• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

i'm dumb, but wouldn't heating up the big oven for 3 slices of pizza be less power efficient than a toaster oven?

also... $1440 to keep norm on the occulus. shouldn't be too hard for the community to scrounge that. I'll pitch in a $60. haven't really donated to anything this year yet anyways.

Curufinwe

I like toaster ovens. I never had one till I moved to the US, but they are very useful.

I'll have to listen and see what Will's ranting about, but it can't be weirder than Vinny saying on the Bombcast that he doesn't have a microwave.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I like toaster ovens. I never had one till I moved to the US, but they are very useful.

I'll have to listen and see what Will's ranting about, but it can't be weirder than Vinny saying on the Bombcast that he doesn't have a microwave.

I'm to toaster ovens as Vinny is to microwaves. other than toasting bread (which I can't do, because I'm on a low carb diet, so I don't eat bread), I don't see the use for them.

Sure, you could heat pizza in it, but I just do it in the microwave (I know, I know... but Brazilian Pizza is different than US Pizza!)

I'm to toaster ovens as Vinny is to microwaves. other than toasting bread (which I can't do, because I'm on a low carb diet, so I don't eat bread), I don't see the use for them.

Sure, you could heat pizza in it, but I just do it in the microwave (I know, I know... but Brazilian Pizza is different than US Pizza!)

They're great for doing stuff like making your own Quiznos-esque toasted sandwich. Or cooking something small at a different temperature than the larger thing in your main oven (if you're making a meal with different hot components that need to be cooked concurrently.)

Go on.

Chuck

Still without luck
So, who wants to make the Octoberkast 3 OT? We should try to get it up sometime this weekend for hypes.

FStop7

Banned
It was creepy hearing a dude with a 60 inch television and gadgets out the ass trying to shame Norm over owning a toaster oven as if he were Captain Planet.

popo

Closest I think my country comes to a toaster oven is a combi grill/microwave. Other than that it is just bread toasters.

Zaph

Anyone have a timestamp? Will's shocking lack of self-awareness in his hypocrisy is a beautiful thing to behold.

Ok I watched that toaster oven bit and this may be totally misplaced, erroneous speculation on my part but it's something I've thought about for a while (basically since Gary stopped appearing regularly and it started to seem more evident). I think the reason this podcast lacks so much chemistry without Gary is that I get the impression Norm and Will don't even really get along anymore. I started getting that impression when Gary wasn't there. Like Norm doesn't even want to be there most of the time and doesn't really enjoy chatting with Will. Watch Norm's body language during that bit. I think it's pretty telling. He barely even looks at him. Very odd. Maybe I'm just looking too much into it all.

No_Style

Did Will actually try to argue that using the oven for a few slices of pizza is more efficient than using a toaster oven?

Oh Will...

Ok I watched that toaster oven bit and this may be totally misplaced, erroneous speculation on my part but it's something I've thought about for a while (basically since Gary stopped appearing regularly and it started to seem more evident). I think the reason this podcast lacks so much chemistry without Gary is that I get the impression Norm and Will don't even really get along anymore. I started getting that impression when Gary wasn't there. Like Norm doesn't even want to be there most of the time and doesn't really enjoy chatting with Will. Watch Norm's body language during that bit. I think it's pretty telling. He barely even looks at him. Very odd. Maybe I'm just looking too much into it all.

So, is it a rule with anything associated with Whiskey Media that at some point somebody has to overly psychoanalyze the personal relationships between everyone? I'm sure there's some hidden reason why Sara left ComicVine too.

Zaph

Did Will actually try to argue that using the oven for a few slices of pizza is more efficient than using a toaster oven?

Oh Will...
Want a coffee and croissant in the morning before you go to work? Pre-heat the oven for 20 minutes, then spend another 15 minutes drip brewing the coffee. Done? Good. Then put them both in a vacuum sealed bag and sous-vide for 2 hours.

Then, and only then, may you seek Will's approval.

Zaph

Cold pizza is breakfast food only. Sometimes you want it for lunch or dinner the next day so you have to reheat.

Do American ovens not have grills built in?

Yeah, they're called broilers and I'd be willing to bet most people don't know what they are or don't care. I'm going to go ahead and take the unpopular opinion that throwing things in the oven under a broiler is more convenient than a toaster oven for most applications.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This is what most British ovens are like.

The top section is just a grill. It's basically a huge toaster with the heating element at the top. It's perfect for stuff like cheese on toast or bacon.

First America doesn't do electric kettles, and now I hear they don't do ovens with grills! Come on, son!

l_20859514e4ksz.jpg

popo

It is more that electric kettles are less popular in the US than in the UK - where almost every house has one.

It is likley down to the popularity of Tea. I would wager that coffee perculators re much more common in US households than in UK ones - maybe to a lesser extent than the kettles thing.

Chuck

Still without luck
I remember when Tested first launched and Will was on the Bombcast. The first thing he brought up was they wanted nothing to with the trend of cynical tech coverage and they wanted to be excited for something they loved and used so much.

Today, as Apple announced some things. Will went against that spirit 110%.

Ozone

They should bring in Vinny this week for the podcast to talk about the Apple stuff. That's just the thing to re-energize the podcast.

FStop7

Banned
I remember when Tested first launched and Will was on the Bombcast. The first thing he brought up was they wanted nothing to with the trend of cynical tech coverage and they wanted to be excited for something they loved and used so much.

Today, as Apple announced some things. Will went against that spirit 110%.

What happened?

Chuck

Still without luck
What happened?

He was just throwing peanuts the whole time. Stuff like "When you’re a hardware company, you can give everything away for free." or "After testing Mavericks for the last month or two, I can safely say that they nailed the price." or "Thanks to Google and Amazon for forcing Apple to roll Retina/A7 in iPad Mini this year."

This shit coming from a guy who once said he hated cynical tech coverage.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
He was just throwing peanuts the whole time. Stuff like "When you’re a hardware company, you can give everything away for free." or "After testing Mavericks for the last month or two, I can safely say that they nailed the price." or "Thanks to Google and Amazon for forcing Apple to roll Retina/A7 in iPad Mini this year."

This shit coming from a guy who once said he hated cynical tech coverage.

You know that last quote is perfectly sincere right? He is hyped about the mini.

FStop7

Banned
Gadget tech these days is boring as shit, I don't blame him for being cynical.

Oh here's a smartphone. And now it has a fingerprint sensor!

Here's a slightly thinner thing with slightly more power!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Here's a slightly thinner thing with slightly more power!

The fingerprint sensor is really fucking cool, though. No more lock screen for the iPhone pretty much. Just click the home button and leave your thumb there and you're immediately in your home screen.

jediyoshi

In no other decade would people not be flipping their shit over that. If we've come to a point where that type of practical biometry is relegated to 'ugh smaller/faster', we've hit a pretty sweet spot.

FStop7

Banned
In no other decade would people not be flipping their shit over that. If we've come to a point where that type of practical biometry is relegated to 'ugh smaller/faster', we've hit a pretty sweet spot.

Laptops have had them since the mid 2000's. Does anyone really care?

jediyoshi

So who wants to make the Octoberkast thread?

Made last year's thread, could do it again this year. They're taking their time with deets this time around :p

Laptops have had them since the mid 2000's. Does anyone really care?

If you're equivocating those swipe based 'scanners' to Apple's implementation, we might as well throw out why anyone would be interested in higher PPI displays when they have perfectly good 1366x768 resolution laptops.

Top Bottom