• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
If you've got less money, of course you're gonna go for the Android device. An Android device that's technically comparable to the 4S costs half in rates with a contract. (At least here in Germany.)

How are you supposed to argue with that? You'd be an idiot if you went with a 4S in this case when you could save money, get the same out of the device and not have problems keeping the payments up.

I mean, by the numbers, all any customer is really doing with these devices is photos, looking stuff up on the internet, tweeting, facebooking, messaging, listening to music and calling people.
Everything else is enthusiast level. I feel like the above list is already pretty extensive.

Turns out that a lot of people have figured that out.

All one's really saying when one says "there really is only the iPhone" is that he's lost touch with reality.

If you've got less money, of course you're gonna go for the Android device. An Android device that's technically comparable to the 4S costs half in rates with a contract. (At least here in Germany.)

Wait, really? That's bizarre. All the data rates are the same for smart phones in America.

Not the data rates, sorry, language barrier in full effect. The money you pay monthly for two years to pay for the device alone. The data rates are almost the same.

Heh. THat makes much more sense. Contract prices for phones in America are pretty even. Top-tier Android devices at about $199, same as the 4s 16gb.

numble

How are you supposed to argue with that? You'd be an idiot if you went with a 4S in this case when you could save money, get the same out of the device and not have problems keeping the payments up.

I mean, by the numbers, all any customer is really doing with these devices is photos, looking stuff up on the internet, tweeting, facebooking, messaging, listening to music and calling people.
Everything else is enthusiast level. I feel like the above list is already pretty extensive.

Turns out that a lot of people have figured that out.

All one's really saying when one says "there really is only the iPhone" is that he's lost touch with reality.
They are the same price in the US, because carriers offer a larger subsidy. If you are talking about the economic rational choice, it makes more sense to buy an iPhone in the US. You pay $200 for a $650 iPhone, while for Android phones, you are usually paying $200 for a $550 phone. Or $300 for a $750 iPhone, $300 for a $650 Android phone.

And you can usually sell your old iPhone for a good price after a year (usually only drops $100-150 off unsubsidized price). Or if you prefer Android, you can get the iPhone, sell it immediately for retail price, buy an unlocked Android phone, and pocket the $100 difference.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Okay, if you're in the position where prices are equal, of course you're gonna pick the iPhone, especially if you're gonna get more battery life out of it (which still seems to be the case).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The only reason? What about all the games and apps that don't come to Android?

Yeah, that's a great reason to go with an iPhone. But this is the enthusiast approach. The guy who's got a budget set aside for games. You and me.
My understanding is that the norm picks a certain low-two-digit number of apps to buy when they get the phone, then buy the occasional procrastination / usability app every quarter or so.
You will be satisfied with an Android device if that's what you want to get out of apps.

So here's a realistic example: You have the 30-something guy with a flat in a city, a car and an underpaid fulltime desk job. He's in a relationship.
Chances are this guy will be happy with what the Android Market offers. He's already got GPS covered, he's got Google Maps, Twitter and FB, the basics are pretty much dealt with out-of-the-box. He's maybe gonna pick a radio listing/streaming app, 5 low-attention-span games (of which 4 are probably free), 2-5 apps related to his secret hobby and 3 apps related to productivity (on the level of Evernote).
If he's in an appropriate country, he's also gonna pick up to 3 video streaming apps, provided he's got WiFi (most people do).
And he's gonna get an app for his favorite 2 magazines / newspapers / whatever.
Finally, he's gonna pick up to 6 procrastination apps (chug beer, make fart noises, that kind of thing).
That's already a lot of apps for this guy, or anyone. All of this is on the Android Market.

If you have basic needs that should be covered by an app, you're gonna find what you need on both infrastructures. When you're an enthusiast of some kind, your chances of finding app after app relevant to your interests on the App Store are higher, and the median quality of those apps is going to be higher; same for the price. Like, if you're a gamer, you're gonna drown on iOS devices, and you would probably want to because choice is good and you've got your sources to pick the best stuff.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I mean, I assume they will have a big quick look on Friday for the new ipad, and that will be awesome, but still, I would like to see more stuff. Some Apps of the Day, some quick looks at weird tech, even some coffee shit is better than nothing.

Chuck

Still without luck
Chloe does NOT have fleas. Trust me.

Any chance you can say why there hasn't been any substantial video content for weeks? Even the week you were ill Norm didn't do any apps of the day or anything.

Edit: Since Will isn't going to post it in here..

Will twitter said:
We aren't podcasting live tomorrow morning, but we do have something special happening on the site a little after 10AM. Just sayin'

https://twitter.com/#!/willsmith/status/180173107233951744

Edit 2: ಠ_ಠ

willsmith

I'm just gonna leave this here....

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-14%20at%2011.13.06%20PM.png

Top Bottom