• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

eznark

Banned
Two months later, ChromeCast is still fucking awesome. Feel the need to post that every once in awhile considering Norm's abysmal effort in reviewing the thing.

Aaron

Two months later, ChromeCast is still fucking awesome. Feel the need to post that every once in awhile considering Norm's abysmal effort in reviewing the thing.
Yeah, I bought one and it's great. High quality youtube streaming, while even streaming from my PC on wifi is still watchable. Using my phone as the control device works better than selecting stuff with a regular remote.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Is netflix in it good? I mostly want it for that, because my RaspberryPi + XBMC can't Netflix and I'm bored of turning my 360 on just for that... (yes, I still have Gold)

I wonder how long until they port XBMC with netflix support to it...

Also, there's the problem of how the hell am I supposed to get ahold of one, but that's another subject...

eznark

Banned
Is netflix in it good? I mostly want it for that, because my RaspberryPi + XBMC can't Netflix and I'm bored of turning my 360 on just for that... (yes, I still have Gold)

I wonder how long until they port XBMC with netflix support to it...

Also, there's the problem of how the hell am I supposed to get ahold of one, but that's another subject...

Yup, Netflix works great. And the thing is I am in the middle of nowhere Indiana with a tiny little ISP getting like 4 mb down and it works amazing. I generally use it to throw Twitch tabs and MLB tabs onto the tv in my office. I used to have to drag a Roku around to get that done. This is so much better.

solarus

Catching up on the podcast, will needs to stop pretending he has any realistic desire to switch to android, this shit is really annoying he's been saying this for what seems like 2 years now, it's irritating when gary feigns interest in switching too. On the cast I'm listening to his reason was "someone needs to cover ios"...sure, there was no such problem with android coverage when all of them were ios only, norm included. There's nothing wrong with just saying you prefer ios and don't want to move.

started noticing the 'slow animations' during the podcast... but stop caring about midday. maybe its because i don't use folders much though.

it is annoying that the screen is unresponsive when animations are happening though.

Aaron

The animations in IOS7 are way too slow. They should be twice as fast, especially when using folders. That shit takes forever.

newjeruse

Saw this in the cafeteria freezer today:
3285d6ae-dce5-4543-94e6-22389eeaed07.jpg

Zaph

As someone who used to listen to MaxPC, I can't believe people hate Jeremy. :p
I don't think anyone hates Jeremy, it's just many people really like Gary and Loyd more than anyone else at Tested. It's a shame they have actual day jobs.

Don't think I've listened to a Gary or Loyd-less Tested podcast since the WANG days.

popo

That Jeremy bloke seems fine. Better than just Will and Norm.

The last two casts have been hella boring. Just not enough happening in tech so too many silly tangents - and not amusing ones like with Whitta.

Chuck

Still without luck
Thanks.

And I tweeted will and jeff with the suggestion. If i see him in the irc i'll ask him there too.

edit: Okay, I listened to this weeks show and had some thoughts.

First off, I don't think Will or Norm could be any less interested in doing the podcast as they are right now. Will has zero enthusiasm and doesn't sound like he wants to be there at all. Norm only chimes in when Will prompts him and lacks the enthusiasm he used to have too.

The guests have been whatever. I think Jeremy was bad and Loyd is just uninteresting. But honestly, the guests can only be as excited to be their as the hosts, which is to say not at all. And I don't think this is only due to Gary not being there. When he was there a few weeks ago it was just as blah. Also, no fake outtakes again is simply shit.

The new Tested has just worn them down to unenthusiastic husks. They started out pretty optimistic last year, but now it's just a day job they don't enjoy very much and it is absolutely apparent in almost everything they do. Will even said this week something along the lines of 'I guess we should do some more Adam and Jamie podcasts because we have a ton questions for them'. Seriously? He sounded like he hates it!

I have to be fair and say they still do some cool stuff. The car test was awesome, the in-depth stuff is good for the most part, the long articles are nice save for the new layout. The problem is they're fighting to do it. Will has constant meetings/phone calls with Berman Braun that must just suck the life out of him. Those inventern videos are just sad. Adam this and Jamie that has to have just killed any excitement he had for what he wanted Tested to be. Imagine leaving a position as editor-in-chief of a tech magazine to start a new tech site, have 2 amazing years of tech fun doing whatever you want to do, and then have that site get sold to play second fiddle to a couple celebrities and do not tech stuff a company tells you to do.

I don't know what they should do. Start a new site? Join another site? I have no idea. Tested just kept geting better and better and better until the day they were bought. Tested just isn't Tested anymore. Will and Norm know that and what's even worse is they also know they can't do anything about it.

panda21

I'm not quite as pessimistic but I agree their current situation is a real shame.

WNG used to be my favourite podcast, but it rarely happens any more, and the content tested did for the whiskey premium shows was consistently the best and most entertaining.
Kind of makes me think they would best at home back at giant bomb.

I don't mind a c loyd podcast and the last Gary one was good, but it's a real shame Gary can't make it more often. Although given that he isn't even employed by them it's understandable..

popo

Sounds like you are projecting a lot. Norm had always been a bit disinterested and maybe Will just had a long night with his kiddie.

Going by what he says on twitter, Will seems to really like how the job has panned out and he appears to have a serious man crush on Adam.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I look at it this way - after the split, Norm went to CERN and both of them got to go to NASA to cook with David Chang. Hell, they just came back from a trip to NYC.

Meanwhile, Jeff can't even get CBSi to let him go to Japan.

eznark

Banned
Sounds like you are projecting a lot. Norm had always been a bit disinterested and maybe Will just had a long night with his kiddie.

Going by what he says on twitter, Will seems to really like how the job has panned out and he appears to have a serious man crush on Adam.

That's what I was going to write. I kind of get the same feeling when listening to the podcast as Chuck describes but I realize that's really just my disinterest in the site as it currently exists.

I never really liked Gary all that much so I don't mind that he's absent but even I have to admit, at least he provided energy.

popo

Meanwhile, Jeff can't even get CBSi to let him go to Japan.

That seems a bit speculative. If they had wanted to go to TGS then I am sure they would have been allowed. It is more man poser they are short of. They have a discretionary travel budget and they used it to go to iceland.

Tested is getting decent funds though. They are frequetly travelling and Adam gets them access to a lot of events - even if they have to act as his person documentary crew.

FStop7

Banned
Thanks.

And I tweeted will and jeff with the suggestion. If i see him in the irc i'll ask him there too.

edit: Okay, I listened to this weeks show and had some thoughts.

First off, I don't think Will or Norm could be any less interested in doing the podcast as they are right now. Will has zero enthusiasm and doesn't sound like he wants to be there at all. Norm only chimes in when Will prompts him and lacks the enthusiasm he used to have too.

Well, technology is fucking boring right now. Here's a marginally faster CPU. Here's a lightly redesigned phone with dull as dishes feature like a fingerprint scanner. Here are some marginally faster video cards. They aren't really into console gaming so they're not hyped about that, either.

The maker event they recently attended sounded pretty lame, too.

The most exciting thing in recent memory was Norm recalling his experience at Dragon*Con, which was great!

When BB bought Tested Will said that everything is now fake outtakes and they'd be doing all sorts of stuff, but over time they've just gone further down the path of being a gadget site. I hope they get more chances to break out and stop reporting on tech news, because tech news is largely boring as fuck. When they go to NASA or go to cons or do interesting stuff their output improves accordingly.

The fact they're not doing fake outtakes is mystifies me since that's where their best stuff often comes from.

That seems a bit speculative. If they had wanted to go to TGS then I am sure they would have been allowed. It is more man poser they are short of. They have a discretionary travel budget and they used it to go to iceland.

CCP paid for Patrick and Drew's trip to Iceland.

Norm's trip to Switzerland was paid for by Logitech.

Top Bottom