• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
vareon said:
This is when things go a bit downhill: When exploring the caverns, I have a clear goal: find as many ores as possible, make the best armor. This goal is not present in my jungle exploration. My next best armor is obtained from a random drop of a Hornet, which encourages farming, not exploration. The way Hornets keep spawning also encourages me to zip through the jungle fast instead of exploring it.
Using the helmet or
an orb of light
has advantages and disadvantages to exploration. The advantage is obviously that you can just run off into the dark without getting killed, but the disadvantage is that the light range generally isn't as nice as putting down torches, which can help you spot ore deposits while you're placing them, and that placing torches to really light up where you have been drastically improves the sense of exploration.

I also get a Staff of Regrowth, which is extremely powerful at that time and makes fighting Hornets tremendously easier.
That's your main until you get the Muramasa, but even after that, it's very useful later on when you're terraforming for projects, planting trees for wood, and purifying.

I can also fight the Skeletron if I wanted then explore the dungeon. I find it weird that the game's current strongest boss is placed in FRONT of one of the late-game biome instead somewhere inside, which makes the dungeon anti-climactic I guess?
Hell no. That place is CRAZY. Being able to beat him is like a test to see if you're worthy of such a hostile environment. And inside, the payouts are MASSIVE. Also, hope that you find a Muramasa or Cobalt Shield in there early on or you will get FUCKED UP, or at least upgrade to an Ivy Whip first. Do not be mistaken, the dungeon is the climax of the game at this point. Going to make molten stuff is just a cherry on top.

Basically the game felt much more awesome to me in the beginning to middle, where I slowly dig my way through tunnel, going back since my inventory is full, then continue the exploration where I left it.
Those times were fun, although putting together enough for a large project is also fun, you just need to find the inspiration to do so first. I built a large section of my base out of bricks from the dungeon and glass, an obsidian shrine for my piggybank, a special silver brick underground area padded with sand for my demolitionist, a multi-level glowing shroom sanctuary to make more potions, etc. I also went across the entire surface of the world, terraforming it to smooth out the small bumps and stuff my guy would get caught on so I could travel more easily and purified half the corruption since I smashed more orbs than I'll ever need from this world. All of those things are really satisfying.

I simply can't wait for a next major content update--a new boss or biome, hopefully. It's understandable they want to improve the multiplayer first, though. The game's just been released for a few weeks and they most likely had awesome things in mind.
Yeah. I'd really like an underwater biome, desert "egyptian" crypt, ice cave, etc. They have been tossing around great ideas on TO so the next big addition will probably be pretty cool.

Though, as you mention, whatever they add will be much better if shared with others, so I hope everything is worked out to start a consistent GAF server.

dalin80

Banned
According to the wiki the cthulhu boss should only spawn once a alter has been activated and a goblin army once a shadow orb has been destroyed, I have done neither of these things and yet every single night now for a while cthulhu has turned up a royally ruined my shit (take out over 2000hp with a sword that does 7 damage a hit... yeah) and iam getting regular goblin invasions.

Praying for the day that you can attack by holding down a button.

ZZMitch

dalin80 said:
According to the wiki the cthulhu boss should only spawn once a alter has been activated and a goblin army once a shadow orb has been destroyed, I have done neither of these things and yet every single night now for a while cthulhu has turned up a royally ruined my shit (take out over 2000hp with a sword that does 7 damage a hit... yeah) and iam getting regular goblin invasions.

If you have 10 hearts or more Eye of Cuthulu can spawn. I found that out today to much chaos.

dalin80 said:

I dunno what wiki you're reading but the "official" one says:

It is also possible for it to spawn soon after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you" appears. This happens when the player has at least ten hearts, hasn't defeated the Eye of Cthulhu before, and has at least 3 NPCs.
:p

Not sure why you're getting a goblin army if you haven't smashed an orb though.

Stitch

Gold Member
dalin80 said:

i think defeating him with a sword is impossible. he's pretty easy with shurikens

ZZMitch said:
If you have 10 hearts or more Eye of Cuthulu can spawn. I found that out today to much chaos.

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I had a massive supply of flaming arrows and shurikens and a decent battle area next to my fortress/town.

Twig

Banned
Me and a friend were in the underground jungle and had like five eyes spawn on us in a row. We definitely didn't summon them or smash orbs or have water candles in our inventory.

But I think it was a blood moon! So maybe that was added with the patch. Eyes on blood moon.

Atomski

Twig said:
Me and a friend were in the underground jungle and had like five eyes spawn on us in a row. We definitely didn't summon them or smash orbs or have water candles in our inventory.

But I think it was a blood moon! So maybe that was added with the patch. Eyes on blood moon.
Did u have on a band of regeneration? because it seems to be bugged based on the wiki. http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Water_Candle

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Took me 27 hours, but I finally got a goblin invasion!

Got two harpoons out of it, but no rocket boots. :(

Anybody want to trade?

Dreavus

I was thinking about what it'd be like to have a GAF server, but then again I'm not sure it would really work out. Unlike something Minecraft, this game has a bunch of goals that, once finished, don't become available again unless you make a new world: (possible spoiler)
Skeletron can only be fought once per world, there are only a finite amount of chests to open and orbs to smash per world, only 2-3 floating islands per world.
If all of us were bouncing around one world, EVEN on large, all that stuff would get done pretty fast. I wouldn't mind if the devs made more ways to make these things repeatable, like maybe the corruption spread can create new orbs, or maybe some kind of seismic event that remakes areas not covered by torches or something like that.

Although I guess if the server was mostly for building giant castles and stuff, I could see the appeal of that too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We could do other kinds of things with a server too. It'd be nice to have community chests on a server everybody could get stuff they needed from. I have tons of stuff I'm not going to use for a while if ever, and I need lots of glass for my projects, would be cool to have a repository. Unlike Minecraft everybody could bring stuff from their games and deposit it on the server.

Also, however rudimentary it is, there is PVP. I say we at least set up a battle arena for duels. Maybe have some corruption in the middle with thorns for an environmental hazard. :p

Atomski

I'd love a PVP server :p.

Anyways ugh.. Ive been farming the Jungle helm and Sunfury for days and neither will drop :(.

I didn't get to play tonight but last night I went on to defeat Skeletron and enter the dungeon... holy fuck is that place unforgiving - the fucking skeletal mages are incessant. I got a Muramasa but other than that I didn't really find anything too useful. Bunches of Enchanted Boomerangs, Bands of Regeneration, and Water Bolt books. I did get an Aqua Scepter that sprays water, unfortunately it doesn't actually add water to the environment like I was hoping it did... it is cool since the spray glows and goes through walls - could be very useful for lighting up my underground tunnels in search of caves and such.

Best part about the dungeon was stealing every damned glowing orb, book, water candle, and a huge chunk of purple bricks. Time to spice up my castle with some new decor :D

EDIT: Hell yeah, now my castle has bookshelves and blue candles galore... I kind of ignored the shelf aspect of wood platforms, actually got some gold candles and bottles up on those shits! Reorganized my chests as well so they have they're own little vault at the bottom of my castle instead of being lined up in the room.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A handgun? :D? :D? aaaah just killed Skeletron and found my first one! Owell ;)

And bands of starpower...

L00P

wtf my guide died and he hasn't come back since! Is this a bug? I have his empty house just sitting there all empty!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SalsaShark said:
still need to play this after the latest patch..

enough new content to go back?

I am still waiting for more content to get surprised a bit. It wasnt too much. The next update should bring customization options (find stuff to change the appearance of yourself without chaning stats), so I'll wait for that.

Nekrono

Well tonight was a very successful night, played with a friend in our multiplayer wold, I started in full silver armor with a gold sword and after a couple hours we ended up with...

terraria2011-06-0503-5iglh.jpg

Full Shadow armor with Light's Bane and every other shadow tool/weapon plus a Vilethorn that dropped from a Shadow Orb we smashed, I must say that weapon/spell is very cool(especially for Eater of Worlds).

We achieved this by killing Eater of Worlds for the first time and then farming him a couple times until we got enough Scales and Demonite Ore for everything.

I love this game and the whole experience, I enojyed how we had to gear up to kill the Eater of Worlds although it seems he is kinda easy with 2 players, I bet all those upgrades we did before facing him would have been more useful if we had been on our ow, now I just need to go back to my single player world and kill Eater of Worlds for the first time there.

Now I must ask GAF, what's next? What am I supposed to do now? From what I can tell I think I'm supposed to mine Obsidian and craft an Obsidian Skull and then go to hell and mine some Hellstone??? I'm kinda lost right now so suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated!.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
99hertz said:
How often this game updates?

The game's been out for less than a whole month, so it's a little early to make meaningful predictions about how often or how substantial content updates will really be in the long term.

That said, the game came out on the 16th of May and has seen three updates already - one about every two weeks. Most of this has been bugfixes, but there has been new content added.

99hertz

Campster said:
The game's been out for less than a whole month, so it's a little early to make meaningful predictions about how often or how substantial content updates will really be in the long term.

That said, the game came out on the 16th of May and has seen three updates already - one about every two weeks. Most of this has been bugfixes, but there has been new content added.

Thanks. Just bought it.

Hope they keep updating with the same frequency!

I crafted all the rest of the Molten gear I could. In addition to the full set of armor and pick-axe I have the sword, ham-axe, bow, and pistol. I went ahead and began work on a Mushroom Farm - which made me realize my castle is about 300+ feet above sea level, took the opportunity to build a nice elevator from my basement to right where it's considered underground; on the opposite side of my castle from the hell tunnel. Walled it in and everything with platforms so I can double jump back up (though I just use my mirror mainly).

The only other items on my radar are the Rocket Boots and Flippers. Beyond that I still haven't discovered my Underground Jungle (I'm on a Large map lol)... don't know if the gear there is an upgrade though. Not sure if I should go there to collect it all just for the hell of it. Other than that it's just improving my castle until I'm bored, not really sure if there's any point to create another character. Not complaining, 41 hours and counting - absolutely the best $10 I EVER spent on a video game.

Twig

Banned
Retro said:
... What bunny?
The bunny on the title screen.

I thought the implication was obvious - next patch.

Although maybe you aren't aware Blue is one of the developers. U:

Retro

Nah, I knew he was a developer, I just thought there was a bunny already in the game, I had just never seen him.

Sir Fragula said:
I wish there was a better join between man-made walls and dirt walls...
This. I also wish there was a better match between different types of man-made walls. Right now I've got a gap where my wood wall stops and grey brick wall starts.

35 hours in now. Can't believe it. Only picked the thing up late last week.

Defeated the Eater of Worlds, then defeated him again.

Finally had a Blood Moon.

Decided to venture to the end of the map, so headed left. All the way there and an ocean seems to stop me, so headed back and in the dead of night accidentally fell down one of the corruption pits. Right at the bottom, underwater was a little chasm with some vines - so I've found my underground jungle (high res for the win, never would have seen it otherwise).

And after ~30 hours, I made it to Hell too. So I've been mining Hellstone like it's going out of fashion. Found a huge area in the caverns where water and lava met, so I channelled more water in and basically have an endless source of Obsidian - mined about 900 of it before I got bored lol..

Now I've got all the Molten Gear, I smashed open some Demon Orbs (didn't realise they summoned another Eater of Worlds haha) and not long after a Meteor landed, so gotta search for that now.

Still only have 3 NPC's in my base (Guide, Merchant and Nurse), so have to work on getting others.

And planning on exploring the underground jungle now I know where it is (then building my own underground jungle + mushroom gardens). Haven't found my Dungeon yet either, but it can only be far right as I haven't explored there yet.

So much to do in this game. So addictive. Probably the best tenner I've ever spent.

mokeyjoe

The trouble is this game reminded me of Dwarf Fortress which I'd kind of forgotten about, so I started playing Dwarf Fortress again and now I can't stop playing Dwarf Fortress and I haven't touched this since. Ah well, I'm sure I'll come back to it once all my dwarves have perished horribly in some suitably farcical manner.

mokeyjoe said:
The trouble is this game reminded me of Dwarf Fortress which I'd kind of forgotten about, so I started playing Dwarf Fortress again and now I can't stop playing Dwarf Fortress and I haven't touched this since. Ah well, I'm sure I'll come back to it once all my dwarves have perished horribly in some suitably farcical manner.
Man.
I'm this close...

Stupid Dwarf Fortress acts like negative time. How does that happen?

CaLe

How fun is this game when played alone ?

Also, can it be easily picked up and played for a short burst ?

I come home late from work and I just want to play a mindless game that doesn't require too much thinking, for a short or medium amount of time.

Thanks

Gilby

CarbonatedFalcon said:
That twitter quote makes it sound like tossing the vile powder on the bunny will spawn a boss.

New boss would be appreciated.

Monty Python Rabbit?

I remember someone somewhere suggesting some sort of Balrog as the underworld boss. I'd love that.

Gilby

CaLe said:

I come home late from work and I just want to play a mindless game that doesn't require too much thinking, for a short or medium amount of time.

Thanks

Not really what you're looking for methinks. Great game though.

edit: Not that playing it alone is bad, that's all I've done so far. Shortest session was probably well over an hour though.

CaLe said:

Thanks

Been having a ball with it myself.

I've done some co-op (which obviously, was more fun), but of my ~35 hours, probably 32 of them have been solo, and I'm still finding loads of stuff to do. Especially on the 'large' map.

Not really a 'short burst' game though. Far from it in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom