• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Izayoi

Banned
How did you get the gold o_O. At 60 after doing almost all the quest it seems hard to get gold outside of farming mobs.
Auction house, auction house, auction house! Sell everything you don't need.

LTTP: WOOO! Finally hit 60 last night. Going to run instances all weekend and get geared up.

It's not even a price cut. It's just a discounted sale which is only good for two days. Amazon is currently having a large DD sale so it could be related to that. The standard edition retail copy on Amazon was discounted to around $39.99 a while ago, but they are probably looking to unload any retail boxes left over, especially with Atari's recent financial issues.
Grats on 60! Yeah, I think I'll be getting a second account. $30 is too cheap to pass up.

Ok I will randomly get these pop up messages that say "So and So is trying to contact you! Press Alt to repsond!". And I press alt, but all it does is bring up the little menu. I dont see where I'm being "contacted". I even checked my whispers and the chat... nada. What does this mean? It's probably happened 4 or 5 times. I think it might have something to do with guild invites because one of the guys name I recognized from him spamming chat with his guild.
It's either a party invite, a guild invite, a trade invite, or an invite to duel.

I don't understand Popori anatomy.
eEDh8.png

I guess that looks easy, lemme give it a shot.
U2soo.png

OH NO OH GOD WHY DID I DO THIS?!

Is the Collector's Edition worth the price? From what I noticed, the only things I care about are the two mounts and the stat boosting necklaces. Do these items really make a difference?

NeOak

Is the Collector's Edition worth the price? From what I noticed, the only things I care about are the two mounts and the stat boosting necklaces. Do these items really make a difference?

The mount is worth it. You can't get a mount of that speed in the game atm without being Vanarch

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Rolled a slayer just to check out hitboxes on their skills. My god might as well give them auto aim you dont have to aim shit for them just sorta be in the general area

Well I am at a roadblock. In order to continue with the story I need to go through Necromancer's Tomb, but I spent about an hour trying to get a group with no success what so ever. The queue only seems to work for Lancers where I got insta grouped every single time I used it as one.

But on my main (Warrior), I have had it work only once so far, and that was after a 40 minute wait.

Would of been great if they had solo versions of the dungeon's so you could complete them to advance the story.

At this point if I can't get a group for this I will probably be hanging up the towel.

I don't have it in me to level a lancer through all the old content just to get a group for this.

Ken

Well I am at a roadblock. In order to continue with the story I need to go through Necromancer's Tomb, but I spent about an hour trying to get a group with no success what so ever. The queue only seems to work for Lancers where I got insta grouped every single time I used it as one.

But on my main (Warrior), I have had it work only once so far, and that was after a 40 minute wait.

Would of been great if they had solo versions of the dungeon's so you could complete them to advance the story.

At this point if I can't get a group for this I will probably be hanging up the towel.

I don't have it in me to level a lancer through all the old content just to get a group for this.

This is how I felt on my Slayer. :(

Izayoi

Banned
No high level friends who can just power you through it? To be honest, you don't have to do the story quests. It helps a lot, but they're definitely not necessary to continue with the game, especially the 5-man capstones.

Visceir

Maybe I should make a lvl 20 char on Dragonfall just so I could vote, hmmmmm

Did BT 5 times today and FoK twice. Got a pair of boots from FoK and got those to +6, still no weapon, atleast the my friend, a lancer finally got his weapon. 1x sorc weapon, 1x lancer's weapon, 3x no enig weapon.

had a friend mystic and lancer with me, we usually just looked for a decent sorc to accompany us and then queued up to get the last dps and shorted instance CD. My god were some of the random people we queued up with awful. After our mystic left we ended up with a sorc and mystic who repeatedly got killed by the red targeting balls at BT's third last boss =/, and it seems like most people who have clue whatsoever what kind of crystals to use...there was one who didn't even have 4 crystals equipped :(

Can't really blame lancers for constantly leaving or other people kicking players who queued up when most of them lack the proper gear (crystals) and experience for the dungeon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
VoT crashed on the final boss of Suryati's Peak.

:|

Haly

Suryati's Peak is really bullshit though, at one point we had people ressing in town and running back to continue the boss fight.

Visceir

Finally managed to get a group for NT. 10 minutes into the dungeon, crash.

Urge to play, decreasing....

Btw. 40 min seems like a really reasonable queue time if you queue alone as a damage dealer. Just go do something else while you're in queue. That's pretty much what I do some days, just queue up and then go do my daily quests. And I'm usualyl facing 1h15 queue times :p

And whenever you start a new zone partner up with someone, preferably lancer or priest/mystic. Makes the leveling go faster and you make new useful connections. Those 3 classes will shorten your queue time by a lot.

Izayoi

Banned
Suryati's Peak is really bullshit though, at one point we had people ressing in town and running back to continue the boss fight.
Used to be a level 58 (cap) hardmode instance. They down-tuned it for QotA, but it's a walk in the park compared to the the endgame ones.

Haly

True, I guess we can only blame ourselves.

So close to 58, so close. Then I can stunlock these fuckers for 10 seconds.

What do you guys think of instance drop etiquette?

Like if something drops that you already have equipped and you win the roll? Do you give it to whoever needs it?

Just had a situation where one person got all the drops including stuff he already had equipped. I asked him if I could have the chest piece that dropped (he already had another of the same armor equipped) and got ignored.

I realize he won the rolls fair and square but I know(and already have) if I was in his position I would of gladly given the piece if it was a duplicate of something I already had.

Haly

I try to be nice about it. If I won a Superior item, I'll forfeit the roll the next time something drops if I'm not the only leather wearer in the group. Weapons I make exceptions for, because they're intrinsically tied to my leveling speed.

I don't really expect the same behavior from other people, it's just something I do to feel good abut myself, not because I'm altruistic or anything.

Rinoa

I had a super long wait for this myself, I figured it that there weren't many people online who needed it though.

Full disclosure I am the Marketing Manager for Amazon.com Game Downloads

Hey guys,

For those of you who have friends waiting to get into the game, or for those of you on the fence, I wanted you all to know we'll (Amazon.com) have the download versions of TERA for 50% off tomorrow (both standard and collector's).

We're also giving out a unique and exclusive cosmetic item to everyone who purchases from 5/19-5/28. It is a green bandana for your character's face called the "Olive Green Bandit Bandana". If you already purchased the digital download from us, we didn't want you to feel like you missed out on unique content for buying early...so we just dropped it into your account for you. Check your games and software library and it should be there soon (might take a bit to propagate but it is on the way :))

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Tony

Izayoi

Banned
What do you guys think of instance drop etiquette?

Like if something drops that you already have equipped and you win the roll? Do you give it to whoever needs it?

Just had a situation where one person got all the drops including stuff he already had equipped. I asked him if I could have the chest piece that dropped (he already had another of the same armor equipped) and got ignored.

I realize he won the rolls fair and square but I know(and already have) if I was in his position I would of gladly given the piece if it was a duplicate of something I already had.
That's the problem with most PUGs. They'll at least agree to keep loot class restricted but that's about it. Sometimes you'll get the nice guy who lets you know if he needs something or not and give it to you. I grouped with a Lancer the other day that not only didn't kick me from the group, but also gave me an orange after he had won one previously. You will, however, find that generally people are greedy assholes.

Full disclosure I am the Marketing Manager for Amazon.com Game Downloads

Hey guys,

For those of you who have friends waiting to get into the game, or for those of you on the fence, I wanted you all to know we'll (Amazon.com) have the download versions of TERA for 50% off tomorrow (both standard and collector's).

We're also giving out a unique and exclusive cosmetic item to everyone who purchases from 5/19-5/28. It is a green bandana for your character's face called the "Olive Green Bandit Bandana". If you already purchased the digital download from us, we didn't want you to feel like you missed out on unique content for buying early...so we just dropped it into your account for you. Check your games and software library and it should be there soon (might take a bit to propagate but it is on the way :))

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Tony

I convinced my friend to break down and buy the digital version from Amazon the other day and he has literally gotten to play for like 30 minutes, so he's pretty bummed about this sale. I feel bad too. Do you think Amazon could do anything for him?

More like everyone who bought the game before got a huge headstart.

Mowell, guess they have a hard time getting new subscribers?

DIABLO 3

probably bitch slapped them

Game had 700,000+ subs less than a week ago, I'd say the temporary pricecut is just to counteract Diablo 3.

It's not even a price cut. It's just a discounted sale which is only good for two days. Amazon is currently having a large DD sale so it could be related to that. The standard edition retail copy on Amazon was discounted to around $39.99 a while ago, but they are probably looking to unload any retail boxes left over, especially with Atari's recent financial issues.

F2P? Not a chance. Now is the time to jump in. The game isn't likely to get another discount this low for some time. At about $25 with 30 days included, you're not going to get a much better deal than that, even if you decide to unsubscribe after the free trial. The community is very strong right now and if you are interested in PVP, those servers seem to be the most densely populated (players are more spread out due to PVE server numbers). If you decide to go PVE, join Dragonfall as there are a lot of gaffers there currently.

There is still an over abundance of quests but it definitely takes longer to level from 50-60. You may need to do a little zone exploring as not all the zone quests are in areas where story quests take place. I hit 60 tonight and had a metric ton of quests that I have yet to complete worth tons of experience. Also, the story quests give you insane amounts of experience at that level. It will take longer but it shouldn't feel grindy, especially in comparison to other MMOs. It will go much faster if you find someone to group with.

As Paprika said, everything starts to even out around 55, since you are getting close to cap. This is a good thing in my opinion. This was probably the first time I wasn't able to run around one-shotting everything due to being over-leveled so much.

Pretty much. I think the gear disparity is even worse. Even at level 59 or level 60, I still get wiped by anyone fully geared with tier 9+ equipment. I don't stand a chance.

A couple of comments here on these threads:

The sale is only on the game downloads version of the game, not the boxed version. TERA is consistently one of our top performing titles on the game downloads side we worked to get them included in this sale because we're going to have a METRIC TON of traffic coming to the page during this period (particularly both Saturdays in the MAYHem! event) and wanted to capitalize on that traffic with a really compelling offer that we could place front and center in the marketing material. In order to be fair to our other publishers in the sale who, as you can see, came to the table with awesome discounts as well (Bioshock 1 and 2 bundle for $7.49, ARMA II Combined OPS for $14.99...killer deals), we needed to have a decent discount associated with the game. We felt this was a good value. My point is that the sale is not indicative of performance off promotion, and we consider TERA and En Masse a key part of our success this past month and hopefully in May :).

I convinced my friend to break down and buy the game the other day and he has literally gotten to play for like 30 minutes, so he's pretty bummed about this sale. I feel bad too. Do you think Amazon could do anything for him?

Unfortunately, likely not, we change prices for sales all the time and if we issued refunds to everyone who purchased a game prior to a sales event we'd constantly be issuing refunds to everyone who purchased a game on the a few days or a week before said sale.

Sorry :( I'm sure this isn't the answer you want to hear, I'm happy to try and answer any other questions you might have.

Cheers,
Tony

Sblargh

Banned
So, since I am doing all side quests I bump into with my main, I decided to try to do an alt (sorcerer) and do only the story quests, unless there is none, then I do the higher sidequest available just to level enough to the story quest and what I'm only lvl 15 with this alt, but wow at 75% of story quest is literally going from point A to B and the other 25% is like "kill this *one* guy".
I guess the game wasn't meant to be played at neither extreme. :p (on my other chracter, now at lvl 36, I'm constantly, at least, 3 levels above the quests)

I try to be nice about it. If I won a Superior item, I'll forfeit the roll the next time something drops if I'm not the only leather wearer in the group. Weapons I make exceptions for, because they're intrinsically tied to my leveling speed.

I don't really expect the same behavior from other people, it's just something I do to feel good abut myself, not because I'm altruistic or anything.

I see. I guess it might be unreasonable to expect others to act the same. They might need the drops for their own reasons I guess.

I'm not really miffed by what happened. I ended up getting a good chest piece from a story quest so everything ended pretty well.

I had a super long wait for this myself, I figured it that there weren't many people online who needed it though.

Yeah, it didn't seem that popular of an instance, at least compared to the others I had done previous to it. I was lucky to get a group when I did.

That's the problem with most PUGs. They'll at least agree to keep loot class restricted but that's about it. Sometimes you'll get the nice guy who lets you know if he needs something or not and give it to you. I grouped with a Lancer the other day that not only didn't kick me from the group, but also gave me an orange after he had won one previously. You will, however, find that generally people are greedy assholes.

I have no one to play with so I'm pretty reliant on PUGs. Maybe that will change when I get closer to 60.

Ken

I am very thankful for the random DPS classes willing to help me kill mobs for quests that would have taken me all night to do rather than 30 minutes.

kuroshiki

After tried FF14, I don't know if I should venture further or not.

Is this game any good? Because FF14 was incredibly demanding when it comes to grinding. (and besides that I need to do sizable amount of crafting level up... and can't sell my gear because of some BS rule about repairing it)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Is this game any good? Because FF14 was incredibly demanding when it comes to grinding. (and besides that I need to do sizable amount of crafting level up... and can't sell my gear because of some BS rule about repairing it)
Fear not, TERA is much more casual-friendly in terms other than the action combat.

Got it through Amazon, looking forward to checking it out. Currently downloading it while I wait in the Live Chat queue so I can get them to turn off Auto Billing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

This game is really easy to level up in and the gameplay itself feels fun. Once you get to end game the gameplay REALLY shines. Some of the fights are simply amazing. worth the price of admission alone.

As for how long it takes to hit max level? If you play like 3 hours a day for example you can hit max level in maybe 3 weeks max

Ryuuga

Banned
You get some really interesting individuals through instance matching sometimes. I just had a run through Balder's Temple and we had a few first-time runners who needed some context for the trials we were about the face. We went through the fights rather fast, but as it came the final room it fell apart. The tank was in no mood to listen to any of the explanation rushed in and got us killed by moving the boss over AoEs, running for
the cannons
when aggro'd and other shenanigans. We got wiped, the tank then promptly quit the party which lead to the warrior being delegated as party leader and THREATENED us to stay or take the 15m decay because he wasn't kick anyone. :)

Just got the game. I didn't like the beta much, but the new updates to the cooldown system and the Guild warring sold me. I'm hoping it plays more fluidly like Vindictus. Can someone answer a few questions? This is my first MMO.

I never found the right class in the beta. I forgot what class I played, I think it was Slayer or Warrior, but I could only dodge once between having 10-15 sec cooldown which I hated.

What's the best class for a melee-focused character and a support character? For the PvP system, can I level up in PvE and then go to a PvP server when my character is leveled enough? And is there a website with a guide that mentions which skills I should be leveling up for my class?

I think this game should hold me over until Kingdom Under Fire 2.

Top Bottom