• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Chuck

Still without luck
Norm's statement of "PC gaming is moving to the living room" seems totally crazy to me. I hope he's not basing that off of the fact that Will and Gary aren't really PC guys anymore and they actually just started playing PC games on their TVs. Example being Will not playing Battlefield 3 because there is no gamepad support. smh

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I utterly reject the notion that I'm not a PC guy any more. smh right back at you

What do you consider a PC guy? I don't consider myself a "pc guy" but I do most of my gaming on one.

I use a controller for nearly all of my pc gaming (including fps), I have a low end rig, I hate RTS, I hate having to tweak settings.

So Will's account gets activated and the first replies are 'WELCOME TO EARF' pics? Great job GAF!

I've fell off the Tested wagon hard lately, need to start catching up on podcasts and such. Sorry Will and Norm, blame the GB team for making so much stuff. Gotta go where the heat is :lol

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So Will's account gets activated and the first replies are 'WELCOME TO EARF' pics? Great job GAF!

I've fell off the Tested wagon hard lately, need to start catching up on podcasts and such. Sorry Will and Norm, blame the GB team for making so much stuff. Gotta go where the heat is :lol

The CES podcasts were pretty good except for grumpy Will on day 2.

What do you consider a PC guy? I don't consider myself a "pc guy" but I do most of my gaming on one.

I use a controller for nearly all of my pc gaming (including fps), I have a low end rig, I hate RTS, I hate having to tweak settings.
Well I'm certainly not a PC guy for productivity or work but the post was in reference to gaming and I don't think I've ever not had a PC gaming rig in the house since I left PC Gamer in 1999. I was playing PC games regularly before I moved the rig downstairs to my living room, where I now enjoy it much more. So yes when it comes to gaming I am a "PC guy" just like I am a 360 guy, PS3 guy and (sometimes) Wii guy.

Chuck

Still without luck
All right, sorry Gary. I guess it's really just Will that abandoned true PC gaming. :p

*waits for Will response*

And by "true PC gaming" I mostly mean keyboard and mouse at a desk.

All right, sorry Gary. I guess it's really just Will that abandoned true PC gaming. :p

*waits for Will response*

And by "true PC gaming" I mostly mean keyboard and mouse at a desk.
I think your concept of "true PC gaming" is pretty narrow and fast becoming outdated. PC gaming is evolving, as it should, and that means embracing different control methods and different ways to play. I've never enjoyed PC gaming as much as I have since I moved my rig into the living room, on a big TV, with no desk and whatever control scheme is appropriate to the game I'm playing.

Aaron

I think people need to give up on the notion that PC gaming must involve kb/mouse. A controller isn't a bow to consoles, it's an accessory like a flight stick or a steering wheel. Playing Skyrim loaded up with mods is still PC gaming, even if you're doing it with a 360 pad.

FT03-3.jpg

I think i might start researching good looking components for my living room pc

Also
150years.gif
also in reading market pretty good stuff.

Chuck

Still without luck
I use a 360 pad on just about all the PC games I play that will allow it, except for first-person shooters or where the controller support is crap. However, I still think the vast majority of people who primarily play PC games now are doing so in the way people have been for many years. More people are hooking their PC up to their living room TVs, but they're nowhere near the majority of PC players.

I use a 360 pad on just about all the PC games I play that will allow it, except for first-person shooters or where the controller support is crap. However, I still think the vast majority of people who primarily play PC games now are doing so in the way people have been for many years. More people are hooking their PC up to their living room TVs, but they're nowhere near the majority of PC players.
Agreed HTPC/living room players are in the minority, my only argument is that people who choose to play that way shouldn't be considered in any way less of a "true" PC gamer than those who sit at a desk with a kb/m, which seemed to be the point you were making.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Can't wait to see how the Lego ER goes!

Also Gary, I noticed near the tail end of the podcast that you casually mention that you'd be happy to let Will borrow one of your DVD's if he wanted. Don't you find it just a tiny bit hypocritical to say that anyone who pirates something is a scumbag and then go on to say that you'd happily loan him a DVD? Aren't they essentially the same thing? What's the difference between someone torrenting a DVD and having a friend loan it to them so they can watch it for free?

Chuck

Still without luck
Agreed HTPC/living room players are in the minority, my only argument is that people who choose to play that way shouldn't be considered in any way less of a PC gamer than those who sit at a desk with a kb/m, which seemed to be the point you were making.

Oh, sorry. That was my fault. I just meant to say you're in that minority of people who would play PC Skyrim on a TV. Maintaining a PC and going through all of the steps required to play a lot of PC games really makes anyone who does it a PC gamer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Can't wait to see how the Lego ER goes!

Also Gary, I noticed near the tail end of the podcast that you casually mention that you'd be happy to let Will borrow one of your DVD's if he wanted. Don't you find it just a tiny bit hypocritical to say that anyone who pirates something is a scumbag and then go on to say that you'd happily loan him a DVD? Aren't they essentially the same thing? What's the difference between someone torrenting a DVD and having a friend loan it to them so they can watch it for free?

Oh wow.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Woooooooooooooooow! What the fuuuuuuuuck!

You honestly can't see the dofference? Really? Think about it a bit.

You watched a movie over at a friend's house. Pirate!

Now if a person ripped a dvd, then gave it to a friend and they ripped it too, now you are talking about piracy.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Woooooooooooooooow! What the fuuuuuuuuck!

