• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Andrex said:
"Wait, my son, the planet, or me?"

"...Yes."

"Frigging smartass."

KuGsj.gif

Edit- What was with Nappa's hat?

jaffar.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
XiaNaphryz said:
It's going to take foreeeeeeeeeeever to get there it feels.

This is moving faster than any other abridged series from what I can see... And it's definitely the most consistently good.

Showmeyamoves said:

Ohhhhhhhhh lol.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Andrex said:
This is moving faster than any other abridged series from what I can see... And it's definitely the most consistently good.
Oh, I agree. It'll take a long while to get to Cell though, never mind the Buu stuff.

Articalys

Not that the numbers mean anything, but for what it's worth the 25 abridged episodes so far (bearing in mind that episode 10 was in three parts) have covered the equivalent of 80 original episodes or 38 Kai episodes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Articalys said:
Not that the numbers mean anything, but for what it's worth the 25 abridged episodes so far (bearing in mind that episode 10 was in three parts) have covered the equivalent of 80 original episodes or 38 Kai episodes.

What that really says to me is how amazing Kai is with its brevity. Granted, Kai is also usually double the length of these TFS episodes.

Acerac

Banned
Phaethon0017 said:
Will Funimation ever get wise and pay these people to do this, so I can like, get more?
Funimation ignoring Team Fourstar is the best scenario we can hope for.

Takao

Banned
Acerac said:
Funimation ignoring Team Fourstar is the best scenario we can hope for.

Actually, Funimation is very much aware of Team Fourstar and have fought for them against the Toei overlords in the past. The same has actually happened with 4Kids and Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, even though that series has decided to attack them in the current saga ...

Acerac

Banned
Takao said:
Actually, Funimation is very much aware of Team Fourstar and have fought for them against the Toei overlords in the past. The same has actually happened with 4Kids and Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, even though that series has decided to attack them in the current saga ...
I wasn't aware that Funimation was aware of them, but that doesn't change my opinion that TFS being ignored is the best scenario for all involved. Even if Funi knows they exist, it doesn't mean they can't still be ignored.

I can't imagine Funimation taking an active interest in the project would result in anything other than the end of the series.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Takao said:

Lol, YGO TAS always attacked 4kids. It's one of the longest running jokes. :p

Takao

Banned
Acerac said:
I wasn't aware that Funimation was aware of them, but that doesn't change my opinion that TFS being ignored is the best scenario for all involved. Even if Funi knows they exist, it doesn't mean they can't still be ignored.

I can't imagine Funimation taking an active interest in the project would result in anything other than the end of the series.

Well duh, if Funimation were to get involved it would mean that Toei would have to be involved, and have everything approved by them. Toei probably would shoot most of that down.

Andrex said:
Lol, YGO TAS always attacked 4kids. It's one of the longest running jokes. :p

Well the current storyline is entirely based on making jokes on their behalf. Coincidentally, that show deciding to deviate so much from its source has made it very unenjoyable.

Acerac

Banned
Takao said:
Well duh, if Funimation were to get involved it would mean that Toei would have to be involved, and have everything approved by them. Toei probably would shoot most of that down.

Well the current storyline is entirely based on making jokes on their behalf. Coincidentally, that show deciding to deviate so much from its source has made it very unenjoyable.
So despite the fact that your initial response to my post seemed (to me at least) disagreeable to my post, we actually agree 100%! Good shit!

I also agree about Yu-gi-oh abridged losing its' charm. It was awesome while it lasted, but most (not all) parodies have a habit of burning out sooner or later. I'm just happy that it spawned the awesome DBZ Abridged, I didn't think the brilliance of the early Yu-gi-oh abridged would ever be matched considering how awful most of the imitations were.

Andrex said:
Ditto. It's doubly surprising to me that DBZ Abridged has managed to stay consistent, then again I think it was around episode 25 that YGO TAS was losing steam... or maybe a bit before then. Hope TFS can keep it coming. Latest episode shows they not only still have it but are actually getting better and funnier.

I agree that DBZ abridged is as good as ever. Better than ever? Episodes 8 and 9 are a pretty high bar to topple. DBZ Abridged Kai is right up there with them, but abridged Nappa is comedy genius.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Acerac said:
So despite the fact that your initial response to my post seemed (to me at least) disagreeable to my post, we actually agree 100%! Good shit!

I also agree about Yu-gi-oh abridged losing its' charm. It was awesome while it lasted, but most (not all) parodies have a habit of burning out sooner or later. I'm just happy that it spawned the awesome DBZ Abridged, I didn't think the brilliance of the early Yu-gi-oh abridged would ever be matched considering how awful most of the imitations were.

Ditto. It's doubly surprising to me that DBZ Abridged has managed to stay consistent, then again I think it was around episode 25 that YGO TAS was losing steam... or maybe a bit before then. Hope TFS can keep it coming. Latest episode shows they not only still have it but are actually getting better and funnier.

It wasn't even that long of a wait, and yet they gave us an episode well worth waiting much longer for. Team Four Star is amazing.

I loved the way they handled Piccolo's speech. Starts off as expected as I wanted it to be, and ends with an unexpected outcome.

jman2050

Andrex said:

I thought all the stuff leading up to the Noah Arc in YGO TAS was golden, and that was relatively recent (sorta). The filler arc is pretty bad though.

Acerac said:
I also agree about Yu-gi-oh abridged losing its' charm. It was awesome while it lasted, but most (not all) parodies have a habit of burning out sooner or later.

I believe YGOTAS could regain that charm if it went back to being a parody/abridging of Yu-Gi-Oh episodes instead of an "in-jokes spawned by the series repeated over and over" fap fest.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jman2050 said:
I thought all the stuff leading up to the Noah Arc in YGO TAS was golden, and that was relatively recent (sorta). The filler arc is pretty bad though.

The back half of the Battle City arc suffered IMO because of all the hamfisted Adult Swim references. The first half was OK but not as good as the Pegasus stuff, but that's mostly because the series (and the dub) itself almost wrote the parody itself.

Obsessed said:
I believe YGOTAS could regain that charm if it went back to being a parody/abridging of Yu-Gi-Oh episodes instead of an "in-jokes spawned by the series repeated over and over" fap fest.

That too.

Suairyu

Banned
Ooh, so Funimation already got wise. Just tried to watch the first episode.

TFS Abridged Parody Episode 1 said:
This video contains content from ABGroup and funimation entertainment, one or more of whom have blocked it on copyright grounds.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
How about the part when...

I think it was Gohan that asked Krillin: "So after the solar flare did you cut Frieza in half with the Kienzan?", Krillin: "To answer your question no I did not.."

lolololol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm not really very knowledgeable when it comes to copyright laws, but even if Funi or Toei had a problem with these guys, would they even be able to do anything against them, since these guys are creating parodies? Isn't satire protected under the first amendment? Plus it's not like they're showing all episode footage, music, and such either.

GaimeGuy said:
Vegeta is the best part of Abridged.

He truly is. I found myself enjoying him a lot more than I thought, probably due to the fact that he has a nice balance of being both evil and funny.

Oblivion said:
I'm not really very knowledgeable when it comes to copyright laws, but even if Funi or Toei had a problem with these guys, would they even be able to do anything against them, since these guys are creating parodies? Isn't satire protected under the first amendment? Plus it's not like they're showing all episode footage, music, and such either

Yeah parody is considered fair use, but if a company files a CaD Youtube generally errs on the side of caution and bans the "offending" account.

Rapstah

Oblivion said:
I'm not really very knowledgeable when it comes to copyright laws, but even if Funi or Toei had a problem with these guys, would they even be able to do anything against them, since these guys are creating parodies? Isn't satire protected under the first amendment? Plus it's not like they're showing all episode footage, music, and such either.
Toei is a Japanese company, isn't it? That usually complicates copyright a lot.

Takao

Banned
That doesn't matter, professional parodies almost never actually use footage, music, and sound effects from the show. They usually mimick them. As well, fair-use laws and the such don't apply to the entire world, which is complicated given there's about about a dozen different licensors for Dragon Ball around the world, and the actual production originates from Japan.

Suairyu said:
Ooh, so Funimation already got wise. Just tried to watch the first episode.

AB Group is the European licensor. Going to that Youtube page, someone acting as Funimation flagged it. Actual Funimation take downs have the company's name in capitals, and usually list the Japanese studio alongside them. If Team Four Star disputes the problem with Youtube, they'll put it back.

Azure J

Wow, I'm really late it seems! :lol

I just caught the episode today and damn this stuff is excellent.
Piccolo had the two best sequences with the original fusion scene and arriving to Magus' Theme of all things. This is one of the very rare parodies to use video game pop culture to its fullest effectiveness imo.

Varna

Thought a new episode was out. :(

Normal DBZ is pretty much unwatchable for me now. The amount it waste on bull shit is amazing. I keep thinking the abridged story is missing some huge chunks of story but nope (never watched the Freiza saga all the way through) and even the fighting is more exciting because they don't drag forever (I bet you that whole filler shit with Freiza's destructo disc doesn't happen).

Top Bottom