• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Chuck

Still without luck
remember YEARS ago during a GB mailbag when someone sent in a lego version of the old office.

did anyone ever build that?

I found the mailbag video.

Unfortunately, I think that was the last they ever mentioned it. It would be cool if they could dig it out of whatever closet it is in and actually build it with this surge of Lego interest.

Listening to Gary talk about the satisfaction of building something he gets from LEGO tells me someone really needs to get him a table saw and some lumber.

Make some simple shelves for your LEGO set, feel some real satisfaction!
Fuck that, too much like real work.

This is why you guys need to pay people 10k to cut down your trees. I bet Patrick Norton owns a damn table saw.

I forgot Will had some people take his tree away for 10k. People do that for like $500-$1000 here in Michigan...Hell, depending on what type of tree it is, they might pay you.

We may have gone slightly overboard today.

kmS01.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
Give me lego Game of Thrones of lego Warhammer 40k and I'd have to think about spending stupid amounts of money. All I see at the store are star wars/pirates two franchises I couldn't give less of a shit about.

Just noticed that the LEGO land speeder set includes a replica of the CGI sentry droid from the special edition. Think I'll leave that out.

Who got the second Super Star Destroyer?
Norm already has it, I had not intended to get it but they have it fully built at the local LEGO store and once you see how awesome it looks there is just no way to resist. So now it's mine. Leah already has the Death Star playset to build.

Dany

Banned
I started watching the AT:B and I am enjoying it. It is less frustrating and just fun to watch people build things and the excitement that comes when you finally find that single dark gray 4x10 piece.

eznark

Banned
Norm already has it, I had not intended to get it but they have it fully built at the local LEGO store and once you see how awesome it looks there is just no way to resist. So now it's mine. Leah already has the Death Star playset to build.

Awesome, congrats.

willsmith

This is why you guys need to pay people 10k to cut down your trees. I bet Patrick Norton owns a damn table saw.

I don't own a table saw, but I have built multiple sets of well finished shelves. I didn't cut down that tree myself because it was 85 feet high, filled a 17'x8'x10' dumpster with pieces of trunk, and it sat within 15 feet of four houses--each worth several hundred thousand dollars. If my house was the only one within falling range of the tree, it wouldn't have been a problem. That's something I would have handled myself. But if I tried to cut that tree down and hurt a neighbor, I'd probably still be in jail.

eznark

Banned
I don't own a table saw, but I have built multiple sets of well finished shelves. I didn't cut down that tree myself because it was 85 feet high, filled a 17'x8'x10' dumpster with pieces of trunk, and it sat within 15 feet of four houses--each worth several hundred thousand dollars. If my house was the only one within falling range of the tree, it wouldn't have been a problem. That's something I would have handled myself. But if I tried to cut that tree down and hurt a neighbor, I'd probably still be in jail.

I completely understand. I just hope the arborist didn't laugh when you pulled your checkbook out of your purse.

LiK

i remember going through LEGO fever and bought a lot of Harry Potter and Star Wars sets. After building them and admiring them for a few days, i figured i had no place to display them nor do i play with them. now they sit partially destroyed in boxes in the closet. I dunno why I wasted all that money and time. i should probably resell the bricks tho. there's a huge secondary market for them.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
i remember going through LEGO fever and bought a lot of Harry Potter and Star Wars sets. After building them and admiring them for a few days, i figured i had no place to display them nor do i play with them. now they sit partially destroyed in boxes in the closet. I dunno why I wasted all that money and time. i should probably resell the bricks tho. there's a huge secondary market for them.

Yeah, I don't get it either. It seems like great fun to build, but what then? I don't want Lego shit displayed in my house. And Lego sets are so stupid expensive. I wanted to do something like Lego with my wife. I ended up just buying a jigsaw puzzle. It cost 9 bucks. Close enough.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Happy hour segments were great! Hahaha, excellent stuff.

kingocfs

Stopped at the LEGO store in NYC today and saw Norm's goal in person. It is MUCH bigger than I thought it'd be, but it is awesome.

KFv9Al.jpg

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Yeah, I don't get it either. It seems like great fun to build, but what then? I don't want Lego shit displayed in my house. And Lego sets are so stupid expensive. I wanted to do something like Lego with my wife. I ended up just buying a jigsaw puzzle. It cost 9 bucks. Close enough.

My idea for "renting" Lego sets is to buy the Star Wars sets, build them, then I'll sell them off on GAF or BrickLink and get the bulk of my money back. That's fine with me since I just want to have fun building, not to keep the actual structures and display them. Although from what people are telling me, I should wait a year or two before selling and maybe even make a profit.

FStop7

Banned

It's a hobby. Like building scale models. Except it's a little more convenient due to the lack of chemical fumes, paint spills, etc.

LiK

My idea for "renting" Lego sets is to buy the Star Wars sets, build them, then I'll sell them off on GAF or BrickLink and get the bulk of my money back. That's fine with me since I just want to have fun building, not to keep the actual structures and display them. Although from what people are telling me, I should wait a year or two before selling and maybe even make a profit.

ebay works well too. selling the character pieces seems to be pretty easy. i've sold extras there before. and yea, Bricklink is great too.

