• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

vaelic

Banned
I just made my character yesterday. I'm level 17. don't kick me from the guild because I'm not 20, i'll be there tonight!

hurry! ;)
KuGsj.gif

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How do you tell? I've only done one dungeon and that was in OBT, but I've never seen any sort of DPS meter in this game. I am genuinely curious how you judge player skill in a party.

I really don't think that there's any good way outside of "feel". Having played with what I feel are both a good Slayer and a good Berserker, I would agree that a good zerk has higher damage potential than a good Slayer. But like many things, YMMV.

2San

I really don't think that there's any good way outside of "feel". Having played with what I feel are both a good Slayer and a good Berserker, I would agree that a good zerk has higher damage potential than a good Slayer. But like many things, YMMV.
I thought the general consensus, was that the Berserker had the better DPS(at least PvE wise), but this highly depended on what type of mob you are fighting. Especially at the 58+ dungeons things seems to favor the Slayer.

Wallach

I thought the general consensus, was that the Berserker had the better DPS(at least PvE wise), but this highly depended on what type of mob you are fighting. Especially at the 58+ dungeons things seems to favor the Slayer.

There's no way to eyeball the DPS of these two classes when one is based around charging, which is literally nothing but spike damage (periods of 2-4 seconds of zero damage between each strike). I have no idea what the consensus is regarding raw DPS numbers but I'd definitely like to see the data used to figure it out. My guess is nobody's bothered actually doing it and are just making shorthand assumptions from what is a more reasonable problem with the class.

No matter how hard either one of them hit, there's a definite mobility advantage in the Slayer. There's also the issue of block scaling for the Berzerker not being all that hot when it comes to hard modes, which just compounds the lack of mobility. Berzerker DPS is clearly harder to execute than Slayer for those factors alone in endgame PvE and I imagine this is what skews the perception.

Given that the second QoA patch is supposed to favor the Berzerker as far as DPS I imagine Blue Hole sees some discrepancy there.

2San

There's no way to eyeball the DPS of these two classes when one is based around charging, which is literally nothing but spike damage (periods of 2-4 seconds of zero damage between each strike). I have no idea what the consensus is regarding raw DPS numbers but I'd definitely like to see the data used to figure it out. My guess is nobody's bothered actually doing it and are just making shorthand assumptions from what is a more reasonable problem with the class.

No matter how hard either one of them hit, there's a definite mobility advantage in the Slayer. There's also the issue of block scaling for the Berzerker not being all that hot when it comes to hard modes, which just compounds the lack of mobility. Berzerker DPS is clearly harder to execute than Slayer for those factors alone in endgame PvE and I imagine this is what skews the perception.

Given that the second QoA patch is supposed to favor the Berzerker as far as DPS I imagine Blue Hole sees some discrepancy there.
I think that's the hardest part in actually getting raw DPS data. Since it's very depended on player skill and mob type. Without DPS trackers(which shouldn't be in the game imo), it's pretty hard to properly survey. So we're pretty much going on guess work here. Most people seem to make their judgment based on who pulls aggro the most though.

maybe it's just unfortunate timing, but i was just browsing the PIC HARDER thread, and your post's *drool* coincided with this post at that other thread.

On another note, zerkers :> ANECDATA TIEM.

Once we ran with an awesome zerker who had to drop out of an instance after 2 runs, and so everyone in the group wanted another zerker specifically to uphold the established dynamics, and the team leader shouted for one: "LFG DPS (Zerker preferred)."

And there was this reply that was like, "So good to know zerker is wanted." And you can feel the breath of relief from the player. It was kinda cute.

Izayoi

Banned
Even after you hit 60, I'd still recommend doing all of the high level quests for reputation. It's useful and you get to see tons of awesome stuff. I won't spoil anything with screenshots, but they really just went nuts on some of the Argon stuff. Tons of new BAMs and normal monsters that I had never seen before.

Also, any Zerks who get kicked from an instance by a greedy Lancer should definitely file a ticket with customer support. Same goes for Archers and Priests. Let EME know that there's something wrong with shitty people, and that they need to work on a solution.

Hardmode dps class
Pretty much.

How do you tell? I've only done one dungeon and that was in OBT, but I've never seen any sort of DPS meter in this game. I am genuinely curious how you judge player skill in a party.
Mostly hearsay from Koreans over my year or so playing the game.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member
I've been stuck at 51 for days. SO BORED

I really felt i would love the game and did the Year commitment to get the cheap discounted rate (compared to $15 a month). Upon further examining what Tera has for endgame, I realized I don't want this game on more than a monthly basis, but for some reason I can't cancel my year membership (that hasn't started yet). Everytime I agree to not auto-renew, nothing changes and I just loop back to the account screen where it says I have a year on Auto-renew.

