• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

elwes

Hit 27 with my archer and headed out into Poporia for the ordinary quest line. OK, the armor that looked good has taken a turn for the worse - I am now wearing a pink-ish unitard armor set that looks like a cross between a gimp costume and a ballet dancer's tutu.

I'm level 31 on my archer...I'm still wearing armor that looks pretty cool, but dyed it pink to be ironic. :lol

Seems like I should have waited for my next armor upgrade and saved 1 gold on the dye.

Also, I've found out that solo'ing BAM's as a Priest is very doable, but no matter how many times I tried to solo those big, fat purple dudes around level 20-22, they always land a lucky "jump attack" on me and I get one-shotted. So friggin' frustrating. Otherwise, solo'ing as priest is awesome. The "3 meter in front of you lightning spell" does so much damage. I can wreck single mobs, and take a group of mobs down to almost half health with one cast.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm level 31 on my archer...I'm still wearing armor that looks pretty cool, but dyed it pink to be ironic. :lol

Seems like I should have waited for my next armor upgrade and saved 1 gold on the dye.

Also, I've found out that solo'ing BAM's as a Priest is very doable, but no matter how many times I tried to solo those big, fat purple dudes around level 20-22, they always land a lucky "jump attack" on me and I get one-shotted. So friggin' frustrating. Otherwise, solo'ing as priest is awesome. The "3 meter in front of you lightning spell" does so much damage. I can wreck single mobs, and take a group of mobs down to almost half health with one cast.

You are among friends here. No need to hide your feeling behind the wall of irony.

Also, yes, I played a sorcerer on the weekend and soloing as a priest is so much easier. I am even careless now.

Izayoi

Banned
Light armor actually ends up being the most modest for females at endgame, but it definitely gets worse for every race except Elin (who consistently remain the best-dressed females for the entire game) before it gets better again. Castanic females still have awful armor, but it's better than the level 50 and 58 stuff by a lot.
popori_f_l20.jpg
human_f_l19.jpg
highelf_f_l21.jpg

I also purchased during the Amazon discount and rolled a pvp server thinking it'd be a similar system as aoc with open world pvp. Is this not the case? I just read somewhere you have to buy expensive consumable items that you have to use on someone just to attack them in PVP zones and on top of that your movement is reduced by 50 percent?! Someone please tell me I've misread.

I also purchased during the Amazon discount and rolled a pvp server thinking it'd be a similar system as aoc with open world pvp. Is this not the case? I just read somewhere you have to buy expensive consumable items that you have to use on someone just to attack them in PVP zones and on top of that your movement is reduced by 50 percent?! Someone please tell me I've misread.
Not sure where you got that info. At Level 11 you get a free skill that makes you hostile and allows you to attack anyone else level 11 or over and outside of a safe zone (like towns and camps). Movement speed isn't affected at all other than putting you in the slower combat speed (which happens anytime you're in combat).

Kokonoe

Banned
The slayer? The slayer didn't feel good until level 16 when you unlock that Overhead Strike or w/e it's called which is combo'd into by a lot of things. Then when you glyph it for a chance to reset cooldown, it becomes even more awesome. Slayer to me is basically chaining 3 or more skills for a lot of damage, and then roll out of the way or do your leap back stun and set up for another combo.

Guess i'll get to 16 today. (Or hopefully 20 for the Lion mount)

Not sure where you got that info. At Level 11 you get a free skill that makes you hostile and allows you to attack anyone else level 11 or over and outside of a safe zone (like towns and camps). Movement speed isn't affected at all other than putting you in the slower combat speed (which happens anytime you're in combat).

Thank you! Good news. It was a guide on teracodex.com

Izayoi

Banned
That's how it was in K-TERA... over a year ago. The items weren't even that expensive.

The PvP now is penalty-free open FFA.

Lebron

Hit 27 with my archer and headed out into Poporia for the ordinary quest line. OK, the armor that looked good has taken a turn for the worse - I am now wearing a pink-ish unitard armor set that looks like a cross between a gimp costume and a ballet dancer's tutu.
Got to get them blues and oranges man.

Izayoi

Banned
The entire area around Bastion, including Balder's Temple, is probably my favorite place in the game.

1m1be4.png

tera2012-05-1505-16-2q6i6i.png

tera2012-05-1505-17-0mae9t.png

So close... I have a feeling the last jump is going to be really brutal.

81aaae.png

Einbroch

Banned
So, back to Tera.

D3 is...wow. Just not what I was expecting.

Legendaries have random stats? Errors out the ass? Melee completely worthless at high levels? It's like they didn't even try.

Lolerzors

So I bought this game during the sale and I'm now lvl 21. I read on the site guide that you're supposed to be introduced to glyphs at lvl 20, but I never had any quest about them?

elwes

I do like healing! Hmmmm...

I think it depends on how you plan to play the character. If you plan on rolling with parties most of the time, a slayer is fine. I re-rolled priest as my alt because I was going to be doing a lot of solo'ing and the slayer's high risk/reward style of play meant I was taking a ton of damage if I wasn't on my game with dodging.

If you have other people to help you kill faster, tank for you, or provide heals, slayers seem awesome.

Solo'ing as a priest is incredibly easy (at least right now), and when i want to party, I swap out my skill bar and put him into healing mode and completely change my play style. Everything else I have played has had me retain the same role 95% of the time, regardless of if I'm partying or not.

Havent seen much Vanarch election chatters / campaigns at all in-game... maybe I'm just playing on the quiet time zones?

Did see GMs kicking players who used the LFG tab for regular banter, last weekend. Was quite amusing : )

elwes

Havent seen much Vanarch election chatters / campaigns at all in-game... maybe I'm just playing on the quiet time zones?

Did see GMs kicking players who used the LFG tab for regular banter, last weekend. Was quite amusing : )

I noticed my first Vanarch campaigning a few days ago. People walking around outside of towns, saying it was under the protection of "such and such" guild. I also noticed a lot of people saying in area chat to whisper to them if they needed information or help.

Visceir

I didn't like my slayer. Got it to level 15 or 16 and found it kind of dull. I'm not also not a fan of having to build up my MP for attacks. Make a Priest!

MP regen crystals in weapons, use them.

4 BT runs, 3 of those no enigmatic weapon dropped /weep

So I bought this game during the sale and I'm now lvl 21. I read on the site guide that you're supposed to be introduced to glyphs at lvl 20, but I never had any quest about them?

Go to velika and talk to the main quest guy there. He will give you the glyphs quest/free glyph. You can buy glyphs in Velika, where the skill npc is.

What's the best melee class in the game so far? I'm stuck between choosing a Warrior, Beserker, or Slayer. Not a fan of playing defensively with the Lancer.

Sblargh

Banned
Btw, while soloing as a priest is brain-dead easy against normal mobs, you absolutely can't solo BAMs (which I did with my sorcerer) because your stuff is not very agile and you will take a lot of hits while dealing damage, it's just that you heal afterwards after you quickly kill everything; since you can't quickly kill a BAM and you are the squishest squish there is, you are basically dealing 1% damage while trying not to be hit once.

Visceir

Soloed some lvl 60 Arzakaar Guardian BAMs (the ones that turn into spaceships and fly around). Reminded me why I love the combat in the game so much. Reading the movements, knowing which attacks to interrupt with stuns, which ones to dodge, when to get up close and when to strafe to the side and the whole time trying to find your way behind the BAM's back to deal that extra crit damage. Fortunately slayers have all kinds of options to avoid attacks.

My slayer already downs them quite fast, makes me quite excited thinking how fast I'll be able to down them once I actually have the T12 enig weapon and all the proper crystals.

Did some pvp after that with my guild, being in a party of 3 with another slayer and priest. Taking down random players who were leveling solo wasn't all that fun for me but eventually we stumbled on a party of four (priest, slayer, lancer, sorc) and fighting them was actually really exciting. We managed to take down their priest rather quickly and after that they didn't really stand a chance.

Oh and...6 BT runs, 4 of those runs no enig weapon dropped. Once a sorc weapon dropped and once a lance. Still no weapon for me, FML :(

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
With duo, the monster aggro at the mystic and at the dps interchangeably (monster rarrrrghh at me when I drop red balls). So gotta learn to watch monster's behaviours well, and have the teleport jaunt downpat.

The mystic's spells are not as damaging as the priest's though, and soloing at a higher level as a mystic takes patience. Still, this is definitely my favourite play style, hands down : )

Tonight we are going to take down some Nagas at the frosty place : D

Ohhh I hope the naga run went good!

Thanks for all the info on higher level mystics. Can't wait! Even though that comment about mystic's need patience at higher levels compared to a priest should make me go 'ewww' it actually makes me go "oooooo I wanna see' :D

I think you will like the lancer! Let me know how it goes when you make one!!

Effect

Think I'm going to end up deleting my sorcerer. Like the damage but don't care for the kitting I have to do with enemies. My berserker has been a lot more enjoyable. Got him up to where I was in the beta (level 14). Will be getting rid of my mystic as well I think. To slow and to much kitting for my taste. That's just going to leave the zerker with the warrior and archer waiting in the wings. Will likely keep the archer (though kitting might an issue here) as I like the female design. So she might just sit in the character select and not be used. I'll hold off using the warrior for a while until I get higher. Then I'll start leveling her up.

Xilium

How hard is it to tank in this game? Right now I'm playing a Sorc (my usual class choice when a decent pet class isn't available) but I'm thinking of doing something different and rolling a lancer as well. I'm guessing you have to actively block attacks. Just want to know what I may be getting into since I doubt you can solo effectively with a lancer (I usually solo most things).

elwes

Btw, while soloing as a priest is brain-dead easy against normal mobs, you absolutely can't solo BAMs (which I did with my sorcerer) because your stuff is not very agile and you will take a lot of hits while dealing damage, it's just that you heal afterwards after you quickly kill everything; since you can't quickly kill a BAM and you are the squishest squish there is, you are basically dealing 1% damage while trying not to be hit once.

While I said solo'ing BAM's as a priest is doable, I didn't say it was easy. :p

It's time consuming, exhausting, and if you screw up once, you're probably going to die. I highly doubt I'd be able to solo BAM's at a higher level, but the first few you encounter can be done if you're on top of your shit.

Ken

How hard is it to tank in this game? Right now I'm playing a Sorc (my usual class choice when a decent pet class isn't available) but I'm thinking of doing something different and rolling a lancer as well. I'm guessing you have to actively block attacks. Just want to know what I may be getting into since I doubt you can solo effectively with a lancer (I usually solo most things).

Hold right MB to bring up shield. Press AoE taunt whenever it's up. Press leash to stun/interrupt/get a mob back on me. Apply Debilitate debuff constantly. Not too hard to tank as a lancer.

Questing alone is a pain because of how low the lancer's damage is. Trying to kill 12 of the same mob gets tiring, and even more so when you're asked to kill 12 more of the same thing after. Only tip is to find people killing the same mob as you and ask them to party with you. That's how I've quested like 90% of the time.

Hold right MB to bring up shield. Press AoE taunt whenever it's up. Press leash to stun/interrupt/get a mob back on me. Apply Debilitate debuff constantly. Not too hard to tank as a lancer.

Questing alone is a pain because of how low the lancer's damage is. Trying to kill 12 of the same mob gets tiring, and even more so when you're asked to kill 12 more of the same thing after. Only tip is to find people killing the same mob as you and ask them to party with you. That's how I've quested like 90% of the time.

How do you learn to handle BAMs like Malgarios at SM though? I've ran through SM with good lancers and HORRIBLE ones. To leash him you gotta time it right to interrupt it, right? A noob lancer would have been pretty grasping at his first go or two.

Of course now that people have figured to just kite him to the second small room before the big hall, it solves the need to interrupt him summoning his adds. But still, lancer seems to me precariously hard to play well.

Ken

How do you learn to handle BAMs like Malgarios at SM though? I've ran through SM with good lancers and HORRIBLE ones. To leash him you gotta time it right to interrupt it, right? A noob lancer would have been pretty grasping at his first go or two.

Of course now that people have figured to just kite him to the second small room before the big hall, it solves the need to interrupt him summoning his adds. But still, lancer seems to me precariously hard to play well.

Like you said, just have the lancer aggro him to the small room. If the lancer is constantly using his AoE taunt, then the only reason the boss would turn around is to

1) Do his spin attack.
2) Leave to summon.

Also, the unglpyhed leash has an 18m range (21 with glyph) which gives the lancer at least 2-3 seconds to leash him when he starts running. Aside from that, I guess he doesn't have as obvious a tell as the CR bonus boss' summon.

Aaah, I see. So, when he spins around, you get ready with Leash. Thanks! (Helpful tips for my up-and-coming lancer!)

: )

... what's the CR boss' tell for the summon adds? Is it that obvious?

(We ran CR twice, and both times we completed it with two different lancers that let the adds spawned that I didn't have time to observe the bosses well...)

Ken

Aaah, I see. So, when he spins around, you get ready with Leash. Thanks! (Helpful tips for my up-and-coming lancer!)

: )

... what's the CR boss' tell for the summon adds? Is it that obvious?

(We ran CR twice, and both times we completed it with two different lancers that let the adds spawned that I didn't have time to observe the bosses well...)

When his chest fills up with a glowing blue ball, he usually turns around to walk towards the center. When I see the ball, I usually just hold down block and get ready to leash.

Loginius

I dont think a lacer should use his aoe taunts every time theyre not on cd.
He should use it to pull groups that consist of many small enemys (the short cd one) or as a "oh shit" button (the long cd one that guarantees aggro) when you loose aggro.
In most cases you can hold aggro just fine against bosses without it and NOT using it gives you more time/opportunities to block/cc or just to do some damage making the kill so much faster.
Imo those things will make you a way better lancer than just using the shout all the time (even if you just care about holding aggro using the shout will make you vulnerable for the cast time as you cant cancel it with block, meaning you will recive more damage which then leads to the healer having to heal you and therefore might even make you loose aggro)

Soloing as a lancer is pretty easy (you can basically block every attack any mob in the game trows at you so you should never die, even against BAMs or Worldbosses) but it will take quite some time to kill stuff making it a slow process in comparison to the dd classes.

Yea, enigmatic weapons are from BT boss, armor is from Fane. With the Fane boss there is a 1/3 chance that it will drop armor for your class. With the BT boss the chance is much smaller as there are 8 different weapon drops and also a chance that no enigmatic weapon drops. BT boss is also much harder to beat, especially if you're doing it with pugs. I'm rather curious of what's the % of groups who actually finish the last boss as there have been quite a few times where the party I've been in has just failed to kill it and people have given up.

There have been people in my party who have gotten their weapon on the first run, I've yet to get mine after 18+ runs.

The Fane boss doesn't have an exact 1/3 chance to drop Metal, Leather, or Cloth. In general, the boss drops Leather and Cloth much more frequently than it drops Metal. I ran Fane for more than a week before giving up and just buying my fucking Quietus Plate.

The BT boss doesn't have an exact 1/8 chance to drop each weapon type. After running BT until I was bored sick of it, I just bought my fucking Aestivax. Running BT is fairly routine with my guild, as everyone knows what they are doing and are all generally Fane-geared and have their BT enigmatics and just doing it for enchant fodder, but that doesn't make the drop rate any less shitty.

Fortunately on VoT item prices are generally very reasonable due to heavy server population and lots of people running these dungeons. It was much easier to buy the stuff I needed rather than continue to bash my head against the shitty drop rate over and over again.

The problem now is trying to enchant all my stuff, having spent all my gold on the gear itself I don't have any left to actually enchant everything past +6, since you need to buy 12 Refined Alkahest per attempt past +6 and that comes out to 252 gold per attempt. I've gotten the axe to +8 but I heard the chances of +8 to +9 are very bad, on the order of ~10%, which means on average someone needs ~2,520 gold to to get to +9. Grinding for gold at endgame is an intense form of suffering. Gold rains from the sky onto you starting around level 40 all the way until 60, but then the gold supply just dries up.

The game has been heavily Westernized from 1-60, but once you get to 60 you are facing a seriously Korean gear grind. My reward for actually enchanting all this stuff, mind you, is to run Hardmode versions of the same dungeons I've already been running. I'm actually not sure what EME was intending by making it so easy to level from 1-60 and then having nothing for you to do at endgame except run a couple of dungeons and do dailies. Everyone hit the cap in a week, ran the same 2 dungeons over and over for a week, and then Diablo III came out and the servers have all emptied. I refuse to use the IMS to look for groups, because I'm a zerker and that usually means waiting 2 hours for the queue to pop only to be instantly kicked by the lancer. So essentially I log on, look for a guild party, get some guildies together, run my 2 dungeons, nothing useful for me drops, I'm too poor to continue enchanting my stuff, then I get bored and log off. I'm planning on keeping my monthly sub for 1 month just to get the Golden Dragon weapon skins, but after that there is literally no reason to keep playing until they start patching in the Korean content which was left out of our NA/EU release.

In terms of releasing an MMO against a stiff competitor without thinking through exactly the timing of progression and the endgame, EME pretty much blundered as much as they possibly could by putting Tera against D3 and also not having all the Korean endgame content ready to go at launch like BGs, Training Ground, and Nexus. There is NOTHING TO DO except run Fane of Kaprima and Balder's Temple at endgame and do dailies, unless you feel like going to get your ass handed to you at Kelsaik's Nest. Crystal prices being what they are, going to Kelsaik's Nest to die repeatedly will easily cost you hundreds of gold until you either kill him for nothing good (his drops are the same as the robot's from BT) or give up.

En Masse didn't help themselves by moving a bunch of the higher level dungeons down.

There's zero reason to run those at story level (level 48 hard mode, WTF) and they didn't even fix the quests in the areas they yoinked them from.

Ricker

Gotta wait until friday

Speaking of the Vanarch election,I saw that it costs 30k gold just to apply?? and you guys did that...I don't have a lot of gold(I think I'm close to 100 gold)...how did you get 30k,or did I read that wrong?...I can contribute some of my measly 100 gold if it will help a bit.

Also on Dragonfall,SomethingTerrable I think it's called will probably win,if you go by the praises but Believe is in the top 10 so do we have a chance at something assured or could the guild come up empty handed?

Speaking of the Vanarch election,I saw that it costs 30k gold just to apply?? and you guys did that...I don't have a lot of gold(I think I'm close to 100 gold)...how did you get 30k,or did I read that wrong?...I can contribute some of my measly 100 gold if it will help a bit.

It's 3,000 gold, and it's not meant for a single person to pay but rather for an entire guild to contribute to get one person elected.

Top Bottom