• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

saunderez

Houston3000 said:
Also, I got a message a meteorite crashed in my world but I can't find it. I ran for an entire day/night cycle to one side of my map. I started running to the other side but skipping by all the corruption and huge shadow orb scars is really hard when I'm not taking it slow. I reached my dungeon but didn't go past that. No idea where that Meteorite is :(
Use Map Viewer to generate a wide map of your world. The meteorite will be in pink and be pretty obviously an impact crater. Mine landed right next to some of the corruption holes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Btw, awesome interactive mapping tool:

http://seancode.com/terrafirma/

Highly recommended that you, before generating a map of your world, discover on your own the location of the:

-Dungeon
-Underground Jungle
-Corrupted areas
-At least one sky island

Finding that stuff is a lot of the fun!

Houston3000 said:
Also, I got a message a meteorite crashed in my world but I can't find it. I ran for an entire day/night cycle to one side of my map. I started running to the other side but skipping by all the corruption and huge shadow orb scars is really hard when I'm not taking it slow. I reached my dungeon but didn't go past that. No idea where that Meteorite is :(
It might have hit a floating island, that would be my guess. Also make sure to check behind the dungeon as I just found a meteor today right past my dungeon.

Picked this up last night.

Damn, so addictive. Shouldn't have grabbed it at 9pm, didn't get to bed 'till well after 1am.

Head right from my spawn spot and I'm straight into dark area with those Soul Eater things (think this is corruption?), head left - and I've got corruption on that side of me too.

Chopped down every tree I could safely find, built a home out of the stone I'd mined locally then started mining.

Only found Copper so far and a tiny little pocket of ~10 blocks of Iron, but I've got enough Clay to last me a generation already.

Seems like SO much to do, and it's definitely daunting to start with, not really knowing where to go, what to do, how to do it etc.. Only just read earlier that I can plant trees with the Acorns I was collecting, so it's all new territory.

Can't wait to get home and get back into it.

Quick questions:

Can I force it widescreen? (1680x1050)
How long 'till I'm finding Gold? Is it DEEP underground, or is it just luck of the draw like everything else?

-Deadpool- said:
Quick questions:

Can I force it widescreen? (1680x1050)
How long 'till I'm finding Gold? Is it DEEP underground, or is it just luck of the draw like everything else?
For widescreen, I've found this method works very nicely.

Gold is not too deep underground, but you should see more of it the deeper you go.

dalin80

Banned
Is there anyway to reduce enemy spawn rates in single player? My attempts at exploration keep failing as every trip is spent fighting off a never ending stream of enemies everywhere I go. Once took my an entire ingame day to chop down two trees thanks to constantly having to stop and hack my way through enemies.

saunderez

dalin80 said:
Is there anyway to reduce enemy spawn rates in single player? My attempts at exploration keep failing as every trip is spent fighting off a never ending stream of enemies everywhere I go. Once took my an entire ingame day to chop down two trees thanks to constantly having to stop and hack my way through enemies.
Why aren't you building walled off work areas? It's crucial to do so in the early stages of the game. Later on you'll be able to take enemies out with your pickaxe but in the beginning you should be boxing yourself in while you work on a seam etc.

sixghost

Hawkian said:
Btw, awesome interactive mapping tool:

http://seancode.com/terrafirma/

Highly recommended that you, before generating a map of your world, discover on your own the location of the:

-Dungeon
-Underground Jungle
-Corrupted areas
-At least one sky island

Finding that stuff is a lot of the fun!
Man, that is so damn cool. It's kind of amazing how familiar I am with my entire world.

That said, I had no idea just how god damn big the underground jungle is.

Alright, I found the meteorite, it crash landed just past the dungeon far west. On my way across the corruption I took the opportunity to light and put platforms across the top of all the holes. My Demonscale armor is already better than the meteor armor but I made a sick Hammer Axe and a good amount of Meteor Shot for my gun - may start searching for some floating islands now.

I also apparently need a shit ton of hellstone to do anything. It's coming pretty slow, I can't stay down there long with those damn bone serpents messing up my mining.

Wanace

I finally defeated Skeletron last night. Kinda cheated though. I summoned him and ran into the dungeon, went down and found some chests, one of which had Muramasa or whatever the heck that sword is called. By that time 6 Skeletron heads had spawned and were chasing me and killed me.

I went back home crafted a bunch of big potions, came back the next night, summoned him and spammed the sword and killed him easily. Had full Molten armor too which made a big difference I'm sure.

Now just going to craft some stuff and try to find some more junk and then make a new world where I can build a nice castle. Only have a pretty shitty shack joint with stone walls now.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I can't wait for them to add more content to this. Played it non-stop with a few friends for a couple of days and we're all decked out in molten gear. Here's to hoping for a ton more bosses and biomes.

SmokyDave

This game is fucking up my sleep patterns. I was still up in the early hours of this morning doing suicidal dives into hell to gather the shit to make a flaming pickaxe.

On my latest world I have a shaft that goes from the top of the level right down to hell. It takes about a minute to fall from top to bottom. I love this game.

Hawkian said:
Awesome! Will this interfere with Steam autoupdates?
Unfortunately probably :p You'd likely have to download a new version or something after updating on Steam.

There are some other ways to do it that involve wrappers like this one but I like this one better since I can still launch the game from Steam.

strata8

Treefingers said:
Unfortunately probably :p You'd likely have to download a new version or something after updating on Steam.

There are some other ways to do it that involve wrappers like this one but I like this one better since I can still launch the game from Steam.
Not to mention all the awesome plugins for the API, like a custom server :)

I don't remember seeing it mentioned before, but I just noticed that the plate for Terraria in tile view is fixed. So it must have happened with the last update. The only tile that doesn't look good for me now is the TF2 beta - all the others fill up the whole space properly.

SmokyDave

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I don't remember seeing it mentioned before, but I just noticed that the plate for Terraria in tile view is fixed. So it must have happened with the last update. The only tile that doesn't look good for me now is the TF2 beta - all the others fill up the whole space properly.
That tile drives me utterly mental. Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword is messed up too. I need a digital pickaxe to hack them out of my otherwise gorgeous Steam interface :(

Really glad they sorted it so quickly.

It isn't fixed for me. Mine's is now a poxy little tree icon. >:-[

Edit: Ahh, now it's fixed. Not sure what happened there.

Luigison

I love Terraria so I ran a contest on another forum to give away free copies. Today I went to buy the 4-Pack and Steam won't let me checkout. It says, "According to our records, you already own some of the above items on Steam. You can purchase these items as a gift or adjust the contents of your cart to continue." That's fine, but the "PURCHASE AS A GIFT" button is grayed out. Anyone else have this problem or know a solution. BTW, Steam just updated for me.

Luigison

Bobby Truffles said:
You'll have to gift one copy at a time; you can't gift 4-packs.
That sucks. So I can't purchase the 4-Pack since both the, 'PURCHASE FOR MYSELF', and 'PURCHASE AS A GIFT' are grayed out and I don't see any other option to purchase the 4-pack.

On the store page it says, 'Includes four copies of Terraria - Send the extra copies to your friends.' This mean that since I own the game I can't take advantage of the 4-pack? I see what you are saying, but I interpreted this to mean, 'Includes four copies of Terraria - Send the extra [FOUR] copies to your friends,' not buy one for yourself, three for friends, but you can't get this deal if you already own the game. Do all Steam multi-packs work like this?

Why is it even an option after someone owns the game? Steam should gray it out or remove it from the store page like they do with the demo and wishlist buttons.

Relax.MX

Luigison said:
That sucks. So I can't purchase the 4-Pack since both the, 'PURCHASE FOR MYSELF', and 'PURCHASE AS A GIFT' are grayed out and I don't see any other option to purchase the 4-pack.

On the store page it says, 'Includes four copies of Terraria - Send the extra copies to your friends.' This mean that since I own the game I can't take advantage of the 4-pack? I see what you are saying, but I interpreted this to mean, 'Includes four copies of Terraria - Send the extra [FOUR] copies to your friends,' not buy one for yourself, three for friends, but you can't get this deal if you already own the game. Do all Steam multi-packs work like this?

Why is it even an option after someone owns the game? Steam should gray it out or remove it from the store page like they do with the demo and wishlist buttons.

Maybe you can send the money through paypal to one of the winners(or a friend)...

Finally found some Gold tonight, 8 hours in lol..

Basically just mining straight down now, only returning to unload my inventory and re-stock.

Found a heap of gemstones - what are they for?

Had just enough Gold to fashion a Broadsword, so kicking arse now.

Dropped down a dark pit by accident, landed in water - but had no quick way out and was getting hit by slimes. Died the first time, but I noticed a chest in the water. Returned the next time to find a few gold bars and an Enchanted Boomerang! Pretty awesome.

InertiaXr

-Deadpool- said:
Finally found some Gold tonight, 8 hours in lol..

Basically just mining straight down now, only returning to unload my inventory and re-stock.

Had just enough Gold to fashion a Broadsword, so kicking arse now.

Dropped down a dark pit by accident, landed in water - but had no quick way out and was getting hit by slimes. Died the first time, but I noticed a chest in the water. Returned the next time to find a few gold bars and an Enchanted Boomerang! Pretty awesome.

10 gemstones along with I believe Meteorite Bars make lightsabers.

Concept17

Just got my first hellstone armor and pickaxe. Wishing there was more content as I'm not far from having everything. I'm guessing things go quicker when you're always playing with 2-5 people at a time.

After I finish off my hellstone items, its off to the underground jungle and floating islands as the only things I haven't done yet. =\

Luigison said:
Do all Steam multi-packs work like this?

Yes.

Luigison said:

Yeah, that would be a good idea.

Concept17 said:
Just got my first hellstone armor and pickaxe. Wishing there was more content as I'm not far from having everything. I'm guessing things go quicker when you're always playing with 2-5 people at a time.

After I finish off my hellstone items, its off to the underground jungle and floating islands as the only things I haven't done yet. =\
I'm pretty much at the same point as you, but even though I've reached the endgame there are still a lot of things to do. Personally I'm having fun stockpiling on items and making a mushroom farm, an obsidian generator, etc.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
-Deadpool- said:
I save 10 of each kind of gemstone in case I want to make a lightsaber later.

The leftovers I sell. Some are quite valuable and were helpful in my buying a mini-shark

Soule

So I was just lurking now to see if there was any new news before I went to bed when I saw the little Steam toastie pop up and say it finished downloading Terraria! New patch!

Player

Players can no longer repeatedly double jump after touching the top of the world.

Items

NEW ITEM - Black Lens.
NEW ITEM - Sunglasses.
NEW ITEM - Jungle Armor (This has replaced Cobalt Armor.)
NEW ITEM - (RARE and SECRET Item for casters) Go on! Find it!
Fixed a bug that prevented Underground Jungle Seeds from spawning.
Using the Cloud in a Bottle will now correctly reset fall distance.
Set bonuses that provide more defense, now correctly match their tool-tip.
All armor inventory icons have been improved.
All player armor graphics have been improved.
Iron, gold, meteor, and bone helmets have been changed graphically.
Molten armor’s overall defense has been reduced.
Meteor armor’s set bonus now reduces Space Gun mana cost to 0.
Several magic items have had their damage increased.

NPCs

Added two new rare enemies that can both be found underground.
The Demolitionist is now also triggered to arrive when the players have Sticky Bombs and Grenades in their inventory.
All Skeleton graphics have been changed.
The Guide now has hit and death effects.
The Guide can now be killed by hostile NPCs.

World

Trees now become corrupt instead of being destroyed when touching the corruption. And the new corrupt trees become un-corrupted upon purification.

Server / Multiplayer

Created a console server with no video card requirement. Type help in the console for a full list of server commands.
Increased client side multi-player security, this should help in the battle against broken character files.
There is now a host and play option in the client, that will auto connect you to your own server world upon its creation.
Corrected a bug that was causing the Server to send out liquid as water when it should have been lava.
Clients are now able to connect to ports other than 7777.
Slimes are synced better on multiplayer games.
Accessories now correctly sync between players.
Fixed a bug that would cause the player to get stuck on "Receiving Tile Data" when their spawn is placed near the world edge.
Added -join <ip>, -port <port>, and -pass <password> command line parameters to the client to enable auto-join of servers.

Misc.

The game window is now re-sizable while in windowed mode.
Full-screen resolution can now be changed in the options menu.
Pressing alt+enter to toggle full-screen mode will no longer bring up the chat window.
Fixed several bugs that would crash the game during world generation.

A Note for those of you who want to host a server but don't want to use the 'Host and Play' option. The server software is located in your &#65279;steam folder where the Terraria.exe is. It can be launched from there.

Soule

Oh god just expanded the window, OMG IT LOOKS SO GOOD TO BE OUT OF 800X600 OR WHATEVER THE FUCK IT WAS

caps was necessary to fully express the difference it makes.

Soule

Bobby Truffles said:
Nice! Niiiiiiiiice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoXUzIwXk0
650116_o.gif

Mairu

026818EB7E6F42EACCED56CFB4B04C86CAA41424

It's nice to have a full resolution and not have the stars in the middle. Apologies for the enormous image (but not really, woo)

I don't like the Jungle look over the previous Cobalt armor, hopefully they'll end up putting Cobalt back in somewhere down the line.

PatzCU

@Patch

Sweeeeeet! Great update, especially what I'm hoping is widescreen resolutions support. I'm liking that they are adding a ton of new items. What I'm really hoping for is either more layers of progression to mine through or something like the Nether in Minecraft where we get a whole new world to play in.

Soule

Helmet redesigns look pretty cooooool, I'd post pics but I've gone over my download limit and everything is super slow so that'd be tedious.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looks like I'll be playing this again when I'm done with Mass Effect.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:O

Awesome update! We should be able to get a dedicated server going now!!!

So is the Cobalt Armor gone altogether? I had two pieces, was looking forward to putting it together.

Mairu

Hawkian said:

Awesome update! We should be able to get a dedicated server going now!!!

So is the Cobalt Armor gone altogether? I had two pieces, was looking forward to putting it together.
Yeah, it's replaced with the jungle set. Any cobalt pieces you had are jungle pieces

Atomski

I keep seeing a skeletons with a miners helmet on but he disappears before I can reach him >_<.

Also wide screen ftw!

Enco

I'm loving this brilliant support. Keep the updates coming!

Someone has to get a large GAF world going.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bummer, I loved the look of the Cobalt Set, really wanted it for my caster. The Jungle Set is quite different. :p

Owell, this update absolutely rules, resizable window is delicious.

Anybody know what the black lens does?

Nekrono

Just read the patch notes....AMAZING!!!

I'm loving even more the game and Re-Logic!, great patch!... keep them coming!

Is the resolution still locked in window mode? I really enjoy windowed mode so I can go back and forth between forums/wikis, plus being able to pause by clicking off the screen. Unfortunately if I play on my desktop monitor it's so tiny and even kind of tiny on my laptop screen - I'd really like to make like a 720p Window

Mairu

Houston3000 said:
Is the resolution still locked in window mode? I really enjoy windowed mode so I can go back and forth between forums/wikis, plus being able to pause by clicking off the screen. Unfortunately if I play on my desktop monitor it's so tiny and even kind of tiny on my laptop screen - I'd really like to make like a 720p Window
You can just resize the window to as big as you want by dragging the borders now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom