• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

InertiaXr

What is suggested for people to do when you get to Hell? I'm not understanding how you are suppose to be able to live let along kill any of the imps that spawn and also mine anything that you need.

BooJoh

InertiaXr said:
What is suggested for people to do when you get to Hell? I'm not understanding how you are suppose to be able to live let along kill any of the imps that spawn and also mine anything that you need.
Assuming you're using gold equipment or lower, you're probably best of going after Meteorite and Demonite now. Head back to the surface and fight some bosses and break shadow orbs. You'll probably need to take some dynamite to the corruption to reach the shadow orbs and demon altars.

saunderez

Hawkian said:
Nothing below demonite can even mine hellstone now, right?
True, but its easy enough to get enough demonite to build the nightmare pickaxe. I got it by defeating the Eater of Worlds for the first time.

InertiaXr

BooJoh said:
Assuming you're using gold equipment or lower, you're probably best of going after Meteorite and Demonite now. Head back to the surface and fight some bosses and break shadow orbs. You'll probably need to take some dynamite to the corruption to reach the shadow orbs and demon altars.

I have full shadow armor and nightmare pickaxe/bow but even in co-op have a phenomenally difficult time doing anything besides blowing through pots and trying to survive when we get down into hell and see hellforges etc.

So today I learned that you can't actually do shit in hell without the proper gear.

I went up, summoned, and killed the Eater of Worlds and was able to craft my Nightmare Pickaxe. I never properly dug to easily make an obsidian mine so I made a dozen or so buckets and, using my vertical tunnel, made enough Obsidian to craft an Obsidian Skull so I walk on the Hellstone and maybe not die so quickly down there.

Grinchy

Banned
saunderez said:
True, but its easy enough to get enough demonite to build the nightmare pickaxe. I got it by defeating the Eater of Worlds for the first time.
Yeah I've summoned the Eater of Worlds like 3 or 4 times now without even trying to. It has even dropped some shadow armor so demonite has felt pretty easy to get for me.

I'm really annoyed by trying to mine meteorite though. I know you can kind of use your pick to push the little balls away, but then they start spawning behind you and it gets messy. I also can't stay inside of the Hell zone for more than like 10 seconds. I'll have 4 imps and a worm all trying to kill me at the same time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
InertiaXr said:
I have full shadow armor and nightmare pickaxe/bow but even in co-op have a phenomenally difficult time doing anything besides blowing through pots and trying to survive when we get down into hell and see hellforges etc.

Oh, you NEED an obsidian skull, if you don't have one. I figured that was a given.

Also if you get to the literal bottom of the world, it's a lot easier to handle the imps as it eliminates 50% of their attack options.

so i really like this game, a lot. however, whenever i play it for a little bit i get this horrendous lag that basically slow-mo's everything. i mean, i don't think it's my computer. i was able to play starcraft 2 on medium settings without any lag at all so i find it odd that this game is causing me to lag. anyone have any possible solutions?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
matthewd49 said:
so i really like this game, a lot. however, whenever i play it for a little bit i get this horrendous lag that basically slow-mo's everything. i mean, i don't think it's my computer. i was able to play starcraft 2 on medium settings without any lag at all so i find it odd that this game is causing me to lag. anyone have any possible solutions?

Did you try frame limiting on / off in the options?

Grinchy said:
I'm really annoyed by trying to mine meteorite though. I know you can kind of use your pick to push the little balls away, but then they start spawning behind you and it gets messy.
Boomerangs knock them back pretty far, so you can buy yourself some decent time with that. I've also the suggestion to just dynamite the main chunk, and once it's about half gone they should stop spawning.

xelios said:
Did you try frame limiting on / off in the options?

yeah i've played with both settings several times and no matter which is selected it eventually lags. sometimes i can play for an hour or two before the lag hits, sometimes only a few minutes.

InertiaXr

Hawkian said:
Oh, you NEED an obsidian skull, if you don't have one. I figured that was a given.

Also if you get to the literal bottom of the world, it's a lot easier to handle the imps as it eliminates 50% of their attack options.

Yeah, I have an Obsidian Skull. I survived long enough a few minutes ago to dig a little into some ash/hellstone, and negate some of the imps. It's just seemingly fucking impossible to do anything when you get down there and there is either lava or pits along with wide open spaces and the imps can just lay into you so hard. Once I started digging down a little they had nowhere to spawn and that made it a lot easier.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Found some Feral Claws in the jungle. By far the most useless accessory I've seen. It should be more like 33% or something, jeez.

sixghost

Grinchy said:
Yeah I've summoned the Eater of Worlds like 3 or 4 times now without even trying to. It has even dropped some shadow armor so demonite has felt pretty easy to get for me.

I'm really annoyed by trying to mine meteorite though. I know you can kind of use your pick to push the little balls away, but then they start spawning behind you and it gets messy. I also can't stay inside of the Hell zone for more than like 10 seconds. I'll have 4 imps and a worm all trying to kill me at the same time.
Save yourself to frustration and just keep 2 or 3 dynamite on hand for meteorite mining. Otherwise it's just way too annoying and takes way too damn long to mine it.

2Crisis

Hawkian said:
Found some Feral Claws in the jungle. By far the most useless accessory I've seen. It should be more like 33% or something, jeez.

No way dude, they stack.

Get 5 of those + Shadow armor bonus is like 65% faster attack.

Then you get a Muramasa so you can just hold down attack. INVINCIBLE

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
2Crisis said:
No way dude, they stack.

Get 5 of those + Shadow armor bonus is like 65% faster attack.

Then you get a Muramasa so you can just hold down attack. INVINCIBLE

Oh. wow. I take it back. I want more of them now.

Weird, my underground jungle goes all the wall down to Hell depth. I connected one of the huge lakes down there. Looks pretty cool.
B93474B4091221C58361D1042DAEFEE0C8E79E7A

5884AC0FB0DBF1AFE70C2CBE8EF6013EC19FC2BB

vermadas

Blargh, think the last meteorite that landed hit a floating island, can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know if the amount of shadow orbs in a world is finite or if they respawn? And if they are finite, how many I should expect to find? I have a small size world and have broken five so far. I've been at the bottom of all the chasms in the corruption and that's all I've found.

Yeah, this looks awesome.

Is it easy to get into? I never played Minecraft. Have all of you made the jump from MineCraft to this, or is it something fresh you can pick up quickly?

BooJoh

-Deadpool- said:

Is it easy to get into? I never played Minecraft. Have all of you made the jump from MineCraft to this, or is it something fresh you can pick up quickly?
This has much less of a learning curve than Minecraft, and is probably the easiest way to jump into the world-building genre atm.

vareon

-Deadpool- said:

I never played Minecraft before playing this. You might feel overwhelmed at first, but you'll quickly learn what to do next at what priority. It's actually pretty easy to get hooked.

Cheers, sounds good.

Going to see if I can get some mates interested, 4 pack on Steam works out at good value, especially with the AUD the way it is. Roughly $7 a copy.

Shahadan

-Deadpool- said:

There is no real tutorial, just a guide NPC who throws random info at you. You only really need to know a few things :

-Zombies spawn at night and will kill you quick at first, so build a shelter/house immediately.
-only items placed in the first line of your inventory are usable
-Hammer destroys objects (well, allowing you to pick them up) and background walls.

Shahadan said:
There is no real tutorial, just a guide NPC who throws random info at you. You only really need to know a few things :

-Zombies spawn at night and will kill you quick at first, so build a shelter/house immediately.
-only items placed in the first line of your inventory are usable
-Hammer destroys objects (well, allowing you to pick them up) and background walls.
Sounds familiar from what I've read of the Minecraft thread too haha..

Thanks.

Seems straight-forward enough.

Anyone know if the amount of shadow orbs in a world is finite or if they respawn? And if they are finite, how many I should expect to find? I have a small size world and have broken five so far. I've been at the bottom of all the chasms in the corruption and that's all I've found.

They are finite. However, when you create a new world, the items in your inventory stay with you. Therefore, you can infinite amounts of meteorite ore.

Nekrono

I just got the Hook from a random skeleton and turned into a Grappling Hook... I can't believe how amazing this tool is! thanks to that not only traveling deep underground is easier (especially coming back to the surface) but thanks to it I just found a Heart.

Loving every second of this game!.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nekrono said:
I just got the Hook from a random skeleton and turned into a Grappling Hook... I can't believe how amazing this tool is! thanks to that not only traveling deep underground is easier (especially coming back to the surface) but thanks to it I just found a Heart.

Loving every second of this game!.

Just upgraded my Grappling Hook into the Ivy Whip... :O

I thought it was going to be a superficial upgrade but it's immeasurably more useful now. The extended reach is awesome alone, but now I can use it to move really fast left or right through the skybridge I built just by clicking.
7A6BF2A0C5E85E830C2EB6B6A8FB2AB280265BCA

Neki

I think the Ivy Hook is useless while scaling up and down walls when compared to the original grappling hook, the upgrade isn't as big. I move infinitely faster by just using one hook and jumping off and then hooking another wall. I do appreciate the increased range though.

SmokyDave

Man, I shouldn't have bought this. Just finished a 15 hour session with the missus and a friend, only came off because I had to leave for work. Now I have a full day of work ahead of me, I'm absolutely knackered and all I can think about is where to gather silver to sell for more bombs. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

vareon

SmokyDave said:
Man, I shouldn't have bought this. Just finished a 15 hour session with the missus and a friend, only came off because I had to leave for work. Now I have a full day of work ahead of me, I'm absolutely knackered and all I can think about is where to gather silver to sell for more bombs. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I played this until 3 in the morning while I have work tomorrow. Wasn't the best day at work.

Interfectum

didnt feel like playing any games last night, hopped on steam to see what good sales there were, saw this was the #1 game, decided to download it to see how it played... 5 hours later i forced myself to go to bed as it was 4am. today is going to be a long day at work.

Interfectum said:
didnt feel like playing any games last night, hopped on steam to see what good sales there were, saw this was the #1 game, decided to download it to see how it played... 5 hours later i forced myself to go to bed as it was 4am. today is going to be a long day at work.

Since release it has only been topped by games on sale.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ultimoo said:
I think the Ivy Hook is useless while scaling up and down walls when compared to the original grappling hook, the upgrade isn't as big. I move infinitely faster by just using one hook and jumping off and then hooking another wall. I do appreciate the increased range though.

Vertically the three-hook feature isn't that useful, but the shot range is almost twice the original hook! And to move horizontally the whips are really useful.

Darkgran

Interfectum said:

There are very few games that I have to force myself to quit playing.

This is one of them. I put 6 hours straight into this yesterday and loved every minute of it.

Salaadin

Are there any tools that let me clear large amounts of blocks out at once. I dont know why, but I cant get into this as much as I want mainly because its taking me 3 years to dig a tunnel.
Is there anything that increases my block placing range too so I dont have to build dirt pillars in order to build higher?

Enco

Salaadin said:
Are there any tools that let me clear large amounts of blocks out at once. I dont know why, but I cant get into this as much as I want mainly because its taking me 3 years to dig a tunnel.
Is there anything that increases my block placing range too so I dont have to build dirt pillars in order to build higher?
I don't think so.

You can get someone else to help you out though. I can help you out a bit if you like (not right now but a bit later). I don't have the best equipment but a few gold things.

InertiaXr

Salaadin said:

Use Dynamite/Bombs/Sticky Bombs.

Salaadin

Enco said:
I don't think so.

You can get someone else to help you out though. I can help you out a bit if you like (not right now but a bit later). I don't have the best equipment but a few gold things.

Im currently single player only. Thanks for the offer though.
I just need to hunker down and play it. Im looking at the wiki now and see that speed improves with better tools. I shouldve figured that....thats where I need to get to.

Do tools break in this like Minecraft? I havent had to replace any yet.

I found a generated tunnel yesterday and I keep getting destroyed by a flying worm down there that just goes through the walls and beats the shit out of me.

InertiaXr said:
Use Dynamite/Bombs/Sticky Bombs.
Im seeing these in the wiki now too. I overlooked some stuff before. It looks like they give you some great things early on.

Atomski

Dynamite can clear a lot of blocks but can get kinda pricey. Love using it for clearing meteors and such. Ive thought about using it to clear a huge hole to hell. But currently my tunnel thats only 4 blocks wide works fine enough.

Enco

Salaadin said:
Im currently single player only. Thanks for the offer though.
I just need to hunker down and play it. Im looking at the wiki now and see that speed improves with better tools. I shouldve figured that....thats where I need to get to.

Do tools break in this like Minecraft? I havent had to replace any yet.

I found a generated tunnel yesterday and I keep getting destroyed by a flying worm down there that just goes through the walls and beats the shit out of me.

Im seeing these in the wiki now too. I overlooked some stuff before. It looks like they give you some great things early on.
That's cool.

Nope! Which is awesome. Replacing your tools gets tiring.

Salaadin

Bobby Truffles said:
Enco said:
That's cool.

Nope! Which is awesome. Replacing your tools gets tiring.

Oh, sweet glory!
Thanks guys.

Im looking forward to playing more tonight. I got my guide to move in last night and have another room set up for someone else. Theres not enough time in the day for games like this :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Salaadin I definitely think you might want to look into Sticky Bombs, assuming you can't afford dynamite yet :)

so is there any reason to keep your old weapons once you've upgraded? also could you guys tell me what these purple caverns i've found are? sorry if my questions are really bad but i've only played for a little while.

edit: i've ventured further into them and the enemies seem very tough, i guess i should just stay away till i get some better gear.

Wow I just bought it a couple of days ago and I've already sunk so much time on this game. And I haven't even touched multiplayer yet. So much stuff!

Just beat the Eater of Worlds for the first time, pretty easy to be honest. I'm hoping they add tons more, more difficult, bosses. Looking forward to finding the Underground Jungle. :D

Amazing how a little $10 game can be so much fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
matthewd49 said:
so is there any reason to keep your old weapons once you've upgraded? also could you guys tell me what these purple caverns i've found are? sorry if my questions are really bad but i've only played for a little while.

edit: i've ventured further into them and the enemies seem very tough, i guess i should just stay away till i get some better gear.

Sell your old stuff, you need the room! (Give it to the merchant)

The purple areas with the enemies are called the Corruption. The purple rock is Ebonstone and very hard to mine. There are lots of goodies to be found in those areas, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom