• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

Retro

Chasing that Starbound Money, but I don't think he's a skilled enough programmer or designer to make it happen. There's a lot of things in 1.2 that are just done completely ass backwards or make very little sense. It seems obvious, even with all of the improvements to the game, that he's hit his limit. Terraria 2 will just be a chance for him to re-tread the same game with different graphics.

No mention of Starbound in the article itself, that's game's journalism for you I guess.

Chasing that Starbound Money, but I don't think he's a skilled enough programmer or designer to make it happen. There's a lot of things in 1.2 that are just done completely ass backwards or make very little sense. It seems obvious, even with all of the improvements to the game, that he's hit his limit. Terraria 2 will just be a chance for him to re-tread the same game with different graphics.

1.2 wasn't going to completely reinvent Terraria, kind of rude to judge him so completely.

Kacho

“I’d say this is probably gonna be the last seven-month update [to the original],” he chuckled. “But there’s a lot of stuff that I didn’t have the time to put into this one. For instance, there’s no final endgame boss. So I plan on, within the next month or two, finishing the endgame progression. I also have some ideas for a Halloween update I’d like to do too. I think people will get a kick out of that. So there might be a few more updates, maybe three or four months out.”

Cool. A Halloween themed update would be so much fun.

Huge news with Terraria 2. I'm very much in love with the original and would love to see an improved and expanded sequel. It's gonna be a long wait. :(

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
No mention of Starbound in the article itself, that's game's journalism for you I guess.

Not from the writer, but that part at the end sure seemed to take a dig at Starbound:

What does that mean in the near-term? Well, probably no crowdfunding, for one.

“When I made Terraria, I did it in four months, and I think I only paid, like, not very much – and that was just for the sound,” he admitted. “So I’d like to be able to do something similar with Terraria 2. My personal preference is that I never be in a position where I need to get money to fund my projects.”

Well...okay.

I'd sooner get Starbound than shell out for a Terraria 2. Just seems like an odd announcement after just pushing out a huge update. The game is already massive - I'm not ready for a direct sequel yet (even if it's a year down the road.) Not that I wouldn't get it eventually if it was good.

mileS

Discussion here for 1.2 seems pretty dead. I'm kind of surprised. I will admit the news we heard about the random stuff with ore and biomes kind of rubbed me the wrong way when I heard it. I just spent a good while making a new hardmode world, had some new starting ore and the crimson so I figured I would be getting the new hardmode ores as well. Turns out I didn't. What a waste of time. Have to make a whole new world and get to that point again now.

Anyways bitching aside I'm hooked again. Loving this game so damn much. I was getting my ass kicked with some of the new things in hardmode dungeon. Managed to pick up a few new spells, got the extremely overpowered Spectre armor with lifesteal. What a game charger. Now I'm the one whos kicking ass as long as I'm careful. Time to hit up the jungle and see if I can max out my life with the new stuff.

J. Bravo

Discussion here for 1.2 seems pretty dead. I'm kind of surprised. I will admit the news we heard about the random stuff with ore and biomes kind of rubbed me the wrong way when I heard it. I just spent a good while making a new hardmode world, had some new starting ore and the crimson so I figured I would be getting the new hardmode ores as well. Turns out I didn't. What a waste of time. Have to make a whole new world and get to that point again now.

Anyways bitching aside I'm hooked again. Loving this game so damn much. I was getting my ass kicked with some of the new things in hardmode dungeon. Managed to pick up a few new spells, got the extremely overpowered Spectre armor with lifesteal. What a game charger. Now I'm the one whos kicking ass as long as I'm careful. Time to hit up the jungle and see if I can max out my life with the new stuff.

I've been too busy finding dope ass weapons in the dungeon.
Paladin's hammer, got true night's edge (super lucky with that), staff of the frost hydra.
Not much room for discussion lmao.

Still on normal but I pretty much just cleared my dungeon. There's the biome-specific locked chests but not much else besides decorations.

What really helped was this flying skull spell that Skeletron dropped. Apparently it's new to 1.2, something like 14% drop rate. Does 40 damage I think? And it cleaves through enemies. Either way, super imba for my progress so far.

Not sure if I work more on hell stuff or go through the jungle first. Don't know if there's a pyramid in this world. Haven't seen a living tree either, even though I've seen them on other worlds.

That's it for now - I'll post more of my progress as it comes. Will probably save any fancy build projects for the GAG server and just go with the basics on my own. Treehouse stuff was fun at first, but making nice houses can get tiresome when you're on an exploration kick and behind on housing already.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Discussion here for 1.2 seems pretty dead. I'm kind of surprised.

I've been too busy playing. Played like 6 hours Tuesday night and a bit over 4 last night. I started a brand new character on a brand new small world. Found some new tree and wood types, seems like my world only has lead in it which seems to replace iron? I still have copper, silver, and gold, so I got unlucky there. Don't think I have a pyramid, I do have the crimson though which looks nice. I'm liking the little treasure rooms scattered about the map too. I beat the Eye of Cthulu last night (it was a long hard battle though) and attempted Skeletron but I'm nowhere near geared enough yet for him.

Lots of new little stuff in the game which I'm slowly discovering. The addition of the map just might be my favorite change of the patch, its very handy. The patch really did flesh the game out in lots of little ways. I'm sure as I explore this new map I'll discover a lot more along the way.

I'll be playing this game for a long time it seems, I'm hooked again.

Retro

Taking a short break from Terraria for the evening, I've got a rough idea where I want that large structure to go next and then it will be done... and then I can start working on OTHER NPC structures.

1.2 wasn't going to completely reinvent Terraria, kind of rude to judge him so completely.

It isn't just 1.2; the whole history of the game has been one stumble to the next. It's a very good game, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Terraria was really the first to do "Minecraft 2-D" and less to do with Redigit himself. I'd love to see this genre in the hands of a capable developer (i.e. hopefully Starbound).

Discussion here for 1.2 seems pretty dead. I'm kind of surprised.

Only because so many people are playing rather than discussing.

Agkel

Houston, We've got a problem!

A fellow member (not me this time :p) turned Hard mode on at 5:15 (10 min ago). Weird since Hard mode was deactivated. Hopefully it can be reverted. My beautiful castle on the west coast trembles at the thought of a server reset.

J. Bravo

Houston, We've got a problem!

A fellow member (not me this time :p) turned Hard mode on at 5:15 (10 min ago). Weird since Hard mode was deactivated. Hopefully it can be reverted. My beautiful castle on the west coast trembles at the thought of a server reset.

:( that was me. I was under the impression hardmode was disabled so when the harpy I killed dropped the voodoo doll in the lava, I thought nothing of killing the Wall of Flesh...he didn't even drop anything but hearts and coins.

All that should need to be done is opening the world up in TEdit and unchecking the Wall of Flesh killled / Hardmode enabled boxes.

Sorry guys, lol. This solar eclipse is srs business tho.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry about the hard mode. We have server backups.

I'll need to double check the config, I thought I disabled it...

There was a snow biome really near me, so I decided to check it out.
Found a nice sword, especially coming from a Wooden one and this early, with a double jump item! I kept going deeper until I found an NPC underground, I went to check it out just to get my face rip off.

This fucking game.

Stoof

Bought this game a while ago during a Steam sale but haven't tried playing a whole lot. Maybe I can give it a go tonight!

Enco

Ehhh.

Played Terraria for over 50 hours and had many great moments but I have no intention of coming back.

Gave it a shot but I just got bored.

I need Starbound. That's all. Seems like it'll be a few years before release though.

Holy hell, Terraria is BACK.

Totally intended on only an hour last night, ended up spending 4 hours playing.

I LOOOOVE the new obsidian furniture, doors, vases, walls etc.. Going to do a new obsidian castle for sure. Paintings everywhere. New gear. Flare gun is awesome for early exploration, the second chest I found right at the start of my new toon/world had it and it's been a blessing for early exploration.

And those masssssiive trees! Going to get building my own treehouse base near an obsidian castle.

Can't wait to play more. I can see another 100 hours in this shit easy haha.. This game.

J. Bravo

New patch is out, so server won't work if you close Terraria. Good time to reset it probably.

Be warned, possible spoilers ahead.

Hey guys! Here is the list of changes you can expect in this patch update!

-Bug Fixes-
⦁ The game will no longer look for the square root of zero.
⦁ Projectiles and harpoon should no longer cause out of memory exception
⦁ The guide will no longer say you need a hammer to break life crystals
⦁ The guide will no longer say you need 10 fallen stars to make a mana crystal
⦁ Dungeon platform item icons will now display the right color
⦁ Clay pot dupe no longer works
⦁ Snipers will now drop sniper rifles
⦁ Opening doors will no longer cause a room to be unsuitable
⦁ Hardmode summon items will no longer drop from monsters that have been spawned from statues
⦁ Chests, crystal hearts, and statues should no longer spawn on ice
⦁ Crafting recipe for sticky glowsticks has been fixed
⦁ Pumping honey will no longer turn honey into water
⦁ Fixed trashing coin dupe
⦁ Shadow orb and fairy bell no longer show a duration
⦁ If you place a bed somewhere that would cause you to not spawn without breaking through blocks you will now get a message when trying to set your spawn point letting you know the bed is not in a suitable position.
⦁ Fixed a bug with cooking marshmallows with your mouse
⦁ Blackout debuff can no longer be removed by right clicking it
⦁ Slightly reduced how much memory the map requires on large worlds
⦁ You can no longer use actuators to deactivate temple blocks before killing Plantera
⦁ The flare gun will no longer light up when you are out of torches
⦁ You can now craft battle potions with vertebrae
⦁ Lihzahrd altar should now spawn and use power cells properly
⦁ Minimum particle display has been increased for certain conditions
⦁ Switch duplication no longer works
⦁ Notes from the magical harp now count as magic and should trigger the spectre set bonus
⦁ Bombs will no longer blow up chlorophyte
⦁ You can no longer break into Lihzahrd temple with chlorophyte drill

Patch says it fixes that crash bug I've been having, hopefully that's the case. Think it may have resulted in one BSOD too.

Too much fun with the harpoon guys :(

J. Bravo

Wow, I found some blocks in the jungle that my previously OP Spectre Pickaxe can't break through :(

Not even dynamite breaks them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It isn't just 1.2; the whole history of the game has been one stumble to the next. It's a very good game, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Terraria was really the first to do "Minecraft 2-D" and less to do with Redigit himself. I'd love to see this genre in the hands of a capable developer (i.e. hopefully Starbound).

I'm curious, but what makes you think that Redigit isn't a capable developer? I honestly think he's done a wonderful job with Terraria, and to me he seems very capable. He's certainly done an above average job with the game, and I wish I had his skills with programming and game design.

VandalD

The Paladin's Hammer is pretty great, but the Death Sickle just feels far superior. Found some Vampire Knives in
the locked crimson chest in the dungeon
, and those just tear things apart while leeching life. The Terra Blade wasn't really worth crafting in comparison to these. Someone in Turtle armor using knives while a caster is using Spectre armor would probably make for a badass duo.

About the difficulty level of 1.2:
I haven't had to make use of potion effects very much. At most, I'll use a regen and iron skin, and I only did that with my first fight against the Twins. Even chain-killed the Golem without potions. 1.1 felt much more difficult. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. The 1.1 hardmode bosses felt exceptionally strong, like a set of legitimate end-game bosses, to the point where one of my goals was just to beat all of them. Even posted videos of it to Youtube to prove to others that it was possible while solo.

It's a bit strange that so many "melee" weapons throw projectiles, but I'm not sure what else they could've done. Being in melee range of a boss, even with all the extra defense, is usually a bad idea unless you outgear it. It's why I switched to magic in 1.1. Now, with all the ranged "melee" stuff, and the high defense, you can do good damage from mid range, not have to guzzle mana potions, and have good defense. I got a full set of Spectre, and some of the awesome new spells, but the mana cost makes me not want to try them much. Kind of a similar thing with ranged weapons and ammo. I'd rather just not have to worry about it.

What's with those modifiers? I just made a Platinum Pickaxe, but it is shameful and stuff.
Those have been in the game since 1.1. Accessories, tools, and weapons can spawn or be crafted with prefixes that change their stats a bit. The goblin NPC can be paid to randomly change the prefix on an item.

Wow, I found some blocks in the jungle that my previously OP Spectre Pickaxe can't break through :(

Not even dynamite breaks them.
You need to
kill Plantera and use the key it drops to get inside. There will be a door to use it on. May have to dig around to get to it.

Edit: Also, Terraria updated about an hour ago, so the server won't let folks on.

Retro

I'm curious, but what makes you think that Redigit isn't a capable developer? I honestly think he's done a wonderful job with Terraria, and to me he seems very capable. He's certainly done an above average job with the game, and I wish I had his skills with programming and game design.

Multiplayer has never worked, there's memory issues with projectiles (how does that make it to release?), the original game was full of issues that were really only fixed in 1.1, and he's had to cut a ton of features (including Extra Large worlds) and god knows what else just to get the game out the door. Things like duping are still absurdly easy. We found a bug today that won't let you build if you're holding a rope. Liquids continually bug out too; sometimes they float in mid-air. Some walls 'accept' paint, but do not change appearance, but still consume paint 'ammo' into infinity. Items don't stack when you pick them up; gel goes directly into your inventory rather than your ammo slot.

Design wise, the game is all over the place. For example, there used to be semi-decent items (Lucky Horseshoe, Red Balloon) that spawned on sky islands. Then they were put in locked chests that required dungeon exploration. Now those chests are unlocked again, but it doesn't matter; there's items that are actually upgraded versions of those (Sandstorm in a bottle) that spawn at surface level.

The game is packed full of things like that. Stuff that, from a design standpoint, shows a lack of comprehension for even basic design principles. Even in 1.2, years after release, there's still a ton of stuff that makes very little sense. Like, why waste even a little development time on alternative materials that serve no purpose but to confuse players who are already dealing with a pretty steep learning curve? Why are items that allow you to breathe longer placed in chests at the deepest part of the ocean?

The most annoying example I've dealt with is the sheer number of tools. If you want to paint, you need a Paintbrush, a Paint Roller, a paint scraper (assuming you want to correct mistakes) and then you need to buy paint on a one-per-tile basis. Three tools, plus however much paint you want to carry. Want to do any kind of wiring? There are (I shit you not) 3 different colored wrenches that use one ammo (wire), plus Wire Cutters to correct any mistakes. Four tools, one ammo. Then you also need pumps, switches, levers... actuators were added, finally, so now you don't need to use 'active stone blocks' which are completely useless.

Meanwhile, you look at previews for Starbound and they have one tool for building (Left click for foreground, right click for background: no need to craft blocks AND walls). You can hold down a modifier to place either in 2x2 squares instead of one at a time. It also has a 'preview' so you never place an object in the wrong spot, and others can see what you're adding as well. Not to mention the build speed is MUCH faster (seriously filling in background walls in Starbound looks like it will take less than half the time Terraria does). Their paint tool is a paint 'gun' that doesn't require individual paint items (as near as I can tell, it doesn't even have ammo), and you simply scroll through the various colors to paint instead of having to carry each individual color with you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Terraria and playing the hell out of it, but I can't help but think that in the hands of someone who didn't fail out of high school and has some actual design sense, it could be amazing. It seems like everyone figured that out a while ago since everyone who worked with him left (and not on good terms, it would seem).

It's a bit strange that so many "melee" weapons throw projectiles, but I'm not sure what else they could've done. Being in melee range of a boss, even with all the extra defense, is usually a bad idea unless you outgear it. It's why I switched to magic in 1.1. Now, with all the ranged "melee" stuff, and the high defense, youI can do good damage from mid range, not have to guzzle mana potions, and have good defense. I got a full set of Spectre, and some of the awesome new spells, but the mana cost makes me not want to try them much. Kind of a similar thing with ranged weapons and ammo. I'd rather just not have to worry about it.

Using a set of shackles and the pre-combined rings (Starpower and Regeneration) you can create an accessory that raises max mana and causes you to regain mana from damage dealt to you. You basically end up with infinite mana using it in hardmode, as incidental damage from all the crap flying around in boss fights will constantly top you off.

The new melee stuff is definitely nice, though. I feel like, as cool as they are, the ranged weapons are finally the short end of the stick; even the Rocket Launcher, Tactical Shotgun, and Stynger don't really impress me that much.

The new bosses aren't supposed to be 'end game' so much as a sideways progression forking off the other hard mode bosses, and the developer's already stated his intention to add a 'real' end game boss fight in the next couple of months, possibly alongside a Halloween-themed update.

Agkel

Two part question:
-Is there a way to move server world through patches w/o having to reset the world every update
-Can I somehow "make" a snapshot copy of the server world to use on SP?

I spent a looooooot of hours on the current map already and I would hate to lose the work on my castle. I'll settle for a SP copy.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Server UPDATE: Hardmode cleaned, reverted map to whatever it was around 4:11pm.

HOWEVER, Terraria 1.2.0.2 was JUST released a few hours ago. The problem with that is there's no 1.2.0.2 version of TShock, so some of you, who may have automatically updated to 1.2.0.2, may not be able to login to the server.

With that being said, as soon as it pops up, I'll put up another update to let you guys know its ready. I can't begin to express how much I hate this part of running the server, when the stupid actual game updates dont match with the server mods. *sigh*

Two part question:
-Is there a way to move server world through patches w/o having to reset the world every update
-Can I somehow "make" a snapshot copy of the server world to use on SP?

I spent a looooooot of hours on the current map already and I would hate to lose the work on my castle. I'll settle for a SP copy.

Oh, the only reason we reset the world last time was because fresh world for when the server mods kicked in. I'm not going to reset the world after each patch (unless new patch is somehow game changing that it really does require a reset).

I'd rather not make a snapshot of the ENTIRE world (because spoilers), but I can section off your build project and stick it in a schematic that you can plop down in TEdit.

kevm3

Something I want to see in an upgrade is enemies that can actually destroy your structures unless it is made of a material stronger than what they are capable of destroying. That would make having traps and the such much more interesting. It'd be a lot more interesting if when night fall came, some huge beast would be stalking through the night, so you go to your shelter and you hope it stands up because he's trying to tear it down. It'd give the building a bit more purpose.

Agkel

Oh, the only reason we reset the world last time was because fresh world for when the server mods kicked in. I'm not going to reset the world after each patch (unless new patch is somehow game changing that it really does require a reset).

I'd rather not make a snapshot of the ENTIRE world (because spoilers), but I can section off your build project and stick it in a schematic that you can plop down in TEdit.

Cool cool, the only reason I was asking is, bcs I was afraid I might "lose" all those hours. If the world is not reset then, I'm ok. No need to snapshot or anything like that.

I know eventually the server will go boom (Come on Starbound) and I'm ok with that, just didn't want to lose my castle while I was still having fun. :)

BTW Thanks for running the server! :)

Retro

Something I want to see in an upgrade is enemies that can actually destroy your structures unless it is made of a material stronger than what they are capable of destroying. That would make having traps and the such much more interesting. It'd be a lot more interesting if when night fall came, some huge beast would be stalking through the night, so you go to your shelter and you hope it stands up because he's trying to tear it down. It'd give the building a bit more purpose.

They did this with Clowns during Hardmode Bloodmoons and it was almost universally despised by the players on the Official Forums, so it was removed.

I can't say I blame them, but then, I'm a builder so I don't like my shit getting wrecked.

Agkel

Server UPDATE: Hardmode cleaned, reverted map to whatever it was around 4:11pm.

eeeeek Hardmode was gone, we all thought you had cleaned it before. Lost a big chunk of my castle w/ the reverse and I think some of Retros work is gone too.

It's ok though I understand, still the pains the pains!!!

VandalD

Wow, that's a pain.

How do you find Death's sickle or w/e?
You get it from
reapers during the solar eclipse. Seems to be a very rare drop. I've had two solar eclipses so far, killed a ton of enemies, and only had one drop.

Using a set of shackles and the pre-combined rings (Starpower and Regeneration) you can create an accessory that raises max mana and causes you to regain mana from damage dealt to you. You basically end up with infinite mana using it in hardmode, as incidental damage from all the crap flying around in boss fights will constantly top you off.

The new melee stuff is definitely nice, though. I feel like, as cool as they are, the ranged weapons are finally the short end of the stick; even the Rocket Launcher, Tactical Shotgun, and Stynger don't really impress me that much.

The new bosses aren't supposed to be 'end game' so much as a sideways progression forking off the other hard mode bosses, and the developer's already stated his intention to add a 'real' end game boss fight in the next couple of months, possibly alongside a Halloween-themed update.
Might look into that accessory then. Could be nice to switch it up. Definitely agree about ranged weapons. Shame about the new bosses - I don't remember it being said they were just more alternate bosses. What with all the super powered gear that appears in late hardmode, the original bosses are kind of a joke. Plantera and
the golem
feel like they should be obvious steps up from the others, and then over Plantera, but both were easier than I remember the original hardmode bosses being in 1.1, even in full adamantite.

I died four times getting to where I am now. First time, a boulder fell on me. Second time, fall damage while running from Wall of Flesh. Wasn't ready to fight it anyway. Third time,
"This will be a horrible night" happened while I still had Molten armor and no wings. Twins absolutely destroyed me.
Fourth time, current final boss finally killed me, after I killed it about five times.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
eeeeek Hardmode was gone, we all thought you had cleaned it before. Lost a big chunk of my castle w/ the reverse and I think some of Retros work is gone too.

It's ok though I understand, still the pains the pains!!!

I have the server setup to backup every hour, and those backups have a retention of 5 days.

If your build was on a later time period, I can recover that specific section, just let me know the latest time you want to use.

Agkel

I have the server setup to backup every hour, and those backups have a retention of 5 days.

If your build was on a later time period, I can recover that specific section, just let me know the latest time you want to use.

If it's too much work for you, just forget about it. You've done more than enough running the server. If it's an easy procedure, I would like to use the last backup available before you reset the world.

But again only if it's an easy process. My section is the far west to the coast. The big castle next to the ocean.

Might look into that accessory then. Could be nice to switch it up. Definitely agree about ranged weapons. Shame about the new bosses - I don't remember it being said they were just more alternate bosses. What with all the super powered gear that appears in late hardmode, the original bosses are kind of a joke. Plantera and
the golem
feel like they should be obvious steps up from the others, and then over Plantera, but both were easier than I remember the original hardmode bosses being in 1.1, even in full adamantite.

The exact (intended) difficult of the new bosses is a bit hard for me to judge, since I did them in full Spectre Armor with the Inferno Fork. The way it functions, it just completely trivializes fights where there are a lot of potential targets for the fire bursts to hit. I get the impression they're supposed to be about as tough as The Twins or Skeletron Prime, though, as opposed to actually being stronger.

I died a ton in the new Dungeon before I farmed up my current gear, to the extent that I built myself a little house over top of it and laid down a bed to settle in for the long haul, and had campfires built inside the dungeon itself to just try and last longer. Pretty much any time a Diabolist or Necromancer spawned I was most likely dead. I can still get killed there if a Necromancer and Paladin decide to double-up on me.

My biggest disappointment, actually, is that there still isn't any 'Hardmode Hell' content. There's a certain irony to the fact that Hell is now by far the safest place to be once hardmode is initiated, with the monsters there being absolutely beyond trivial compared to even the 'normal' biome spawns. Here's hoping he decides to do a reprise of Hell for the final 'end-game' boss.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, server finally updated to latest version of the mod software, we're back in business.

(Until an update kicks in again...)

J. Bravo

Anyone get a hero's Broken Sword yet?

2 eclipses and 2 pirate's map and I still haven't gotten it.

Yeah I found one my first try and made a True Night's Edge with it. Gone through a few more eclipses before I found my Scythe. I don't really like eclipses lol.

edit: oh btw, the creepy house to the left of Retro's absurdly detailed building is mine. It has a safe and a piggy bank in it if you need access to that stuff.

JWong

Banned
Where the hell do stingers drop? Killed a bunch of moss hornets instead of hornets, but that's all I could find in the jungle biodome.

VandalD

Checked out the server again today. Built a weird looking house in the corruption. Not sure what else to do with it, if anything. Maybe expand downwards. I wanted to make sure anyone that just wants to go further to the left can just run straight on through.
AABEDDF47D440593E0B8255173AC9A76B5F065D6
Retro's dryad temple thingy is much more awesome though.

Pretty much at the end of normal mode in terms of progression on my world now. Though some extensive exploration and preparation is necessary before trying hardmode, which I've never done before (I mainly played pre-1.1 before.)

I do have to say though, I'm not a huge fan of the way the power curve works in this game. Once you get a couple good special items your ability to acquire more accelerates rapidly. I don't know - being more powerful is fun, but I feel like everything is a bit more charming when you're weaker and it's just you and your trusty pickaxe vs. the world. Maybe being able to consult the wiki has spoiled me, which I suppose is more of an issue with this kind of game.

Rope is definitely the best 1.2 addition to the game though. Fantastic early on when you'd otherwise be making truckfuls of wood platforms and just lots of fun in general.

Top Bottom