• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

Nebula

I'm not ready for this!

Earlier I had a Blood Moon and then a Solar eclipse. Now I just got Solar Eclipse -> normal night -> Solar Eclipse.

WOW!

At least this time I got Orichalcum Armour to save my ass.

Costia

I'm not ready for this!

Earlier I had a Blood Moon and then a Solar eclipse. Now I just got Solar Eclipse -> normal night -> Solar Eclipse.

WOW!

At least this time I got Orichalcum Armour to save my ass.
Looks like it's the only way to get a hero's broken sword, and i didnt have a single solar eclipse yet.
Do you know if there are any conditions for the solar eclipse? Did you kill any hardmode bosses?

Taffer

Looks like it's the only way to get a hero's broken sword, and i didnt have a single solar eclipse yet.
Do you know if there are any conditions for the solar eclipse? Did you kill any hardmode bosses?

Haven't played in 1.2 hardmode much yet but when the GAF server accidentally went into hardmode a few days ago there was a solar eclipse immediately so I'm guessing it's just a random chance, same as blood moons.

Nebula

I seem to be getting them frequently but I have not killed any hard mode bosses yet. I got 2 Broken Hero Swords, a Death Sickle and a Moon Stone in my most recent Solar Eclipse (I'm at 5 now.)

I now have True Nights Edge. WOW is all I can say. I prefer the Death Sickle however.

ByAyRNC.gif

Martheron

Just started to look into the game again last night after I saw all the update info and saw that the free play time to FFXIV was about out and decided to start playing again. I've found two parts to the ancient shadow armor and killed the floating eye once. I kind of feel like I want to try online for a bit. Would it be worth getting on the GAF server or is everyone who plays already well past me and on hardmode now?

VandalD

Trying out some trap placement in the arena. Seems pressure plates don't work. At least the yellow ones don't. I'll keep trying different things.

Edit: It's just the yellow pressure plates that don't work. Odd.
Edit again: I can't place dart traps that face to the right. Or flame traps.
Just started to look into the game again last night after I saw all the update info and saw that the free play time to FFXIV was about out and decided to start playing again. I've found two parts to the ancient shadow armor and killed the floating eye once. I kind of feel like I want to try online for a bit. Would it be worth getting on the GAF server or is everyone who plays already well past me and on hardmode now?
The server isn't on hardmode, but it's much easier to navigate with some form of flight, or at least a grappling hook. I'd think a lot of the chests have been looted too, though not all of them. You might be able to have some progression on the server, but it'd likely be easier and faster on your own.

Come to the server just to say hello and see the crazy things people are building there. You can go back to your world any time.

And the server is not on hardmode, so it's safe.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

I disabled Hardmode, so it's not an issue. Come to hang out and build, and eventual PvP, spur of the moment boss fights, but don't expect much in terms of finding loot in chests.

Nebula

If I go to the left on the server my Terraria crashes :( Must be that massive mountain.

Looks really good on the server though. Lovely builds.

VandalD

So I did this ... But apparently there's still a bug related to paint, because nobody can see it, and I guess it will be lost if I relog :(
How it shows up:
WTF, Terraria?

I wired traps into the arena. May put more in, but don't want to flood the place with them. Was going to put darts in, but they only point left for some reason.
1754A77155F23526A7FE34C0C363BE6FDE573746

They hurt.

If, for whatever reason, traps are not wanted, there is this.
If the sandstone blocks next to the lever are inactive, traps are active, and vice versa. Seems to work well!

Raxum

So after playing far too much over the weekend in a new world and many deaths later (I was trying to rush too much, did the eye and eater in copper armor though), I've gotten my character to 'end-game' content. Some of the new spells and armor variants are pretty ridiculous. Have also farmed a few of the newer bosses to see what gear I can get.

The Pickaxe you get from the Golem boss is ridiculous, mines everything so fast, but it doesn't address the biggest problem I have with single player, which is trying to dig multiple blocks quickly. It would be nice to have some form of selection mechanic and to dig all those blocks at once.

Ropes are a nice addition to the game and have made hellevators much safer now, I use one to be able to grab onto when close to the bottom, though I have accessories to use for that, it certainly was nice early game when I forgot to go to the sky islands.

I am currently working on getting the last NPC I know that I'm missing, Truffle, and the last few pieces of gear from the biome specific chests in the dungeon (that 1 in 4000 drop rate for keys, time to sacrifice a goat to the RNG gods). Once that's done, I'll happily move on to my building projects before trying to get an extra full set of every armor for mannequins, 1 of every vanity item and at least 1 of every weapon for chests to be stored in a world for later use.

Retro

So here's *roughly* what I have planned for the GAF server.

Going left, from the GAF Tower, heading up the hill.
* Warehouse / Merchant Housing (DONE)
* Foundry / Crafting Hall / Tinkerer Housing / Obsidian Generator (DONE)
* Steampunker's Lab / Advanced Crafting / Steampunker, Mechanic Housing
* Museum / Library / Guide, Artist Housing
* Costume Shop / Dyer's Shop / Clothier, Dye Trader housing
* Temple / Nurse, Dryad housing (DONE)

Since no one has appropriated the Tree to the right of GAF Tower, I may use that to house the Witch Doctor and build some stuff over on that side of the tower for the other NPCs. That seems like a good place for a fortress as well, to house the Demolitionist and Arms Dealer.

There's a few other NPCs to place, but those are sort of the big ones. After that, we'll see. Party Girl could probably be tucked into the little pool area, and I don't think we have the others (Pirate, Truffle, Wizard, Cyborg) yet.

And then I think I'm more or less done with Terraria. Building the Warehouse and Foundry has revealed even more flaws, shortcomings and stupid design choices in this game and every time I build something only to find I'm needlessly restricted, all I can think is "This won't happen in Starbound".

Costia

I think you need to start a hardmode event to get the pirate. You could probably do it without entering hardmode using a pirate map, but the enemies are probably still going to be tough.

Drazgul

I started a new character with 1.2 and haven't even begun hardmode yet. In the Dungeon now.

Yeah, me and my brother just switched on fresh characters, been a blast so far. Speaking of hard mode, does anyone bother with trying to contain hollow/corruption from spreading? We're overdue to move our base anyway, and I was wondering if I should just make it a floating base - on a large map at least it seems like a huge hassle to try and stop the spreading.

Nebula

Yeah, me and my brother just switched on fresh characters, been a blast so far. Speaking of hard mode, does anyone bother with trying to contain hollow/corruption from spreading? We're overdue to move our base anyway, and I was wondering if I should just make it a floating base - on a large map at least it seems like a huge hassle to try and stop the spreading.

The giant trees seem to be fantastic at stopping it spreading. I got a large area that contains snow, mushroom and forest that isn't corrupted or Hallowed which is all between two giant trees.

Best thing to do is dig holes about 2-4 wide down in between normal mode corruption and whatever biome it neighbors. Should stop it spreading, on the surface at least.

Drazgul

The giant trees seem relatively rare, be glad if you have one in your world. Same with the desert temples.

Current 1.2.0.3 patch notes (subject to change):

Bug Fixes and Changes:
  • Dungeon guardian now does 1000 damage
  • Chlorophyte Drill and Pickaxe can now mine Chlorophyte
  • The Rod of Discord now properly drops
  • The Uzi now has the correct drop rate
  • Easy mode jungle enemies now have a small chance of spawning in hardmode jungle
  • Moss hornets can now drop Bezoars
  • You can no longer duplicate items with the merchant
  • Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls
  • Fixed a bug that would cause monsters to despawn on servers but not clients
  • You can no longer duplicate items through reforge
  • The Mummy Shirt now correctly shows the players hand
  • The graphic for Pirate Pants has been fixed
  • The Party Girl will now sell the Bubble Wand
  • The Mushroom Spear can now be reforged
  • The Heat Ray now uses mana
  • Marshmallows no longer duplicate (for real this time)
  • The Frost Breastplate now correctly gives bonus based off the tooltip
  • You can no longer sell money
  • Orichalcum axe now requires an orichalcum anvil to craft
  • Fixed an exploit that would crash servers and clients
  • You can now attack the Clothier with the Clothier Voodoo doll equipped
  • Purification powder now works on crimson ice
  • Holy water now works on crimson
  • Eclipses are no longer persistent between worlds
  • Fixed switch duplication bug
  • Fixed a bug that would cause tiles to be painted on multiplayer when they shouldn’t be
  • Reduced the number of particles some items/spells create
  • Slightly improved performance when a large number of particles are on screen
  • Fixed a bug that would cause coins to disappear instead of converting into the next highest currency
  • Lucky coin no longer drops coins from statue spawned monsters
  • Bunny cannon will return to you when broken
  • NPCs that require Plantera to be defeated to sell things now do so correctly in multiplayer
  • King and Queen statues will correctly summon the new NPCs
  • Typing before the password screen when hosting will no longer cause those keys to be the password
  • Holding coins when dying will now correctly drop those as well
  • Flame thrower now does ranged damage instead of magic
  • Blue and Green Wrenches show the number of wire available

Balance Changes:
  • The defense of Spectre Armor has been lowered
  • Life return from Spectre Armor has been reduced to 5%
  • The defense of Turtle Armor has been lowered
  • The attack speed, damage, and life return of Vampire Knives has been lowered
  • Dungeon Spirit spawn chance has been lowered
  • Increased the reach of wrenches and wire cutters

New Items:
  • 87 new banners were added as drops from monsters

Drazgul

I cut the tree down for wood. Does this make me a bad person? :(

Did you check the
roots
? Partly the reason I'd like to see one of those trees, but I generated some medium-sized worlds yesterday (and checked them with a mapper) but had no giant trees or desert temples.

