• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Lt. Gov. calls for Fort Worth superintendent resignation over bathroom policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Party in general on this:

"When I was a teenager I totally would have dressed like a chick to rape some bitches, wouldn't you have? Hell ya you would have, FIST BUMP"

I mean, not that blatant. But pretty much that blatant.

Wasn't there a high ranking GOPer who literally said something to the effect of "If I had known, I would've dressed up as a girl as well to get in the girls bathroom haha!". I wanna say Newt Gingrich, or Sanctorum, ... it was a presidential primary candidate at the very least.

It just goes to show that the minds of these moral cruisaders are more fucked up than the minds of the "perverts" they try to fight. By focusing on those rare, bizarre and fucked up hypothetical scenario's any normal person wouldn't think off, they just display that their own minds are in the gutter.

I think most teenage boys would love to peep in the girls bathroom once, especially in the showers. I could even see one the class clowns dress up as a girl one day in order to get 'access' to the girls bathroom. So I think the 'identifies consistently as a girl' addendum is a good stipulation. Come to school in a dress for two straight weeks, get a signed note from the parents that Jack will henceforth be known as Jacqueline and I think you can weed out the pranksters and creeps.

I may understand some of the concern, I don't really understand the fervor of the debate. School's rules. Don't like it, go somewhere else. I thought this was America.

I mean, you don't even need to do that. Being allowed in the bathroom doesn't give one a pass to be a voyeur or worse. Being a man doesn't make it cool for me to start peaking under stall doors in the men's bathroom. And since the whole thing is already unenforceable without some sort of bathroom police (NO.) it wouldn't make a difference anyway. I could walk into any unattended bathroom (as in, basically every single bathroom) in the country right now, and have been able to my entire life, and I never have had, don't currently have, and never will have the right to do the shit that people are implying will happen. And yet these silly laws and rules also couldn't stop me from doing them either.

All the anti-trans bathroom fuckery is literally just a harassment license, despite the fact that it's magically supposed to stop harassment... somehow.

Hollycat

Wasn't there a high ranking GOPer who literally said something to the effect of "If I had known, I would've dressed up as a girl as well to get in the girls bathroom haha!". I wanna say Newt Gingrich, or Sanctorum, ... it was a presidential primary candidate at the very least.

It just goes to show that the minds of these moral cruisaders are more fucked up than the minds of the "perverts" they try to fight. By drawing attention on those rare, bizarre and fucked up hypothetical scenario's any normal person wouldn't think off, they just display that their own minds are in the gutter.

Huckabee.
asshole

It just goes to show that the minds of these moral cruisaders are more fucked up than the minds of the "perverts" they try to fight. By drawing attention on those rare, bizarre and fucked up hypothetical scenario's any normal person wouldn't think off, they just display that their own minds are in the gutter.

It was Huckabee.

Edit: Aaaand beaten. But hey, a link!

And I guess that's ultimately the crux of the issue. The people who are so against this are the ones so fucked in the head that they themselves can legitimately see doing this, and they think everyone else is as fucked up as they are.

hodgy100

Thing is the idea of segregated bathrooms is completely out if date now.

I'm pretty sure they come from a time when men were worried other men would prey on women so they had separate bathrooms to avoid su h problems. But now we accept homosexuality and we can say that men getting sexually abused by men and women getting sexually abused by women isn't really a thing to be concerned about then the concept of segregated bathrooms is just hold over from a bygone era.

Of course there are those that want to hold onto the past...

Archpath1

So if a transgender goes in to use restroom , no one can be in there?

But if Then some one enters, they are breaking the rules?

Just wondering

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This is typical for Texas unfortunately. The progressive cities get their laws changed by the state government.

Amalthea

Banned
And I guess that's ultimately the crux of the issue. The people who are so against this are the ones so fucked in the head that they themselves can legitimately see doing this, and they think everyone else is as fucked up as they are.
Yeah, sadly that's most likely.

Eumi

Once again backing up transphobia with assertions that 'we all know men would rape anyone just given the chance!'

Real classy.

Off topic but I came out of Civil War yesterday and went to the bathroom. I came out and stood waiting for my buddy. There was a guy holding a purse. Clearly he was uncomfortable with his masculinity as he felt the need to tell me "It's not what it looks like" I just kind of nodded and smiled. Then he proceeded by saying "It's my wife's purse" I nodded again still not caring. Then he started walking towards the women's bathroom "oooo under the new laws I can just go into the female bathroom right" he said this while acting dainty and then pursed his lips and shook his head at his own perceived ridiculousness. At this point my friend has come out and just walked away, I can tell he just doesn't want to deal with this shit. I just look at him quizzically like WTF? He says "I know right, it's ridiculous." I kind of just stared and said "seriously? Fuck off" and walked away. That was probably stupid of me to do as it could have provoked a fight but holy crap, that's the first time I've had to deal with an asshole like that outside the Internet. I mean I live in a relatively conservative area, nowhere near Texas levels but damn it was just a reminder of what an uphill battle transgender people face over something that isn't even a big deal.

braves01

Banned
The "consistently and uniformly" part of the policy sounds problematic for gender fluid people but overall it seems like a good idea.

Kthulhu

So if a transgender goes in to use restroom , no one can be in there?

But if Then some one enters, they are breaking the rules?

Just wondering

Hopefully they will explain it. I will try and keep the OP up to date.

I live in the area. Didnt know this was a thing until this thread. Good on the guy, hope he doesn't get bullied into resignation.

Saw it was trending on Facebook and didn't see a thread for it. Glad I was able to inform someone.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
skinner-sig.png

Sai-kun

Banned
Yeah because every teenage boy is just one moment away from turning into a rape machine.

I don't get how more men don't get upset by shit like this.

In an interview with News 8, Patrick called for the resignation of Dr. Scribner. "I'm asking him and those three members of his executive team, I'm calling for their resignation. We want a 15-year-old boy full of vivid vigor that every 15-year-old boy has walking into the girls bathroom?" said Patrick.

Projecting much?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I swear this whole ordeal feels like the most manufactured moral outrage in years.

It's embarrassing. I even doubt that endorsing this perverse buffoonery will result in any meaningful political gains.

Somnid

Thing is the idea of segregated bathrooms is completely out if date now.

I'm pretty sure they come from a time when men were worried other men would prey on women so they had separate bathrooms to avoid su h problems. But now we accept homosexuality and we can say that men getting sexually abused by men and women getting sexually abused by women isn't really a thing to be concerned about then the concept of segregated bathrooms is just hold over from a bygone era.

Of course there are those that want to hold onto the past...

Seriously, I thought Brown vs. The Board of Education was pretty damn clear about this.

fixedpoint

Just make all bathrooms shared bathrooms. Problem solved. Plenty of schools has this.
At least in europe.
Same practice in my university dorms here in the US. This entire situation comes across as religious bigotry thinly veiled as puritanical rigor
vigor?
Lt. Governor Dan Patrick said:
We want a 15-year-old boy full of vivid vigor that every 15-year-old boy has walking into the girls bathroom?

Elandyll

Banned
Even putting aside the transgender identity access (which I support), he basically implies that unisex bathrooms are a breeding ground for rape and molestation?

#smh

User1608

Banned
These people can fuck off considering many of their own (GOP) turn out to either be closeted, or maliciously, sexual deviants and assaulters themselves. UGH.

If the Lt. Gov is so upset about it, he should convince the state house to pass a law preventing that.
So they can get sued and lose federal funding. They don't want those problems.

Kthulhu

I swear this whole ordeal feels like the most manufactured moral outrage in years.

It's embarrassing. I even doubt that endorsing this perverse buffoonery will result in any meaningful political gains.

If anything it'll make one school district more progressive than most of the South despite its half assed policy.

If the Lt. Gov is so upset about it, he should convince the state house to pass a law preventing that.
So they can get sued and lose federal funding. They don't want those problems.

As I said earlier, he has expressed interest in passing the same kind of law that North Carolina did.

I don't agree that every 15 year old boy is a secret rapist, but let's step off the high horse for a minute. I've spent enough time on the internet to know that kids are much more deviant than we give them credit for. Guys are typically much more so due to hormones. There needs to be a solution to this problem, but it can't be under the idea that we put blind faith in teen aged boys.

Misha

Banned
I don't agree that every 15 year old boy is a secret rapist, but let's step off the high horse for a minute. I've spent enough time on the internet to know that kids are much more deviant than we give them credit for. Guys are typically much more so due to hormones. There needs to be a solution to this problem, but it can't be under the idea that we put blind faith in teen aged boys.

what? teenage boys aren't allowed in the girl's restrooms. that's not an issue regardless of however much deviancy they have (which i doubt is an issue anyway)

Sai-kun

Banned

There is a wide berth between being a horny teen (I remember being 15!) and actually sexually assaulting someone, and I genuinely can't imagine that a majority of boys just need to catch a glimpse of a boob in a locker room before they hulk out and go assault someone.

aeolist

Banned

what blind faith? if someone creeps on another person in the bathroom it doesn't matter how they're dressed, what their genitals look like, or what their gender identification is. there's punishments available for that.

and it's hardly a logical leap to assume that cisgender teenage boys will not dress as a woman and persistently identify as a woman over a long period of time just so they can get into the women's bathroom.

It's funny because if anything a school environment would be the easiest place to implement bathroom changes. Everything is documented. If it's been articulated by the students and the parents to the administration that the student is transitioning then there shouldn't be a problem since its on file, which would remove most of the concerns people have.

There's no actual problem with people just using the restroom they feel comfortable in, regardless of how horny teenage boys are.

cameron

What 'high horse' and what 'blind faith'? How about you tell us what is going to happen? What is the genuine concern here?

Sylas

You have never once hung out with a group of teenage girls, have you? There's almost no disparity between what girls say around their friends and what guys say around their friends.

Not to address anything else you posted that's kinda horseshit. Deviancy doesn't mean being a shitty person, nor does it say they'll molest someone when there's a perceived chance.

There's also an absurd degree of irony that instead of implementing better education and judicial systems to address rape and molestation, we simply assume people (in this case teenager boys pretending to be transgender(????)) are just waiting for a chance to rape someone. Fuck education, right? No point in teaching people that it's incredibly wrong and allowing the victims to seek actual justice.

There is a wide berth between being a horny teen (I remember being 15!) and actually sexually assaulting someone, and I genuinely can't imagine that a majority of boys just need to catch a glimpse of a boob in a locker room before they hulk out and go assault someone.

Here's an example of something I'd probably read on 4chan. Some lonely outsider kid takes advantage of this. Sits in a stall in the girl's bathroom, and gets off on the fact that a female is compromised and so close to him. Maybe the girl notices, maybe she doesn't. I'd still consider that a violation of her. Does the girl who notices report it or just try to forget it? We already have a problem of women under reporting sexual assault due to how difficult we make it on them.

what blind faith? if someone creeps on another person in the bathroom it doesn't matter how they're dressed, what their genitals look like, or what their gender identification is. there's punishments available for that.

and it's hardly a logical leap to assume that cisgender teenage boys will not dress as a woman and persistently identify as a woman over a long period of time just so they can get into the women's bathroom.

There is a punishment, but there has to be a victim first.

Sylas

Here's an example of something I'd probably read on 4chan. Some lonely outsider kid takes advantage of this. Sits in a stall in the girl's bathroom, and gets off on the fact that a female is compromised and so close to him. Maybe the girl notices, maybe she doesn't. I'd still consider that a violation of her. Does the girl who notices report it or just try to forget it? We already have a problem of women under reporting sexual assault due to how difficult we make it on them.

So you're willing to forego someone's comfort and gender identity so some kid on 4chan can't tell a story about something he probably didn't do in the first place? You're making an assumption--quite literally a slippery slope--based on something that hasn't happened yet. Might it?

Sure. Things happen. I'm not convinced that it'd happen more than it already does, though. A dude can go hide out in a stall in a school bathroom as it stands. Especially because the rule already said it can only happen when nobody else is in the bathroom.

So you're willing to forego someone's comfort and gender identity so some kid on 4chan can't tell a story about something he probably didn't do in the first place?

You must have not read my earlier post when I said this is an issue that needs to be solved. I think there should be accommodations for the alphabet community. It's just that everyone's reaction seems to fall in line with "Not all X" where instead of X being cops it's teen aged boys.

aeolist

Banned

this is how it works, yes. we don't punish people before the crime in any other part of society.

and there's plenty of states and municipalities that have had ordinances like this for years, both in schools and in public accommodations. we have stats for bathroom assaults and in every single one that i know of they were committed by cis men who were not dressed or presenting as women.

keeping trans people out of the bathroom helps no one.

Sylas

You must have not read my earlier post when I said this is an issue that needs to be solved. I think there should be accommodations for the alphabet community. It's just that everyone's reaction seems to fall in line with "Not all X" where instead of X being cops it's teen aged boys.

It's not all teenage boys, though. Teenagers in general are horny bastards. Again, I'm not going to presume you've spent much time around teenage guys and girls--but they aren't too dissimilar in what they discuss with their friends. You have to assume they're going to keep themselves under control in the bathroom or else you might as well have a bathroom monitor hanging out all the time.

Are we worried about gay individuals molesting someone else or getting off when in the bathroom?

Eusis

They'd need to be passing as women for long enough that the school accepts it, and at that point you might be talking an incident that can happen between lesbians anyway.

cameron

Can't believe we're discussing goofy 4chan hypotheticals. If you're into the bowels of the internet, then of course you're going to think other people here are on 'high horses'.

It's not all teenage boys, though. Teenagers in general are horny bastards. Again, I'm not going to presume you've spent much time around teenage guys and girls--but they aren't too dissimilar in what they discuss with their friends. You have to assume they're going to keep themselves under control in the bathroom or else you might as well have a bathroom monitor hanging out all the time.

Are we worried about gay individuals molesting someone else or getting off when in the bathroom?
Gay people don't exist, apparently.

_Ryo_

Very upsetting. also doesn't the policy state that transgendered people could only use the bathroom of their identified gender if no other person was present? that's kind of bullshit as well but it's a start.

I find it strange that more schools don't have coed restrooms honestly, a mall not to far away does and no one really gives a shit who enters it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom