• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Server maintenance performed, server is live again,
Please be aware that I will usually perform some sort of server maintenance in the morning, EST, usually between 6-9am.

Agkel, your castle has been restored to the server.

Where the hell do stingers drop? Killed a bunch of moss hornets instead of hornets, but that's all I could find in the jungle biodome.
Its been a while, because I hate the jungle in general, but stingers are a pretty damn rare drop to begin with. Your best best is to make a "hornet trap", it'll be the fastest way to grind those bastards, but still will take time.

edit: oh btw, the creepy house to the left of Retro's absurdly detailed building is mine. It has a safe and a piggy bank in it if you need access to that stuff.
If anyone is concerned about other players looting your stuff, I'm going to be testing region locks over the weekend. Supposedly, included in the region lock, I can turn on chest locks too. This means any storage in those areas that are locked and assigned to you, only you can access them.

Retro's dryad temple thingy is much more awesome though.
OCD.

Checked out the server again today. Built a weird looking house in the corruption. Not sure what else to do with it, if anything. Maybe expand downwards. I wanted to make sure anyone that just wants to go further to the left can just run straight on through.

Retro's dryad temple thingy is much more awesome though.

Damn, I am so bad at this compared to you guys ._.

I'm thinking of joining up on this server just to get owned by your designs so that I have a reason to make better ones. :x

Agkel

Server maintenance performed, server is live again,
Please be aware that I will usually perform some sort of server maintenance in the morning, EST, usually between 6-9am.

Agkel, your castle has been restored to the server.

You're too awesome!!! Thx again!

Yeah guys, just join up on the server. My build are crap compare to what Retro does but I get to learn a lot from what he does and it's pretty fun messing around (in a good way) with other people.

Taffer

There's a patch of crimson just left of spawn on the GAF server now, if someone planted it deliberately please stop it from spreading before it consumes the builds there.

J. Bravo

There's a patch of crimson just left of spawn on the GAF server now, if someone planted it deliberately please stop it from spreading before it consumes the builds there.

It was gone yesterday, guess it grew back overnight. I want my house in the crimson, so if I figure out how to stop it, I will stop it just past my house.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Rope is definitely the best 1.2 addition to the game though. Fantastic early on when you'd otherwise be making truckfuls of wood platforms and just lots of fun in general.

Nah, even though ropes are very nice I could live without it. The one new feature that I would not want to give up from 1.2 is the map. Absolutely my favorite feature so far. All the new materials are sweet too though, and blocks stacking to 999 is a godsend.

It was gone yesterday, guess it grew back overnight. I want my house in the crimson, so if I figure out how to stop it, I will stop it just past my house.

To stop the corruption, didn't you need like a 2 block wide clearance of everything else around it? Like an island.

Guys, I really suck at this game - could anybody tell me what I do with copper/silver coins? I've never seen a shop or anything to use them on. Also, I was digging last night and saw a strange, large red object buried in the ground and upon trying to interact with it, it simply disappeared; what was that?

Agkel

It was pretty bad when I logged in just now, I cleansed all the way back to the crimson house but left crimson under it so it was still the crimson house. the caves were pretty bad too, I did some cleaning there but not as much.

Beefwheat

Just thought I'd share -- This morning I started fresh and was adventuring in a frozen cave. I was exploring ever deeper when I came to some water with what appeared to be a thick layer of ice on top. I hopped down and broke right through, plunging into the water; without glowsticks or any light besides torches there was nothing I could do but watch as I drowned in the frozen darkness.

Think I'm gonna like getting back into this game! :D

JWong

Banned
Welp, just found out a component I need to make the best sword only drops in Normal Mode. There goes the game for me.

VandalD

Welp, just found out a component I need to make the best sword only drops in Normal Mode. There goes the game for me.
What sword? What component?
Guys, I really suck at this game - could anybody tell me what I do with copper/silver coins? I've never seen a shop or anything to use them on. Also, I was digging last night and saw a strange, large red object buried in the ground and upon trying to interact with it, it simply disappeared; what was that?
When you get 100 silver coins, you'll get a gold coin, which, if you have proper housing, should cause a merchant to appear eventually. He'll have some stuff to buy, and most of the other NPCs will too. You need a house for each one that can appear. Not sure on the red object. Did you pickaxe it? Could just be random foliage. Hard to say without more of a description.

JWong

Banned
Terra Blade, and you need the Night's Edge which I think exists pre hardmode. Pretty sure you can get it in hardmode though.

I've looked in various places, but most people say that Stingers won't drop in hardmode because the hornets that drop them turn into moss hornets which doesn't have Stingers in their loot table.

J. Bravo

I've looked in various places, but most people say that Stingers won't drop in hardmode because the hornets that drop them turn into moss hornets which doesn't have Stingers in their loot table.

Spiked jungle slimes drop them, which hopefully is a hardmode enemy.

VandalD

There is now a tunnel underground, after taking the teleporter down, that bypasses the corruption and the crimson, coming out through the pyramid. I've also made the land to the right of spawn much easier to traverse - should be able to run right through it all the way to the snow. Both things should help newbies, or anyone without wings really.
Terra Blade, and you need the Night's Edge which I think exists pre hardmode. Pretty sure you can get it in hardmode though.
Oh, yeah. I didn't think of that. You probably can't make the Blade of Grass in hardmode. But you can just make a new world and head for the jungle, like Skab said.

