• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Skill ranks are bought, not leveled up. You don't need to worry about messing up your build by misplacing one point.

Warrior/Slayer - Lann
Lancer - Fiona
Sorceror/Mystic - Eve
Berserker - Karok

Warrior and Slayer are the best for speedy melee playstyles. Berserkers have lots of problems in both PvE and PvP. Support classes are Mystic and Priest, with people preferring Mystics in end game.

Owensboro

I don't understand Popori anatomy.
http://i.imgur.com/eEDh8.png

I guess that looks easy, lemme give it a shot.
http://i.imgur.com/U2soo.png
OH NO OH GOD WHY DID I DO THIS?!

hwthL.jpg
WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOUR LEG?!?! OH MY GOD!

Kokonoe

Banned
Oddly enough, my computer specs are more than the recommended settings for this game, yet I always get consistent dips in the framerate and lag.

Lebron

Anyone playing with a 360 controller sometimes get a bug where it'll randomly change the control layout for certain skills? Like I won't be able to spam A anymore(in my case Arrow attack), but instead it'll trigger Close Quarters(which is RB X) after I press A once. Even If I switch back to KB it'll still continue to do it till I restart. Just curious if it's a controller bug or actual game one.

Edit: That Amazon sale hurts. I purchased the Standard one on like Monday at full price from En Masse :(

Xiaoki

Anyone playing with a 360 controller sometimes get a bug where it'll randomly change the control layout for certain skills? Like I won't be able to spam A anymore(in my case Arrow attack), but instead it'll trigger Close Quarters(which is RB X) after I press A once. Even If I switch back to KB it'll still continue to do it till I restart. Just curious if it's a controller bug or actual game one.

I have had this happen once and it was yesterday actually.

For some reason my Interact button and Combo Attack button got switched. Only lasted like 10 seconds though.

Lebron

I have had this happen once and it was yesterday actually.

For some reason my Interact button and Combo Attack button got switched. Only lasted like 10 seconds though.

Ah, so it's probably a game issue then. I can hold off buying a new controller for now.

Okay, what the hell? I just bought this game. Downloading now.

Thing is, I don't like MMOs. I played the Bioware Star Wars for a bit before burning out.

So why am I buying this? I guess it's the real-time action, coupled with the fact that I can use a controller.

Should be playing in about 6 hours.

Lebron

What are the thoughts on classes? Favorites?

Keep in mind I'll probably be soloing for the most part...
I would probably say Lancer and Sorc are my favorite classes, just because Lancer you're right in their face blocking and stabbing. As for Sorc, you're basically a DBZ character without the DEF. I'm currently leveling up with my Alt Archer though, since he has the DPS and decent DEF. Going pretty well, can solo most of the BAMs I come across in the level 20 areas--though that's probably nothing compared to the higher areas.

Ken

I would probably say Lancer and Sorc are my favorite classes, just because Lancer you're right in their face blocking and stabbing. As for Sorc, you're basically a DBZ character without the DEF. I'm currently leveling up with my Alt Archer though, since he has the DPS and decent DEF. Going pretty well, can solo most of the BAMs I come across in the level 20 areas--though that's probably nothing compared to the higher areas.

Soloing as a lancer right now is pretty boring and slow though, especially on quests that ask you to kill 10+ of a type of enemy.

NeOak

Oddly enough, my computer specs are more than the recommended settings for this game, yet I always get consistent dips in the framerate and lag.

Yeah, it takes a dip as soon as more characters appear on the screen. Quite CPU heavy.

Izayoi

Banned
What are your specs? It can be very CPU-bound, more sensitive to a higher clock rate than additional threads/cores.

I never found the right class in the beta. I forgot what class I played, I think it was Slayer or Warrior, but I could only dodge once between having 10-15 sec cooldown which I hated.
Slayer has a 5 second cooldown dodge, and Warrior gets a 5 second and the 3 second (I think) as well as a couple of attacks where they take reduced damage while using them.

Berserkers get a block with a one-second cooldown, but it does not mitigate all damage in many situations and has a smaller effective angle than a Lancer's block.

Ricker

Did part of the story quests this morning,near Cuthroat Harbor,inside the Labyrinth(Azarael or something)with a Mystic and a Lancer...the Lancer was awesome,his blocking was great,those BAM's in there never touched me and the Mystic...game is awesome,I won't spoil anything but the cut scenes in there where great as well.

zsswimmer

Hmmm it's on Amazon for $25, very tempting price as I just got some birthday money. What is the most fun class in this game, melee oriented? I remember trying a magic char in the beta and it was pretty 'meh'.

Izayoi

Banned
Hmmm it's on Amazon for $25, very tempting price as I just got some birthday money. What is the most fun class in this game, melee oriented? I remember trying a magic char in the beta and it was pretty 'meh'.
Easiest pure melee DPS is Slayer. Warrior is technically a tank, but as DPS they're ridiculously easy. Slayer and Warrior are also the two fastest classes in the game. Zerks are difficult and take a lot of patience, but if you liked Hammer in MH you'll like them as well.

zsswimmer

Slayer, definitely. So awesome.

Easiest pure melee DPS is Slayer. Warrior is technically a tank, but as DPS they're ridiculously easy. Slayer and Warrior are also the two fastest classes in the game. Zerks are difficult and take a lot of patience, but if you liked Hammer in MH you'll like them as well.

Thanks. Bought it, deciding on whether to download now and I play later next week, or download/activate it in June when I have more free time. Looking forward to it either way.

Tess3ract

Banned
Stuck in Val Elenium, can't be arsed to play because the HP of the mobs is super increased and no one seems to want to level with me

Izayoi

Banned
Stuck in Val Elenium, can't be arsed to play because the HP of the mobs is super increased and no one seems to want to level with me
What server are you on? No GAF guild to play with? What class were you again? Server transfers are free and instant, my guild on Serpentis Isle has lots of 50s and I could help you with story quests, and the GAF guys on Dragonfall would almost certainly be willing to help you out as well.

Tess3ract

Banned
What server are you on? No GAF guild to play with? What class were you again? Server transfers are free and instant, my guild on Serpentis Isle has lots of 50s and I could help you with story quests, and the GAF guys on Dragonfall would almost certainly be willing to help you out as well.
VoT. Trying to get goons or random pubbies to level through the area and maybe to 60 is like pulling teeth.

Izayoi

Banned
VoT. Trying to get goons or random pubbies to level through the area and maybe to 60 is like pulling teeth.
Ah, sorry, I can't help you there. Maybe try getting on-board with TFT or something? The mob health does increase, but not that drastically. When was the last time you upgraded your weapon? Level 54/55 golds are super cheap, and definitely worth it if you're having trouble killing stuff.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
BoL is sort of an introductory dungeon, it's relatively small and most groups survive it without getting wipe. You seem to be doing the right things with how you're observing and analysing and thinking over the aspects of group-fighting, like your observation with the tank in your group. Some tanks are really good, some don't really grasp their class well. Actually this goes for almost every class, lol.

Jumping between character class does disrupt play style. This is so true. When I jump between my priest and my mystic, I get so confused that the buttons are not doing what they are supposed to be doing..... haha.

Anyway, I really enjoy reading your reflections of TERA in the thread so far : )

:D Thanks!

I see now about BoL. I've run it a few more times and its pretty much cake walk now. I'm pretty confident I should be able to run it on my lancer now. I can't wait to see what the other dungeons are like. Though I'm having fun times grouping up with random people and fighting Bam's in the overworld. :D

I didn't realise it before but my curse can stack x3 dealing (at lvl26) 414 damage every 2 seconds! And all I need to do is keep it up with a curse every now and then :D
Now I know what you mean when you said I had to keep my curses up xD

I really should blow my UI up a bit so I can see my buffs texts :p

Anyway now that I figured that out I bound the curse to my mouse 4 button so I can run and cast it. So glad I can move about and cast it, unlike the dps skills I have. So that stacked with the occasional bolt and/or blasts on a bam greatly increases my DPS from when I was soloing basilisks. Though bam's in general still take fooorrreeevvveerrrrrr, especially when a slayer is fighting the next bam over and killing it in half the time :p

I also found in group play, I can cast my Thrall of vengeance for added dps (ofcourse at the cost of mega MP) but it allows me to contribute a little to dps while I'm spamming balls, removing debuffs and using mana surge. Very nice!

On my lancer I spent some time (and cold hard gold) on crafting and enchantment? enchantment!
Boy is it expensive! I think I blew through 10 gold just to make the weapon get it to +3. D:

Yeah I don't think I'll be enchantment? Enchantment! anything again anytime soon :p

Getting close on my mystic to doing the next dungeon (SM?) so I'll report back once that is under my belt.

My mystic high elf discussing the height of elvish fashion during down time fighting bam's:p

Ah, sorry, I can't help you there. Maybe try getting on-board with TFT or something? The mob health does increase, but not that drastically. When was the last time you upgraded your weapon? Level 54/55 golds are super cheap, and definitely worth it if you're having trouble killing stuff.

TFT's active players instantly dropped by 50% on May 15th. I heard NFA and DGKK are being killed too right now. I really should go play Diablo III too while I wait for people come back to Tera instead of bashing my head against a wall looking for groups to run dungeons when the guild has so few actives.

NeOak

It may be my processor, but I'm not sure.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor 2.80 GHZ (3 cores)
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460
4 GB DDR3 Ram

I am planning on purchasing this sometime in the future.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375764

Yup, its the CPU. TERA doesn't use more than 2 cores so the clockspeed is what limits you.

You should get this instead:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325874

Bulldozer performance in games is the same as the Phenom IIs, and this one has one FPU for each core unlike the FX where they have just one FPU per 2 cores.

If you need better perfomance, jump to Intel and get a i5-2500k with a mobo that allows it to OC. You'll spend like 300 for both things though.

drkOne

50 to 60 really is a "one less to go, yay"… I had to grind half of my level 52 because I skipped everything in Serpentis Isle. I did Akasha's Hideout until finally leveling.
Now I'm 53 at 50%. Finally have quests, but it does take longer to do them. You do see more people looking for a group to quest though, as everyone is noticing the same difficulty increase.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yup, its the CPU. TERA doesn't use more than 2 cores so the clockspeed is what limits you.

You should get this instead:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325874

Bulldozer performance in games is the same as the Phenom IIs, and this one has one FPU for each core unlike the FX where they have just one FPU per 2 cores.

If you need better perfomance, jump to Intel and get a i5-2500k with a mobo that allows it to OC. You'll spend like 300 for both things though.

If I were to get the FX, would it be suitable for Tera without the FPU per 1 core?

VanillaPMP

Neo Member
Just got this shit from the Amazon sale and was wondering what the difference between pvp and pve servers are in this. Also, how are Mystics when it comes to soloing?

Rulza

Neo Member
Just got this shit from the Amazon sale and was wondering what the difference between pvp and pve servers are in this. Also, how are Mystics when it comes to soloing?

Solo-leveling a mystic is a pretty miserable experience in my opinion. You only have a few boring attacks and it takes forever to kill mobs compared to DPS classes. Mystics are super fun to play in groups though!

Kokonoe

Banned
Edit: No. Get a X6.

Or as Tess3ract, OC it.
Your edits confuse me. Although, The reason I want the Eight Core is I plan on doing a lot of video editing/processing and I was planning to OC the FX. Why the X6?
I have pretty much this system (except I OC'd that cpu to 3.5) and it runs tera pretty well except in certain situations.

Maybe I should try that to tide me over.

NeOak

Your edits confuse me. Although, The reason I want the Eight Core is I plan on doing a lot of video editing/processing and I was planning to OC the FX. Why the X6?.

Sorry. However, i did find a possible comparison. Batman Arkham Asylum runs on Unreal Engine 3 like TERA. So this can kinda apply

batman.gif

As for Video editing/processing, here is a x264 bench:

x264.gif

I guess that yeah, all you have to do its OC it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sorry. However, i did find a possible comparison. Batman Arkham Asylum runs on Unreal Engine 3 like TERA. So this can kinda apply

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/FX8150/images/batman.gif[IMG]

As for Video editing/processing, here is a x264 bench:

[IMG]http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/FX8150/images/x264.gif[IMG]

I guess that yeah, all you have to do its OC it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. And no worries, I appreciate the help. I'll take this into consideration.

Okay, so as soon as this game finishes downloading in the next couple of hours I'm gonna jump in and make a Slayer I think.

Anything I should know when jumping into the game for the first time? I'll pretty much just be looking to solo, do some quests, and figure out the combat system.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Okay, so as soon as this game finishes downloading in the next couple of hours I'm gonna jump in and make a Slayer I think.

Anything I should know when jumping into the game for the first time? I'll pretty much just be looking to solo, do some quests, and figure out the combat system.

At level 20 you get glyphs aka skill mods, at 11 you get your mount. Game starts off a little slow cause they want to ease people into it. Once you get around 20 *takes only a few hours* The game starts to open up to more of what you can expect it to be. Just don't get used to how easy it is and practice avoiding hits and stuff properly as end game mobs actually do hurt. A lot

There are also cyrstals you can buy from crystal merchants that you put in your armor and weapons. They are reuseable and can be taken back out. Get the hp regen, and movement speed out of combat one as soon as you get to the first area that has shops and get the mp regen stuff for your weapon crystals. They stack unless it says otherwise. Once you get to about 25 or so start using one bonus crit damage to enrage monsters in your weapon. Remove the bonus movement speed out of combat crystal for another hp regen crystal at 11.

Also take the time to up your gathering, you have 4 bank slots shared across acounts you can store the materials in for later, you can do any craft and any gathering when ever you want. Gathering has a chance give you passive hp regen, mp regen, more stam *max hp and mp increase for a short bit*, and movement speed in combat buffs every time you gather and they stack up. Once you hit 300 gathering on all 3 types of nodes you actually get a whole extra row of bag space. Just save the mats for leveling a craft you want later as it's too expensive early game but it becomes easy as hell to level late game.

Oh and be on the look out for specialty vendors they might not be in every region but they have better versions of crystals, badages, charms that buff you when thrown in a fire for 15 mins, and teleport scrolls that take you instantly to a dungeons location.

And thats the basics oh this video is nice too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RksKxhzrBZU

Wooow. Level VIII potions are expensive as hell to make. Just dropped about 1000G in minutes exhausting all the materials I had. Made about 100 of each though.

Top Bottom