• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Ryuuga

Banned
Wake up? Maintenance. Back from work? Maintenance and all because a few bad apples don't want to put the effort in? I didn't even find the climb from +7 to +9 all that hard.

hmphvk9mu.gif

Izayoi

Banned
I've only put about 2000g into the jump from +8 to +9 so far, but I've heard of people dropping close to 50000g and still not having any success. I'm actually finding that it was far easier to get to +9 in Korea, even with the chance to go down in enchant level. It definitely feels like they significantly lowered the chance of an item going up.

Does make me a little apprehensive about luxing.

Some screens while we wait.

tera2012-05-1505-19-1ijcfr.png

tera2012-05-1513-49-1xqipz.png

tera2012-05-1513-51-2iacg3.png

I've never played on a Roleplay server in any MMO. How does it work, specifically in TERA?

It's a server with a PVE ruleset that was designated RP so that members of the roleplaying community can find each other and engage in playing the game while in-character - talking like they believe their character would, not referencing things from the outside world without putting it in (( )) to signify that they are speaking out of character or OOC.

Generally speaking in my experience, the community seems to be better on these servers as opposed to the average PVE or PVP server.. but that certainly isn't always the case.

After the first 60 days, EME has said that they will allow people to report names that are considered inappropriate.. not necessarily offensive.. but names that players feel are out of place in the game world.. stupid character names.. like Im.with.stupid or big.johnson would be examples of names that might get reported. In terms of actual server mechanics, though.. they are identical to PVE servers.

Justin

So am i correct in understanding that Slayer is the most fun/easy class to solo with? I need something to waste time on for the next few weeks and was thinking of trying this game.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's a server with a PVE ruleset that was designated RP so that members of the roleplaying community can find each other and engage in playing the game while in-character - talking like they believe their character would, not referencing things from the outside world without putting it in (( )) to signify that they are speaking out of character or OOC.

Generally speaking in my experience, the community seems to be better on these servers as opposed to the average PVE or PVP server.. but that certainly isn't always the case.

After the first 60 days, EME has said that they will allow people to report names that are considered inappropriate.. not necessarily offensive.. but names that players feel are out of place in the game world.. stupid character names.. like Im.with.stupid or big.johnson would be examples of names that might get reported. In terms of actual server mechanics, though.. they are identical to PVE servers.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to create a character there and try out.

2San

So am i correct in understanding that Slayer is the most fun/easy class to solo with? I need something to waste time on for the next few weeks and was thinking of trying this game.
Yeah, it's generally regarded as the easy class to play, this mostly because pretty much anything they do leads a knock down which is especially useful on higher levels. Hard to say if it's more fun then other classes, since the other classes offer something different. All in all you can't go wrong with a slayer. What ever you pick be sure to play a DD though if you're mostly going to solo.

Justin

Yeah, it's generally regarded as the easy class to play, this mostly because pretty much anything they do leads a knock down which is especially useful on higher levels. Hard to say if it's more fun then other classes, since the other classes offer something different. All in all you can't go wrong with a slayer. What ever you pick be sure to play a DD though if you're mostly going to solo.

What is a DD? I assumed it was a race but I dont see any of them matching DD.

Does the Amazon Digital Collectors Edition not have all the extras as the physical copy?

I noticed I don't have the Grey mount or wheel earrings mentioned on Atari's page. Weird.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Damage dealer. DPS.

Slayer, Zerk, Sorc, Archer, and kind of Warrior.

By kind of he means if you go the dps route, they are kinda more of a support dps. They still do solid damage when maxed out on gear. The lancers end debuff and the warriors stacking makes them work really really well together. Warrior also can help in times anything add related shows up.

Chris Hager said:
I want to chime in on this because this is something that everyone is clearly passionate about (as am I.) The maintenance we had early was to address the exploit to stop people from using it.

We're currently in the exploration phase to see how widespread this exploit was, who used it, and where the items are now. Once we gather this data we'll be taking care of it. We have to understand and be confident we're changing the right people and equipment and not potentially punishing innocent people because we wanted a quick answer vs. the right one.

I wish they would perma-ban every single last one of them. It looks like they're going to revert their enchantments at the least.

NeOak

Does the Amazon Digital Collectors Edition not have all the extras as the physical copy?

I noticed I don't have the Grey mount or wheel earrings mentioned on Atari's page. Weird.

All the collectors editions are the same in terms of what you get in-game. The difference is the physical extras and having a box to show.

I wish they would perma-ban every single last one of them. It looks like they're going to revert their enchantments at the least.

Unfortunately I'm sure EME loves their money too much to permanently ban them. Even Blizzard with their 10 million WoW subscribers are afraid to ban lots of people for cheating and exploiting. At best they'll get their equipment rolled back. It would be hilarious if EME trolled the exploiters by deleting all exploited gear and saying "Oops, we can't revert anything, so we're just deleting all the exploited equipment from characters! Have fun starting from scratch!"

Izayoi

Banned
Fuck yeah. Needs a lot of work still, going to take a few thousand more gold to get the right +6 and +9, but at least the hard part is done.

9ftl7c.png

108xysj.png

Visceir

Also the most versatile, methinks. The gap-closers make you very mobile, high damage output for single targets/groups and the stuns/knockdowns allow you to tank stuff easily and take on tougher monsters...also useful in groups when things get out of control and you can lock down monsters with stuns or hold down the boss to do more damage.

Currently my slayer is powerful enough to pretty much finish off any normal monster before they can ever touch me. I've been valued in all parties/groups I've ended up in and usually manage to do enough dmg to steal aggro from tank (seeing if I can has almost turned into a minigame for me, haha).

Backstab, gap closers and the stuns make pvp quite easy.

Slayers are pretty much awesome at anything and everything.

Westlo

Except for getting into instances quickly versus the 10 other Slayers LFGing along with you.

That's the reason why my Slayer is @ 32 and my Warrior is now @ 25... I would roll a Warrior over Slayer right now.. at least when Pt 2 of the current update goes live you have the option to tank and gain access to instant queues.

Visceir

Except for getting into instances quickly versus the 10 other Slayers LFGing along with you.

That depends more from you as a player and how well you can sell yourself, really. While doing non-instance quests I often teamed up with Lancers/healers and left a good impression of myself during dungeon runs. Many of them ended up in my friend's list and now I can just party/queue with them.

May be its just my bad luck, but finding groups here at 50 has become really hard. Past two days I have given up because I was to complete the story group quests.

Okay I have a question. I have two characters both of them are Baraka, love the way they look. But, when I pvp it seems that when someone is right on top of me I literally cannot connect a blow. Is this because my character is taller then the rest? I even tested it, if someone else is on top of me my shield won't block my spells won't land and hits won't connect despite the cursor being over the opponent.

Loginius

Okay I have a question. I have two characters both of them are Baraka, love the way they look. But, when I pvp it seems that when someone is right on top of me I literally cannot connect a blow. Is this because my character is taller then the rest? I even tested it, if someone else is on top of me my shield won't block my spells won't land and hits won't connect despite the cursor being over the opponent.

are you duelling in a city by any chance?

Effect

Okay finally out of Fey Forest. I'm hoping area chat improves but I really doubt it. I think I'm leveling right along with this particular group of foul mouths. :( One of the reasons why I enjoy MMOs is being able talk with other players about most things that interest me (gaming, movies, and even books from time to time among other things) because I really can't with people I work with do to work, etc. However sex talks and insults/juvenile jokes back and forth isn't what I had in mind. I'm enjoying the game but having area chat off (which has made me focus more on the story and quest text) and being in a guild that doesn't seem that talkative because of the time I'm on (might be leaving them tonight and looking for another) or they're busy leveling makes this feel like a single player game and that would be the reason I stop playing or don't continue pass the full month. I guess I could start over on a new server but rather not go through the content I just did again. Which is why I'm sticking just to my berserker.

Ken

Okay finally out of Fey Forest. I'm hoping area chat improves but I really doubt it. I think I'm leveling right along with this particular group of foul mouths. :( One of the reasons why I enjoy MMOs is being able talk with other players about most things that interest me (gaming, movies, and even books from time to time among other things) because I really can't with people I work with do to work, etc. However sex talks and insults/juvenile jokes back and forth isn't what I had in mind. I'm enjoying the game but having area chat off (which has made me focus more on the story and quest text) and being in a guild that doesn't seem that talkative because of the time I'm on (might be leaving them tonight and looking for another) or they're busy leveling makes this feel like a single player game and that would be the reason I stop playing or don't continue pass the full month. I guess I could start over on a new server but rather not go through the content I just did again. Which is why I'm sticking just to my berserker.

Why not join the GAF guild?

Did you randomly choose a server to roll on?

Effect

Why not join the GAF guild?

Did you randomly choose a server to roll on?

No made all my characters on Dragonfall. Had my sorcerer in the guild but deleted the character. However at the time I was one with that character most of the talk was about weapons and stats I think. Might try to get my character back in if there is still room and see how that goes.

In beta the chat seemed to be comprised of 4chan.

elwes

Played with the worst slayer ever last night. My friend is a lancer, so when we do instances, he's generally the party leader and he does a great job marking enemies and pulling them with the leash and keeping max hate on himself. This stupid slayer is running into full rooms, aggroing everything in them, and perpetually put our party into a state of disarray due to unwanted adds and being constantly overwhelmed with 4-6 mobs at all times. We managed to get through it, but some of the lower level guys that were just getting into the SM instance were dying right and left.

When I finally said something, the dude had the audacity to say "It's not my fault the tank can't keep up and I pull hate because of how much damage I do."

Then, when our mystic kept on wiping and myself and my friend kept on rezzing him, the mystic thanked us for the raises (mind you, he was wiping because our party was being overwhelmed by adds caused by the slayer), and the slayer's response was "You never need to thank anyone when you're a healer. We should be thanking you for choosing to play as a healer."

Stupid ass, diva slayer. Stay away from "Swimsuit."

Aside from that ass, partying with randoms has been great. I've met some pretty cool people.

And my apologies to the people that asked "Doomfist" and "Blaze" to do SM last night. I believe one of them was "Ceax." At that point, we had done SM 6 times, as well as attempted to duo it twice, only to get wiped out by the Countess boss and her stupid minions. We were both pretty fatigued on that instance at that point. But if anybody needs an archer and tank combo to get through it for quests, hit us up.

Loginius

I'm still in the starter zone so there or nearby wherever someone accepted.

in citys character collision is deaktivated, making most blocks and lancer attacks useless, your Problem sounds exactly like this.

If the same thing happens outside of citys I have no Idea what could be the cause.
The bigger Frame that barakas have could lead to enemys standing "inside" you when your blocking but you should not take any damage.

elwes

Speaking of hit detection, I had a question about hit boxes.

If, for example, I have an elin slayer, and I were to make an aman or baraka slayer, will there be a noticeable reach advantage to the aman or baraka's sword attacks? Seems like if that were the case, that playing the smaller races puts you at a distinct disadvantage on classes like slayers or lancers that have attacks and abilities that would benefit from a larger reach or area of presence.

2San

Speaking of hit detection, I had a question about hit boxes.

If, for example, I have an elin slayer, and I were to make an aman or baraka slayer, will there be a noticeable reach advantage to the aman or baraka's sword attacks? Seems like if that were the case, that playing the smaller races puts you at a distinct disadvantage on classes like slayers or lancers that have attacks and abilities that would benefit from a larger reach or area of presence.
Yup, you have different attack animations to take into account as well. Smaller races have a smaller hitbox though so they aren't really at a disadvantage. How much of advantage or disadvantage this really gives, I have no idea.

I remember the human female and castanic female hitbox being mixed up btw(they might have fixed it by now).

Top Bottom