• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Sblargh

Banned
I got my sorcerer to 27 or 28 today, questing is definetly not-as-good-as-should-be with sorcerer, because it requires a kind of kiting that is way too dependent of where you are fighting. If you have a big open field to run in circles all day, then it's busisness, if you are in a corridor with stuff all around, then you're screwed, because you will attract adds and they will make everything a lot more difficult then it should be. And the group job is a bit weird, too. Big numbers, low risk, until something decides to just take 75% of your life on one swing.

I started a Berseker today, feeling cool, I'm in mostly because of slutty plate armor, tho. :p

Izayoi

Banned
So I've kind of lost motivation to keep going since I'm kind of clueless as to where to go. I just hit 45 after grinding NT a few times. I guess I'm supposed to go to Frontera now. Would it be best to just get back on and start doing those quests or just do NT to 46. I like doing instances since I have a group killing things for me; I hate doing quests alone as a lancer since it takes forever to complete "kill x" quests.

I'm guessing the risk of wiping in SA greatly outweighs the experience gained from the repeatable/time it takes to run through it?
Skip the 45, 52, and 56 instances. They're down-tuned 58 instances and are incredibly difficult with no real reward. If you're really bored and looking for a good challenge, I guess you could try them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The exp from instances is pretty good actually.

At the very least it feels better than grinding repeatables, which will happen around 50-52. even if it may be slower.

Izayoi

Banned
No story quest on them?
Nope. Most of them have just one low-xp yellow quest to complete the instance.

The exp from instances is pretty good actually.

At the very least it feels better than grinding repeatables, which will happen around 50-52. even if it may be slower.
I never had to grind repeatables once while leveling up. If you end up doing repeatables you skipped a zone or missed a story chain somewhere.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I skipped half of the island zone by accident and wound up grinding. So did someone else, who was my grinding partner for a few levels.

It's easy to overlook some quest hubs, since the quest trail becomes a little less obvious as you move on in the game. Especially when you have to split your leveling between multiple zones.

Picked it up last weekend, downloaded, played once, then it locked me out due to subscription not being setup, so I finally set it up a few hours ago (which i have to do from my phone, since it won't let me login to their awful site on my PC) yet it still won't let me login to the game, still says 'Subscription not found or has expired'

*sigh*

2San

So I've kind of lost motivation to keep going since I'm kind of clueless as to where to go. I just hit 45 after grinding NT a few times. I guess I'm supposed to go to Frontera now. Would it be best to just get back on and start doing those quests or just do NT to 46. I like doing instances since I have a group killing things for me; I hate doing quests alone as a lancer since it takes forever to complete "kill x" quests.

I'm guessing the risk of wiping in SA greatly outweighs the experience gained from the repeatable/time it takes to run through it?
Try to group up for the quests as well, it is an MMO after all. Just having 1 more person makes thing a lot more easier. The DD can focus on DD'ing that way as well. Skip the BAM quests though, just not worth the time and effort(unless they give a specific reward you want.
Did some random pvp/ok with my guild today. Mystic and I were just roaming around killing whatever got on our path in the lvl 60 areas. We killed a priest, she returned with 2 more people (sorc and lancer) while I was alone. Obviously they wanted to get revenge, but by the time my outlaw status had gone back to normal. So they flagged outlaw but as they did that I just took out the sorcerer and half way into the fight my mystic friend got back to me and we killed the priest again while the lancer just ran off. With them being red I'm sure they lost a crystal, haha.
It's stuff like this, what I really enjoy in TERA.
We also ran into a party of 3(priest, lancer, zerker) killing a BAM. It was fun fighting 2vs3 with the BAM being aggroed on them.

From what I've seen berserkers seem to be really awful in pvp, it's so easy to dodge their attacks.
Fuck this though. Killing a BAM is a tedious affair and people attacking others while killing a BAM are damn annoying. Luckily all the trash that had the nerve to attack my party got destroyed either way and it's also the only time where I go out my way to trash talk people(since you really have to be trash not to win against a party that's busy attacking a BAM).

Zerks are the one hit wonder class, but yeah I haven't seen one that could land his main attack(thunder strike) on me. I'm a mystic though and my playstyle is being pretty mobile.

95% of the trash in SA is skippable. The bosses don't give a whole lot of experience.

Running it for experience is a waste of time.

Especially after level 50, the game turns into a quest grind.

Kareha

I made an app to join the guild on Dragonfall, name is Kareha, the cute Elin warrior. Noticed it was at the 300 cap so hopefully will be room at some point :)

Azzurri

Picked it up last weekend, downloaded, played once, then it locked me out due to subscription not being setup, so I finally set it up a few hours ago (which i have to do from my phone, since it won't let me login to their awful site on my PC) yet it still won't let me login to the game, still says 'Subscription not found or has expired'

*sigh*

I have this problem too, I contacted support and it's an ongoing problem they're fixing ASAP, is what they told me.

Ken

Maybe it was the time I was on but I saw no one killing mob or responding to my request for a party in first zone of Frontera. I'll try again later.

I got my sorcerer to 27 or 28 today, questing is definetly not-as-good-as-should-be with sorcerer, because it requires a kind of kiting that is way too dependent of where you are fighting. If you have a big open field to run in circles all day, then it's busisness, if you are in a corridor with stuff all around, then you're screwed, because you will attract adds and they will make everything a lot more difficult then it should be. And the group job is a bit weird, too. Big numbers, low risk, until something decides to just take 75% of your life on one swing.

I started a Berseker today, feeling cool, I'm in mostly because of slutty plate armor, tho. :p

I felt the same way with the Sorc and I hadn't even done a dungeon yet. Got to level 25 before I called it quits. Even in big, open spaces I found myself fucked thanks to projectile attacks that lock onto you and make it near impossible to avoid. They keep saying Sorc's get better, but imo, it just gets more and more frustrating as enemies get stronger and mobs get bigger.

Trying out a Beserker, which is somewhat better because I can block whenever I want but I'm still getting my ass kicked by mobs. Slayers not much better. Lancer and Archer are gonna be the last classes before I call it quits. I can't get used to these cooldown mechanics. I like being able to dodge whenever I want like in Vindictus or any other action game.

2San

Maybe it was the time I was on but I saw no one killing mob or responding to my request for a party in first zone of Frontera. I'll try again later.
I guess it depends on if you happen to meet social people or not. My group tends to add Lancers who are willing, since we don't have a lancer or warrior. My party's main lancer outleveled us ages ago, he has trouble finding parties as well(he's playing an alt till we hit his level). Playing a non damage dealing class without a buddy is hard. Still it doesn't hurt to ask around, since doing quests alone just goes way too slow.

People are more willing to add you in an area with BAM's though. Ask them to help you with the normal quests and do the BAM quests together. My group skips BAM quests unless we can find a warrior or Lancer to keep the aggro.

Forkball

I'm level 8 slayer and joined the GAF guild, still on the newbie island. The combat in this game is pretty fun, but I could not care less about these quests. I'm not a big MMO veteran, so having all these active spells I need to deal with is going be something tough to handle down the line. I want to try the controller method next time I play and see how it works, I think this game could be well suited for it.

2San

I'm level 8 slayer and joined the GAF guild, still on the newbie island. The combat in this game is pretty fun, but I could not care less about these quests. I'm not a big MMO veteran, so having all these active spells I need to deal with is going be something tough to handle down the line. I want to try the controller method next time I play and see how it works, I think this game could be well suited for it.
The game does a good job in introducing the skills in a spaced manner, so you aren't overwhelmed(which is kinda an annoyance to me since I like to get all the skills fast). Remember in the options you can tick a box to see a bar that displays all your cooldowns. You took a slayer as well, so things shouldn't get too crazy and is nice on a controller.

Rinoa

Skip the 45, 52, and 56 instances. They're down-tuned 58 instances and are incredibly difficult with no real reward. If you're really bored and looking for a good challenge, I guess you could try them.

I was wondering where the quests for these were. This includes sky garden?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Been busying playing Diablo 3, I went to check out the new item shop they had.

Really? 25 bucks for race change? 10 bucks for weapon skins..... Does it even have different look for different weapon?

Izayoi

Banned
I was wondering where the quests for these were. This includes sky garden?
No. Sky Garden is a level 54 instance with several yellow quests, repeatables, a story quest, and some very decent gear. Definitely worth running a couple of times at least.

cilonen

I'm in, bought the game through en masse in the US so I'll be on those servers. I did sign up on the tera-gaf enjin page just after it got set up, but I've been on a STALKER and Diablo 3 binge since then, still working on Diablo 3 so it'll be a while before I get properly up and running on this but I;ve gone for three months on top of the purchase so I've got some time for it to grab me!

My first MMO; I'll check back in on the enjin page once I roll my first char and get on a bit with noob island. I think I've got a couple of days downloading ahead though first. Once I'm sufficiently up to speed I'll hit up the GAF guild :)

Are we on PvP or PvE?

Scum

For fuck's sake! I spent ages trying to get a group together. So worried about doing it on my own. After a damn long wait I decided to beat it myself...

...and succeed. All that wait! XD

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
You know how often you have to wait for a lancer to show up for a party? I had the luxury of being asked by a lancer to group and we added another lancer too. 2 lancers and 1 archer is certainly a fairly unusual group. This was just for regular questing of course, no BAMs.

Did NT twice last weekend. Got so many gold items, it was super fun.

Actually, twice and a half. Second run had a lancer that quit half-way cuz the first boss only dropped only a bomb loot. LOL. I think it was cuz there were two lvl 48s in the group, whilst the rest of us were still at 44 (including the lancer). The leader was a zerker and he was at 48. The moment the lancer dropped, he dropped too. Party was disbanded, and then I requeued and was grouped up with a lvl 44 lancer. He was super friendly, and was the group leader too. Flawless run, loots were great, friends were added, etc.

Now at Frontera, wading through yellow quests. Man, it's starting to really feel, at the mid 40s, that having a dps partner to level up is invaluable for a support class. I can just imagine slogging through monsters as a solo mystic. It's doable, but it'll take too long and I'm not that patient.

You know how often you have to wait for a lancer to show up for a party? I had the luxury of being asked by a lancer to group and we added another lancer too. 2 lancers and 1 archer is certainly a fairly unusual group. This was just for regular questing of course, no BAMs.

Time taking to do BAM quests has gone up from being readily formed to waiting for hours at least at my level

This is actually the biggest mistake EME made when altering the game for NA/EU release. Instead of giving us more stuff to do at endgame, they instead moved dungeons down into the leveling curve which everyone ignored anyways because quests have been changed to give ungodly amounts of XP and you can easily level 1-60 just by doing quests.

SA in particular is stupid, the bosses there are obviously designed for endgame difficulty level and then they didn't even alter the dropped items properly, the priest and mystic drops in particular from SA are better than just about everything you can get all the way until your level 59 quest gear. They made ET retarded too, is there any particular reason why Kelsaik is now a level 58 story boss and he's harder than the endgame dungeon bosses Kaprima and The Robot?

There are so many things that EME should revert to being like K-Tera. Make all the altered dungeons level 58-60 again would be a nice start so people have other dungeons to run at endgame. As much as I hate to admit it, bring back the Boxes of Mischief, they have a use at endgame for crystal farming because right now some crystals cost hundreds of gold and others are vendor trash. I also wish they would remove the IMS completely, it serves no purpose in this game and encourages people to be douchebags to each other. You would think they learned from WoW that dungeon finders turn anonymous assholes on the Internet into fucking pricks but then again, Brian Knox is the guy who was clueless trying to launch Aion in the west so maybe this is par for course as far as he is concerned.

2San

This is actually (...) he is concerned.
Seems like EME(by extension Frogster) started "westernizing" things without taking into account the affects it has on the game.

The removal of crafting quests, seem to annoy my fellow European players to a great extend as well. I haven't gotten to the point where I have to level 250+ stuff myself though.

Xander51

Happy to be a new member of the guild on Dragonfall. The area chat is...special.

I bought this in the amazon promo yesterday and I've got a warrior up to level 9. I'm excited to get out of the noob area soon and see the rest of the game, really loving it so far. The pace is nice and snappy.

Izayoi

Banned
They made ET retarded too, is there any particular reason why Kelsaik is now a level 58 story boss and he's harder than the endgame dungeon bosses Kaprima and The Robot?
Kelsaik is unaltered, it works exactly like it did in K-TERA. Hardmode Kelsaik still drops Tier 13 gear, and if you're good enough, it's definitely an option as opposed to running the FoK/BT hardmodes.

cilonen

Then welcome to the guild! Your complimentary Elin will be provided to you post-haste.

Haha! Thanks. After leaving the launcher downloading overnight; let's just say I have a lot more downloading to do... like, three days more at my internet speeds!

mileS

Not sure what has changed recently, but my fps for instance boss fights has tanked to like 20-25fps consistently. It was never like that up until level 50 or so. I normally get 45-70 fps running around questing and with parties for BAM's. It seems like something has changed within the past week or two and I'm trying to figure out if its just on my end or if other people are having the same problem. I heard turning off the UI makes the fps go up, yea that normally does from what I've tested, but for some boss fights it doesn't matter. I don't think thats the issue. Already tried that. I've tried running fullscreen windowed mode and normal fullscreen and I don't notice a difference either.

My specs
Intel i5 750 - 2.67GHz
4gb ram
Windows 7 64-bit
radeon 5850 1

Maybe theres some things I can tweak in the S1Engine file to make this better? but I have to figure out what exactly it is first.

PewPewK

Haha! Thanks. After leaving the launcher downloading overnight; let's just say I have a lot more downloading to do... like, three days more at my internet speeds!

Ouch, what do your download speeds look like? Don't mean to be a downer, but this game is very unforgiving to those with high latency.

H3xum

Not sure what has changed recently, but my fps for instance boss fights has tanked to like 20-25fps consistently. It was never like that up until level 50 or so. I normally get 45-70 fps running around questing and with parties for BAM's. It seems like something has changed within the past week or two and I'm trying to figure out if its just on my end or if other people are having the same problem. I heard turning off the UI makes the fps go up, yea that normally does from what I've tested, but for some boss fights it doesn't matter. I don't think thats the issue. Already tried that. I've tried running fullscreen windowed mode and normal fullscreen and I don't notice a difference either.

My specs
Intel i5 750 - 2.67GHz
4gb ram
Windows 7 64-bit
radeon 5850 1

Maybe theres some things I can tweak in the S1Engine file to make this better? but I have to figure out what exactly it is first.

Weekend lag probs

Got my slayer to 25ish and finally able to chain combos.

BUCK.NASTY.

Only bummer is I can drop my entire MP bar (1.5kish) in one combo if I don't throw out some regular hits to regen

LimeD3

Neo Member

Just as a general tip, if you're not downloading at your general speed cap i.e. you're downloading at 100kbps instead of 1mbps, you should turn off Peer2Peer downloading in the options when you are downloading Tera (or any game that uses a Peer2Peer downloader). I went from downloading at 150kbps to 3mbps just by unchecking the Peer2Peer checkbox, and spent the hour it took to download it (down from like 2 days) angrily sipping tea for finding yet another mmo company stupid enough to pull something like that. Whoever originally thought something like that was a good idea should be slapped.

Arcticfox

Is there some secret to leveling Leatherworking? I enjoy crafting in most MMORPGs so I tried to get all the crafting skills up to 50 to start out. Each one was simple except for Leatherworking as I had only found 3 hides during my questing up to level 15. I have piles of leather but can't actually use them for anything.

Is there a certain mob that is best to farm materials from or is the only way to level to buy extra hides off the auction house?

Is there some secret to leveling Leatherworking? I enjoy crafting in most MMORPGs so I tried to get all the crafting skills up to 50 to start out. Each one was simple except for Leatherworking as I had only found 3 hides during my questing up to level 15. I have piles of leather but can't actually use them for anything.

Is there a certain mob that is best to farm materials from or is the only way to level to buy extra hides off the auction house?

I would suggest to not bother with crafting. It is too expensive and not worth it while leveling.

cilonen

Ouch, what do your download speeds look like? Don't mean to be a downer, but this game is very unforgiving to those with high latency.

A suspiciously locked 80kbps - I suspect I'm being throttled on the download by my ISP. Steam downloads I've had 250-300kbps regularly and Diablo 3 (US servers) I usually manage under 300ms latency.

We'll see, I'm still fairly hopeful it'll be OK - I've been having some ISP issues recently related to the whole dismantling of BT's UK monopoly of local high speed broadband infrastructure, it should get better in the near future.

Just as a general tip, if you're not downloading at your general speed cap i.e. you're downloading at 100kbps instead of 1mbps, you should turn off Peer2Peer downloading in the options when you are downloading Tera (or any game that uses a Peer2Peer downloader). I went from downloading at 150kbps to 3mbps just by unchecking the Peer2Peer checkbox, and spent the hour it took to download it (down from like 2 days) angrily sipping tea for finding yet another mmo company stupid enough to pull something like that. Whoever originally thought something like that was a good idea should be slapped.

This is also great to know, thanks. I'm going to try this right away!

2San

Made my first gif of Tera.

ibpuImnAVoVlVB.gif

Love the animation in this game.

Top Bottom