• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

PewPewK

Just found this interesting post off of reddit talking about rumored upcoming features to the Korean (and thus the Western) clients:

TLDR Warning, also upcoming content infoz. Read at your own risk.

None. We are currently equal to them in terms of content. There are 2 major content patches for the game, which is Destruction of Beasts, and Queen of Argons, but QoA is in 2 parts. We both currently have DoB and both have QoA part 1, and are both scheduled to get QoA part 2 sometime this summer from what I have heard. The game has been out just a hair over a year there, and has 2 major content patches, so that's decent I'd say. EME is not merely translating, but I don't think they have the power to just totally go in a different direction on their own. But I do think they have the power to have Bluehole implement specific things at their request.

According to this picture, they release a content patch quarterly.

B0qD3.jpg

We have most of the stuff up until 2012, and they are about a quarter behind on a few things. According to the pic and other sources, we are still due to get

-Level cap increase
-A new class
-Server vs Server
-Battlegrounds
-20 man raids
-Guild housing
-More guild levels
-Cross server neutral city
-PVP invasions of other servers
-Improved political system
-Floating capital city that can be moved and effects the entire server with buffs/bonuses. Can be parked in SvS area as a drop point for reinforcements.
-Revamped tradeskills
-New armor and weapons models and tier
-PVP Honor like system with purchasable pvp gear
-Ranked battlegrounds? (group matching)
-Warrior and Lancer buffs for tanking

Server invasions & a huge aerial city will be implemented by early next year.
The ‘Demonic Beast of Destruction’ patch will introduce teamwork, opposition and resistance. If the current TERA is about 5 man PvE parties, for the future it will be about server vs server opposition and large scale battles. BHS mentioned 4 updates that will bring this to life.

The server neutral city of Agaia will open up frequently and will be a place multiple servers will share. This area will provide different kinds of PvE and PvP experiences. Each server’s Archons will have to fight off the other servers in order to provide a better experience for their own server players.

Through Agaia, players can also invade other servers, allowing them to collect ‘Dream Shards’. To balance out the power, the server matching will change depending on how many shards a server has.

gallery_24_4_130774.jpg

Lastly, early next year, the fourth major city called ‘Juras’ Ark’ will be revealed. Juras’ Ark can only be acquired through politics and the policies made through Juras will be server wide, affecting more than one continent. If Dream Shard and Agaia is about power, Juras is about how to use that power.

For example, if you are in a server that takes great care at PvP and server vs server wars, you can move Juras to the middle of Agaia, to use as a floating fortress. Along with the Juras’ Ark patch, TERA’s ninth class will be revealed.

K-TERA Press Conference: Demon Beast of Destruction - TERA Fans Online Forums

...The 20 man party aka Raid Party will be added.

10vs10 BGs are being actively worked on, also PvP balance is being analyzed. Additionally, monsters will be placed on the maps for a more strategic battle, by defeating the monsters the party will get additional buffs. BG party matching also being worked on. (We also know they are adding other BG's without monsters, such as deathmatch style and Arathi Basin node capture/defense style).

Part 2 of the Argon Queen update will feature major changes for our tankers.
Warriors as tankers proove to be a difficult issue to handle but the second part of Argon Queen update aims to solve these problems. Various balance restoring plans will be tested out.

0404_stamina.jpg

One of them is the Stamina Bar/Gauge you can see above (I assume the current stamina will revert back to condition as it was referred to previously). If a Lancer successfully blocks an attack no MP will be consumed but Stamina instead. This will ensure that Lancers will have better resources.

Warriors on the other hand will be able to continually evade and dodge attacks while they have Stamina so as long as you have stamina, no cooldown will be applied to the skill.

The formal introduction of the Stamina Gauge is yet to be finalized but the current internal tester's feedback was positive so far.

Warriors will get additional tanking skills and Lancers will get some skills to enhance solo gameplay.

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=54718

En Masse also trotted out the first mention of its plans for server vs. server combat. The system is designed to provide additional endgame content via PvE and PvP. "It's going to have players from other servers coming to your territory, on your server, and invading your space," Hager explained. He went on to mention how guilds will need to ally with one another to repel the invaders, and if the alliance proves strong enough, take the fight back to the invaders' home turf. En Masse was very coy about the details on this new system, and we expect more information will be forthcoming as we move toward TERA's spring 2012 release date.

PAX 2011: TERA producers reveal server vs. server endgame content | Massively

If they can pull all this shit off and get some raids in there, hoooooly shit, they can have my dollars. Really though, if they can pull this SvS stuff off and whatnot, this game will be king of PvP and have solid PvE. It sounds so much more promising to me than GW2 PvP even.

Src

Some really interesting stuff looking into the future of TERA.

Did my first run of BoL yesterday. I was playing my mystic and had no idea what I was doing but thankfully the team just told me to spam balls, and that I did.

I don;t really like doing group stuff until I know how to really play my class. but all the hoping between characters stopped my bleeding edge skills from being honed ;)

I spend today refining my shortcuts and rotations on some basilisks. I think I have a better control of the mystic core abilities for group and bam fighting. Gonna test it out on another run later.

Also paid close attention to the tank and they had no regard for any positioning or threat holding. I'm not sure if thats just how this game works (monsters naturally just freak out all over the place like monster hunter) or he was just being super lazy.

We didn't wipe so I'm guessing he was either being lax because he was OP or this first dungeon is stupidly easy.

BoL is sort of an introductory dungeon, it's relatively small and most groups survive it without getting wipe. You seem to be doing the right things with how you're observing and analysing and thinking over the aspects of group-fighting, like your observation with the tank in your group. Some tanks are really good, some don't really grasp their class well. Actually this goes for almost every class, lol.

Jumping between character class does disrupt play style. This is so true. When I jump between my priest and my mystic, I get so confused that the buttons are not doing what they are supposed to be doing..... haha.

Anyway, I really enjoy reading your reflections of TERA in the thread so far : )

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I'm 55 and the game is starting to get grindy. It used to be that I had a continuous chain of quests going from 1-50, and many times I skipped a lot of quests because I outleveled them. Now I'm clearing entire subzones without even breaking 50% to next level. Is this true for everyone else or am I just doing something wrong?

Also did the mobs suddenly get a lot stronger and more resistant to crits?

glaurung

teraarcher.jpg

Here is my archer from a couple of nights ago (~lv26). He now already has a new bow that looks even more wicked. I just love the Amani armor designs, I am currently also pumping up an Amani sorcerer.

Is the community pretty large and strong at this point? The game seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper, and right now it's $35 on Amazon and next week it'll be $25 which has me worried.

I've always wanted to try a MMO, but I'm not sure if I want to pay a subscription to this if there's a chance it's going to go free to play like DC Universe and there's always PSO2 coming up.

Is the community pretty large and strong at this point? The game seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper, and right now it's $35 on Amazon and next week it'll be $25 which has me worried.

I've always wanted to try a MMO, but I'm not sure if I want to pay a subscription to this if there's a chance it's going to go free to play like DC Universe and there's always PSO2 coming up.

There's a lot of players, def no problem there.

Paprikka

So I'm 55 and the game is starting to get grindy. It used to be that I had a continuous chain of quests going from 1-50, and many times I skipped a lot of quests because I outleveled them. Now I'm clearing entire subzones without even breaking 50% to next level. Is this true for everyone else or am I just doing something wrong?

I've hit a similar wall, though it was a tad higher since I almost never skip quests. About halfway to 57 I just ran out of normal quests. I still had two story quests to finish up in instances and I'm guessing after I do one of them it will open up more normal quests, but it still felt a bit odd I had no other options.

What I did was just start going to zones I hadn't been to yet, even if no one told me to go there. I'm in Seeliewood right now and even if I'm missing the main story quest line it seems like I'm able to get most every other quest.

And mobs did seem like they got stronger for the past few levels, although I personally just chalked it up to me being overleveled before and things evening out as you get higher.

I've hit a similar wall, though it was a tad higher since I almost never skip quests. About halfway to 57 I just ran out of normal quests. I still had two story quests to finish up in instances and I'm guessing after I do one of them it will open up more normal quests, but it still felt a bit odd I had no other options.

What I did was just start going to zones I hadn't been to yet, even if no one told me to go there. I'm in Seeliewood right now and even if I'm missing the main story quest line it seems like I'm able to get most every other quest.

And mobs did seem like they got stronger for the past few levels, although I personally just chalked it up to me being overleveled before and things evening out as you get higher.

quest in the 58 area such as the Northern Kaitor regions. The mobs have much lower hp and do a lot less dmg.

Its very apparent that the old cap was 58 considering how easy it is to go from 58-60 compares to 56-58

Ken

Question about enchanting:

What's needed to enchant? So far all I think is know is that you need the same tier item and something else?

Is it worth enchanting level 38+ stuff?

Is it possible to fail and break items through enchanting?

jiien

Question about enchanting:

What's needed to enchant? So far all I think is know is that you need the same tier item and something else?

Is it worth enchanting level 38+ stuff?

Is it possible to fail and break items through enchanting?

You need alkahests, sold by the generic Merchants in all the major cities. You'll need a bunch of them, the number of which is determined by the tier of the item you are trying to enchant (tier 2 requires 2 alkahests per attempt, for example). Each attempt will require those alkahests, and a throwaway item of the same tier that will get destroyed.

You need special alkahests once you get over +6, I believe.

And enchanting is a huuuuuge money sink. I wouldn't bother until you either have a ton of money you want to waste, or max level. The thing is that stats on weapons you get as you level scale up every quickly, so even if you enchant a gold (highest tier) weapon up a couple of times, a blue of the next tier will outdo it in a couple of levels (which you'll likely get as a reward from questing), and greens will be better not long after that.

You can fail at enchanting, but failing will not delevel the target weapon, nor will it break it (you only lose the alkahests and throwaway item). The throwaway item is recommended to be of a certain rarity for certain enchantment levels (ie, using golds to get from +6 to +9 or something), because the higher rarities increase the chance for success. In that way, failure comes with a very high price, and failing at higher levels is much more common. People easily burn thousands of gold trying to go from +6 to +9 on something, because the alkahests themselves can cost sometimes up to 250 gold per attempt.

jiien

Just a head's up to the VoT gaffers, I just signed us up for three guild wars, for fun. We declared on Honor Guard, a smallish guild, because one of our members didn't like them for something. We declared on Valhalla, a very large guild, because one of our members saw a bunch of their low level members and thought to get some easy kills (incidentally, said member was killed by the third guild we declared against before anything happened against Valhalla). Finally, we declared against Hello Kitty for DMPrince. Happy leveling! :D

Scum

Just a head's up to the VoT gaffers, I just signed us up for three guild wars, for fun. We declared on Honor Guard, a smallish guild, because one of our members didn't like them for something. We declared on Valhalla, a very large guild, because one of our members saw a bunch of their low level members and thought to get some easy kills (incidentally, said member was killed by the third guild we declared against before anything happened against Valhalla). Finally, we declared against Hello Kitty for DMPrince. Happy leveling! :D

NLoww.gif

haha. will be good

Effect

I wonder if people don't know about the channel system in the game.

Still on the Isle of Dawn was getting annoyed that the inscribed stones kept being taken and then remembered I could change channels. Went to the second channel and had the area to myself. Several others were on the channel but we were pretty spread out I think. Think I'm going to do that for a while. Switch to another channel to do quest and then switch back to the first channel to get a group for other quest or when I'm just in town or city and want to chat. No sense fighting for mobs. Great gathering as well. Only problem is remembering to switch back if I teleport back to town. You get dropped into channel 1 by default anytime you do that.

Paprikka

I wonder if people don't know about the channel system in the game.

Still on the Isle of Dawn was getting annoyed that the inscribed stones kept being taken and then remembered I could change channels. Went to the second channel and had the area to myself. Several others were on the channel but we were pretty spread out I think. Think I'm going to do that for a while. Switch to another channel to do quest and then switch back to the first channel to get a group for other quest or when I'm just in town or city and want to chat. No sense fighting for mobs. Great gathering as well. Only problem is remembering to switch back if I teleport back to town. You get dropped into channel 1 by default anytime you do that.

The really nice thing about switching channels for quest items is they're always in the same place, so if you find a nice little group of them you can hop around channels and finish pretty quick.

Also area chat is for all channels as far as I know, so you wont miss anything there by being in another channel than 1.

Izayoi

Banned
Finally got a full set (plus weapon) of level 60 enigmatic gear. Took me about 20,000 gold, but man I just destroy everything now. Definitely worth it.

Finally got a full set (plus weapon) of level 60 enigmatic gear. Took me about 20,000 gold, but man I just destroy everything now. Definitely worth it.

How did you get the gold o_O. At 60 after doing almost all the quest it seems hard to get gold outside of farming mobs.

Haly

I wish I got to 60 earlier, being 56 is useless against 60s.

I wish the level disparity wasn't so huge.

Ken

Are there specific places that are best for farming certain crystals?

Is it okay to take some crystals from the guild bank (Dragonfall)?

Lhexh

I have not had any time to put into this lately and my weekend will be no different I am going through withdrawals lol. I should be back on monday. This is Sokku BTW :) Also can anyone recommend a good Mic for the comp that is comfortable and costly?

Haly

Archer derps around in Sky Garden, keeps dying, ragequits before the second boss.

2 Enigmatic superiors drop immediately after, and I'm the only leather wearer in the group.

Karma feels good man.

LTTP: WOOO! Finally hit 60 last night. Going to run instances all weekend and get geared up.

Game had 700,000+ subs less than a week ago, I'd say the temporary pricecut is just to counteract Diablo 3.

It's not even a price cut. It's just a discounted sale which is only good for two days. Amazon is currently having a large DD sale so it could be related to that. The standard edition retail copy on Amazon was discounted to around $39.99 a while ago, but they are probably looking to unload any retail boxes left over, especially with Atari's recent financial issues.

F2P? Not a chance. Now is the time to jump in. The game isn't likely to get another discount this low for some time. At about $25 with 30 days included, you're not going to get a much better deal than that, even if you decide to unsubscribe after the free trial. The community is very strong right now and if you are interested in PVP, those servers seem to be the most densely populated (players are more spread out due to PVE server numbers). If you decide to go PVE, join Dragonfall as there are a lot of gaffers there currently.

There is still an over abundance of quests but it definitely takes longer to level from 50-60. You may need to do a little zone exploring as not all the zone quests are in areas where story quests take place. I hit 60 tonight and had a metric ton of quests that I have yet to complete worth tons of experience. Also, the story quests give you insane amounts of experience at that level. It will take longer but it shouldn't feel grindy, especially in comparison to other MMOs. It will go much faster if you find someone to group with.

As Paprika said, everything starts to even out around 55, since you are getting close to cap. This is a good thing in my opinion. This was probably the first time I wasn't able to run around one-shotting everything due to being over-leveled so much.

I wish I got to 60 earlier, being 56 is useless against 60s.

I wish the level disparity wasn't so huge.

Pretty much. I think the gear disparity is even worse. Even at level 59 or level 60, I still get wiped by anyone fully geared with tier 9+ equipment. I don't stand a chance.

Ryuuga

Banned
What instances are the best to run in order to be efficiently equipped at 60? Also how is everyone else spending their time endgame?

What instances are the best to run in order to be efficiently equipped at 60? Also how is everyone else spending their time endgame?

Baldurs Temple and Fane of Kaprima for the level 60, tier 12, enigmatics. All the hard mode dungeons drop the tier 13 items but I would recommend going for the tier 12 and enchanting that up first. As for how I'm spending my time endgame, I just hit 60 so I'm about to start gearing up and farming gold by running instances. In between that I'll be crafting and doing daily quests. There are a ton of daily quests and some interesting rewards. My guild is also getting ready for the Vanarchy campaign and forming various alliances. Oh, also PVP.

