduce the damage you take while using it, just try to make sure you don't do it while any of the mobs are using a particularly powerful attack. When you get iron will at level 36 it becomes even easier as you can use it to absorb all the damage you take for a short period of time and use a taunt or a few more attacks to generate more aggro. Also, using shield bash can give you a small bit of time to fit in a taunt and some damage for some more aggro if finishing the group is going to take a while. As you can see the general recurring theme for tanking a group of mobs for a party with a lancer is just to do just enough to hold aggro while minimizing the damage you take.

2) If you're facing mob groups with a leader while solo, focus on blocking the leaders' attacks as its minion's attacks will usually be negligible. You will take a little bit of damage from the minions (unless you're in an area that you're too low level for or undergeared), but it shouldn't be too much that you'll die.

3) If you're facing mob groups without a leader while solo each mob typically is equivalent to the other one so just aim to block the largest amount of them while watching for any power moves (red eye indicators) they may do. You're probably going to end up taking some damage, but just remember that you're a lancer, you are designed to be able to soak a few hits.

I hope that helped. Have fun with lancer!

Great post, thank you very much.

LimeD3 pretty much nailed it.

The way I run when grabbing packs is very similar. If I'm 1v1 or even 2v1 mobs, you only REALLY need to worry about their "red flash" moves. Those are the ones that will really stand out damage wise. Second Wind is there for a reason.

When you are facing more than one mob, focus fire one of them and Second Wind if need be. If my Second Wind is off CD, I'll cast it (assuming I need SOME health) simply to keep it in my rotation. You can always block strategically with multiple mobs. If it's a caster and a melee, Shield Counter stays up long enough to block both and still execute the chain.

For what it's worth, I never use shout unless I'm in an instance*. The mob is dead too fast to make it worth it imho.

Worth noting...In CR (level 35+ instance), when I pull groups with minions, I pretty much ignore minion attacks EXCEPT when Shield Counter is up. When I have the chance to Shield Counter and the main mob is nearby, I'll take advantage of the slew of minion attacks to trigger it.

E: *If you are duo or party questing, I ALWAYS shout. It gets the mobs attention focused on me for a few seconds. Mobs are usually dead too fast for any attacks to hit the other party members at that point.

I know other Lancer's would argue this, but Lancer is not a solo class. Sure, we can kill BAM's and quest fine, but we shine SO bright in a group (even a duo Lancer group). The class is MADE to party up. That being said, I solo quest all the time. But when I've been in a group quest party, I've asked if anyone can help me kill a few mobs quick for a quest. I've finished a "Kill 10 of xxx" quest in no more than 3 minutes with a group. You can level like a CHAMP with a party, so keep that in mind.

Also very helpful, thank you.

Keasar

Is there any organised PVP in the game? Or just the open world ganking on PVP servers?

If yes, do you have to grind up to max level in order to compete properly or does the game level boost you/loans you gear?

PewPewK

Is there any organised PVP in the game? Or just the open world ganking on PVP servers?

If yes, do you have to grind up to max level in order to compete properly or does the game level boost you/loans you gear?

The games has battlegrounds, but they're not yet implemented in NA.

Tess3ract

Banned

Im in.
With the right gems, I went from doing 50k, to 112k top end crits to a bam 3 levels lower than me, lmao

That was pretty nice doing 13% of the bam's hp with my lancer buddy

he was like wtf and i was maniacally laughing at 5am

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Safe Haven Scrolls...I know they're completely random, but is there a "better" place to farm them rather than "You may get one while you quest"? I'm running low.

pfkas

Soloed a couple of basilisks with my Priest. Took me about 10 minutes each but I did it. :) Much quicker in a group mind you.

Desaan

With the right gems, I went from doing 50k, to 112k top end crits to a bam 3 levels lower than me, lmao

That was pretty nice doing 13% of the bam's hp with my lancer buddy

he was like wtf and i was maniacally laughing at 5am

That damage would of been 20% higher with the warrior endurance debuff. Also, alchemy is the win with crafting the crit damage scrolls, level 41 ones are an extra 1.1 modifier. Attack from behind crystals with more damage on enraged bosses with boss damage crystals and it starts to get scary.

So I just got in the game!

And... I'm stunned at how much the Elin bother me. I find it extraordinarily vulgar that the developers put something in the game that is so obviously pedo-material and child fetishism. It's revolting.

I don't know about you folks but I wouldn't be okay with having Elin players in a guild I ran. I don't think it's appropriate and I don't want them to be representative of me.

Thank god the Popori are there to make everything okay.

Edit: To make my statement a little less generalizing.

2San

And... I'm stunned at how much the Elin bother me. I find it extraordinarily vulgar that the developers put something in the game that is so obviously pedo-material and child fetishism. It's revolting.

I don't know about you folks but I wouldn't be okay with having Elin players in a guild I ran. Not the sort of people I want to associate with.
My guildleader actually wanted to play Elin, because he thought they where cute. He decided against it since he play a lancer and the small Elin hitbox doesn't help in certain case. Not everyone has wicked thoughts concerning the Elin. I'm neutral to the whole thing, having great fun with my female castanic/human characters. Always a surprise how sexy things can get. xD
i can only do 5 jaunts before a cooldown. almost there!
What happens at 6?
T7qaH.gif

jiien

I don't know about you folks but I wouldn't be okay with having Elin players in a guild I ran. Not the sort of people I want to associate with.

Are you joking? I can't tell.

Yeah, I wonder what Sigmund Freud would say about Elin players... and about you. Supposedly, being bothered by it is the opposite side of the same pervo coin, but I don't know, I'm not a psychologist.

I'm totally indifferent on them, but Serena has the coolest Elin in town. Damn, I haven't played in days, I miss you guys.

Rulza

Neo Member

I think the developers are pretty smart since they've effectively covered all bases with the different races. A MMO can somewhat be a reflection of the real world in the sense that you can distance yourself from certain types of people if you wish to.

Yeah, I wonder what Sigmund Freud would say about Elin players... and about you. Supposedly, being bothered by it is the opposite side of the same pervo coin, but I don't know, I'm not a psychologist.

I'm totally indifferent on them, but Serena has the coolest Elin in town. Damn, I haven't played in days, I miss you guys.

Yeah I get the other side of the coin thing, thanks so much. What I'm saying is that the Elin are presented as hyper-sexualized children--"Toddlers in Tiaras" on steroids.

My qualm with the Elin is not because they stir strange and hateful feelings in my loins, my qualm with them is that the developers put them in the game and I don't think that's okay. It's a shame, too, because their background story is pretty interesting.

Top Bottom