• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

CaLe said:
How fun is this game when played alone ?

Also, can it be easily picked up and played for a short burst ?

I come home late from work and I just want to play a mindless game that doesn't require too much thinking, for a short or medium amount of time.

Thanks

This is basically what I do. The game had a good sense of progression no matter how you played.

ZZMitch

CaLe said:
Thanks for the answers guys.

For 10$, I'll still try it I think.

The problem with playing this game in short bursts is that whenever you leave the game it moves your character back to you spawn. So mining trips should be done over longer periods of time to prevent lots of travel back and forth from your house when reentering the game.

CaLe

ZZMitch said:
The problem with playing this game in short bursts is that whenever you leave the game it moves your character back to you spawn. So mining trips should be done over longer periods of time to prevent lots of travel back and forth from your house when reentering the game.

Ah got it, thanks !

By short-bursts I meant around 1 hour. Is that still too short ?

ZZMitch said:

They need like a portal or something. So you could connect your mining areas to your spawn base.

Magic Mirror is great for getting back. Need something to get you there quickly too.

ZZMitch said:
I just carry a bed, a table and a chair and build a new house underground when I'm done :)

99hertz

I don't understand how I can build/get a gun. The wiki says that it's with the drops from the corrupted monsters, but they don't drop me those things. :/

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
balladofwindfishes said:
I just carry a bed, a table and a chair and build a new house underground when I'm done :)

And if you need to get back to your main base in a hurry (and if it's next to the initial spawn point), you hit the bed w/ a hammer, drop the bed in a chest (if you want to keep using that home/base for later), then either kill-port yourself, or use a Magic Mirror.

Wrekt

99hertz said:
I don't understand how I can build/get a gun. The wiki says that it's with the drops from the corrupted monsters, but they don't drop me those things. :/
Muskets drop often from Shadow Orbs in the corruption. Don't break a 3rd one unless you are ready to fight the EoW though.

vareon

99hertz said:

The first shadow orb you break will always drop a Musket.

I loaded up the game today for the first time in a while, and it won't let me change the controls. :\ Everything is set to none right now.

I deleted the configuration file, though I don't like the default controls.

ZZMitch

Wow, so much stuff happened in the last few hours playing that I couldn't stop. Now it is almost 4am! First I reached hell for the first time and got smothered by imps. Then I entered the corruption for the first time and smashed two shadow orbs. I found one meteor and mined it to build a hemax. On the search for the meteor I found two floating islands and explored them as well. While trying to get through the corruption to reach the far right of my world I saw a hornet flying around in one of the deep pits. Low and behold my underground jungle was under the corruption! Awesome. Went in there, explored a bit, and fell into a pit of Man Eaters and died. It was glorious.

I love this game. Still haven't found enough gold for a full gold armor set but I have really good weapons in comparison and just need to find the other meteor so I can build a phaseblade and other goodies! Then I can go attack that jungle again. Or maybe I will take on the Eater of Worlds... man, what a game!

On a more annoying note, however, the arms dealer refuses to show! I got everyone but him and have been using my musket throughout my adventures. Cmon slowpoke!

Darklord

Banned
Might be a razy quest but how do I get out of the giant cave(dungeons?). I'm way down in the ground and there's no real way out, unless I have to slowly crawl my way back up.

Dreavus

Darklord said:
Might be a razy quest but how do I get out of the giant cave(dungeons?). I'm way down in the ground and there's no real way out, unless I have to slowly crawl my way back up.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking if you already owned a grapple hook... I think you're in for a long climb back. Either that or death, but that'll take half your coins. (possible spoiler if there is such a thing):
There is also an item called "magic mirror" that'll instantly get you back to spawn.

Darklord

Banned
Dreavus said:
I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking if you already owned a grapple hook... I think you're in for a long climb back. Either that or death, but that'll take half your coins. (possible spoiler if there is such a thing):
There is also an item called "magic mirror" that'll instantly get you back to spawn.

Yeah, I haven't found a hook yet. Would saving and reloading work? Doesn't that spawn you next to your house?

Jakeh111

Got one of my buddies to start playing this and he is HOOKED. This game seems like one you could sit anyone in front of and give them 2 hours with it and they will be hooked.

99hertz

vareon said:
The first shadow orb you break will always drop a Musket.

Haha thanks for telling me that! Got it yesterday before going to bed :)

One thing I found interesting is that I keep finding more gold than silver, but I won't protest! Damn this game is addictive.

My brother bought this for me two days ago. I'm planning to download it later today.

Could someone point me to a quick 1-2 paragraph explanation of what this game is/isn't? I've read almost nothing about it and I've never played or seen Minecraft.

kennah

TruthJunky said:
My brother bought this for me two days ago. I'm planning to download it later today.

Could someone point me to a quick 1-2 paragraph explanation of what this game is/isn't? I've read almost nothing about it and I've never played or seen Minecraft.
MacGuyver Mario with no Princess and you build your own castle.

Bobby Truffles said:
Ruby deposits are as rare as hen's teeth in my world.

It's Emeralds for me. Think I've found 3 Emeralds now (3 Diamonds too actually) in ~39 hours now. Comparatively, I'm up around probably 50-60 Ruby, Topaz etc.. (Made my lightsaber out of Ruby too).

Wrekt

I feel pretty good then. I only have 18 hours in game but I have 3 diamonds and about 30 of everything else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you're waiting for an NPC to show build another full room, even if you think you have enough already. Sometimes that's what it takes.

Began the construction work on my own underground jungle and mushroom farm last night.

Then realised my spawn point and tower is ~450ft above sea level.

One hell of an elevator/chute was constructed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally raided the dungeon in my first world. Skeletron was a fun bout, but would have been much harder without Molten Armor. I feel like I cheated by getting it before the update. Oh well.

Incredible loot in the dungeon. Got a bunch of stuff for my caster including Starfury and the Aqua Scepter which will surely be his main weapon. Blue Moon is a pretty fun weapon too, and oddly my dungeon extends deep into hell. Sort of cool to head down there, mine through the floor into hell and then own some imps with weapons I found on the way.

I am officially in the market for Bands of Starpower now. I have plenty of useful stuff and am willing to pay in gold too, so if you have any you're not using let me know!

rataplein

I started a few days agos in a small world.

my progress has been ok a think.

i have a golden armor, staff of regroth, the musket... but i don't know what to do yet.

i already killed de big eye.

destroyed my fisrt orb (no meteor has fallen in aprox. 2 ingame days =/ )

what should i do next?.

Kalnos

Banned
Patch teasing (release by Friday):

Terraria is soon expecting another large update. Not only there will be many fixes and tweaks to existing mechanics, but there will also be a few new features added to the game.

We're not going to spoil it for you, but lets just say a new boss, new mobs, and even new items are on the way!

There will also now be a server crash log. This should help find the cause of any crashes that may happen, and help hosters make an even more stable server and client environment.

Expected release date is Friday.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dude, awesome. I'm pscyhed. In the middle of three projects in my world that will have to be interrupted, along with temporarily abandoning the creation of my caster character :p

vareon

YES a content update! This will be fun. I'm exploring the dungeon right now.

rataplein said:
I started a few days agos in a small world.

my progress has been ok a think.

i have a golden armor, staff of regroth, the musket... but i don't know what to do yet.

i already killed de big eye.

destroyed my fisrt orb (no meteor has fallen in aprox. 2 ingame days =/ )

what should i do next?.

Have you gone to the Underground Jungle? Explore it a bit more. Then you can aim to defeat the Eater of Worlds.

Vitet

I'm building an artifical jungle under my mushroom farm. Bees are starting to show
0jHie.jpg

vareon

Huge improvement today. Went into the dungeon, explored it, and got a boatload of treasures including Muramasa. Went down to Underworld to grab some Hellstone, a Bone Serpent decided to appear. I killed it and got a Sunfury. Neat.

I don't have enough motivation to mine the Hellstone though. I don't know, maybe I'll move to a large world and make a castle there. Kinda regretted that I didn't start with a large world from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom