• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

balddemon said:
only if you want to possibly find clothes in chests, or an above ground jungle. everything else (npc, enemies) updates to your world.

Thanks I haven't done too much exploration and haven't killed any bosses so I'll just stick with my current map.

Two new questions,

a) Can Eye of Cthulhu just appear on it's own? Just attacked me last night and I haven't been doing anything other than building houses. It absolutely mauled me (took about 400 health off it). Have all gold armour except feet which are iron and an enchanted boomerang which I was using to attack.

b) Anyone have issues getting a Demolitionist to appear? Built three new houses, a nurse moved in, but I can't seem to get the demo. Have 10 bombs, used a few before and after building the houses. Each have walls/inner walls and a table/chair with two lights. Need him so I can buy dynamite and blow up that purple ore surrounding the shadow orbs.

kevm3

Thanks I haven't done too much exploration and haven't killed any bosses so I'll just stick with my current map.

Two new questions,

a) Can Eye of Cthulhu just appear on it's own? Just attacked me last night and I haven't been doing anything other than building houses. It absolutely mauled me (took about 400 health off it). Have all gold armour except feet which are iron and an enchanted boomerang which I was using to attack.

b) Anyone have issues getting a Demolitionist to appear? Built three new houses, a nurse moved in, but I can't seem to get the demo. Have 10 bombs, used a few before and after building the houses. Each have walls/inner walls and a table/chair with two lights. Need him so I can buy dynamite and blow up that purple ore surrounding the shadow orbs.

Do you have the musket in your inventory?

Retro

kevm3 said:
Do you have the musket in your inventory?

Musket is for the Arms Dealer, not the demolitionist.

I would make sure the bombs are in your inventory all the time and maybe see if the house you built him is 100% complete. Sometimes a little wall or something can be missing. Make sure it has a Door, a Table, a chair, a light source and is all walled in... beyond that, I dunno.

I haven't played this in a bit due to issues with my PC partition, but I'll be sure to hop back in soon enough (I didn't even "finish" before these content patches started coming out.) I have put 24 hours into it though, so it's not like I hardly played it.

It would be nice if they could get a Steamplay Mac port going at some point, but I can't complain with what they have been offering so far. Great, great updates.

Audioboxer

Retro said:
Musket is for the Arms Dealer, not the demolitionist.

I would make sure the bombs are in your inventory all the time and maybe see if the house you built him is 100% complete. Sometimes a little wall or something can be missing. Make sure it has a Door, a Table, a chair, a light source and is all walled in... beyond that, I dunno.

Whadda ya know, 15 minutes after asking on GAF, he appears *shakes fist*!!!

Now I need to make some money so I can afford dynamite (lost a lot through dying whilst trying to get a hellforge).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Eye of Cthulhu shows up if you have 10 hearts. If you do, he will show up every other night or so. You better get some good projectile weapons and make some health potions. If you have a nice open space and the right stuff, you can take it down really easily. I had a phoenix blaster for the far-away stage, a sunfury for the rushing stage, and wearing jungle armor I destroyed it losing only 3 hearts.

That is some powerful equipment, but you can easily get stuff half as powerful and simply take twice as long. Gold bow with flaming arrows is pretty good but kind of slow and takes a bit of practice aiming. You want something fast so you can kill the small eyes as they come out while still hitting the boss. I hear shurikens have done well for others. Just get 500 of them and go to town. A red balloon or cloud in a bottle would be helpful when it starts rushing you.

Whatever you do, don't go breaking orbs until you have killed it.

Audioboxer

Dice said:
Eye of Cthulhu shows up if you have 10 hearts. If you do, he will show up every other night or so. You better get some good projectile weapons and make some health potions. If you have a nice open space and the right stuff, you can take it down really easily. I had a phoenix blaster for the far-away stage, a sunfury for the rushing stage, and wearing jungle armor I destroyed it losing only 3 hearts.

That is some powerful equipment, but you can easily get stuff half as powerful and simply take twice as long. Gold bow with flaming arrows is pretty good but kind of slow and takes a bit of practice aiming. You want something fast so you can kill the small eyes as they come out while still hitting the boss. I hear shurikens have done well for others. Just get 500 of them and go to town. A red balloon or cloud in a bottle would be helpful when it starts rushing you.

Whatever you do, don't go breaking orbs until you have killed it.

Thanks! I have 15 hearts just now. I may try shurikens. I have a cloud in a bottle, and it helped when he first appeared, but I was kind of startled as I didn't know why he was attacking me and as I said I only took off about 400 damage before dying.

I'm not sure where my underground jungle is yet, so I don't really have anything special outside of gold armour and an enchanted boomerang.

Dice

Ugh, are all the clothes in the jungle and dungeon chests or something? I keep finding chests with angel statues, lesser potions, shurikens and other worthless garbage.

Kalnos

Banned
Sarcasm said:
Why? Coworker was wanting to do it.

I did it too and it became very unmanageable for mining in the area that flooded. Hard to dodge underwater while mining and watching your breath.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Dice said:
Ugh, are all the clothes in the jungle and dungeon chests or something? I keep finding chests with angel statues, lesser potions, shurikens and other worthless garbage.

W/c clothes? Most of them are drops, I doubt you'd find them in chests so easily.

Dice

HaRyu said:
W/c clothes? Most of them are drops, I doubt you'd find them in chests so easily.
huh? *checks wiki* oh for the love of... you make them?! and most the stuff is from the surface... *sigh*

NBtoaster

Kalnos said:
I did it too and it became very unmanageable for mining in the area that flooded. Hard to dodge underwater while mining and watching your breath.

Yep. And piranhas don't help.

I don't think the worms liked it either:

http://i.imgur.com/r2ewg.png

How do you deal with 5 worms at once? How does anyone get any work done down there :s

Dice

Wow, I've never had five at once, only two. Are you holding a water candle or something? I was just down there today. Kill them until they take a break and start mining. Nevermind the imps because your pick should stop the fireballs.

Terraria + Kpop is so good. I was just listening to Kara while farming to make leather.

parasight

I felt like they made the Underworld harder. The spawn rates are definitely way up. I found 2 extra Sunfury's while I was farming the Plumber Hat.

parasight said:
I felt like they made the Underworld harder. The spawn rates are definitely way up. I found 2 extra Sunfury's while I was farming the Plumber Hat.

No doubt, I used to have 2 imps on my screen max now I always have at least 5.

Mik2121

Man... just reading all those NPC's and shit added... then I look at Minecraft which still only has the pigs, cows, sheep and chickens...

Ugh.. :/

Smash88

Banned
I think I might be the record holder for the largest Jungle biome:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/Smash8888/world1.jpg

EDIT: Made it a link, since it's so freaking large.

EDIT2: Using a mirror; I guess I could make a house right above the entrance. I just found the staff of regrowth in one of those little houses in the Jungle.

EDIT3: My two cents about Terraria for anyone still on the edge, I don't like Minecraft, but I love Terraria. I don't know why, but there is so much more to do and see.

I'm having a hell of a time finding anymore of my floating islands, I really want some rocket boots. I've only found two so far - one I got a Starfury and one I got a Red Balloon.

Anyways, I've been going crazy in my world "cleaning up", basically terraforming the area all around my castle. I've flattened a good chunk and implemented more gradual slopes to the landscape making sure to try to keep it looking relatively natural with trees and such. Now I can run super quick back and forth using my Hermes Boots. Did the same thing to my high-level underground tunnels - I have a very clean and well lit network just beneath my castle now. I also went out and pushed the corruption nearest to me way back, planted new dirt, grass, and sunflowers.

Dice

parasight said:
The spawn rates are definitely way up. I found 2 extra Sunfury's while I was farming the Plumber Hat.
I just took 6 minutes to get a plumber's hat. I will accept that as an apology for the 6 hours it took to get a sunfury.

Houston3000 said:
Anyways, I've been going crazy in my world "cleaning up", basically terraforming the area all around my castle. I've flattened a good chunk and implemented more gradual slopes to the landscape making sure to try to keep it looking relatively natural with trees and such.
I did this in my first world but the new world is very mountainous. No chance of doing that unless I want to dig tunnels through them.

Atomski

Neverfade said:
That's huge. Is there fast travel back to the surface?
Theres an item called Magic Mirror. That teleports you back to your spawn point.

Until you find one though only death or quitting the game can get you back home.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have an idea on how to make a trap for monsters? Like spikes, but something that actually hurts mobs? Would be nice to go idle for a while and maybe come back to a hook or top hat.

Atomski

Monroeski said:
Anybody have an idea on how to make a trap for monsters? Like spikes, but something that actually hurts mobs? Would be nice to go idle for a while and maybe come back to a hook or top hat.
Only thing that kills monsters trap wise is lava.. but that also destroys the items dropped :p.

Dice

BRILLIANT strategy for getting a Sunfury:
http://youtu.be/B8JgBxTolp8

Man, I wish I saw this before I spent 6 hours...

Monroeski said:
Get a Muramasa, stand with your back to a wall, tape the mouse button down. Nothing will never touch you.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Atomski said:
Only thing that kills monsters trap wise is lava.. but that also destroys the items dropped :p.
Damn. That's what I thought, but I was hoping there was something else I didn't know about.

Update on my castle for those interested

Here's it from the World Viewer:
8oJFi.jpg

Here's my horribly stitched together in-game shot. Click the picture to see the full size (it's big).

My guide lives in the room on the lower left, I believe he got lost in the picture stitching process though. I need to get a couple monitors together so I can capture everything correctly :p.

dalin80

Banned
Anyone else thinking the game is getting more irritating rather then fun with each update, i was really looking forward to exploring, mining and building but dont have the chance to do anything thanks to constant swarms of enemies to kill.

Its like playing morrowind if the game spawned a 100 cliff racers against you every minute.

would love the option to set spawn rates and more in a single player game.

Dice

dalin80 said:
i was really looking forward to exploring, mining and building but dont have the chance to do anything thanks to constant swarms of enemies to kill.
Before I had strong stuff I just frequently closed off the path behind me, a stack of dirt was my best friend. Now every enemy in the game is a joke to me. I just don't pay attention to them and end up accidentally killing them. Cobalt shield gives you an 100 extra badass points in this regard.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Atomski said:

Actually, if you only use a thin layer of lava, then any drops from the monsters won't be destroyed.

In the screen, you can see to the left of my guy (the green one under the tree), you can see the thin layer of lava setup, w/ a wooden platform above it. Its not 100% effective (depending on where I'm standing, sometimes the enemies just stay on the wooden platform, not jump right through it) but enemies will fall into the lava and die. And then when I'm good and ready, I run underneath the lava and pick up the drops.

kevm3

dalin80 said:
Anyone else thinking the game is getting more irritating rather then fun with each update, i was really looking forward to exploring, mining and building but dont have the chance to do anything thanks to constant swarms of enemies to kill.

Its like playing morrowind if the game spawned a 100 cliff racers against you every minute.

would love the option to set spawn rates and more in a single player game.

I don't know who begged them to nerf things and increase the spawn rate, but it is getting extremely annoying, ESPECIALLY in the underworld. 4 or more imps teleporting around everywhere, shooting fireballs at you that go through all obstacles while 2 or 3 bone serpents run around on the screen = high agitation. I have a feeling that pirahnas will eventually get annoying, especially if they increase the spawn rate. Did anyone think the spawn rate was too small?

Audioboxer

Played this for about 5 hours solid last night :|

Got a mass amount of loot though from the underground jungle and Eye/Maneater bosses.

Just need to kill Skeletron now, but it looks like it will be hard.

Audioboxer

Tips for hell? I have shadow armour and an obisidan skull to help, but holy fuck those imps. I swear 6 if not 7 spawned and it's almost impossible to move around let alone try and mine stuff.

What weapons should I use? The Blue Moon works okay, I managed to grab that from a chest in the dungeon before a skeletron skull one hit killed me (I haven't killed boss old man).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Tips for hell? I have shadow armour and an obisidan skull to help, but holy fuck those imps. I swear 6 if not 7 spawned and it's almost impossible to move around let alone try and mine stuff.

What weapons should I use? The Blue Moon works okay, I managed to grab that from a chest in the dungeon before a skeletron skull one hit killed me (I haven't killed boss old man).

While it might be tempting, as much as possible, make corridors only big enough for you to go through, and take the time to fill in any large empty gaps with dirt. As long as you don't give them a place to spawn, it'll help you in the long run.

And if you're done w/ a corridor, fill it back up, or at least, build blocks, 1 block high, along the floor or ceiling of the corridor (making the corridor only 2 blocks open vertically, not 3). Since the the imps require a teleport location that has to be at least 4 blocks high (and 3 blocks wide), just laying down some block on the floor to lessen the height of the corridor prevents them from spawning there.

EDIT: Wait... just remembered.. your character only requires a corridor that's 3 blocks high. Doh. Just build a 3 block high corridor, they shouldn't be able to teleport into it in the first place.

Audioboxer

HaRyu said:
While it might be tempting, as much as possible, make corridors only big enough for you to go through, and take the time to fill in any large empty gaps with dirt. As long as you don't give them a place to spawn, it'll help you in the long run.

And if you're done w/ a corridor, fill it back up, or at least, build blocks, 1 block high, along the floor or ceiling of the corridor (making the corridor only 2 blocks open vertically, not 3). Since the the imps require a teleport location that has to be at least 4 blocks high (and 3 blocks wide), just laying down some block on the floor to lessen the height of the corridor prevents them from spawning there.

EDIT: Wait... just remembered.. your character only requires a corridor that's 3 blocks high. Doh. Just build a 3 block high corridor, they shouldn't be able to teleport into it in the first place.

Thanks I'll give that a go :)

I noticed I have lava everywhere as well (I know that's a duh, but not much walkable surface at all), not really sure how to deal with that to get the hellstone. Guess I'll have to try and get some water down below also.

mike23

Atomski said:

If you make the lava really thin, it will kill the monsters but not destroy items. Like 1 bucket in a hole that's 1 deep and 6 or 7 wide. You'll get a very thin layer that isn't deep enough to destroy items, or at least not most types.

Chinner said:
they''ve done something to hell cause the respawn rates have gone crazyy
They also made the fireballs not spawn hearts when they were destroyed, you may not of noticed it before but whenever you destroyed a fireball like, 20% of the time you'd gain a heart back.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Dice said:
Alright fuckers, there is only one thing I want from this world... CLOTHES!

A bit girly, perhaps, but there you have it. Sad that accessories are so limited/obvious. I mean, once you get cobalt shield, that slot is gone forever, same for rocket boots if you also have the jungle outfit, then you have another slot saved for switching between flippers and obsidian skull. The effect of whatever is in the next two is pretty limited. Right now I have health and magic regen, but even though I have rocket boots, I'm thinking the slow benefit of a single health regen is not as good as a red balloon.
There are a few good alternatives, personally I always use Hermes Boots + Cloud in a Bottle + Red Balloon. And obviously more accessories will keep getting added that will make for some difficult choices.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Houston3000 said:
Anyways, I've been going crazy in my world "cleaning up", basically terraforming the area all around my castle. I've flattened a good chunk and implemented more gradual slopes to the landscape making sure to try to keep it looking relatively natural with trees and such. Now I can run super quick back and forth using my Hermes Boots. Did the same thing to my high-level underground tunnels - I have a very clean and well lit network just beneath my castle now. I also went out and pushed the corruption nearest to me way back, planted new dirt, grass, and sunflowers.
I love your castle :D

xelios said:
That's genius.
Did not know what to expect but that is in fact genius.

Only problem is, from the sound of things I should wait until they nerf hell back to a reasonable level :lol

edit: Here's the beginnings of my glass city/main base of operations as seen by Terra Firma.
dDWAN.png

What Accessory loadout do you all use?

For every day-to-day use I wear:
- Shiny Red Balloon
- Rocket Boots
- Lucky Horseshoe
- Band of Starpower
- Band of Starpower *

When I'm spelunking I usually wear:
- Shiny Red Balloon
- Cloud in a Bottle
- Band of Regeneration
- Band of Starpower **
- Depth Meter

* Hermes Boots if I'm traveling
** Would be Cobalt Shield if I had one

I always replace the last slot with an Obsidian Skull if I'm going to Hell or find a Meteorite.

Hawkian said:
I love your castle :D

edit: Here's the beginnings of my glass city/main base of operations as seen by Terra Firma.

Thanks! It's much more traditional than your glass fortress but that's awesome, I'd love to see an in-game shot.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Houston3000 said:
What Accessory loadout do you all use?

This is pretty much my standard loadout for weapons, armor, and accessories, excluding the gel, star, and lens. Yes, I always carry a stack of wood w/ me at all times.

Also: Sunglasses w/ Leather Jacket and Leather Pants = Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom