• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekrono

Houston3000 said:
I'd really like to make like a 720p Window
What Mairu said. But if you would like to make the window 720p accurate and without dragging, etc, you can set the fullscreen resolution to 720p then press ALT+Enter twice and the game will set it to 720p windowed.

Nekrono said:
What Mairu said. But if you would like to make the window 720p accurate and without dragging, etc, you can set the fullscreen resolution to 720p then press ALT+Enter twice and the game will set it to 720p windowed.
Awesome, exactly what I want! Can't wait until I get off work tonight

Wrekt

Hawkian said:
Bummer, I loved the look of the Cobalt Set, really wanted it for my caster. The Jungle Set is quite different. :p

Owell, this update absolutely rules, resizable window is delicious.

Anybody know what the black lens does?
You can make sunglasses with them. I don't know what the sunglasses do yet though.

atre324

supposedly the Cobalt Set will be re-added later

also ugh, the spawn rate on Tim is so low :( How is the drop rate on black lenses?

I can't decide if I'm more excited about more content, or being able to resize the window and have a massive field of view around my character. I love this game :)

Lanbeast

Anyone having server issues now that the game has been patched? I can run/connect my server as usual, but no one can connect.

Atomski

Lanbeast said:
Anyone having server issues now that the game has been patched? I can run/connect my server as usual, but no one can connect.
Friend just connected to my server fine. Are you running the server software or what is in game?

Lanbeast

Atomski said:
Friend just connected to my server fine. Are you running the server software or what is in game?

Tried server/client with/without hamachi. None of the scenarios worked. Port is forwarded. Not sure what the problem is.

InertiaXr

Lanbeast said:
Tried server/client with/without hamachi. None of the scenarios worked. Port is forwarded. Not sure what the problem is.

Yup, same thing here. Can't connect to friends game without hamachi and can't even connect to my own.

I finally got enough Hellstone to craft my first item, the Flamerang - basically the Enchanted Boomerang except it does 32 damage and travels extra far. My boomerang is basically my main weapon now, it absolutely wrecks in close quarters since it returns instantly upon hitting an enemy so I can spam it and it's good for long range to with no ammo. I also found my first Floating Island - it was super high (about 570ft) and luckily it had a gold hut on it with a Starfury which is pretty cool. Big pink sword that calls down three shooting stars whenever I swing. It was a Blood Moon when I got it and the stars were absolutely DESTROYING the zombies like it was a joke. I think it might be useless underground though, I haven't tried it there. Besides that one of the Shadow Orbs I broke had a staff to summon a Thorn Vine thing, kind of low damage but it hits multiple times and goes through the floor for only 5 mana... I think it will be extremely useful since I don't have to worry about the terrain.

Updated House:

R9AHx.jpg

My Hell Tunnel on the right, I removed some stops so it goes all the way to hell even faster now. On the left on top of my castle you can see my outpost to, I stand up there and summon shooting stars during blood moons and goblin raids - I feel like a god! I'm standing on the wall in the courtyard at the center of the screen. Usually a tree there but I cut it down by accident.

Lanbeast

Okay, got it working. Brother suggested opening/running it on a different port than 7777. We tried port 8500, with hamachi, and the server client. Loaded right up.

Cool update, noticed Steam downloading before I left for work this morning.

And I was only asking yesterday if we could change resolutions, that's excellent. So it's just a menu option now? I run it fullscreen, so it should show up in 1650x1080 now? Great. The little 800x600 window was hurting my eyes.

InertiaXr said:
10 gemstones along with I believe Meteorite Bars make lightsabers.

toxicgonzo said:
I save 10 of each kind of gemstone in case I want to make a lightsaber later.

The leftovers I sell. Some are quite valuable and were helpful in my buying a mini-shark

Lightsaber?! Awesome.

Looking forward to having a Meteorite drop now haha..

Twig

Banned
I'm glad I wasted 50 gold on the Mini-shark only to replace it with the infinitely superior Phoenix Blaster.

Except I didn't really waste anything, since you don't ever need to buy stuff in this game, except lesser potions, which are super cheap. X:

L00P

Holy cow nice update!!

I finally have an excuse to NOT wear molten armor! The resolution fix is freaking great too! I can see everything!!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Houston3000 said:
I'm assuming they do nothing, they're just aesthetic like goggles made from normal lenses

Aesthetic they may be, but goddamn if I'm not going to make a pair of sunglasses first chance I get.

Houston3000 said:
Updated House:

My Hell Tunnel on the right, I removed some stops so it goes all the way to hell even faster now. On the left on top of my castle you can see my outpost to, I stand up there and summon shooting stars during blood moons and goblin raids - I feel like a god!
Badass house! How do you summon stars?

Twig said:
I'm glad I wasted 50 gold on the Mini-shark only to replace it with the infinitely superior Phoenix Blaster.

Except I didn't really waste anything, since you don't ever need to buy stuff in this game, except lesser potions, which are super cheap. X:
I've never bought a potion. Spent plenty of money on explosives, though, so I don't buy your premise.

I really want the Phoenix Blaster, but I haven't even found a handgun. The mini-shark is damn good fun, though.

Hey, everybody post what their primary weapon is!

Mine's the Minishark with musket balls for now, but I"m about to load up on meteor shot.

Soule

Ugh, for some reason now when I play at a high resolution the game slows down likes it's dropping frames :\ I've turned the frame skip option both on and off and I get the same effect either way... Surely the game isn't THAT taxing on the computer, I mean I can run Witcher 2 on low settings so surely a tiny 2D game isn't causing my computer some grief :\

Hawkian said:
Badass house! How do you summon stars?
Starfury

The sword itself only does 15 damage but it summons shooting stars that fall from the sky at an angle - it does a good 60+ damage when they all hit in an Area of Effect. So I can stand on my roof and swing my sword to summon stars.

Hey, everybody post what their primary weapon is!
Flamarang right now, it's so fast and has a good range and knock back.

Einbroch

Banned
I don't know what to do anymore. I have all the gold armor I could possibly want, and the water is making it annoying and unplayable to go deep. Seriously, at least half my map is water. It's kind of insane.

iirate said:
Congratulations, this update may have just officially sold me a copy! Absolutely awesome looking stuff here.
Thanks, that's really nothing either. It's kind of haphazardly built on top of itself, I actually modified my castle and edited my post with the new version before you posted - most the walls were all misaligned and the basement wasn't solidified. I've seen pictures where some people built literal castles, absolutely insane stuff. Still you can go back a few pages, this is what it was a few days ago, it's definitely improving :D

Anyways, finally got my Molten Pickaxe. They must of made Hell easier because there are far less fire imps then I remember unless they're just scared of me now. I could of kept mining down there but I had no dynamite and it was taking forever to get all that Hellstone. I went ahead and crafted a pretty rudimentary Obsidian farm to - it's just using natural underground lava flows, not up near my castle but it's RIGHT off my hell tunnel about half way down - I found right where the water and lava are near each other and built some tunneling and containment systems (click for bigger size):

There's ALOT more water above that in some holding lakes I built and tons of lava all around for when this runs out.

strata8

Soule said:
Ugh, for some reason now when I play at a high resolution the game slows down likes it's dropping frames :\ I've turned the frame skip option both on and off and I get the same effect either way... Surely the game isn't THAT taxing on the computer, I mean I can run Witcher 2 on low settings so surely a tiny 2D game isn't causing my computer some grief :\
My computer with a 1.8Ghz Core 2 and a HD4550 runs it fine in fullscreen, so I don't think your hardware is the problem. Drivers, maybe?

Soule

NotTarts said:
My computer with a 1.8Ghz Core 2 and a HD4550 runs it fine in fullscreen, so I don't think your hardware is the problem. Drivers, maybe?
Yeah drivers might be an idea, i'll look into it.

On another note, killed a random arse caster skeleton and received a wizard hat from it. +15% magic damage i think it was. :)

Sarcasm said:
Will the grass or trees grow?

terraria online wiki said:
Saplings can only grow when the following rules for growing are met:

-A planted Acorn can only be planted on grass-covered dirt, and the two adjacent tiles immediately to the planted-on tile's left and right sides must be grass-covered dirt as well.
-The Acorn requires 2 spaces of open ground to either side. A raised tile will block growth, but a lower tile will not.
-There must be at least 3 open tiles between saplings or only one will grow into a tree.
-An Acorn will not grow indoors - all background walls or overhanging ledges must be removed. The limit for vertical open space has yet to be determined.
-Acorns will not grow in the presence of tall grass, flowers, torches, wood platforms or sunflowers within its 2-block radius. Be sure to trim grass from your tree garden regularly.

Don't think so, unless you can somehow remove the back wall... I wonder how far down til you can no longer break the back wall? Time for more wiki research I guess, or maybe an experiment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Einbroch said:
I don't know what to do anymore. I have all the gold armor I could possibly want, and the water is making it annoying and unplayable to go deep. Seriously, at least half my map is water. It's kind of insane.

Wait, what? Could you maybe post a map of your world (unless you're opposed to seeing it all)

Walshicus

Einbroch said:
You could always make yourself little air pockets as you go? Make a 5x4 block of mud, hollow out the interior but leave the top on. Boom - air pocket.

New update is immense, however there's one item I'm absolutely gagging for them to implement. Something along the lines of maybe 'Stone Shoes' or something? Just anything to increase your fall speed so it makes those trips into hell a bit less boring by just letting you plummet down at maybe double/triple speed. Negates the effects of the cloud in a bottle/flippers, however with a well placed water well at the bottom of your big hole into hell you could safely dive in, remove/swap the boots and it'd be a hell of a time-saver. Native widescreen support is a big massive piece of awesome though!

Einbroch said:
It's tough to get around in the water until you've got a miner's helmet or similar. Once you've got a reliable underwater light source, it's not as bad. You can make it easier by chiseling little side passages with air pockets as you go down. Water never travels up, so if you dig straight out to the side then straight up, you can make a spot for air.

Also, slight spoilers:
If you go to the end of the world, there's a good chance you'll find a chest in the ocean with flippers in it. They make getting around the water so much easier.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That tree stuff... this will make my ultimate plan a bit more difficult. I'll have to grow the tree before doing everything around it.

TheBez

Is there anyway to focus the bandwith on running my server so it doesn't lag as much? Also is the day/night cycle busted in mp? It acts very odd on my server.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Diablohead said:
Being able to resize your window is a huge plus, very cool.

I can't believe the turnaround on adding that feature. Not just setting resolutions but a real-time resizeable window. Glorious!

Twig

Banned
Hawkian said:
I can't believe the turnaround on adding that feature. Not just setting resolutions but a real-time resizeable window. Glorious!
It's not really a difficult thing to do, so I'm kind of surprised they didn't have it in at launch. Still, they have it now, so thumbs up.

Though, you can now see far past the monster spawning radius, so you can see them pop in.

Chinner

Banned
I'm sad because I think I've come to the end of this game. Pretty much got all the best equipment, defeated all the bosses and flooded hell. Not sure what else i can do now?

jman2050

Chinner said:
I'm sad because I think I've come to the end of this game. Pretty much got all the best equipment, defeated all the bosses and flooded hell. Not sure what else i can do now?

Wait for more stuff to do. Or hell, just build what you like I guess.

Note that you can easily share resources between different generated worlds under the same character, so if you've exhausted all possible areas in your current world, just make another and explore anew with nothing lost!

Mudkips

Banned
How do I get stuff to mine the purple blocks?
I've found a fallen meteor and mined out some of that and have a bunch of meteor bars.
I've smashed some shadow orbs that were beyond the purple blocks by using dynamite to get to them.

But how/where do I get the materials for the pickaxe that lets me mine them?

I haven't yet killed a boss. I never get to finish off the Eye of Cthulu before the day starts up again. I was using a gold bow and flaming arrows. I now have a musket and flintlock pistol, and I can make meteor shot. I also have an enchanted boomerang. I've heard shurikens are a good way to put him down fast, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Chinner

Banned
Twig said:
The problem is building things in this game sucks.
That's how I feel. I love the adventure element of this game, but the creativity element sucks. It's basically the opposite of Minecraft.

Mudkips said:
How do I get stuff to mine the purple blocks?
I've found a fallen meteor and mined out some of that and have a bunch of meteor bars.
I've smashed some shadow orbs that were beyond the purple blocks by using dynamite to get to them.

But how/where do I get the materials for the pickaxe that lets me mine them?

I haven't yet killed a boss. I never get to finish off the Eye of Cthulu before the day starts up again. I was using a gold bow and flaming arrows. I now have a musket and flintlock pistol, and I can make meteor shot. I also have an enchanted boomerang. I've heard shurikens are a good way to put him down fast, too, but I haven't tried it yet.
You need to kill the Eater of Worlds to get shadow scales and demonite ores so you can craft a nightmare pickaxe, which will let you mine up the ebonstone blocks (the purple blocks).

Of course you could instead try to go to the Underworld to mine up hellstone and make a molten pickaxe that also lets you mine up ebonstone, but you probably won't survive. The Eater of Worlds is not too hard if you have some golden armor & a bunch of healing potions. I would recommend beating the Eye of Cthulhu first and crafting a Light's Bane with which to fight the Eater of Worlds.

Lanbeast

Chinner said:
That's how I feel. I love the adventure element of this game, but the creativity element sucks. It's basically the opposite of Minecraft.

I disagree. There are people doing shit like this, and I think it's awesome.

D3FRH.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom