• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Ken

So I asked this in the guild chat but what's the minimum level I should go into CR as a lancer? I'm getting bored of soloing quests so I really want to level up to 40 off of CR. Currently level 35 in Popolion so I still have a bunch of quests in Tulufan to do, but I've only gotten this far thanks to random groups helping me quest the entire time.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
iX1KqEFbVlHcP.png

Finally finished grinding Valsekyr rep!

Tess3ract

Banned
So far so good. Situational skills. That keeps it fresh. How approachable is it solo? I have such a lame busy schedule that I'm never able to really say, hey, I'll be on at 8, let's party up and tackle xyz. That's SWtoR's biggest advantage over any other MMO at this point. I can play alone on my own time and not be gimped
Other than the fact this is an mmo, you can do lots of things solo. There's even achievements for killing BAM (big ass monsters, which are like elites) solo.

There's a cross server LFG used to tackle instances which I wish SWTOR had because it was such a pain to get groups for instances together in that unless you were at max level.

Sblargh

Banned
I did SM for the first time as a priest and man, it can get tough to heal in this game when everyone starts take damage and everyone is far apart, you just can't heal everybody, you gotta do a circle there, a target heal on the other and then walk up and do the close heal to another one.
Of course, you can't blame anyone because everyone is circling around and the boss decides to do an AoE that hits everything, but holy shit, it's panic time when you see all those healths down and you there's no obvious path that will heal everybody.

So, uh, priest can be a little lame leveling up and soloing, but it's an adrenaline injection when the party actually needs that healing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I did SM for the first time as a priest and man, it can get tough to heal in this game when everyone starts take damage and everyone is far apart, you just can't heal everybody, you gotta do a circle there, a target heal on the other and then walk up and do the close heal to another one.
Of course, you can't blame anyone because everyone is circling around and the boss decides to do an AoE that hits everything, but holy shit, it's panic time when you see all those healths down and you there's no obvious path that will heal everybody.

So, uh, priest can be a little lame leveling up and soloing, but it's an adrenaline injection when the party actually needs that healing.

No you can def blame everyone on this. Every class that would be at melee range has a dodge or block, zerkers get a dodge at 60 as well, although it's shit. If someone dies in this game it's rarely the healers fault. Unless said healer is leaving people near death for like a minute straight or something stupid like that.

No you can def blame everyone on this. Every class that would be at melee range has a dodge or block, zerkers get a dodge at 60 as well, although it's shit. If someone dies in this game it's rarely the healers fault. Unless said healer is leaving people near death for like a minute straight or something stupid like that.

Sounds like someone we know now on VoT. not naming names here.

Rinoa

It's fun but you'll never be as capable in a fight as you would with mouse+kb. I wanted very much for the pad to be the preferred method but it just isn't.

For me the pad is preferred and I'm more capable with it than keyboard/mouse. Could be that I'm a console gamer at the core though.

You know what Ill just tell you this. If you play this game other mmo's besides blade and soul in the future. Will all feel like they play like hot garbage afterwards.

This is true. I tried out Blade & Soul during the closed beta of TERA. It was so darn clunky and some of the gameplay feels like it was straight out of 2001. It also hurts to lack variety in character/outfits and even if the character story and cutscenes are better (Monty Oum style music-based-fighting) the actual combat will never flow as smoothly or feel as epic as in the cutscenes. Blade & Soul would have been amazing ten years ago but not today.

Rulza

Neo Member
You know what Ill just tell you this. If you play this game other mmo's besides blade and soul in the future. Will all feel like they play like hot garbage afterwards.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Blade & Soul. That game looks very similar to TERA which makes me wonder how they compare.

EDIT: Looks like Rinoa answered my question. A shame really as it looked very promising a few years ago.

KePoW

Banned
probably a bad idea to buy this game so close to Diablo 3. But still enjoying the game so far. Shouldn't have rolled a Priest though, kind of a lame class(at least early on)

Game looks sweet in Surround 5760x1080 though-

Cool screenshot, but your character name is terrible.

Tess3ract

Banned
i find if i die it's usually the healers fault second, tank's fault 3rd.

I've had tanks tank just fucking sitting there, spinning the boss around

I've had healers with full mana not heal me when I'm at like 30% or less hp for 20+ seconds, then wonder why I died.

it's generally always your fault first.

Like the ascent of savarosh or w/e the final boss has like a ton of mechanics at once, and it took me a couple deaths/wipes in order to figure out how best to approach him. After that, he's easy granted you don't get fucked over somehow

Rinoa

Oh man, I totally forgot about Blade & Soul. That game looks very similar to TERA which makes me wonder how they compare.

EDIT: Looks like Rinoa answered my question. A shame really as it looked very promising a few years ago.

It's pretty bad, there's one cool thing of it and that's 'flying' around dragonball style and gliding, and the flying nodes that let you sorta warp around with a pre-animated direction like the TERA pegasus but more stylish.

Yet even that is not enough to keep me entertained. There were a few nifty things here and there, like actually eating food items, but the amount of zoning alone will kill the experience within the first hour. You zone into each house, you zone into each area of a town, you zone and load mid-flight.

Doesn't help that Hyung Tae Kim is art director. He's best when under control, not in control. When someone is directing him, they tend to pump more variety and ingenious designs out of him. Otherwise, when he is left to do his own thang, you just just a lot of... samey thangs.

Visceir

and you are part of the problem. Tanks need the chest way more than any of the dps roles. If you are sucking ass and eating aoes all day like a failure the armor isnt gonna magically make you suck less

As for how to fix your mess up, dont you have a backstab type move? just use that really fast.

I'm guessing you haven't done the last boss of BT? It does this attack where it stands still and shoots laser beams everywhere and wherever the beams land they leave an area that deals damage. That's in the radius of pretty much 10 m around the boss, deals loads of damage too. Backstab would only land me right there in another circle that does dmg. That and there is a high chance my backstab is on cooldown since you want to use it whenever possible during a boss fight where you have to deal lods of dmg.

I'm sure it's possible but I've yet to see a warrior tanking BT or Fane, I usually use the dungeon finger method and the fact that warriors can't queue as tanks kinda nullifies your argument. Why I need the armor? For hard mode dungeons, duh....or pvp. Doesn't really matter why I need it, you thinking warriors should get the chestpiece is rather ridiculous tbh.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm guessing you haven't done the last boss of BT? It does this attack where it stands still and shoots laser beams everywhere and wherever the beams land they leave an area that deals damage. That's in the radius of pretty much 10 m around the boss, deals loads of damage too. Backstab would only land me right there in another circle that does dmg. That and there is a high chance my backstab is on cooldown since you want to use it whenever possible during a boss fight where you have to deal lods of dmg.

I'm sure it's possible but I've yet to see a warrior tanking BT or Fane, I usually use the dungeon finger method and the fact that warriors can't queue as tanks kinda nullifies your argument. Why I need the armor? For hard mode dungeons, duh....or pvp. Doesn't really matter why I need it, you thinking warriors should get the chestpiece is rather ridiculous tbh.

Tanking warriors, not a dps warrior. If the warrior is there dpsing it doesnt matter who gets it. If the warrior was there tanking. Why would you take it over him.

You got a sprint skill use that to get away then. I've done that a few times on my war. *spin camera around sprint, backstab back in*

Healing in TERA can be pretty adrenaline fuelling, indeed : D It's what really hooked me, tbh.

Still tossing up between a lancer and a zerker for my next class : > But boy, people's impressions on that end-game dungeon / boss / monster really gets me a little nervous now about being a healer ! Hope I wont let people down ...

I'm glad to see that many dps realise that it's not always the healer's fault though (or at least, GAF players). That's kinda reassuring : )

2San

I'm glad to see that many dps realise that it's not always the healer's fault though (or at least, GAF players). That's kinda reassuring : )
Heh, I always tell my guildies it's their fault if they die. This is Tera if someting is doin damage you move out the way! I'm just here to leech.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Third boss in Fane in not tankable by a Warrior (not without everyone having +12s). Last boss in BT is questionable.

no point tanking as a warrior anyways til the patch at least, thankfully they get a damn near guaranteed spots as dps. I was just stating examples of how loot is normally distributed between my friends. Even with pugs in our groups.

2San, what class do you play? I never have the nerve to tell people that it's their fault if they die... lol, scaredycat .___. Instead, I apologize profusely... drrrr

Wallach

2San, what class do you play? I never have the nerve to tell people that it's their fault if they die... lol, scaredycat .___. Instead, I apologize profusely... drrrr

Are you kidding that's the best part of being a healer in this game. On our guild run of SA our tank literally went AFK during a boss fight to answer the door for the pizza guy. Do I look like a tank? No? Not my fuckin' problem is it then jagoff, start dodging.

2San

Mystic, but I haven't really have had people complaining to me. More like me rubbing it in. "You sure you want to blame me? This game is skill based!" "I left you with 50% HP that's more than enough for a decent tank to work with", etc.
Are you kidding that's the best part of being a healer in this game. On our guild run of SA our tank literally went AFK during a boss fight to answer the door for the pizza guy. Do I look like a tank? No? Not my fuckin' problem is it then jagoff, start dodging.
Exactly. :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mystic, but I haven't really have had people complaining to me. More like me rubbing it in. "You sure you want to blame me?" "I left you with 50% HP that's more than enough for a decent tank to work with", etc.

Are you the guy that doesnt do shit that said poster above was talking about. Always top off the tank in case something goes wrong.

2San

Are you the guy that doesnt do shit that said poster above was talking about. Always top off the tank in case something goes wrong.
Don't think so, but this the first time healing has been this stress free. Haven't hit the higher level instances though(lvl 40 here). :eek: I dislike healing too much since it draws aggro. While I'm partly joking with how lax I am, but if a Tank(lancer) with 50%HP gets one-shotted, it's really not my fault(at least at this level).