What sets do you have for star wars?

Your an adult that doesn't want to play with it or display it. It's not for you.

LiK

What sets do you have for star wars?

i don't wanna list them, but i own a lot. includes the OT and prequel movies. i don't have any of the premium ones that the Tested guys are building tho. i think the only set i will never sell is the X-Wing one. i actually have that displayed.

Aurongel

I just finished listening to their most recent episode and I was surprised at how they completely overlooked the recent advances in workstation laptop portability.

I'm an owner of a 15.6 inch Thinkpad W520 and it is only marginally heavier than my previous 13 inch Thinkpad. Modern workstations (and newer model Macbooks I think...) also come equipped with software that throttles power consumption by the discrete GPU or even switches to a lower powered integrated processor while off of AC power. I thought for sure that they had discussed battery extending technologies like Optimus in a previous episode, strange that they didn't even mention it.

I did however agree with all their points on the uselessness of a dedicated numpad for most people. I'm glad that both Macbooks and Thinkpads have recently gotten away from implementing them.

I just finished listening to their most recent episode and I was surprised at how they completely overlooked the recent advances in workstation laptop portability.

I'm an owner of a 15.6 inch Thinkpad W520 and it is only marginally heavier than my previous 13 inch Thinkpad. Modern workstations (and newer model Macbooks I think...) also come equipped with software that throttles power consumption by the discrete GPU or even switches to a lower powered integrated processor while off of AC power. I thought for sure that they had discussed battery extending technologies like Optimus in a previous episode, strange that they didn't even mention it.

I did however agree with all their points on the uselessness of a dedicated numpad for most people. I'm glad that both Macbooks and Thinkpads have recently gotten away from implementing them.

I came here to post about this same exact subject. I have a Dell XPS 17 mainly due to being on the road six to eight months out of the year, but still wanting to game. I would not want to game on battery power, but sitting at home on the couch I can get five to six hours of battery life before I have to plug in. This is great since that means I can pull it out when I get home and then it is time to recharge right around when I go to bed (where I have another laptop waiting if needed).

I also wanted to complain about them constantly writing point and shoot cameras off. I can see this being viable with the iPhone since it seems to take great photos, but my Droid 2 takes photos that are pretty much useless. Until most smartphones have iPhone quality cameras I see a market for the point and shoots. I definitely do not want to lug my DSLR around when just hanging out with friends, we just toss our little camera in my wife's purse.

I had an interview recently and when they asked what my hobbies were one of the one I said was listening to podcasts and I name dropped This American Life and This Is Only A Test. If I don't get the job I'm blaming you guys because it certainly wasn't Ira's fault!

Still no call :(
Sorry, just got to vent I suppose. ::mutter stupid tested mutter::

The challenges on this LEGO build need to be much better. Three curls? C'mon, guys! Get fucking crazy here. The mittens mention was a great idea. Shots of hot sauce? Random air horns? Mini LEGO video game speed run? Guest builders (Jeff, Ryan, etc)? Get creative, gents!

FStop7

Banned

Yeah, I was SMH a bit at Will's statements. I have an 11" MB Air, a 17" MB Pro, and a 2008 Mac Pro. I "need" all of them for different purposes but the MB Pro is by far the most versatile. It has a much longer battery life than the Air and is over twice as fast. It's not a flyweight at 6 pounds, but neither is it a cinderblock. If I had to keep only one machine it would be the 17" Pro, hands down. I've traveled cross country with it a few times and it has never been a hassle.

Yeah, I was SMH a bit at Will's statements. I have an 11" MB Air, a 17" MB Pro, and a 2008 Mac Pro. I "need" all of them for different purposes but the MB Pro is by far the most versatile. It has a much longer battery life than the Air and is over twice as fast. It's not a flyweight at 6 pounds, but neither is it a cinderblock. If I had to keep only one machine it would be the 17" Pro, hands down. I've traveled cross country with it a few times and it has never been a hassle.

These guys always talk from their own experience. How could you expect them not to?

Azar

As someone who has owned laptops ranging from 8 pounds to 3 pounds, I'll never buy a computer on the heavier end of that spectrum again. Anything over 4.5 pounds is absolutely off limits, and I doubt I'll ever buy anything that heavy again. There's a big difference between something you can carry and something you want to carry, and 6 pounds becomes unpleasant pretty quickly.

sixghost

As someone who has owned laptops ranging from 8 pounds to 3 pounds, I'll never buy a computer on the heavier end of that spectrum again. Anything over 4.5 pounds is absolutely off limits, and I doubt I'll ever buy anything that heavy again. There's a big difference between something you can carry and something you want to carry, and 6 pounds becomes unpleasant pretty quickly.

It really just depends on your situation. I have a 17", but I use it in my dorm. The only time the thing ever moves is the odd day when I take it to class, or when I bring it home.

Top Bottom