I made an arena on the server today. It was mostly for monster spawning. Mostly.
E777C0F7940B6FC97E96874FAB6321DFF0B8086B
Then Retro suggested it should have a blue and red room for PVP, which is a great idea, and so it does. Guide is officially throwing in his lot with the red team.

Ideas were passed around as to how to spice it up, what with spike traps, trap doors, traps, and other types of traps. Feel free to improve on it.

DrTeflon

Subscribed to this, was just checking out gafs server a few moments ago. But I have no clue on how to play terraria, I should just find a spot and get stuff?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Subscribed to this, was just checking out gafs server a few moments ago. But I have no clue on how to play terraria, I should just find a spot and get stuff?

I would recommend that you play solo for a bit before hopping on the GAF server.

As for what you should do, quick and dirty Terraria newbie FAQ:

1) ASAP, chop trees down, build yourself a house for you and the guide. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just needs to be some sort of shelter when night hits. For basic furniture, you only need the workbench, and one chair, and light sources inside. You'll need to kill a few slimes so you can get Gels which are used to make the ever so important torches.

2) When you're good and ready, you have two options, explore a bit to the left or right, and try and find an open cavern system you can run around in. OR just start digging.

3) You're main objective is to find ore. Depending on how you rolled the world, the highest type of ore you can get before moving on to the mid-game is going to either be Gold or Platinum. That's your goal right now, to get to that tier kind of equipment. However...

4) You're going to need to create some other basic furniture though, things like a forge and an anvil. Its kind of hard to actually neglect the materials for that, so you'll probably find them naturally, but its something to keep in mind.

5) If you happen to have enough ore to upgrade any piece of equipment, concentrate on the pickaxe first, then your preference in what order you want to upgrade your weapons/armor. Axe and Hammer aren't actually THAT vitally important in the beginning, since most of your time will be digging. Lots, and lots of digging.

6) A secondary objective to also concentrate on is to get the Merchant NPC to show up. A thing to keep in mind, for ANY NPC to show up, is that you need to actually a spare room built beforehand. So when you have the time and resources, make sure to make a 2nd room.

7) General tip: Reserve a nice, stretch of flat land, and make yourself a tree farm. Between the torches and wooden platforms, you're going to go through a lot of wood, and it'll probably be best to have tree farm setup near your base that you have easy access to.

That should get you going for now.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Maintenance hasnt been performed on the server yet, since I have to go and do some errands. I'll probably need to kick you guys off of it for a bit later in the day, because I'm going to be putting up GAF Tower.

Based on feedback from Retro, I'm going to need to do some major terraforming on the map, so anything between the spawn point to the World Tree? Don't touch ANYTHING. That's all going to go away anyway.

The Tower itself will be like previous ones, large skyscraper with empty rooms players can opt to use for homes, as opposed to building their own bases, if they choose to do so. Difference though is that I'm lowering the number of rooms (because we had a lot of rooms that were never used anyway), and increasing the size of the rooms (because you guys need more space anyway).

J. Bravo

Maintenance hasnt been performed on the server yet, since I have to go and do some errands. I'll probably need to kick you guys off of it for a bit later in the day, because I'm going to be putting up GAF Tower.

Based on feedback from Retro, I'm going to need to do some major terraforming on the map, so anything between the spawn point to the World Tree? Don't touch ANYTHING. That's all going to go away anyway.

The Tower itself will be like previous ones, large skyscraper with empty rooms players can opt to use for homes, as opposed to building their own bases, if they choose to do so. Difference though is that I'm lowering the number of rooms (because we had a lot of rooms that were never used anyway), and increasing the size of the rooms (because you guys need more space anyway).

I would love it if you don't destroy my Shadewood Shack :) (and the trophy house next to it).

BTW where did the NPCs go? They used to be all in one spot :(

BasilZero

Started playing it again with my friends last night!

The new enemies and the changes they did were awesome!

Pretty sure there's more, cant wait!

Retro

I would love it if you don't destroy my Shadewood Shack :) (and the trophy house next to it).

BTW where did the NPCs go? They used to be all in one spot :(

- Nobody's house is being destroyed.

- Strike that. I blew up the NPC Tower to start building another home and the plan failed thanks to Terraria being all herpy derp. They can squat in the empty parts of GAF tower until their new homes are up.

XaeonBE

I must say the update changed my life totally I forgot to study yesterday because I was playing :p
Also I bought the android version and I must say its very enjoyable. A lot of people are complaining about the controls well I kinda not hate them its just something to get used to. I mean common guys its a tablet/phone :p

Protein

Banned
What is that altar thing anyway? I just spent the last half hour exploring the GAF server as fresh new character. Makes the game much more enjoyable, in my opinion, when you're not demi-godlike. I scaled this tower with rope and it wasn't an easy task! I feel like a manly man along with a platforming king after this feat. I'll try to clean up the rope though on my way back down.