You honestly can't see the dofference? Really? Think about it a bit.

I'm simply playing devils advocate. If the principle of it is that you're consuming media that you didn't pay for then where is that line drawn? If I bought Skyrim, played it, passed it off to a friend, and then he did the same thing with another friend, is that just as bad as one of those guys just downloading it? Is it OK to do just because a friend gives it to you instead of a website?

Kurdel

Banned
Is it OK to do just because a friend gives it to you instead of a website?

In one scenario someone shared his personal belonging with you, because he bought it and wanted to spread the love.

In the other, you actively seeker ownership of a copy of product to avoid paying for it.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
In one scenario someone shared his personal belonging with you, because he bought it and wanted to spread the love.

So, if I buy a game on PC and enjoy it so much that I feel the need to share the love with everyone, it's OK for me to upload it to TPB?

In the other, you actively seeker ownership of a copy of product to avoid paying for it.

I'd say that by lending a copy of a game / movie to a friend you are indeed actively granting them a copy to avoid paying for it. As far as seeking ownership goes, it isn't really a fair comparison since in both pirating and lending the other person will consume that media and that "seeking ownership" was never the goal in the first place.

Kurdel

Banned
So, if I buy a game on PC and enjoy it so much that I feel the need to share the love with everyone, it's OK for me to upload it to TPB?

I'd say that by lending a copy of a game / movie to a friend you are indeed actively granting them a copy to avoid paying for it.

I am not in the mood for this, sorry for even bothering you.

I will let you devil advocate with someone else.

No_Style

I think your concept of "true PC gaming" is pretty narrow and fast becoming outdated. PC gaming is evolving, as it should, and that means embracing different control methods and different ways to play. I've never enjoyed PC gaming as much as I have since I moved my rig into the living room, on a big TV, with no desk and whatever control scheme is appropriate to the game I'm playing.

These gaming labels are stupid. I propose a new label: Comfort gamer, where we play games (console, PC or otherwise) in the setting/configuration that's most comfortable.

I try to play everything with my controller because I enjoy the 5.1 comfy couch set up. But if there's no comfortable controller option for the game (like strategy games), then I'll play at my desk.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Agreed HTPC/living room players are in the minority, my only argument is that people who choose to play that way shouldn't be considered in any way less of a "true" PC gamer than those who sit at a desk with a kb/m, which seemed to be the point you were making.

and if more developers agreed with you, we'd have more games with decent controller support.

and if more developers agreed with you, we'd have more games with decent controller support.
They'll come around to it gradually. I think Steam's Big Picture Mode will help.

Will and Gary:

Can you two put together a list of the 10 best A-Team episodes? I never watched the show but your talk this week got me interested.
I'll get back to you once I've finished my current run through the whole series.

eznark

Banned
Norm is so wee

What was the cable you bought, Gary? I'd like to grab a few of them.

Also, I grabbed some capacitive gloves for elk hunting and they worked awesome. Nice real tree camo too.

You hunt elk with an iPhone? Is there an app for that?

Norm is so wee

What was the cable you bought, Gary? I'd like to grab a few of them.

Also, I grabbed some capacitive gloves for elk hunting and they worked awesome. Nice real tree camo too.
I got this one. I don't know if it's the best; Will is going to be testing a bunch of them. But I'm perfectly happy with this one and you can't really go wrong at that price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056399MG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, I just noticed that the Death Star is ages 14+ and the Super Star Destroyer is 16+. Even though SSD is fewer pieces LEGO thinks it's the higher difficulty. INTERESTING.

eznark

Banned
The Star Trek talk reminded me that this is something you guys need to do at Whiskey Media:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=61881

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

It's probably more Giant Bomb related but their threads are a nightmare and it would need like 7 people or something.

I got this one. I don't know if it's the best; Will is going to be testing a bunch of them. But I'm perfectly happy with this one and you can't really go wrong at that price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Great, thanks! I have an aftermarket radio in my truck that worked fantastically with my 3GS but it works for shit with the 4S and doesn't work at all with Spotify and Downcast via the usb, so I'm forced to use aux. Anything to make that audio slightly better is a god send.

Pro tip. Get those plastic box thingies with the dividers made for different screws/nuts/etc at home depot. Best way to keep pieces sorted.

Curious how this will be filmed. Split screen? Zoomed in? It does seem a lot more effort will be needed for this vs ER.

kaskade

You hunt elk with an iPhone? Is there an app for that?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056399MG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, I just noticed that the Death Star is ages 14+ and the Super Star Destroyer is 16+. Even though SSD is fewer pieces LEGO thinks it's the higher difficulty. INTERESTING.

Awesome I was going to ask which one you guys bought. Maybe I'll just wait for the video though. For 7 bucks though the risk doesn't seem too bad.

grkazan12

Another great awesome podcast, really wish we could have seen the footage of that crappy Texaco and Will yelling at the pump.

Quick question though : Hey Gary what's the name of your nano wrist watch? I've been curious about it for awhile, but every other strap isn't really that great.

Chuck

Still without luck

I fell that this photo needs much, much more editing to find the true image that was meant to be seen by all. Unfortunately, it simply couldn't be made the way it was intended at the time it was shot. Luckily we have modern technology at our disposal to evolve this image to what it should become and have it remain that way for the next 100 years.

Top Bottom