• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Heel

On this week's episode, Gary becomes an optimist, Norm tries not to interrupt anyone, and Loyd brings some board games for show-and-tell. All that, plus an extensive discussion on Microsoft's big announcements on this very special edition of This is Only a Test!

ibwSC46kd4iCrL.gif

I love it when Loyd Case is on the podcast.

Also now that i can actually post on GAF, i want to point out that past few pages of this thread have been quite bizarre, what with Leah actually responding to this placenta business. Did not see that one coming.

Aaron

Just started listening to the new podcast, but it's great already. Audio quality was much better than I expected, and Loyd is always a welcome guest.

LiK

o gawd, the echo. i must soldier on!

edit: just finished it, great show. Really great discussion about Surface.

eznark

Banned
This is the perfect crew for big tech news. You let the conversation flow organically to what you were interested in and you didn't shut down any conversation. Also, none of you felt the need to play devils advocate or make half-assed knee jerk proclamations. Awesome show so far!

(Just getting the the what are you testing).

Megasoum

Banned
Arghh! It's the return of the infamous 30sec flashback on iTunes! Everytime you pause the podcast and then resume it will go back 30 sec. It's SUPER annoying when you listen to the podcast at work and you have to pause it ever 2-3 min to talk to somebody.

It was doing that with the old Tested podcast back when they were with Whiskey (but no other podcasts I listen to). It went away when they moved out of the office so hopefully this is just a case of not using the normal equipement (with Will away on vacation) and it will go back to normal for next week.

Other than that it's a great podcast as usual!

Fox Mulder

Surface not out until October? I DON'T CARE MOVE ON HERE'S A STORMTROOPER COSTUME

If only MS would copy one Apple announcement tactic that matters, immediate launches. Apple would have had people buying these after the event, but MS wants the hype to last for months.

Their tablet should still easily rise to the top along with the ipad and fire in recognition, but it's like they rushed the announcement.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
If only MS would copy one Apple announcement tactic that matters, immediate launches. Apple would have had people buying these after the event, but MS wants the hype to last for months.

Their tablet should still easily rise to the top along with the ipad and fire in recognition, but it's like they rushed the announcement.
they wanted to get the announcement out before Google i/o.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Question for anyone after hearing about the one guy that originally booted OSX on intel...if it was this 'easy' to accomplish, why haven't other people done the same thing since then on their own? Did apple somehow block the way through their software after it was official?

numble

Question for anyone after hearing about the one guy that originally booted OSX on intel...if it was this 'easy' to accomplish, why haven't other people done the same thing since then on their own? Did apple somehow block the way through their software after it was official?
They're called Hackintoshes. People do them today, which is easy since Macs already officially run natively on Intel hardware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86

If you're talking about the Apple engineer, It wasn't easy for the guy to do, it was easy after adopting a bunch of drivers over after a year or so, and many people think the story is exaggerated and other Apple engineers say they were always told to code for both x86 and PowerPC.

Props to Lloyd for talking about Lords of Waterdeep. I love it. Combines all the best parts of games like Stone Age and Troyes into one, and it's good fun.

eznark

Banned
They kind of cut him off, but Blood Bowl: Team Manager is really a ton of fun. It's my go to two player game. So much fun. Even my wife (who hates fantasy/sci do stuff) loves it.

They kind of cut him off, but Blood Bowl: Team Manager is really a ton of fun. It's my go to two player game. So much fun. Even my wife (who hates fantasy/sci do stuff) loves it.

Agreed. Also, you don't have to like football either. Its relatively abstract in that regard.

Arghh! It's the return of the infamous 30sec flashback on iTunes! Everytime you pause the podcast and then resume it will go back 30 sec.
If you use Instacast, you can turn this off.

This is the perfect crew for big tech news. You let the conversation flow organically to what you were interested in and you didn't shut down any conversation.
I wish Will was there to move things along during the extended tablet/phone/ecosystem discussion. It went on a bit too long and it's all been covered on the podcast before.

Megasoum

Banned
The science stuff is the best! :(

I'm not necessarly against the Science stuff, it can be really interesting. What's bugging me is Will cutting everybody else short just to talk about Adam Savage and science stuff. I understand he's the host so he decide's the flow of the show but it's annoying that it's always his way or shutup.

eznark

Banned
I don't remember Will freaking out about iPhone 4's not getting the main features of iOS 6. Also, who gives a shit about OEM's in the tablet space if Microsoft is doing it themselves?

You're trying too hard, Smith.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't remember Will freaking out about iPhone 4's not getting the main features of iOS 6. Also, who gives a shit about OEM's in the tablet space if Microsoft is doing it themselves?

You're trying too hard, Smith.

Eh, as Will said, iPhone 4 came out in 2010, lumia 800/900 at late 2011/2012. There's a difference there.

Rlan

The iPhone 3G was no longer supported for iOS upgrades 2 years after release, and with iOS6, so will iPad 1. It's just this time they've has phone makers making more phones since.

Also not like the new Android Phones are implementing 4.0 very much.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Android is a bad case too I grant you, but we're talking about a flagship phone which won't receive the next update after less than a year of being out. Even the Nexus phones get supported pretty well.

Also don't understand will's negativity on surface. Giving OEMs that push is exactly what they needed to do.

The direction they're heading with Windows Phone 8 is by no means a bad thing. The inability to have older phones run the new kernel is an unfortunate side effect of a necessary upgrade. It's not like an iOS or Android update where new features are added, it's entirely new architecture.

So while it totally sucks for Lumia owners, if it has to be it has to be. Fortunately it looks like they're ensuring this won't happen again with future phones. Saying "it's all bad" is sweeping all of the major improvements WP8 will bring under the carpet and focusing solely on the single major side effect.

Yeah, it sucks to be a phone consumer these days.

They really should pull rank and make providers do 1 year contracts... I can keep upgrading my iphone every year because I can abuse family plan, but it's still kinda annoying.

Top Bottom