Costia

Did you check the
roots
? Partly the reason I'd like to see one of those trees, but I generated some medium-sized worlds yesterday (and checked them with a mapper) but had no giant trees or desert temples.
No. I will check when I get home, but i didn't notice any.
It appeared on the first and only small map i generated.
I made a copy of the world before making it hardmode. There is a chance the tree is still intact there. So I guess i should check there as well.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... I think computer had to do a mandatory windows update last night, so it rebooted, so sorry for anyone who tried to get on the server last night.

Server will be up in a bit.

Pretty sure the pyramid temples are more rare than the giant trees. Not to mention (spoilering cause some people might not want to know I guess)
You can create your own giant tree with items found inside them. One makes leaves from wood, the other makes the living wood blocks from wood.

Did you check the
roots

Really? First new world after 1.2 right off the bat I had crimson snow/desert/jungle, 2 sand temples, and like 3-4 giant trees (though one of em didn't have a loot room, what a rip).

Also, OT but holy balls has GAF been as unreliable lately for anyone else as it has for me the last week or so? There are periods I swear where I can only get the page to load past a DB error after like 4-5 refreshes.

Costia

Really? First new world after 1.2 right off the bat I had crimson snow/desert/jungle, 2 sand temples, and like 3-4 giant trees (though one of em didn't have a loot room, what a rip).

Also, OT but holy balls has GAF been as unreliable lately for anyone else as it has for me the last week or so? There are periods I swear where I can only get the page to load past a DB error after like 4-5 refreshes.

GAF barely worked for a day or so when the HL3 trademark and Jira screenshots were posted here, so it got a lot of traffic. Besides that it worked fine for me.

Why the underworld bats in the GAF server hitting so hard? Pretty sure they are weaker on my world (prehardmode). And those Unholy Tridents just rip me a new one everything they appear.

Costia

Did you check the
roots

I checked. Didn't find anything.
Also, apparently I had 2 of those trees on my small map.

VandalD

Why the underworld bats in the GAF server hitting so hard? Pretty sure they are weaker on my world (prehardmode). And those Unholy Tridents just rip me a new one everything they appear.
Sounds like the server got put into hardmode somehow. Tridents are from the upgraded demons, and bats don't normally hit hard. Time to investigate.
Edit: Doesn't seem to be on hardmode, but the Red Devils are appearing because hardmode bosses have been killed. If you don't have hardmode equipment, be very careful down there.

Sounds like the server got put into hardmode somehow. Tridents are from the upgraded demons, and bats don't normally hit hard. Time to investigate.
Edit: Doesn't seem to be on hardmode, but the Red Devils are appearing because hardmode bosses have been killed. If you don't have hardmode equipment, be very careful down there.

Just checked my world, those bats in the GAF server hit harder and have 160 hp. They are Lava Bats unlike the normal mode Hellbats.

Yeah I encountered them the other day, thought it was a bug or something. They're really dangerous though.

Raxum

Update is out.

Darn, I only got to play around with the Vampire knives for about 30 mins or so last night after I got them and now they've been nerfed. Pretty happy that I've already got all my golem drops and have already moved the Altar to an arena to fight him in.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Since there's a new Terraria update, as usual, server will pretty much be down until TShock mod is updated. *sigh*

Raxum

how do you find those? I made myself a small world, spawned in ice biome, still haven't found one

Biome keys are found in hardmode in the underground parts of the biome I believe. That's where I've found all of mine (I even set up a meteorhead farm in each of the underground biomes I didn't have in order to get them, took me a long time). They're a 1 in 4000 chance to drop from any enemy in the biome.

iosefe

Biome keys are found in hardmode in the underground parts of the biome I believe. That's where I've found all of mine (I even set up a meteorhead farm in each of the underground biomes I didn't have in order to get them, took me a long time). They're a 1 in 4000 chance to drop from any enemy in the biome.

hardmode too spooky. thanks for the info, though.

Drazgul

Record it, because that'd be cool to see.

According to the immutable laws of gaming, all the summons should go splat in half an instant and then you'll be screwed.

Stupid Blizzard, all the sorcs laughed at my necromancer...

That Paladin guy is a total dick btw., wouldn't be so bad alone but I'm sure he has some hidden trigger to spawn those casters once he gets to <20%. Totally worth the few deaths to get back at him, though:

aY6a8Hy.jpg

I'm a caster but that thing is just delicious.

Top Bottom