• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

renitou

I was about to gag at the 2.5 k price, but then I saw that he's using the titan.

Still struck me funny that his "more affordable alternatives" were over a thousand dollars. Shaving 1500 dollars off his original price is nothing to sneeze at, I suppose. And yet... :p

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I dont have the time to watch the PC building video, but what parts did they use?
From the article. http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454052-small-quiet-fast-building-modern-gaming-pc/

Code:
The System Specs

On the component side, I pulled out all the stops.

Part	Price
Case	BitFenix Prodigy	$90
Power Supply	Seasonic 660W Platinum	$155
Motherboard	Gigabyte Z77N-WiFi	$129
CPU	Intel Core i7 3770K	$329
CPU Cooler	Intel RTS2011LC	$80
Memory	Kingston 16GB HyperX LoVo	$129
Graphics Card	Asus GeForce GTX Titan	$1049
Main Storage	Crucial M4 512GB SSD	$340
Optical Drive	Asus BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray	$79
OS	Windows 8 Pro	$140
Total		$2520

Thanks CrunchinJelly! I didn't realize that there was an article attached to the video. Its kind've of a strange build. Lloyd is putting a Titan in there, but only 512 GB of SSD storage. But who am I to judge? I've never even built a PC lol.

From the article. http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454052-small-quiet-fast-building-modern-gaming-pc/

Code:
The System Specs

On the component side, I pulled out all the stops.

Part	Price
Case	BitFenix Prodigy	$90
Power Supply	Seasonic 660W Platinum	$155
Motherboard	Gigabyte Z77N-WiFi	$129
CPU	Intel Core i7 3770K	$329
CPU Cooler	Intel RTS2011LC	$80
Memory	Kingston 16GB HyperX LoVo	$129
Graphics Card	Asus GeForce GTX Titan	$1049
Main Storage	Crucial M4 512GB SSD	$340
Optical Drive	Asus BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray	$79
OS	Windows 8 Pro	$140
Total		$2520
dat Titan

Chuck

Still without luck
Pachter bats 50%?!?!?!?!?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

It's more like 15% or .150 in baseball terms. Im not even exaggerating.

Mail bag time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQWzFxVlMB4

Also come on Norm know your flags pfffff

this is Netherlands:

nederland.gif

newjeruse

However compelling Gary's argument was for the Oculus Rift, it was just as uncompelling for the next Xbox. A TV tuner and Skype? Great, the future is now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Listening to the podcast I think one of the guys will switch to Android by the end of the year. Especially if the iPhone 6 is underwhelming.

pje122

However compelling Gary's argument was for the Oculus Rift, it was just as uncompelling for the next Xbox. A TV tuner and Skype? Great, the future is now.
Yeah, tell me about it. Wow, let's hear more about the superfluous nonsense the next Microsoft console is going to force on me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Only Norm has the potential I think.

Yes. Gary is too entrenched in the Apple eco-system and would never join the peasantry. Will is an "old" man (by his standards of "young people have time to waste") and rather have an easy way to share stuff with his parents (specially now since the baby was born). Also, I believe he no longer cares about tinkering with stuff. He said it before: he rather pay more and have a compelling but limited experience than waste the time to do research and get things the way he likes. And they're all valid reasons to not leave an eco-system.

Norm has always been the one that does Android reviews, specially after the Galaxy S fiasco - Will tested a Galaxy S for a while and had a horrible experience. However, you can't blame him: I've had a Galaxy S for three years and it's a slow piece of shit that only got barely usable once CyanogenMod was ported to it.

Can't wait until my Nexus 4 arrives.

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, tell me about it. Wow, let's hear more about the superfluous nonsense the next Microsoft console is going to force on me.

Gary kept going on about talking to people on the TV.

That's a 60s view of the future. And it's already been tried. Cisco gambled hard on it with Umi. It flopped.

People have iPads/iPhones and Macbooks with cameras in them. Those + Facetime or Skype make talking to people on the TV pointless.

chogidogs

When they said "new xbox rumors" I thought they were gonna talk about it being always online and no used games. You know? Things that suck. But it ended up being the "new xbox will have alot of features and will dominate" talk. I should have known!

FStop7

Banned
When they said "new xbox rumors" I thought they were gonna talk about it being always online and no used games. You know? Things that suck. But it ended up being the "new xbox will have alot of features and will dominate" talk. I should have known!

They kind of covered the always online stuff during the simcity talk. None of them seemed that thrilled by it, especially Gary.

eznark

Banned
Will is blowing right past hipster and into homeless. Looks amazing.

The camera work in this omelet video is fantastic.

solarus

I realised that the podcast becomes cringe-worthy and terrible whenever they discuss gaming or topics I know about, android talk is usually just awful.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I have a Oculus Rift dev kit pre-ordered to play around with something so revolutionary in my home. $300 for an unpolished piece of tech is certainly not for everybody, but gaming in general has become so blasé for me and this seems incredibly fresh and exciting

eznark

Banned
Harrison Bergeron is the best thing Vonnegut wrote. I love his novels but that short story was prescient and humorous and absolutely terrifying.

God Bless You Mr. Rosewater is also criminally unederrated.

Thinking back to dadcast. Is it a white people thing to not have your parents to help raise the kids? Chinese families tend to have grandparents help raise kids when parents are busy with work.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thinking back to dadcast. Is it a white people thing to not have your parents to help raise the kids? Chinese families tend to have grandparents help raise kids when parents are busy with work.

Will and Vinny don't live anywhere near their parents. Not sure about Creepy Green Man.

Chuck

Still without luck
Norm's comment about how articles should be read how they were intended, which is to say on an ad ridden webpage, was some hot nonsense.

Also, Will, please stop saying sunsetting. It's not a real term.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Tested's streak of failing to do basic research prior to the podcast continues. The Oculus Rift creator even had to comment on the youtube video to correct Norm

Norm's beloved Reddit also turns on him, some hating going on at r/oculus

Chuck

Still without luck
Tested's streak of failing to do basic research prior to the podcast continues. The Oculus Rift creator even had to comment on the youtube video to correct Norm

Wow, that's rough.

Palmer Lucky said:
Hi Norm,
You are incorrect about aiming with your head in TF2. It is one of the 7 modes that Valve has made available, but the default mode aims with your mouse, and moves your head independently of aim. 

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
They really have seemingly lost the ability to have a reliably informed conversation about any tech subject. Loyd we need you around more.

numble

They really have seemingly lost the ability to have a reliably informed conversation about any tech subject. Loyd we need you around more.

It's odd given the fact that the whole idea of "Tested" means they have tested things for you so you can trust what they say about things.

Zaph

It's probably the result of their more broader site focus. Many other sites do something similar (Ars, The Verge) but by having a large team of editors and freelancers who usually specialize in different things.

It doesn't bother me too much, but they should definitely do something about the podcast (reduce the amount of topics?) because it makes you wonder how accurate is their discussion about things you don't known about.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Don't really think that's an unforgivable gaffe, you guys are vicious. Hope you don't listen to the Bombcast, too.

Chuck

Still without luck
Don't really think that's an unforgivable gaffe, you guys are vicious. Hope you don't listen to the Bombcast, too.

They are consistently giving incorrect information on subjects they should be, and used to be, very well versed in. That doesn't happen on the Bombcast. The most you get there is a little mistake in a well formed discussion.

Top Bottom