<3 Valley of Titans.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok I will randomly get these pop up messages that say "So and So is trying to contact you! Press Alt to repsond!". And I press alt, but all it does is bring up the little menu. I dont see where I'm being "contacted". I even checked my whispers and the chat... nada. What does this mean? It's probably happened 4 or 5 times. I think it might have something to do with guild invites because one of the guys name I recognized from him spamming chat with his guild.

Also, is there any way to rez closer to the action? Like am I missing some rez points or something? I'm level 20 and when I get ganked I still have to rez all the way back at Lumbertown or Crescentia(sp?), even though my quests are kinda far away. I don't mind getting ganked, but the hike back to my questing areas is kinda far, I feel like Im missing a graveyard or something.

Overall though, game is badass. I'm Bloodynine on Feral Valley if anyone wants to play.

Slacker

Also, is there any way to rez closer to the action? Like am I missing some rez points or something? I'm level 20 and when I get ganked I still have to rez all the way back at Lumbertown or Crescentia(sp?), even though my quests are kinda far away. I don't mind getting ganked, but the hike back to my questing areas is kinda far, I feel like Im missing a graveyard or something.

You can't rez closer to the action, but you can get back there at lot faster. When you get killed, find two NPCs in the town where you respawn:

1. The Cleric of Restoration can restore your stamina for a relatively small fee. Much faster than waiting by a campfire.

2. The Teleport Master can usually port you pretty close to where you died, assuming you have visited a teleport destination nearby previously.

Both NPCs can be found on the overlay map - just mouse over the icons to find them.

Also, consider transferring to Valley of Titans if you want to play with your close personal GAF buddies. We have a small-but-active* guild there. If you are playing with friends on FV, bring 'em along too. The more the merrier. :)

*the Streblo family will return this weekend - gotta balance between TERA and D3 ;)

You can't rez closer to the action, but you can get back there at lot faster. When you get killed, find two NPCs in the town where you respawn:

1. The Cleric of Restoration can restore your stamina for a relatively small fee. Much faster than waiting by a campfire.

2. The Teleport Master can usually port you pretty close to where you died, assuming you have visited a teleport destination nearby previously.

Both NPCs can be found on the overlay map - just mouse over the icons to find them.

Also, consider transferring to Valley of Titans if you want to play with your close personal GAF buddies. We have a small-but-active guild there. If you are playing with friends on FV, bring 'em along too. The more the merrier. :)

I'll be on tonight. got to at least win one of the guild wars before it's over in 12 hours. Will help out. hopefully to at least hit lvl 52 or better 55.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Also, consider transferring to Valley of Titans if you want to play with your close personal GAF buddies. We have a small-but-active* guild there. If you are playing with friends on FV, bring 'em along too. The more the merrier. :)

*the Streblo family will return this weekend - gotta balance between TERA and D3 ;)

Oh wow good to know, thanks! I might actually xfer over. When I started playing the queue for Valley of Titans was pretty big so I went Feral Valley just out of impatience :p

Ken

So when does money start falling from the sky? I'm level 39 sill grinding out CR for experience. Should I resume questing at 40?

Slacker

Oh wow good to know, thanks! I might actually xfer over. When I started playing the queue for Valley of Titans was pretty big so I went Feral Valley just out of impatience :p

I'd suggest doing it sooner than later - no one knows how long they'll leave the free transfers up. Queues seem to be a thing of the past, now.

small bug fixes.

This week's maintenance time was spent cleaning up the election halls for the upcoming vanarch elections. While sprucing up, we also washed away a couple dozen more bugs, including some odd characters like brackets and slashes hanging around in our dye timers and quests. If you continue to see odd characters, you might be hanging out in the wrong part of town.
Typos and doubled words were removed from other quests. An incorrect NPC name was fixed in The Long Goodbye quest. We corrected a creature name in The Angry Forest quest, and the location listed in the Rescue the Core quest.

Known issue.

Popori pranksters have been caught playing with teleportal buttons. Please do not be alarmed by swapped labels on these buttons. The teleportals will deliver you to the right location despite any mislabeled buttons.

Top Bottom