• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
matthewd49 said:
so is there any reason to keep your old weapons once you've upgraded? also could you guys tell me what these purple caverns i've found are? sorry if my questions are really bad but i've only played for a little while.

edit: i've ventured further into them and the enemies seem very tough, i guess i should just stay away till i get some better gear.
They usually have Shadow Orbs at the bottom but you won't be able to reach them until later the game.

Truth101

Banned
TheBez said:
Is there a way to farm obsidian besides finding a body of water next to a body of lava?

Use a bucket to dump water on the lava, or let a large pool of water break through to the lava.

atre324

So I spent 6 hours today smashing Shadow Orbs and killing worms trying to find one of these:

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Whoopie_Cushion

...just because they're rare, but I didn't have any luck at all :( Finally one of my friends just gave me one in multiplayer, but yeah, apparently they're so rare I didn't even know they existed until yesterday.

I really can't wait for a new content update. This is seriously the most engrossing thing I've played in months.

parasight

atre324 said:
So I spent 6 hours today smashing Shadow Orbs and killing worms trying to find one of these:

...just because they're rare, but I didn't have any luck at all :( Finally one of my friends just gave me one in multiplayer, but yeah, apparently they're so rare I didn't even know they existed until yesterday.

I really can't wait for a new content update. This is seriously the most engrossing thing I've played in months.

I didn't realize they were rare. I actually got one in like the first orb I smashed. I think the only item I don't have is Rocket Boots still.

vareon

Just defeated Eye of Cthulhu and not sure what to do next. I wanted a Nightmare Pickaxe, but I have to defeat the Eater of Worlds first, I assume? I'm still on Silver armors and just barely defeated Cthulhu. Should I go to the Corruption or mine more gold first?

Vhalyar

vareon said:
Just defeated Eye of Cthulhu and not sure what to do next. I wanted a Nightmare Pickaxe, but I have to defeat the Eater of Worlds first, I assume? I'm still on Silver armors and just barely defeated Cthulhu. Should I go to the Corruption or mine more gold first?
Personally, when I was about at the same point, I looked for my underground jungle and farmed a Thorn Chakrum and Blade of Grass. I only got one piece of Cobalt armor, but found more than enough gold to make the corresponding armor, and that was perfect for handling the eater.

Hornets are surprisingly easy to trap into boxes and kill with impunity.

atre324

vareon said:

Get a gold pickaxe, then hopefully by then the demolitionist will have moved in. Buy a stick of dynamite (or 2) and go blast your way to a shadow orb, then wait until a meteor falls and start making meteor stuff (I'd go with a phaseblade first so you can skip from Gold to Nightmare pickaxe)

At this point you can make the game a lot easier for yourself by raiding other worlds and breaking 1 orb to get more/faster meteor ore, which is what I did, but you can pretty much do it in whatever order you want once you start upgrading your armor/weapons past gold.

TheBez said:
Is there a way to farm obsidian besides finding a body of water next to a body of lava?

here's what i made for my place

D7B2A3322147FAF005F98263CC6A900AE7213752

Kuran

Banned
Bought it, still hoping for Mac support.

Also got Project Zomboid.

Did Terraria get any updates since release? Are they planning to update frequently?

Nessus

atre324 said:

Whoopie cushions are rare? I got one right at the beginning..

Then again I just finally found a cloud in a bottle which everyone else seemed to find much earlier than me. Instead I ended up with like 4 mirrors.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kuran said:
Bought it, still hoping for Mac support.

Also got Project Zomboid.

Did Terraria get any updates since release? Are they planning to update frequently?
2 updates so far.

Nessus said:
Whoopie cushions are rare? I got one right at the beginning..

Then again I just finally found a cloud in a bottle which everyone else seemed to find much earlier than me. Instead I ended up with like 4 mirrors.
Cloud in a bottle was the first item I found. Never found a magic mirror, had to get one from a Steam buddy.

Amagon

I'm using a netbookAsus Eee pc 1000HE model (1.3GHz, 2gb memory) and wondering if this game runs will run well on it? Really like to try this out!

vareon

atre324 said:
Get a gold pickaxe, then hopefully by then the demolitionist will have moved in. Buy a stick of dynamite (or 2) and go blast your way to a shadow orb, then wait until a meteor falls and start making meteor stuff (I'd go with a phaseblade first so you can skip from Gold to Nightmare pickaxe)

At this point you can make the game a lot easier for yourself by raiding other worlds and breaking 1 orb to get more/faster meteor ore, which is what I did, but you can pretty much do it in whatever order you want once you start upgrading your armor/weapons past gold.

Already have the gold pickaxe and demolitionist. Destroying the shadow orb might be a good idea. Hmmmm, should I hold the demonite or make a weapon out of that?

snack

I have one spot left in my 4-pack. If you are interested in buying the game for $7.50 instead of $9.99, PM me!

Wanace

THE NO LIFE KING said:
I'm using a netbookAsus Eee pc 1000HE model (1.3GHz, 2gb memory) and wondering if this game runs will run well on it? Really like to try this out!

I have the same netbook, turn frameskip on and you should be ok i think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey CarbonatedFalcon, just saw a screenshot on your Steam profile... bummer about that meteorite!

snack said:
I have one spot left in my 4-pack. If you are interested in buying the game for $7.50 instead of $9.99, PM me!

Might take you up on this if it's still up for grabs when I get home this evening.

Hawkian said:
Hey CarbonatedFalcon, just saw a screenshot on your Steam profile... bummer about that meteorite!

Yeah that one was a bit unfortunate. It was interesting though having an event damage what I had built.

I haven't played the game in awhile now because I've been having some internet issues on Windows, but once I get that sorted out I'll head back in. (I need to try out my new copy of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory as well!)

Dreavus

TheBez said:
Thank you for the video! Also I got super lucky and got the fiery ball o hurt which just mows down Bone Serpents and Fire Imps.

I am pretty much convinced that Sunfury (fiery ball of hurt) is the best weapon in the game. Bone serpents and the Eater of Worlds both completely melt to it, and so does everything else, really. The fact that it has ZERO cooldown when the ball hits the ground/wall and is ready for instant deployment again after a fast retract... is completely nuts! I don't even carry a sword anymore.

I got mine right after several unfortunate encounters with Bone Serpents messing with my mining. My revenge is now complete.

TheBez said:
That's not infinite is it? Also, how many bucketloads of lava and water did it take? Seems like it would be a lot!

yeah it is. my duplicators are right there at the top. i just don't have a safety cache. so if i mess up i just re-grab from the lava/water i have in there already.

Soule

Weird experience with the water physics just now. Created a new map just to mess around with and found this BIIIIIIIIG deep cave under a lake which was already full of water... So I decide "let's flood hell again :D" and off I go making my way down when roughly 3/4 of the way on a medium (i think) map is under water when I finally get there. So I go down start farming a bit of ore and killing some imps thinking it's taking forever and it doesn't necessarily seem to be filling very fast now that it's hit a certain point and I tele back up and I swear the water level at the top hasn't really dropped at all. I leave it for like 10 minutes and while I can see the water falling it doesn't seem to be changing much.

I go back up and decide to widen the tunnel along the way, looks good at first water is flowing a lot better go a bit further up and widen some more and BAM all water disappears and is suddenly at the bottom lol. Never had that happen before was quite a surprise but I was happy to have hell finally flooded with a real lake :)

Here's a pic of the water I took when I was starting to think it was a bit ridiculous how much water I was encountering. Nearly at the bottom. Weird to think that like 80% of it just vanished instantly into hell with just a liiiiiiittle bit more space to drain through.

world3.png

atre324

vareon said:
Already have the gold pickaxe and demolitionist. Destroying the shadow orb might be a good idea. Hmmmm, should I hold the demonite or make a weapon out of that?

I would save your demonite and make a pickaxe first thing, since that's now required to mine hellstone and Obsidian. You can definitely survive with a phaseblade (made with meteor bars) until you move on to Molten Stuff or until you get a Muramasa, so I'd probably go ahead and try to make a Nightmare pickaxe with the demonite as soon as possible so you can mine enough Obsidian to make a skull and survive the underworld.

Once you've got enough ore for your weapons/pickaxe it probably doesn't matter too much what kind of armor you go with, personally I mined a bunch of meteors and stayed with meteor armor, but you can just as easily farm the jungle for cobalt, or try your luck with eater of worlds so you can get some nightmare stuff, or just deal with the deaths in silver/gold until you have enough hellstone ore to make molten armor.

