• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

totowhoa

Banned
Less. Most episodes were 10 minutes. If we think of them as 30 minute episodes, to match the original series, he condense 107 into 11.

That's impressive.

Loved watching all 3 parts back to back and the bonus scene at the end. Awesome finish to this season. I sort of hope there's a little bit of a break so that they can work to streamline the release of these a bit.

wildfire

Banned
Nappa is the greatest thing to come out of any abridged series.

Kneel before Zodd

a4eBerserk_06divx5ogm_000703035.jpg

AniHawk

sorry for the false alarm guys (but you shouldn't be expecting new stuff for a while). just have been watching season 2 from the start and man it's so damn good. season 1 has all the good one liners, but there are so many more callbacks and character moments in season 2.

it also kinda gave me an appreciation for the actual dbz. it's not a great show by any means, but i really liked how they kept escalating the threat from dodoria + zarbon to the ginyu force, and then frieza himself (and his many forms). i think everything was sorta downhill from here, but i did like the way cell was defeated in the anime, with the whole group of fighters contributing (in a really minor way) to defeating cell.

i think i was well into high school when the buu saga started airing in the states so i didn't really watch it much. kiiiinda wish it gets skipped and these guys do dbgt abridged instead.

sorry for the false alarm guys (but you shouldn't be expecting new stuff for a while). just have been watching season 2 from the start and man it's so damn good. season 1 has all the good one liners, but there are so many more callbacks and character moments in season 2.

it also kinda gave me an appreciation for the actual dbz. it's not a great show by any means, but i really liked how they kept escalating the threat from dodoria + zarbon to the ginyu force, and then frieza himself (and his many forms). i think everything was sorta downhill from here, but i did like the way cell was defeated in the anime, with the whole group of fighters contributing (in a really minor way) to defeating cell.

i think i was well into high school when the buu saga started airing in the states so i didn't really watch it much. kiiiinda wish it gets skipped and these guys do dbgt abridged instead.

k

AniHawk

Boo saga is more entertaining than Cell.

i liked the series less and less the more it became the super saiyan power half-hour.

plus after frieza the threat level wasn't so high anymore. they had already gone far into space to defeat an evil space tyrant in space, as well has his (sort of) army. then they go back to earth and fight robots and a bubblegum monster.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
All the arcs are super boring at first, takes forever for Frieza and Cell and Buu to even show up. Although, the tournament was more filler-like than the training for the saiyans and the trip to Namek.

Takao

Banned
All the arcs are super boring at first, takes forever for Frieza and Cell and Buu to even show up. Although, the tournament was more filler-like than the training for the saiyans and the trip to Namek.

If you're referring to the Afterlife Tournament, than that is actually filler. If you're referring to the 25th Budokai than, nah.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you're referring to the Afterlife Tournament, than that is actually filler. If you're referring to the 25th Budokai than, nah.

Forgot about the Afterlife tourney. I think I just dropped out when that was airing and didn't start watching until stuff actually started happening again.

Then there was all the lameness in Babidi's ship... Lol Pui Pui and Yakon.

jaxword

Forgot about the Afterlife tourney. I think I just dropped out when that was airing and didn't start watching until stuff actually started happening again.

Then there was all the lameness in Babidi's ship... Lol Pui Pui and Yakon.

Most of Buu was lame up until Super Buu, and even then was pretty lame with Gotenks. No, the Vegeta/Goku fight doesn't count because it was neutered later anyways.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Didn't Toriyama intend to end the series after Freeza? I know he had plans to end it after Emperor Pilaf (but it got popular so he kept going) and Cell (editors forced him) but some parts felt like Freeza was the grand finale.
The Cell ending was fine. Goku passed the torch to Gohan and died, Gohan was a badass, and all was well.

Conor 419

Banned
Unfortunately, Bulma will always be the slutty whore! Yamcha didn't deserve that kind of treatment! But then again, everyone that wasn't a Saiyan shouldn't have gotten that treatment. Tien got a little bit of cool stuff to do, barely but everyone else is just fodder.

Poor Freeza also ending up jobbing to Trunks was so stupid and sad, but funny.

Tien vs Buu was the worst fight to come out of entertainment.

Cheerilee

The Cell ending was fine. Goku passed the torch to Gohan and died, Gohan was a badass, and all was well.

Goku could've just died with Freeza on Namek. Dead twice, can't come back. Being the Legendary Super Saiyan was a one-shot deal. Krillin and Chaotsu stay dead too.

Is Gohan the only character not to have died at least once by the end of the Freeza saga?

-MB-

Goku could've just died with Freeza on Namek. Dead twice, can't come back. Being the Legendary Super Saiyan was a one-shot deal. Krillin and Chaotsu stay dead too.

Is Gohan the only character not to have died at least once by the end of the Freeza saga?

Guess they didn't have the gutss to kill off a child character yet.

i haven't seen dbgt, and i know it's supposed to be a trainwreck. the buu stuff was just super boring from what i'd seen.

-goku gets turned into a little kid by emperor pilaf because there's a second set of EVVIIIIL dragon balls that will blow up the planet unless they're brought back within a year

-annoying attempt at recapturing the spirit of OG dragon ball

-Alien Dr. Gero makes a cyborg who's "more powerful than Majin Buu" (fuck) and then makes a biological weapon Kid Buu (it's not Kid Buu, but he looks just like Kid Buu) named "Baby" (fuck) who hates saiyans and can take over people's bodies

-Planet Vegeta comes back as Earth's second moon

-Piccolo dies permanently on the exploding Earth to keep the evil dragon balls from hurting anyone ever again

-ss4 jesus christ

-Alien Dr. Gero and Real Dr. Gero team up in Hell to make a Hell Android 17 who fuses with Earth Android 17 to create a hell portal and whatever the fuck and gets goku stuck in hell and piccolo gets himself sent to hell forever so that he can save goku

-Attempting to fix all this stupid nonsense with the real Dragon Balls causes the one half-way good idea that the show had: "what if overusing the dragon balls every time you had a problem actually broke them, because they scattered all over the planet for a reason" and the reason is evil dragon people wait okay the good idea passed

-ssj4 gogeta god fucking damn it

-goku absorbs the dragon balls (he's still a kid whenever he's not ss4, btw) and flies away with shenron... somewhere

-a bad epilogue

jaxword

Alien Dr. Gero makes a cyborg who's "more powerful than Majin Buu" (fuck) and then makes a biological weapon Kid Buu (it's not Kid Buu, but he looks just like Kid Buu) named "Baby" (fuck) who hates saiyans and can take over people's bodies

On paper, these are both more interesting concepts than Buu, who is an immortal bubblegum shapeshifter who turns people into candy.

AniHawk

-goku gets turned into a little kid by emperor pilaf because there's a second set of EVVIIIIL dragon balls that will blow up the planet unless they're brought back within a year

-annoying attempt at recapturing the spirit of OG dragon ball

-Alien Dr. Gero makes a cyborg who's "more powerful than Majin Buu" (fuck) and then makes a biological weapon Kid Buu (it's not Kid Buu, but he looks just like Kid Buu) named "Baby" (fuck) who hates saiyans and can take over people's bodies

-Planet Vegeta comes back as Earth's second moon

-Piccolo dies permanently on the exploding Earth to keep the evil dragon balls from hurting anyone ever again

-ss4 jesus christ

-Alien Dr. Gero and Real Dr. Gero team up in Hell to make a Hell Android 17 who fuses with Earth Android 17 to create a hell portal and whatever the fuck and gets goku stuck in hell and piccolo gets himself sent to hell forever so that he can save goku

-Attempting to fix all this stupid nonsense with the real Dragon Balls causes the one half-way good idea that the show had: "what if overusing the dragon balls every time you had a problem actually broke them, because they scattered all over the planet for a reason" and the reason is evil dragon people wait okay the good idea passed

-ssj4 gogeta god fucking damn it

-goku absorbs the dragon balls (he's still a kid whenever he's not ss4, btw) and flies away with shenron... somewhere

-a bad epilogue

see this sounds pretty great and i want to see tfs tackle it.

even if they did a dbgt kai abridged for each 'saga' it'd be fun.

the thing about frieza and cell is that there was a pretty understandable ranking of power. dodoria + zarbon -> ginyu force -> frieza and his four forms -> frieza at 100%

androids -> better androids -> cell -> 2nd form cell -> final form cell -> final form cell 100%

buu absorbs lots of people but then when he doesn't have lots of people he gets even more powerful, i think? there was also the fusion stuff but there were two fusion stuffs- the earrings and the dance. there was also ss3, but that didn't seem to do anything without fusion but i don't know because i didn't really watch the buu saga. i mean at least ss2 was there and it murdered cell all on its own.

Levyne

Banned
That's a good point about the ranking order. I'm still not sure who's stronger, Super Buu or Kid Buu. Though I'm sure a bigger fan could point out the answer and give obvious evidence.

LordAlu

That's a good point about the ranking order. I'm still not sure who's stronger, Super Buu or Kid Buu. Though I'm sure a bigger fan could point out the answer and give obvious evidence.
It was something to do with Fat Buu. Fat Buu came about when Kid Buu absorbed the Grand Kai(?) and Grand Kai's pureness made him weaker and childlike. Then absorbing others started to make him stronger again and less childlike. Then when Vegeta ripped out the Fat Buu part and they took everyone else out of Super Buu he went back to his original Kid Buu form which happened to be the most powerful.

It was... confusing.

Levyne

Banned
It was something to do with Fat Buu. Fat Buu came about when Kid Buu absorbed the Grand Kai(?) and Grand Kai's pureness made him weaker and childlike. Then absorbing others started to make him stronger again and less childlike. Then when Vegeta ripped out the Fat Buu part and they took everyone else out of Super Buu he went back to his original Kid Buu form which happened to be the most powerful.

It was... confusing.

I always thought of it that maybe Kid Buu was stronger but didn't think out his battles or strategize when he fought, making Super Buu more dangerous..

Or maybe Super Buu is stronger than Kid Buu but since Kid's attack style is more wild and all over the place and doesn't really care who or what he harms he's actually more dangerous.

Kokonoe

Banned
Buu saga is poorly written, it's not quite GT, but it's still pretty bad.

1. Gohan's personality completely changes, now that's not to say this isn't possible to change a bit, but Gohan was a completely different person in this arc.

2. Super Saiyan forms and transformation became essentially fodder. In the Cell saga, it was amazing that Gohan was even able to turn Super Saiyan at such an age, but this was due to the fact that he always had a mysterious power inside of him that he couldn't control for more than a few seconds.

In the Buu saga, Goten becomes Super Saiyan sparring with his mother, completely degrading all the transformations that previous took place. Trunks had a similar transformation, and it wasn't due to circumstances and power that it was before.

3. Piccolo is made into a joke, and he was never as frightened and stiff like this ever before. He would fight practically anyone, even if he knew the circumstances weren't in his favor. He gets turned to stone in a blink of an eye by Dabura, which he could've dodged if he wasn't completely paralyzed by an irrational fear.

Dabura's spit is also rather silly in itself with all the Z fighters have endured over the years, surely something like that wouldn't stop them.

4. Goku died defending the earth, and he left the earth up to Gohan. All the character development from since the Saiyan saga had Gohan going through all these trials, and all these comparisons to be that he was the one who would take over his fathers job as Earth's guardian.

They completely disregarded all that development and brought Goku back as a main stay, even though his son was his replacement. It eventually gets to the point where Gohan dies for the very first time because he's knocked out on the ground and Buu destroys the planet with one move.

5. Buu's absorbing is ridiculous. In the fights with Gotenks VS Buu, Gohan VS Buu, etc, they fight as if they're equals or are more powerful. It doesn't make sense that a simple blob on Buu's body has the power to completely contain, and absorb them while rendering them completely useless.

It happened to Gotenks while he was at full power.

6. The Mystic Gohan part makes absolutely no sense. It gets to a point where Gohan is training with this legendary Z Sword because with the training from it, it'll give him the strength to defeat Buu. He lifts up the sword, they break it eventually and out comes the previous Supreme Kai.

He apparently is a Kai that fused with a random witch that apparently can unlock people's power. So he senses that Gohan has immense amount of power stored away that hasn't been unlocked (which Super Saiyan 2 was suppose to be this), and they unlock his power after 5 or more episodes. It was even a theme, all this build up, and what happens when he gets to Buu? After one episode, he is absolutely beat down by Buu and makes no offensive against Buu in any way, shape, or form.

There's more I'm missing, but I'd have to revisit it some more. Buu saga was poorly written, but it's still okay to watch if you don't take it seriously.

totowhoa

Banned
There's more I'm missing, but I'd have to revisit it some more. Buu saga was poorly written, but it's still okay to watch if you don't take it seriously.

I agree with all your points, but when Goku and Vegeta get turned into candy and fight his innards... at that point, I was only watching for the sake of finishing the series.

BHZ Mayor

stuff about how badly written the Buu saga was

I have to agree that the Buu Saga was poorly written. To add, how about when Majin Buu split off into Gray Buu and Good Buu? How is it that when Gray Buu eats Good Buu, he somehow becomes a stronger and different being? And then on top of that, when good Buu is removed, he becomes Kid Buu instead of Gray Buu.

As for the fusions and transformations. I think there was an excess of ideas and they couldn't figure out how to incorporate them well, so they just threw them all out there. Notice how all of the new forms, from Majin Vegeta to Mystic Gohan all get evenly matched fights (or even fights in their favor) with the different forms of Buu until some plot point turns the tide.

And Gohan's death just irks me. Gohan would've wiped the floor with Kid Buu had he been brought to the Kai planet.

I have to agree that the Buu Saga was poorly written. To add, how about when Majin Buu split off into Gray Buu and Good Buu? How is it that when Gray Buu eats Good Buu, he somehow becomes a stronger and different being? And then on top of that, when good Buu is removed, he becomes Kid Buu instead of Gray Buu.

As for the fusions and transformations. I think there was an excess of ideas and they couldn't figure out how to incorporate them well, so they just threw them all out there. Notice how all of the new forms, from Majin Vegeta to Mystic Gohan all get evenly matched fights (or even fights in their favor) with the different forms of Buu until some plot point turns the tide.

And Gohan's death just irks me. Gohan would've wiped the floor with Kid Buu had he been brought to the Kai planet.
Would've he, though? Goku said Kid Buu was twice as strong as ever before or something.

Kokonoe

Banned
Would've he, though? Goku said Kid Buu was twice as strong as ever before or something.

Goku also said he could have easily killed Kid Buu as SSJ3 if he didn't let Vegeta have his chance. Also think about it, a being fused with Gotenks, Mystic Gohan, and Piccolo vs Buu with nothing absorbed. He was just pure evil in his new form, not more powerful.

Kokonoe

Banned
what is this? because it sounds like the one possibly redeeming thing of the saga.

You know the part in the Cell Saga where Tien comes in and halts Cell? Well imagine that with Buu, except he does the Tri Beam against a small blast at Gohan to save him, and he fires the Tri Beam at Buu which does nothing at all.

Tien is then knocked out with (if I remember right) one kick.

*EDIT*

Tien VS Buu

*EDIT2*

I remembered partially wrong, but the just of it was correct. Also that video doesn't contain the full thing as I cannot find the full part. I believe after Buu is cut in half, he sneaks up on Tien and kicks him once, knocking him out. (in which Dende has to heal him or he'll die)

Conor 419

Banned
You know the part in the Cell Saga where Tien comes in and halts Cell? Well imagine that with Buu, except he does the Tri Beam against a small blast at Gohan to save him, and he fires the Tri Beam at Buu which does nothing at all.

Tien is then knocked out with (if I remember right) one kick.

*EDIT*

Tien VS Buu

*EDIT2*

I remembered partially wrong, but the just of it was correct. Also that video doesn't contain the full thing as I cannot find the full part. I believe after Buu is cut in half, he sneaks up on Tien and kicks him once, knocking him out. (in which Dende has to heal him or he'll die)

Yeah, you're completely right. Hence my post above about how this fight is the worst thing to come out of an entire legacy of human entertainment. It's disgraceful how they managed their characters.

Goku also said he could have easily killed Kid Buu as SSJ3 if he didn't let Vegeta have his chance. Also think about it, a being fused with Gotenks, Mystic Gohan, and Piccolo vs Buu with nothing absorbed. He was just pure evil in his new form, not more powerful.
Doesn't that just mean Goku is more powerful than Gohan? Goku and Vegeta both show surprise and mention Buu should be gettinge weaker, not stronger, right after they all leave Buu's body. It doesn't make sense.

Kokonoe

Banned
Doesn't that just mean Goku is more powerful than Gohan? Goku and Vegeta both show surprise and mention Buu should be gettinge weaker, not stronger, right after they all leave Buu's body. It doesn't make sense.

Mystic Gohan was able to whipe the floor with Super Buu, SSJ3 Gotenks was on the same level as Super Buu, and Majin Buu was able to put up some what of a fight against Kid Buu, yet got defeated quickly by Evil Buu.

If we're going by this, Mystic Gohan should have more than capable of defeating Kid Buu as he was able to whipe the floor with Super Buu. Mystic Gohan is either Goku SSJ3 level or stronger.

Keep in mind, this is poorly written, and most things don't make sense.

They should have just written the "Mystic _____" upgrade for Piccolo, since he actually needs it and would suit him more.

From what I remember the Buu Saga really didn't care about power levels anymore. It was pretty random who would win, even when a character was at a distinct advantage.

Bulma's also too old for General Blue anyways.

Intended Endings of Dragon Ball
Fascinating how out of control the series was since Dragon Ball itself. DBZ having supposed to be the end of Dragon Ball (where it got the Z from) and not the beginning of a new series is also mind-blowing and makes sense since it finally reveals Goku's true origins.

AniHawk

Fascinating how out of control the series was since Dragon Ball itself. DBZ having supposed to be the end of Dragon Ball (where it got the Z from) and not the beginning of a new series is also mind-blowing and makes sense since it finally reveals Goku's true origins.

i watched some scenes from dead zone and man, the tone of that is waaaaaay better than the tone of the clips from the buu saga.

it was cool watching goku actually dodge attacks (which were probably rotoscoped). and using the power pole and other stuff that was from dragon ball. him not being a huge musclebound weirdo was cool too.

TreIII

They should have just written the "Mystic _____" upgrade for Piccolo, since he actually needs it and would suit him more.

Piccolo just got the short stick, in general.

> Started out as being the son/re-incarnation of the "Demon King"; LOL, not anymore, he's an alien too! (I loved when TFS poked fun at that)

> Is on King Kai's planet for a while; for whatever reason, doesn't learn Kaio-ken, in spite of easily being the next Z-fighter after Goku who probably could most benefit from it, considering how Piccolo's body works

> We get hints during the Namek arc that if he "reunited with his original half", he would be even more powerful than ever, later alluded to that fusing with Kami would surpass even Goku and Vegeta's SSJ forms; it FINALLY happens...and the best we can say is that he was able to go toe to toe with 17, for all that build up.

> (Further derailment occurs, as outlined above)

Making Piccolo into "just another alien" was when I would argue his character was derailed. He was so much cooler as a Demon King who was just as capable as Goku, PLUS was teaching his greatest enemy's son techniques that might have been employed against him one day (if the possibility of him resuming his desires for a Demon World occurred again).

Yeah, it's yet another tale of Dragon Ball's lackluster storytelling, but it really saddened me to see cool characters like Tenshinhan and Piccolo fall so far from the spotlight once it became the SSJ parade.

Top Bottom