Wallach, hahah, PIZZA tank LOL.... Yeah, I donno, I guess the mentality of healer's responsibility to keep everyone at at least 95% had been drilled hard into my mind by previous games? It's really hard for me to break away from feeling like I let people down when they got damaged / died.

But you're right, though, this is TERA. I should start shifting my mind set and expects that a GOOD dps knows at least how to dodge SOME attacks : )

2San, I havent had people blaming me either : D But I apologised anyway, when I think I've performed poorly, cuz stupid hardwired mindset (see above). I've had people commenting that I shouldnt be too bothered with keeping their HP almost max though, lol.

2San

Wallach, hahah, PIZZA tank LOL.... Yeah, I donno, I guess the mentality of healer's responsibility to keep everyone at at least 95% had been drilled hard into my mind by previous games? It's really hard for me to break away from feeling like I let people down when they got damaged / died.

But you're right, though, this is TERA. I should start shifting my mind set and expects that a GOOD dps knows at least how to dodge SOME attacks : )

2San, I havent had people blaming me either : D But I apologised anyway, when I think I've performed poorly, cuz stupid hardwired mindset (see above). I've had people commenting that I shouldnt be too bothered with keeping their HP almost max though, lol.
Yeah, nothing wrong with playing the game more lax, since the DPS really can handle themselves unless they are still learning the attack patterns.

Obviously stuff like this shouldn't be happening either:
I've had healers with full mana not heal me when I'm at like 30% or less hp for 20+ seconds, then wonder why I died.

Ahh do we have to say goodbye to tax free shopping? Or do the NPC's levy tax as well?

Effect

Nice. I picked up the game after work today and found out the copies at Best Buy comes with their own mount. The Blue Roan Mount.

Effect

Question. I had a beta account. When I add the retail code for the game do I click the "upgrade account" button or just the "enter code" button?

Sblargh

Banned
I don't know how it is as a Mystic, but as a Priest, if I try to keep everyone max in a boss fight, it's hard to tell what will happen first. Either the boss will super aggro on me or MP will run out, either way, I feel the game is trying to make it clear that I should heal "smart".
Not to say I won't throw everything out at once in a panic, but I spent quite a bit of the fight either just running around trying to keep tabs on everyone or using the MP thingie that heals a bit of MP to the party, either way, I'm definetly not always pushing a button. My general guideline is to pay attention to someone at 75% and only go out of my way to heal at 50%.

Wallach

I don't know how it is as a Mystic, but as a Priest, if I try to keep everyone max in a boss fight, it's hard to tell what will happen first. Either the boss will super aggro on me or MP will run out, either way, I feel the game is trying to make it clear that I should heal "smart".
Not to say I won't throw everything out at once in a panic, but I spent quite a bit of the fight either just running around trying to keep tabs on everyone or using the MP thingie that heals a bit of MP to the party, either way, I'm definetly not always pushing a button.

It gets to a point where you should always be pushing buttons. If you don't need healing there are other things - Energy Stars, glyphed Triple Nemesis, glyphed Mana Charge - you should be doing.

From my experience the only heal with the threat modifier is the lock-ons. I dump 22.5k on 3-4 people regularly (we usually run full melee) since level 45 and I haven't pulled aggro from our tank from it yet. I have however pulled a couple times in SA when having to do a couple lock-ons in a row because people are not on the same side of the boss to get everyone with AoE healing.

Wallach, the red balls attract aggro too! And, yea, agree on the cycle through the skills thing. I find myself always doing something for the group.

Sblargh, I play both priest and mystic (mystic is my main, though). I glyphed up my target healing up to heal 3 targets, and since one team member is usually the ranged dps (archer or sorcerer), I usually only need to pay attention to three melee dps' healths. It's not that hard to keep three HP bars near the top, specially since they are usually clustered around the monster.

But you're totally right. I need to play the healing aspect 'smarter' ! Very true.

2San

Wallach, the red balls attract aggro too! And, yea, agree on the cycle through the skills thing. I find myself always doing something for the group.

Sblargh, I play both priest and mystic (mystic is my main, though). I glyphed up my target healing up to heal 3 targets, and since one team member is usually the ranged dps (archer or sorcerer), I usually only need to pay attention to three melee dps' healths. It's not that hard to keep three HP bars near the top, specially since they are usually clustered around the monster.

But you're totally right. I need to play the healing aspect 'smarter' ! Very true.
The increased range glyph on the heal is pretty decent as well imo, though it kinda screws with your perception of the range on the lock on cleanse. Remember it's only the ball creation that draws aggro(so not the pick up).

There's definitely always something to do, because of our attack buff having such a short duration and draining MP like crazy, which leads to more mana management.

Top Bottom