Time to contact support and see what the deal is with this...

Universaldamps

Neo Member
I really felt i would love the game and did the Year commitment to get the cheap discounted rate (compared to $15 a month). Upon further examining what Tera has for endgame, I realized I don't want this game on more than a monthly basis, but for some reason I can't cancel my year membership (that hasn't started yet). Everytime I agree to not auto-renew, nothing changes and I just loop back to the account screen where it says I have a year on Auto-renew.

Time to contact support and see what the deal is with this...

It does the same thing for me. I didn't want to play for any longer than a month. I hit the cancel auto renew button and nothing seems to change. I did submit a ticket about 3 days ago now, yet still no response.

Izayoi

Banned
It does the same thing for me. I didn't want to play for any longer than a month. I hit the cancel auto renew button and nothing seems to change. I did submit a ticket about 3 days ago now, yet still no response.
Live chat. You won't be waiting for more than an hour tops.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member

After looking through support, it seems like it actually IS cancelled, but it won't update until the 30 active days is over... < detailing post here >

Kinda fishy, but as long as I dont get charged the $107 for it, i'll be fine.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tanked Necromancer Tomb tonight. SO fun. That was a fantastic instance, and the last boss is an excellent example of what makes TERA so unique and special.

Wallach

I see. Thanks.

I still can't decide if being wanted in parties is worth that lancer solo grind.

Really if you want to tank, you should roll a Lancer. I don't think it's really worth the extra work to tank on a Warrior if you are making the character to tank for groups. You'll not only be fighting the less friendly game mechanics but an overwhelming player base perception that Warriors aren't good tanks, not to mention you can't even queue as a tank with Warrior at the moment in the dungeon finder.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I see. Thanks.

I still can't decide if being wanted in parties is worth that lancer solo grind.

As a Lancer, I can tell you the grind isn't miserable, but it's not great. And Warriors can tank, but a meh warrior tank will wreck the group. You just have to be REALLY good at what you do!

Warrior wise, I haven't ran into much difficulty tanking for instances.

Usually Torrent of Blows to start, then taunt if it's a lot of minions or enemies outside of ToB range that got away somehow. Also Combative Strike + Traverse Cut for the debuff as much as possible.

And keeping the enemies back to my group for maximum damage. So far I have only tanked for Bastion of Lok and Sinestral Manor so I have no idea if it gets more difficult later on.

Also, I somehow always end up grabbing aggro from the lancer if he's in the group. This is without any aggression increasing crystals or glyphs or even using moves that specifically deal high amounts of threat. So I have no idea what's going on there.

Ken

Really if you want to tank, you should roll a Lancer. I don't think it's really worth the extra work to tank on a Warrior if you are making the character to tank for groups. You'll not only be fighting the less friendly game mechanics but an overwhelming player base perception that Warriors aren't good tanks, not to mention you can't even queue as a tank with Warrior at the moment in the dungeon finder.

As a Lancer, I can tell you the grind isn't miserable, but it's not great. And Warriors can tank, but a meh warrior tank will wreck the group. You just have to be REALLY good at what you do!

I kind of fell asleep playing as a lancer in the beta. I'm playing a slayer at the moment so I'd have to imagine switching to a lancer and the kill time difference would be really noticeable. Regardless, I'll try it anyways. Need that heavy armor.

Wallach

I kind of fell asleep playing as a lancer in the beta. I'm playing a slayer at the moment so I'd have to imagine switching to a lancer and the kill time difference would be really noticeable. Regardless, I'll try it anyways. Need that heavy armor.

Yeah, I don't blame you. Just trying to help you figure it out. Would be lame to get to 60 on a Warrior and not really get given the chance to tank if that's why you made the character. But by the time you hit 60 on the Warrior the QoA 2 patch might be out and the perception will shift to one more like the Priest/Mystic paradigm where they are both wanted. Who knows.

Hobs

Neo Member
Also, any Zerks who get kicked from an instance by a greedy Lancer should definitely file a ticket with customer support. Same goes for Archers and Priests. Let EME know that there's something wrong with shitty people, and that they need to work on a solution.

Even Priests get kick out of groups??

Wallach

Same here, it's not like priest are bad. It's just not as fast as mystic

Yeah, and even then there are times where a Priest saves someone from a mistake/lag that a Mystic couldn't quite do and the run actually saves some time. None of the healer differences time-wise compare to the time loss of a potential wipe and shit happens sometimes.

As far as Archers go I'm not even sure how they got a bad rep. 'Zerkers I understand just because they're harder to hit par with in a lot of boss fights, but Archers have great single target damage and I don't think they really have mobility issues.

Top Bottom