InertiaXr

Vitet said:
My glowing mushrooms farm below my house
h54Bs.jpg

Wow I'm surprised you had natural daylight so close to the world's 'above/below' ground cutoff. All of my 10 worlds or so I have generated have had all the land 100-200+ feet above the actual underground layer, so I have had to dig out a pretty long tunnel down to my farm.

sixghost

Enco said:
How do you build a glowing mushroom farm?
From the Terraria wiki:

They must be planted in mud underground (below 0ft depth) in order to grow Glowing Mushrooms. Once the seeds have been planted in a suitable location, the blue grass from the seeds will begin to spread over time.
You just plant regular mushroom grass seeds and follow those guidelines.

vareon

Alright, going by many advices I destroyed a shadow orb (and me in the process, lol. Stupid eater of worlds kept getting in my way, not enough time to move away from the dynamite). As I was killing zombies in a blood moon, I got a message that a meteor crashed down. Epic.

Sanic

Are there any good general guides for this? I've put in about three hours now, and it's just not really grabbing me, with the last hour feeling aimless. Some direction would be nice, I guess.

Enco

sixghost said:
From the Terraria wiki:

You just plant regular mushroom grass seeds and follow those guidelines.
Cool, thanks.

Pandoracell said:
Are there any good general guides for this? I've put in about three hours now, and it's just not really grabbing me, with the last hour feeling aimless. Some direction would be nice, I guess.
Get into an MP game with someone.

Hopefully when the new update comes out (support 256 players) we can get an awesome GAF server running.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pandoracell said:

There's this: http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Guide:Getting_started

Though honestly, if you've already played 3 hours and don't feel hooked- I'd have a look over the wiki, play another 3 or so, and then call it a loss for now if you're still not feeling it. Certainly the game isn't for everyone. Maybe an update will come out further along and add some structure that you would enjoy.

Sanic

Enco said:
Get into an MP game with someone.

Hopefully when the new update comes out (support 256 players) we can get an awesome GAF server running.

Yeah, I do need to get around to that, preferably with people who have played the game far more than I. I've only played SP thus far.

There's this: http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Guide:Getting_started

Though honestly, if you've already played 3 hours and don't feel hooked- I'd have a look over the wiki, play another 3 or so, and then call it a loss for now if you're still not feeling it. Certainly the game isn't for everyone. Maybe an update will come out further along and add some structure that you would enjoy.

That wiki page has been significantly expanded since I first looked at it a few days after the game came out, thanks for posting it. I'm going to read over it again and see where I end up.

Vitet

Enco said:
How do you build a glowing mushroom farm?

It's quite easy. You need only one seed per floor, mud, and be below 0ft height.
And yes, my house/spawn point was about 30-40 ft above the underground.

The tedious part was remove dirt walls to put wood walls, but it looks pretty and now I have a lot of big potions.

I was thinking on doing the same with normal grass above ground to farm normal mushrooms, but they're pretty random

EDIT: I was pretty lucky with that world (and it was my first). I have four demon altar just below the spawn point LOL

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ok i tried the dropbox thingie and it worked in that regard, that the cursor colour changed accordingly, but now single player won't start on my second PC.
Every time I press Single Player the game crashes :(

EDIT: Solved! I fucked up linking the folders.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Des0lar said:
Ok i tried the dropbox thingie and it worked in that regard, that the cursor colour changed accordingly, but now single player won't start on my second PC.
Every time I press Single Player the game crashes :(

EDIT: Solved! I fucked up linking the folders.
Nice. Were you going between two different OSes? Using junction on my XP laptop was the trickiest part for me to figure out, but it's totally seamless now.

Vitet said:
The tedious part was remove dirt walls to put wood walls, but it looks pretty and now I have a lot of big potions.
Holy god, is there no hammer in the entire game that can remove walls in one click?

PLEASE DEVS PLEASE MAKE ONE

I destroyed a few Shadow Orbs, got full Demonscale Armor and a Musket now. That, along with my Obsidian Skull really made Hell a lot more tolerable, I was able to dig deep into the ash and stop the random imp attacks to mine Hellstone. The extra armor (especially since I started wearing a normal helmet instead of the mining helmet) really helps I think. Still, the Bone Serpents are ridiculous when you're in tight quarters like that.

Also, I got a message a meteorite crashed in my world but I can't find it. I ran for an entire day/night cycle to one side of my map. I started running to the other side but skipping by all the corruption and huge shadow orb scars is really hard when I'm not taking it slow. I reached my dungeon but didn't go past that. No idea where that Meteorite is :(

Vitet said:
I was pretty lucky with that world (and it was my first). I have four demon altar just below the spawn point LOL
Yeah, that's awesome, I was wondering how you got the demon altars there. I only found one demon altar and it's pretty far from my castle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you have a grappling hook yet? Bypassing the Corruption should be pretty trivial if you're just trying to find where the meteor hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom