• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Or, indeed, almost every other species of mammal in the world.
A lioness on the serengeti who just gave birth is too exhausted to hunt and will get some nutrition from the placenta. Humans can get food delivered to them.

I'll grant you that eating a placenta isn't harmful. There is no solid evidence to suggest that it is beneficial either. I fall in the camp that if there is no real health benefit in doing it, then why bother?

That said, I encourage you to go through with this just so you can recount the event on the podcast and make Norm faint.

eznark

Banned
Yes we're extremely primitive in this house, it's like Tarzan and fucking Jane up in here.

Posted from my MacBook Air

I'm shocked you passed up the Retina book!

My point wasn't that you're primitive just that "because animals do it" seems like an ill conceived justification for anything.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
If chickens eat chicken flesh, there's a chance they become cannibalistic.

Life is a roguelike, I always knew it.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
In medical school, I spent two weeks in the labor & delivery unit and did about a dozen deliveries. It feels literally like a baby factory in there with so many babies popping out everyday. But it was also weird because I'm a young single guy and most of the girls I helped deliver were younger than me. It's one thing to be in a pediatrics rotation and working with kids, but it's something else to be delivering babies for girls in their teens and early 20s.

I think my favorite part was the C-sections. After the surgery, the uterus has to be sewn up with this giant suture needle, which makes such a satisfying crunch as it bites into the tissue. Indescribable sound that I haven't been able to find on Youtube

eznark

Banned
I think my favorite part was the C-sections. After the surgery, the uterus has to be sewn up with this giant suture needle, which makes such a satisfying crunch as it bites into the tissue. Indescribable sound that I haven't been able to find on Youtube

Someone get the smelling salts for Norm

I think it's actually the breast feeding stuff that freaks Norm out most. Last time he was at the house we almost busted out a breast feeding video we had just to see what would happen.

FStop7

Banned
It's dangerous to go alone! Here, take this newborn baby covered in vernix!

scan0083smsm.jpg

Vernix coating locks in freshness for days.

eznark

Banned
I think it's actually the breast feeding stuff that freaks Norm out most. Last time he was at the house we almost busted out a breast feeding video we had just to see what would happen.

It freaks me out too. But I think part of that is because of the insane amount my wife produced. We had to buy an extra chest freezer (12 cubic ft!) just to store it. She filled that damn thing up in no time. Insanity. Also the wrrrrrrr wrrrrrrrr wrrrrrrrrrr sound of the pump is annoying as hell.

DJ_Lae

Weird, breast feeding seems like it would be the least disturbing part of caring for an infant - certainly a step down from anything involving putting a placenta anywhere near a mouth. Or projectile baby shit, which they're extremely good at.

Should try and slip him some pumped breast milk at some point (or just give him cow's milk and then lie about it).

squirrelly

Serious question time. You've talked about licking your baby, you're having a tub delivered for a home birth, I assume you've hired a "midwife" and Leah sounds pretty granola.

Are you going to eat the placenta?

A lioness on the serengeti who just gave birth is too exhausted to hunt and will get some nutrition from the placenta. Humans can get food delivered to them.

I'll grant you that eating a placenta isn't harmful. There is no solid evidence to suggest that it is beneficial either. I fall in the camp that if there is no real health benefit in doing it, then why bother?

That said, I encourage you to go through with this just so you can recount the event on the podcast and make Norm faint.

Hi, Leah here!

First off, I don't plan on licking the baby ;) Yes, we have hired a midwife. Our midwife has delivered almost 500 babies and carries IV equipment, prescription drugs, oxygen, all sorts of stuff. It's not particularly granola - it's just birthing a baby at home.

I can see how I appear to be granola because of some of our choices. I don't think I'm particularly granola. I have multiple disorders - endocrine, autoimmune, and metabolic - that impact my hormones in pregnancy and postpartum. Because of that, I'm choosing to have a home birth because the statistics are in my favor for having an intervention-free, drug-free birth. I feel like having the least intervention = best possible outcome postpartum. We're open to a hospital transfer though and chose a midwife with transfer experience.

Regarding the placenta, the benefits aren't just about calories for an exhausted mother. There are studies showing that it reduces the risk of PPD (I'm higher risk due to problems mentioned above) and helps to increase milk supply (low/no supply is also a risk). So yeah, I might eat it. It's there, it's free, the midwife will inspect and prepare it in a healthy and safe way. Again, it's not because of some granola crap. Like a Master Ninja said, it's not harmful. If something isn't harmful and could potentially help me or my baby, I'll give it a shot even if it's gross. If it helps, awesome. If it doesn't, I haven't done anything harmful and I have the knowledge that I tried everything in my power to combat my bullshit health problems postpartum.

Now, about grossing out Norm...I tried to get Gary to talk about the makeup of meconium on the last podcast, but it was a no go. Maybe that's something to look forward to in the future. Norm, you might want to look into scheduling some flights. Also: mucus plugs.

Jintor

Now, about grossing out Norm...I tried to get Gary to talk about the makeup of meconium on the last podcast, but it was a no go. Maybe that's something to look forward to in the future. Norm, you might want to look into scheduling some flights. Also: mucus plugs.

Oh dear gods in heavens

squirrelly

No way am I googling it, so please, break it to me softly. What are mucus plugs?

It's a big, nasty, snot-like glob of mucus that blocks the cervix during pregnancy to prevent infections getting into the uterus. When your cervix starts to dilate, it can come out in one big chunk. Do not do a GIS.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's a big, nasty, snot-like glob of mucus that blocks the cervix during pregnancy to prevent infections getting into the uterus. When your cervix starts to dilate, it can come out in one big chunk. Do not do a GIS.

Jesus christ. I thought it was something to do with snot coming out of the babies nose. That is so much worse than I could ever have imagined. Having babies is gross.

eznark

Banned
Hi, Leah here!

First off, I don't plan on licking the baby ;) Yes, we have hired a midwife. Our midwife has delivered almost 500 babies and carries IV equipment, prescription drugs, oxygen, all sorts of stuff. It's not particularly granola - it's just birthing a baby at home.

I can see how I appear to be granola because of some of our choices. I don't think I'm particularly granola. I have multiple disorders - endocrine, autoimmune, and metabolic - that impact my hormones in pregnancy and postpartum. Because of that, I'm choosing to have a home birth because the statistics are in my favor for having an intervention-free, drug-free birth. I feel like having the least intervention = best possible outcome postpartum. We're open to a hospital transfer though and chose a midwife with transfer experience.

Regarding the placenta, the benefits aren't just about calories for an exhausted mother. There are studies showing that it reduces the risk of PPD (I'm higher risk due to problems mentioned above) and helps to increase milk supply (low/no supply is also a risk). So yeah, I might eat it. It's there, it's free, the midwife will inspect and prepare it in a healthy and safe way. Again, it's not because of some granola crap. Like a Master Ninja said, it's not harmful. If something isn't harmful and could potentially help me or my baby, I'll give it a shot even if it's gross. If it helps, awesome. If it doesn't, I haven't done anything harmful and I have the knowledge that I tried everything in my power to combat my bullshit health problems postpartum.

Thanks for that. No matter how many health benefits there are I'd never see it as not completely f'd but I'm a picky eater. I saw what came out of my wife when my daughter was born and I don't care what the hell someone does to prepare it, I'm not putting it in my mouth. But shit, if it means fewer moms drive their cars into lakes with the kids strapped into the baby seat then hopefully someone comes up with a good recipe.

For the second child I kind of wish my wife would be down for an at home birth. She almost had our daughter in my truck on the way to the hospital and we were only there for an hour (all natural birth as well, I can't imagine the drugs would be worth the day long labors) before it was all over. But then we had to sit in the hospital for two more days just because that's what the insurance says. We were both ready to head home that night. Garbage. And supposedly the second one is faster? Psh, I may as well just designate a birthing tub right now. Are midwives in the yellow pages?

That granola remark was only meant to be like 50% insulting by the way and was more related to the reasons Gary was giving and the explanation of the birthing class than the actual actions you were taking.

Top Bottom