• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

glaurung

Area chat is appalling. I edited the Combat chat tab to include more stuff, like party messages and whispers and item/experience gain.

Hit lv30 last night, but the amount of new gear dropped has kind of dwindled. I am still using the lv25 enchanted bow from the First Enchant quest line. And my armor is also getting old.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
I tried to switch servers to VoT yesterday, but I guess I need to clean out my trade broker items first. What happens if someone on VoT has my name?

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
Area chat is appalling. I edited the Combat chat tab to include more stuff, like party messages and whispers and item/experience gain.

Hit lv30 last night, but the amount of new gear dropped has kind of dwindled. I am still using the lv25 enchanted bow from the First Enchant quest line. And my armor is also getting old.

Hunter's Hexage's can help to buff your weapon. The majority of monsters are "normal" so these crystal come in very handy. Of course this also makes them pricey on the market. I think a lvl 23 hexage is around 5.2% additional damage and they can stack.

Effect

You can turn it off.

True however unless you are in a talkative guild it makes the game a very solitary experience even if you see other players running around. That's with any MMO though I've found and general talk is what keeps me in a MMO for more then a month at a time.

Managed to log on earlier yesterday and things were better with guild chat of the guild I'm in. People were more talkative and I guess me logging in after 10pm was the problem. So as long as things stay that way I can toggle Area chat off and on without much trouble. Or at least switch to a tab that doesn't have it turned on. That also means not playing everyday as I want to play other things and playing those games later after Tera isn't going to be doable compared to playing Tera after them. Was getting really tired trying to play Monster Hunter last night. That's a pretty slow and isolated experience. Combine that with being tired in general made me want to sleep all that much more. So need to pick some days where I'll really play it. I'm level 16 now so I'm getting close to when I can do dungeons and want to block out a decent amount of time for that.

2San

Saw someone talking about Runescape last night. Holy shit.
Tera area chat is a special kind of crazy and seemingly this is true across all NA/EU servers. Wondering if the RP server is different.
True however unless you are in a talkative guild it makes the game a very solitary experience even if you see other players running around. That's with any MMO though I've found and general talk is what keeps me in a MMO for more then a month at a time.

Managed to log on earlier yesterday and things were better with guild chat of the guild I'm in. People were more talkative and I guess me logging in after 10pm was the problem. So as long as things stay that way I can toggle Area chat off and on without much trouble. Or at least switch to a tab that doesn't have it turned on. That also means not playing everyday as I want to play other things and playing those games later after Tera isn't going to be doable compared to playing Tera after them. Was getting really tired trying to play Monster Hunter last night. That's a pretty slow and isolated experience. Combine that with being tired in general made me want to sleep all that much more. So need to pick some days where I'll really play it. I'm level 16 now so I'm getting close to when I can do dungeons and want to block out a decent amount of time for that.
Does your guild have mumble? It might nice to be in a guild that has that for background chatter.

Visceir

lvl 28 Gold items from SM Dungeon/Broker are your best option until you get the lvl 32/33 quest weapons/armor from cutthroat harbor.

Effect

Tera area chat is a special kind of crazy and seemingly this is true across all NA/EU servers. Wondering if the RP server is different.

Does your guild have mumble? It might nice to be in a guild that has that for background chatter.

I could check but honestly I don't like voice chat in MMOs after a day of talking with teachers, fellow IT, students, and family. Seeing the actual text from other players is usually enough for me. Don't need to hear people breathing into their mics even if it's low, pause as they speak, etc.

2San

I could check but honestly I don't like voice chat in MMOs after a day of talking with teachers, fellow IT, students, and family. Seeing the actual text from other players is usually enough for me. Don't need to hear people breathing into their mics even if it's low, pause as they speak, etc.
Fair enough.

Kareha

Any of the EU players on the Velik server, if so say hi to me whenever I'm on Cthuga (Slayer) or Ohana (Sorc). Got other char's but tbh I can't remember all their names as those 2 are my most played.

elwes

I actually love area chat, primarily because it's like a conscious stream of unintelligent thought with random people interjecting new topics every 5 minutes, steering the runaway train of ignorance down a different path.

I like to jump in every once in awhile and say something completely inane and see how people react.

Rinoa

I have my Priest at 28ish for the first time.

I've noticed some funny things:
- if I'm running out of MP from spam curing a tank, they must really suck
- I do more damage than a Warrior

This is why I don't join chats in MMOs w/strangers. After a long day more conversation is the last thing I need!

TERA needs a 'chatter' serverwide chat. It should be separate from LFG, and once that's in place, with the backing of strict rules on what goes on LFG it should discourage kids from spamming about Naruto.

Westlo

I actually love area chat, primarily because it's like a conscious stream of unintelligent thought with random people interjecting new topics every 5 minutes, steering the runaway train of ignorance down a different path.

I like to jump in every once in awhile and say something completely inane and see how people react.

Pretty much the same here, area/lfg chat can liven things up while killing mobs... I love to join in on the trolling @ times.

Any tips on soloing Ovoliths?
I've tried my hand on the ones outside of Sinestral Manor on Slayer, but holy hell, their attack patterns are so freaking random and nearly untelegraphed.

elwes

archer aren't very good in this game are they?

I have a level 32 archer and I'm enjoying it.

I haven't read a ton about the class at later levels and if it stacks up to the other DD classes, but I've found that if I'm in a party with other DD's, I support their damage nicely, and if I'm the only DD in a smaller, leveling parties, I put out good enough damage to end fights quickly.

In my opinion, they are like the mystic of the DD classes. They don't do as much damage as a slayer, zerker, or warrior, but they provide support via their traps. At 32, I have a trap that slows enemies, a trap that stuns enemies, as well as an explosive trap. I also have an AoE melee attack that is great for stunning groups of mobs and giving me time to drop traps at their feet.

Their survivability in PVE is pretty good too. Something that I've found is that when I'm in a party and we take on more than we can handle, or a boss has landed a lucky hit and either wiped multiple party members, I have the ability to to kite the boss pretty effectively and give people time to rez the healer or tank.

But playing as archer is also very risky business, since all of my status affecting skills (sans the poison arrow) require me to either get up close, or rely on the tank to lead mobs into my traps.

They are also good at whittling down the health of multiple mobs in a short amount of time.

AoE melee -> Drop explosive trap + slow trap -> Breakaway bolt -> Arrow Valley -> Penetrating shot

= good amount of damage in short amount of time to multiple enemies.

/long post is long.

//bored at work.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I have a level 32 archer and I'm enjoying it.

I haven't read a ton about the class at later levels and if it stacks up to the other DD classes, but I've found that if I'm in a party with other DD's, I support their damage nicely, and if I'm the only DD in a smaller, leveling parties, I put out good enough damage to end fights quickly.

In my opinion, they are like the mystic of the DD classes. They don't do as much damage as a slayer, zerker, or warrior, but they provide support via their traps. At 32, I have a trap that slows enemies, a trap that stuns enemies, as well as an explosive trap. I also have an AoE melee attack that is great for stunning groups of mobs and giving me time to drop traps at their feet.

Their survivability in PVE is pretty good too. Something that I've found is that when I'm in a party and we take on more than we can handle, or a boss has landed a lucky hit and either wiped multiple party members, I have the ability to to kite the boss pretty effectively and give people time to rez the healer or tank.

But playing as archer is also very risky business, since all of my status affecting skills (sans the poison arrow) require me to either get up close, or rely on the tank to lead mobs into my traps.

They are also good at whittling down the health of multiple mobs in a short amount of time.

AoE melee -> Drop explosive trap + slow trap -> Breakaway bolt -> Arrow Valley -> Penetrating shot

= good amount of damage in short amount of time to multiple enemies.

I like playing my archer (level 51 now) too. The traps are useful, and the stun melee is highly effective even against BAMs. I do find it a bit counterintuitive in a way that an archer is way more effective up close than far away. I can understand that in a party to give the archer a bit of risk vs award gameplay to it, but it sure makes soloing a challenge sometimes! Poison Arrow is also very useful, but I believe its usefulness decreases the more you level up.

I can understand how a party leader would rather have something other than an archer though.

Izayoi

Banned
Any tips on soloing Ovoliths?
I've tried my hand on the ones outside of Sinestral Manor on Slayer, but holy hell, their attack patterns are so freaking random and nearly untelegraphed.
It's subtle, but each attack is clearly telegraphed. If you can, find someone fighting one and watch for a while until you've got a pretty decent idea of his tells. If you can't find anyone, aggro one and block or circle kite and observe. The ones that you need to really worry about are the poison spin, the jump, and the one where he hits the ground in front of him a dozen times very quickly. The rolls are annoying, but mostly harmless and easy enough to recover from. When he's below 30% be sure to watch out for his stagger animation, where he shrinks back. If you're not careful he can move too far away from his spawn point and reset.

It's subtle, but each attack is clearly telegraphed. If you can, find someone fighting one and watch for a while until you've got a pretty decent idea of his tells. If you can't find anyone, aggro one and block or circle kite and observe. The ones that you need to really worry about are the poison spin, the jump, and the one where he hits the ground in front of him a dozen times very quickly. The rolls are annoying, but mostly harmless and easy enough to recover from. When he's below 30% be sure to watch out for his stagger animation, where he shrinks back. If you're not careful he can move too far away from his spawn point and reset.