We should create the Terraria equivalent to Everest and scale that shit without flight. A huge ice mountain. Climb it with nothing but rope. No hookshots either. It's extremely fun exploring around like this.

Drazgul

Where have all the shadow chests gone? Granted we're playing on a large world, but explored a good chunk of Underworld, with lots of the buildings, and didn't find even one.

J. Bravo

Where have all the shadow chests gone? Granted we're playing on a large world, but explored a good chunk of Underworld, with lots of the buildings, and didn't find even one.

I went through most of Hell and only saw 1 or 2. I didn't take anything from them though.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
No, maintenance hasnt started yet.
(Just got home)

If you cant get on, wait a bit, before trying again. As far as I'm aware, we still havent hit the max cap of players on the server yet, I think the most we've had is 10 so far. (I have it set to 20 players)

Sophia

What is that altar thing anyway? I just spent the last half hour exploring the GAF server as fresh new character. Makes the game much more enjoyable, in my opinion, when you're not demi-godlike. I scaled this tower with rope and it wasn't an easy task! I feel like a manly man along with a platforming king after this feat. I'll try to clean up the rope though on my way back down.

I feel like the Grappling Hook is almost mandatory for online play, but beyond that it's more fun as a fresh character. At least for servers like the GAF server, which tend to advance so rapidly that the normal flow of progression is whacked.

Can't stress enough how welcome the map is. The minimap is alright but the fullscreen one is worth the update alone. Wish there was a way to set filters so you can find specific items/ores you've located but I guess you can use 3rd party ones.

Retro

Maintenance over, come on in.

Running is bad DOWN the slope, BTW. You'll see what I mean.

I'm slowly going to be building this slope up, and there's definitely going to be an easy way up. It's just that right now I'm working on getting a storage facility set up for the various things people need and want. We had a pretty good storage area in the last server that people used a lot, so this one is going to be somewhat front and center.

Apologies for the rough hill, it'll be smoothed up ASAP.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm slowly going to be building this slope up, and there's definitely going to be an easy way up. It's just that right now I'm working on getting a storage facility set up for the various things people need and want. We had a pretty good storage area in the last server that people used a lot, so this one is going to be somewhat front and center.

Apologies for the rough hill, it'll be smoothed up ASAP.

Yeah, but Death Sloooooooope is fuuuuuuuun. :p

Diving pool and Disco Inferno Bubbly Hot Tub were installed to the right of the Tower.

J. Bravo

We also have a rainbow bunny cage.

And don't summon necromancers outside the dungeon, that equals bad news.

Harlan, what plugins are you using for tshock that let you summon monsters? Or do those commands come with tshock?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
We also have a rainbow bunny cage.

And don't summon necromancers outside the dungeon, that equals bad news.

Harlan, what plugins are you using for tshock that let you summon monsters? Or do those commands come with tshock?

Using the vanilla flavored version of TShock this time around, so there's no plugins at all.

Gnub

How can iI replenish the worlds Shadewood? I can't plant regular acorns and the don't drop their own acorns.

J. Bravo

How can iI replenish the worlds Shadewood? I can't plant regular acorns and the don't drop their own acorns.

Clentaminator with red solution. Clentaminator is from the steam punk lady, and I don't know how to make red solution.

Drazgul

I went through most of Hell and only saw 1 or 2. I didn't take anything from them though.

Aren't there items that spawn only in those shadow chests? I thought every world generated has at least one of each item in the game - I'd hate to miss out on some items since we started from scratch with 1.2.

Nebula

Got the full Ancient Shadowscale set :)

Got the first two pieces while I was killing Eaters of Souls on my way to, and inbetween, the Shadow Orbs. Got the last piece just after farming for about 15 mins on a wooden platform just above the corruption.

If anyone is after the Ancient Shadowscale, I'd definitely recommend building a platform above corruption, but make sure you're still in that biome.

Oh and here it is:
2R2JnIt.png

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
WHOA.
Wait what, I didn't even know there was a 1.2.
Fuuuuuck why do I have to be so busy. These updates are amazing.

EDIT: jfc is the controls menu busted still? I can't change my controls.

Retro

Is it possible to automatically open the "Crafting Window" when opening the menu?

Not that I saw. Another example of Redigit's lack of design; he's got this tediously slow scrolling crafting menu as the default still, even when he's found a better solution in the expanded menu.

Also, I read that the new Gravitation Potion effect (where it flips the entire world upside down instead of the player sprite) is in the game only because he spent "So much time getting it to work", even though it's disorienting as hell and people on Reddit were complaining about the crazy flip giving them motion sickness.

Classic.

VandalD

Also, I read that the new Gravitation Potion effect (where it flips the entire world upside down instead of the player sprite) is in the game only because he spent "So much time getting it to work", even though it's disorienting as hell and people on Reddit were complaining about the crazy flip giving them motion sickness.

Classic.
Never mind that he could have used it in other ways besides ruining a potion effect with it. It could have been a very rare enemy debuff that lasts several seconds. At least then the screen wouldn't be flipping back and forth every couple of seconds, and the effect could have some use in the game, and the potion wouldn't be dumb.

Top Bottom