• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tested.com |OT| Lean Into It If It's Racist

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The direction they're heading with Windows Phone 8 is by no means a bad thing. The inability to have older phones run the new kernel is an unfortunate side effect of a necessary upgrade. It's not like an iOS or Android update where new features are added, it's entirely new architecture.

So while it totally sucks for Lumia owners, if it has to be it has to be. Fortunately it looks like they're ensuring this won't happen again with future phones. Saying "it's all bad" is sweeping all of the major improvements WP8 will bring under the carpet and focusing solely on the single major side effect.

I think the "it's all bad" is will being grumpy as usual. I agree that the change for WinMo8 is needed but taking the position that it really sucks for enthusiast of the Windows phone platform who bought the lumia is not exactly invalid.

I think the "it's all bad" is will being grumpy as usual. I agree that the change for WinMo8 is needed but taking the position that it really sucks for enthusiast of the Windows phone platform who bought the lumia is not exactly an invalid position to take.

Indeed, it's worth complaining about. Several of my friends bought the Lumia 800 on my recommendation and they love it but I feel a little guilty now. Still, by the time WP8 ships they'll be 6 months away from renewing their contract and upgrading their hardware anyway. My contract is up and I'm considering a move to Android because I'm becoming impatient myself since I essentially have nothing worth upgrading to until the release of WP8.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, my grammar sucks. :(

Oh well, I honestly think that the lumia 800/900 are still pretty good phones, it just sucks that they are dead ended so quickly if you care about phone OSes. If I have no choice I would be more than happy with those phones, though I am doing fairly ok with a dumbphone right now.

eznark

Banned
Eh, as Will said, iPhone 4 came out in 2010, lumia 800/900 at late 2011/2012. There's a difference there.

It's the best selling iphone is it not? They're also selling them at a drastically reduced price to try and suck people in, then gimping the phone a year later? Pretty garbage if you ask me. As garbage as the Nokia phone thing in my opinion simply because it affects so many more people. Also, they don't have the "hardware limitations" excuse to fall back on, at least not with Siri or the mapping. My original Droid was doing those.

That said, I'm stoked! My wife has a 4. She wants the mapping and kid proof features, which means she'll get my 4s and I'll get the new one. Thanks, Apple!

numble

It's the best selling iphone is it not? They're also selling them at a drastically reduced price to try and suck people in, then gimping the phone a year later? Pretty garbage if you ask me. As garbage as the Nokia phone thing in my opinion simply because it affects so many more people. Also, they don't have the "hardware limitations" excuse to fall back on, at least not with Siri or the mapping. My original Droid was doing those.

That said, I'm stoked! My wife has a 4. She wants the mapping and kid proof features, which means she'll get my 4s and I'll get the new one. Thanks, Apple!
The iPhone 4 and 3GS will still run apps compiled for iOS 6 and will get Safari upgraded. WP 7.8 phones will not run WP8 apps and will not get IE10.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Apple haven't been advertising the 4 as the start of iOS.

MS have been pushing the 900 hard as the first 'real' Windows Phone... yet a few months later they are abandoning it.

It is a huge deal.

Will is going to love this one.

Apple finally released a dedicated podcast app, basically an official Instacast with less room for customization. The point is, this is what it looks like:

LCV5G.png

Yep, it's a tape machine. It even animates and jumps around if you skip through a podcast. There's a radio dial on another screen somewhere. Skeuomorphism all over my face and chest?

Will is going to love this one.

Apple finally released a dedicated podcast app, basically an official Instacast with less room for customization. The point is, this is what it looks like:

LCV5G.png

Yep, it's a tape machine. It even animates and jumps around if you skip through a podcast. There's a radio dial on another screen somewhere. Skeuomorphism all over my face and chest?

I generally have more tolerance for skeuomorphism than Will and Norm but this is fucking awful.

eznark

Banned
What is wrong with it?

Can't import podcast lists from other apps. Can't set playlists. Almost zero settings whatsoever. Ugly as fuck. Bullshit UI that makes actually navigating the app 100x harder than it needs to be.

Basically try Downcast. Then you will realize what a piece of shit this is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So far, I'm liking it better than Instacast. I haven't tried Downcast, but I think this just might be "good enough", especially since this seems to be the only Podcast app out there that can actually sync with the Music app so podcasts will appear in there, too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why does every one hate Instacast now?

I only wanted it because I was sick of waiting for things to appear on iTunes without a subscription.

Something about the interface of Instacast always bothered me. Like the position of certain UI elements was "off" compared to the standard on iOS. No concrete examples off the top of my head, though.

What is this word?
In this context, it means a graphical interface made to look like something from the real world although the design serves no practical purpose other than to project a sense of the familiar. Good examples are the leather effect binding on Apple's calendar app, the tape reels on the podcast app, etc. The way the new passbook app "shreds" used tickets is another good example.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Instacast got kind of unnecessarily complicated in the last version, I notice that what usually was super intuitive took extra steps, and old episode management got complicated for some reason. I think they knew apple was coming, and they changed everything just for the sake of it.

Aaron

You fools should get Podcaster and never look back. Great options, easy to use, and you can download over 50meg on 3g, unlike Apple's POS.

I think I'm done with instacast and need to try something else, just doesn't seem to run as well these days and I want a few more options

Random question: In instacast if you cancel a podcast download in the middle of downloading and then mark the podcast as played, does it delete the downloaded part? If you resume the download picks up where it left off. Feels like my ipod touch has less room then it should and I wonder if there are a bunch of hidden half downloaded podcasts

You fools should get Podcaster and never look back. Great options, easy to use, and you can download over 50meg on 3g, unlike Apple's POS.

Podcaster totally broke after an update once. I switched to iCatcher soon after, which has worked well enough, although it's not without it's own quirks.

One of the main reasons I ran into the loving arms of a 3rd party podcatcher was to download podcasts over 3G, since many of them post while I'm at work. That Apple's solution doesn't do this is a major strike against in in my book. The stupid skeuomorphic bullshit doesn't help, but I'd be willing to overlook it if the rest of the app was any good.

eznark

Banned

No playlists? I used it for a bit and switched. Can't remember why but I think that was it.

I've used all of them and while Downcaster is a bit poor on performance the feature set can't be beat.

eznark

Banned
I've never needed playlists, though Podcaster always goes to the next podcast in my downloaded queue.

I drive a ton so it's nice to just have playlists for continual playback and for sorting. I probably listen to three or four podcasts a day, way more if I am driving.

Some local radio guys break their podcast up into parts, so hour one part one, so I like to have all of those in one playlist as well.

I imagine it's a very rare use case but I'm glad people are making apps that feature it.

eznark

Banned
I need something on in the background while working or playing a non-narrative game. Dota and Diablo and Endless Space are great podcast games!

Can't play dota with a podcast, I don't listen to anything that is being said. I actually like to enjoy them so I just listen while driving most of the time.

Chuck

Still without luck
I decided to listen to a year old Testedcast while making lunch today. Discovered it is the 1-year anniversary of Will's cypress tree mishap.

dead-tree.jpg

It's also the 1-year anniversary of the hardest I have ever laughed during the podcast. It was when Gary likened K-Mart to "the end of the world". So good!

Top Bottom