K, thanks for the pointers.
Thus far, I've been able to run up to Kumas, Nagas, Basilisks, and Fimbrilisks and take them on and get their patterns and movements on the fly without missing a beat. Ovoliths had me a little befuddled. I'll watch and learn some more. Patience...

Owensboro

Poporia shocked the crap out of me. When I got the quest to go there I was thinking "Oh man! The home of the Popori? It's going to be all gumdrop forests, candy rainbows, and Chick-Fil-A Dwarf Houses." Then I popped into the zone and it's a freaking drab, depressing, zombie zone. All of the enemies are creepy as hell, especially the "Vampire" things that have mouths in their stomaches, the guys that run around with a bigger guy on their shoulders, or those creepy as hell giant jesters.

I was wondering what the whole story was with that zone. Did it used to be full of rainbows and fun and then was cursed? If it was cursed, does that mean the just recently renamed everything on the map, or were places already called "The Killing Fields" and "The Cliffs of Insanity"? I find the prospect of those places always being called that while the Popori lived there pretty damn funny.

Izayoi

Banned
Why the Frontera hate? I liked it. ;_;
I was wondering what the whole story was with that zone. Did it used to be full of rainbows and fun and then was cursed? If it was cursed, does that mean the just recently renamed everything on the map, or were places already called "The Killing Fields" and "The Cliffs of Insanity"? I find the prospect of those places always being called that while the Popori lived there pretty damn funny.
The entire area used to look like Pora Elinu. You'll find a few split super pretty/dead and depressing zones, and it's the same thing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not gonna lie. Had no interest until I read you can play this game with a 360 controller.

Might snag this weekend.

Sblargh

Banned
Places I hate for sho:
- Frontera (except for heartwood, was that there?)
- Poporia
- Tulufan/desert places

You are the anti-me (haven't been to Frontera).
Poporia have one of the best enemies design ever (the vampyrs, jesters and such) and the desert is a bit of downer because it's just a huge sandbox (specially after Poporia which was so beautiful all around), but I loved the BAMs there. The giants on Tulufan are the best BAMs I encountered so far and the lizards are cool too, with their tail sticking out of the sand and all (also Arena of Terror stands as the only BAM quest to be actually difficult).

Loginius

I have to admit that I hate the emotes in this game... the animations range from nice to funny to cute but those damn sounds they make while executing them completely ruins it.

Ryuuga

Banned
dataxe7xb8m.jpg
Madre de dios...

Elwes, I just realised your avatar is a... err, an opinionated koala : D

Also, I dont mind Poporia so much, but ditto on Tulufan / desert places. They so dry and drabby. Though I did like the first 'dry'ish area (Celestial Hills / Valley of Titans).... maybe cuz it was where the first BAMs were.... lol. Nostalgiaaa

I love the whole lush and beautiful areas, like Pora Elinu and parts of Essenia. The frost / snow areas are also quite nice. But I dislike the Tuwangi swamp areas, for some reasons.

Ryuuga, that's a very pretty screen cap. Where is that taken?

Ryuuga

Banned
Elwes, I just realised your avatar is a... err, an opinionated koala : D

Ryuuga, that's a very pretty screen cap. Where is that taken?

It's the entrance to Balder's Temple. I've been warping there so much I didn't realize how amazing it looks as you approach it.

elwes

What is up with the group search for instances? I used to get into groups instantaneously. This is the fourth time I've been queued for longer than 10 minutes before giving up. I need to do SM on my priest to progress the story. >:O

Lebron

In hindsight, should not have rolled an Archer Popori. All the leather gear looks horrible on me. I don't know why it took so long to realize this. Grrrr, too cheap to pay for the race change though.

iv4ekDTrdFdUu.gif

Scum

Is that 15min "warning" at the start of SA, a warning for the 1st boss or last boss? Incidentally, the PUG I joined just failed miserably. Everyone likes to stand in the stun wave Skulregnath creates. Got nuked by his minions in the end. :-/

Is that 15min "warning" at the start of SA, a warning for the 1st boss or last boss? Incidentally, the PUG I joined just failed miserably. Everyone likes to stand in the stun wave Skulregnath creates. Got nuked by his minions in the end. :-/

A warning - once you attack any boss in there you got 15 minutes before it goes berzerk and one shot you lol. the whole dungeon is pointless. only get a drop at the final boss.

Top Bottom